Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

beans dont do it. I am going through the same thing. I have 2 inches of newgrowth, 3 inches of texturized, and the rest is bone straight. I get discouraged too. But think about what the result will be like. put in ur mind that if u relax tomorrow u might get disappointed with the result. I am going to get a trim too once i relax, so i think that if i relax soon then after the trim i am going to be only just 1 inch longer.. Be patient dont do it Please. think about what ur end result will be like when u get relaxed rather then the shrinkage now

Best Black Girl, I wish I could give you a million thank you's for this encouraging post!! Thank you! :blowkiss:

I'm in a mood today...the demarcation line is so obvious it is really getting on my nerves. The two textures are not difficult to take care of. That line is just bothering me today. I'm sure I will be over this quickly. If not I will start doing twistouts and maybe use some of these rollers I have.

Best Black Girl, I wish I could give you a million thank you's for this encouraging post!! Thank you! :blowkiss:

You're welcome.. U are so close to the finish line. You are one of the people i am following on this challenge. u r one of my inspiration. Cant wait to see ur final result from this stretch:blush:

I picked it up multiple times and put it down for that same reason. But Nexxus is not working for me this far into my stretch so I had to try something. I'm glad I did. My hair seems to like cones.

Oh don't get me wrong SP, I like how they feel on my hair too but after a few months of them, my hair starts to break in a really bad way, so I've learned to keep their usage to a bare minimum or not at all.

27 weeks post and the shrinkage is killing me!! I even used heat, but still, the shrinkage is out of control! I have NG, texturized, and bone straight hair, so I feel like this makes it worse...ladies, what are you doing to NOT get discouraged with all the shrinkage?? I actually feel like ending my stretch early just to see some real results. Someone please talk me off the ledge!!

Try to hold out beans, it will get better if you keep up with protective styling your hair. I can only stretch this long with my hair in braids or wigs or cornrows. I am not very good at bunning but a lot of ladies swear by it. Try something, anything that keeps your hands out of your hair.

I must say though that 27 weeks is a good length of time but if your goal is a lot longer, then stretch longer.

Ive been an unoffical partcipant for the last 10 weeks. Now, I will like to join in with everyone else. I am currently 10 weeks post relaxer and I am going for 30 weeks. Whew....:ohwell::spinning: To type that took some thought..hehe

My longest stretch to date was just 21 weeks and that was pretty successful. I am sure with the support and knowledge of you ladies I can so it. Good Luck to Everyone

Ive been an unoffical partcipant for the last 10 weeks. Now, I will like to join in with everyone else. I am currently 10 weeks post relaxer and I am going for 30 weeks. Whew....:ohwell::spinning: To type that took some thought..hehe

My longest stretch to date was just 21 weeks and that was pretty successful. I am sure with the support and knowledge of you ladies I can so it. Good Luck to Everyone

Welcome prettyeyez0724:yep:.

I'm still holding on. My braider is booked solid until Nov and I really need some braids to get me to the holidays.

26 week stretch ends today... I'm gonna find 7-10 minutes of alone time tomorrow...just me and Phyto Index I...

Good luck to all continuing stretchers!!!

By the way, I am checking in at 36 weeks and 1 day post today. 16 weeks minimum to go to reach 1 year but 50 more weeks to get to 20 months - my ultimate dream stretch time frame.

Has anyone thought about doing a 2 year stretch? Just curious..I was thinkin about trying it. I know Im a looney toon.

You done good Mona:yep:. Are you repeating the 26 weeks stretch?

Thanks Lady Aggie :hug2:

Congrats on your stretch....you ain't playin..

Edited to add: Nope, not repeating...think that the 16-20 week mark works best for me. But I salute all those that can go longer :)

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about doing a 2 year stretch? Just curious..I was thinkin about trying it. I know Im a looney toon.

Well you know bedazzled, that seems very tempting for me seeing that I want to end my ultimate stretch at 20 months. Sooooo, what's another 4 months? If you are serious, I'll do it with you as a support for each other. I am already over 8 months, how far along are you?

Thanks Lady Aggie :hug2:

I may give it another shot...it all starts with the first week, huh? Next Friday....1 wk post touch up & then take it from there :yep:

Congrats on your stretch....you ain't playin..

Thank you Mona. I am dead serious about my stretch this time:yep:.

Well you know bedazzled, that seems very tempting for me seeing that I want to end my ultimate stretch at 20 months. Sooooo, what's another 4 months? If you are serious, I'll do it with you as a support for each other. I am already over 8 months, how far along are you?

I'm only 6 months as of right now. But I am willing to try! If I'm not too far behind you OR since I, ending my stretch in april & you a bit after me. Once you end your stretch we can start together same time & g on a 2 year stretch together! :yep:

OK... I miscounted... I am at 11 weeks post not 12 weeks. But, I'm still cool. Relaxing December 4th will put me at 20 weeks. I am going to stretch until then and reassess to see if I feel I can make it to April 23 (40 weeks). I have an event the first week of May so I will be relaxing for that anyway.

If I relax in December, I will do another 20 week stretch to relax at the end of April. After that, I am going to do 17-18 week stretches to relax 3 times a year. I just like my hair straight too much to keep stretching 20+ weeks. I am doing it now to see if I can make APL by May.

may i please join the challenge? when i was a lurker, i read many helpful tips here during my 6 month stretch and my almost 3 month stretch. & now as a member, i would like to join:yep:. right now, i'm about 3 weeks post.

may i please join the challenge? when i was a lurker, i read many helpful tips here during my 6 month stretch and my almost 3 month stretch. & now as a member, i would like to join:yep:. right now, i'm about 3 weeks post.

Sure smartblackchic, welcome to the challenge. How long you want to stretch for this time?

26 week stretch ends today... I'm gonna find 7-10 minutes of alone time tomorrow...just me and Phyto Index I...

Good luck to all continuing stretchers!!!
Good job MonaLisa :grin:!

I'm planning to do a 2 year stretch. It would end on July 1, 2011. I may end it on July 25th, 2011 since that is my b-day.

I'm only 6 months as of right now. But I am willing to try! If I'm not too far behind you OR since I, ending my stretch in april & you a bit after me. Once you end your stretch we can start together same time & g on a 2 year stretch together! :yep:

A 20 months stretch will take me to September 22nd of next year and since we're only 2 months apart, I would love it if we go for it this time around if you'd like.

For me it would mean that a 2 year stretch would end on January 22nd, 2011. I am willing to go for it now if you'd like and if you would like for me to hang in there with you the extra 2 months until you reach 2 years, then I would for support.

I'm already in that stretching mode and I would really like to continue it for as long as I can - and 2 years seem possible for me.

Let's try it, let's do it:grin::yep:! I could use a stretching buddy. That means that I would have to update my fotki album to include this new hair goal.

The only rule is that we provide an absolute minimum time frame for ending it, say 18-20 months or so and that is only if we really foresee not making the 24 months. What do you think?

I'm planning to do a 2 year stretch. It would end on July 1, 2011. I may end it on July 25th, 2011 since that is my b-day.

Well in that case, I might as well go for it then. I hope bedazzled join us in this wonderful endeavor. I could use all the support I can get:grin:.

You know I keep saying stretch but I mean 2 year transition. Still we can all do it together :yep:. I gotta get my terminology right.

You know I keep saying stretch but I mean 2 year transition. Still we can all do it together :yep:. I gotta get my terminology right.

Technically I'm transitioning too but it's to texlaxed hair. I am cuttting off all the bone-straight relaxed hair anyway, so I qualify I think. Some may disagree but hey, I'm happy with classing it as a transitional stretch:grin:.

A 20 months stretch will take me to September 22nd of next year and since we're only 2 months apart, I would love it if we go for it this time around if you'd like.

For me it would mean that a 2 year stretch would end on January 22nd, 2011. I am willing to go for it now if you'd like and if you would like for me to hang in there with you the extra 2 months until you reach 2 years, then I would for support.

I'm already in that stretching mode and I would really like to continue it for as long as I can - and 2 years seem possible for me.

Let's try it, let's do it:grin::yep:! I could use a stretching buddy. That means that I would have to update my fotki album to include this new hair goal.

The only rule is that we provide an absolute minimum time frame for ending it, say 18-20 months or so and that is only if we really foresee not making the 24 months. What do you think?

Sounds Good. LETS DO IT!!!! My stretch would end April 8 2011.

We should definitely do a minimum time frame. I think we should discuss it at 18 months post since you already planned on relaxing at 20 weeks post so that like you said if we really foresee not making the 24 months.. Shoot..after these 2 years we'll be like 50% natural. Haha.

Sounds Good. LETS DO IT!!!! My stretch would end April 8 2011.

We should definitely do a minimum time frame. I think we should discuss it at 18 months post since you already planned on relaxing at 20 weeks post so that like you said if we really foresee not making the 24 months.. Shoot..after these 2 years we'll be like 50% natural. Haha.

You know you could be right about the 50% natural:yep:.

So I plan to perm on December 19. I honestly do not know how long I have been stretching. I can say the last successful relaxer I had was December 2008.

I tried my first self relax in April and it failed. So I tried it again in July and again severly under processed. I have decided to go to the salon for my next one. But since it will be a corrective also I figured the longer I could go without a perm the less likely I will have breakage. So in December it will be 6 months since any relaxer has touched my head and 1 year since I have had a relaxer that processed correctly.

I have been wearing LF and keeping my hair braided. I wash & DC weekly. I also spary in leave in 2-3 days a week. When I take down I pre poo, detangle, clarify, shampoo, mild protein, and DC. Than I get it braided again. So far so good.

I have realized low manipulation and DC is the key for me.

Back