Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Hey Stretching twin!! Can you believe how well it's going?!!!

Do you plan to bun the whole time?

I think I may get box braids the first week of October and leave them in for 6-8 weeks. I dont have to get them but I tend to play with my hair when im bored (even tho im bunning it like u) and i think i need to put my hair away for a while.

I'm bunning the whole time. My hair itself isn't long enough to bun; so I bought five of those phony buns and am using those. I recently read on a thread that the net inside those things can damage your hair so you should use a baggy or scarf to protect the hair. Since I have to use a baggy anyway, I thought "why not try my luck at baggying. So, for the past two days I have been moisturizing my ends with Elasta QP Oil recovery moisturizer, putting the baggy on, then putting on the phony bun. I can tell the difference in my ends already.

i'm 11.5 weeks post... And honestly my stretch is going really well so i dont know how long i am stretching for. Depending on how well this keeps up, I might stretch until May '2010... That is 11 months.. But i'll probably relax around 6 or 7 months,, that's what i originally planned.

Well done on getting to 9.5 weeks :yep: What's your goal?

Thank you :grin:

I'm transitioning to natural hair so I need to have a lot of hair to play with once I cut off all my relaxed ends. My goal is 78 weeks, so - 41 weeks to go! That seems like forever!!!!! But you're right, time does fly when you're surrounded with people with similar goals, people who are successfully doing the same as you are. I was 7 weeks post when I decided to transition and 30 weeks have gone by since then!

When I'm at 39 weeks, I'll be back to celebrate being exactly halfway into my transition.

Your absolutely right. there are enough weeks in a calendar for 13 perfect months AND an extra day.

Adding a whole day every 4 years and spreading the other extra days from the "13th month" around...all lend to balance out the imperfections of the western calendar. Because the purpose of the western (solar) calendar is to ensure that the seasons show up around the same time of year, not lunar accuracy.

And as you know there are many other calendars currently being used these days as well....(islamic calendars, jewish calendars...etc)

even more reason why i stick to weeks....:spinning:

speaking of which.....ive probably told u this before but 37 weeks is hella impressive!!!:grin:

i just realized i was at 9.5 weeks today and cant believe how fast the time has flown. I think its a mental thing.

if you are determined and are surrounded by folks who are thriving....stretching isnt so impossible after all. i honestly dont know if i'll ever texturize again...and if i do...it'll be no time soon

Last edited:
SmartyPants - Baggying under a phony pony is :lick: for your ends. i think its the reason why i have pretty decent ends inspite of not trimming since Feb 28th. My ends are baggy'd a good 80% of the time.

I'm bunning the whole time. My hair itself isn't long enough to bun; so I bought five of those phony buns and am using those. I recently read on a thread that the net inside those things can damage your hair so you should use a baggy or scarf to protect the hair. Since I have to use a baggy anyway, I thought "why not try my luck at baggying. So, for the past two days I have been moisturizing my ends with Elasta QP Oil recovery moisturizer, putting the baggy on, then putting on the phony bun. I can tell the difference in my ends already.

MummysGirl - My goal is minimum 24 weeks. Depending on how that goes I may keep going to my birthday in the Spring...I'm keeping an open mind and letting my hair show me whats best.

gotta say the idea of going 30+ weeks and leaving my hair alone all through the winter appeals to me deeeply. so when i make it to december..if I'm tired of bunning I may get braids for a bit to switch it up.

Funny thing is...due to my constant babying of my ng....even at almost 10 weeks I'm a bit concerned that my hair isnt kinky enough to take braids. all this softness has me tending to my tresses like a piece of fine lace. :look:

Well done on getting to 9.5 weeks :yep: What's your goal?

Thank you :grin:

I'm transitioning to natural hair so I need to have a lot of hair to play with once I cut off all my relaxed ends. My goal is 78 weeks, so - 41 weeks to go! That seems like forever!!!!! But you're right, time does fly when you're surrounded with people with similar goals, people who are successfully doing the same as you are. I was 7 weeks post when I decided to transition and 30 weeks have gone by since then!

When I'm at 39 weeks, I'll be back to celebrate being exactly halfway into my transition.

I relaxed at 13 wks only because my salon sent me a 50% off voucher! I enjoyed stretching and want to go further next time.

I am so happy I am in tears!!!! Today I have officially made my 1 year stretch! I took out my braids, henna my hair and in about 3 weeks I will be relaxing!!!!! Right now I just wanna dc my hair and prep it for the relaxer. Oh and one week before my relaxer I will do an aphogee treatment. I cant wait to see my progress finally!

Hey ladies,

I'm 20 weeks post, and am excited about it. I used to regularly do 12 weeks and did 17 weeks once.

My goal is 6 months, so I've been debating about whether that means I should relax at 24 or 26 weeks. Idk, we'll see.

Keep up the good work ladies!

I am so happy I am in tears!!!! Today I have officially made my 1 year stretch! I took out my braids, henna my hair and in about 3 weeks I will be relaxing!!!!! Right now I just wanna dc my hair and prep it for the relaxer. Oh and one week before my relaxer I will do an aphogee treatment. I cant wait to see my progress finally!
:dance7: Congratulations!

Hey ladies,

I'm 20 weeks post, and am excited about it. I used to regularly do 12 weeks and did 17 weeks once.

My goal is 6 months, so I've been debating about whether that means I should relax at 24 or 26 weeks. Idk, we'll see.

I just go by dates. The weeks gets my head :drunk:.

:woot:

:dance7:

:notworthy

:band:

:bouncy:

:thewave:

:superbanana:

Hey ladies,

I think it's 26 weeks... but do what's best for you.

I am happy for you too SStunner and can't wait to see your progress as well. Make sure to come back and let us see it okay?

OMG SouthernStunner!!!! Has it been a year already?!!! :urock:

Been following your journey (mostly on lurker mode) for months. You and Sylver2 were the first ppl I'd ever even heard of doing year long stretches.

Just remember.......

:needpics:

Is it too late to join? I've been stretching since January and I MAY transition. I'm not sure yet.

Welcome Shalilac, the more the merrier. We are here to help each other stretch so you are welcomed to join us. It is never too late, besides, you've been stretching since January - congrats on geting so far in your stretch.

Ok, i've finally caught up to this thread and i want to join!:look: I'm currently 9 weeks post, aiming for 24 weeks, if i manage to get there with no problems i might just keep going and see how far i can take it, we'll see though.

So far its been smooth sailing, except for today (not having a very good hair day but the sun will come out tomorrow!) i've stretched to 12 weeks before and both times it was harder than this but i think i'm figuring out what works for my hair so this trip has been easy although its still early in the game so i cant say for sure yet.

the other sylver2 thread suddenly went poof! hopefully this one doesn't either because my name is on it:look: doing good ladies:yep:

the other sylver2 thread suddenly went poof! hopefully this one doesn't either because my name is on it:look: doing good ladies:yep:

hmmmm.gif

I'm about to cut down on the manipulation soon. It's going to be hard because I love experimenting, trying new products, and just having my hand in my hair.

Checking in at 24 weeks post. The weeks feel like they are going so slowly...24 weeks doesn't feel far enough into my stretch. I don't think I will feel encouraged until I hit week number 30.

Seeing this pop up throughout my head in spots (spots where no relaxer has touched)...makes me hurt a lil bit thinking about slapping the devil relaxer on..will stretch as long as I can to hold onto the curlies for a lil bit longer cause I think they're cute :look:...

curlytexture.jpg

ive heard that getting from SL to APL often feels like the longest....

and for me...I honestly do not want to get any kind of touch ups etc till I'm at APL.

Anyone else making the journey from SL to APL on their stretch.

I need inspiration :gorgeous:

Put me on this list for this. I should have been stopped in here. Last stretch was 17weeks, just getting started over 3 days post. ^^Hey Bluetopia I'm going from SL to APL almost there. Hopefully by next relaxer I will be there, I just cut 1/2 inch of ends.

I did a bad thing, i went and watched some self relaxing videos on youtube and i got creamy crack itch, the withdrawal symptoms are kicking in, lol. But all is well, i'm not gonna relax yet, i'm actually enjoying my NG right now, the curls are so cute!LOL So yeah, aint no relaxer gonna hold me down right now. 6 month stretch or bust trying!

Bluetopia i have 3 inches to go to be full APL and i'm hoping to make it by the 1st of January which is when i play to relax next. So yeah, like you i'm working to get to APL during my stretch and i dont plan to relax before.

Glad to know it's not just me! Aiming to be APL by Christmas...thats 4 months...gonna do a search and see if there is a bootcamp of sorts that I can do to make it in time.

HHG ladies!

Put me on this list for this. I should have been stopped in here. Last stretch was 17weeks, just getting started over 3 days post. ^^Hey Bluetopia I'm going from SL to APL almost there. Hopefully by next relaxer I will be there, I just cut 1/2 inch of ends.

I did a bad thing, i went and watched some self relaxing videos on youtube and i got creamy crack itch, the withdrawal symptoms are kicking in, lol. But all is well, i'm not gonna relax yet, i'm actually enjoying my NG right now, the curls are so cute!LOL So yeah, aint no relaxer gonna hold me down right now. 6 month stretch or bust trying!

Bluetopia i have 3 inches to go to be full APL and i'm hoping to make it by the 1st of January which is when i play to relax next. So yeah, like you i'm working to get to APL during my stretch and i dont plan to relax before.

Back