Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I'm 12 weeks post as of friday and I'm shedding like a dog in the shower! anyone recommend a garlic shampoo or condish? does that help?
I really just hate cleaning up the shower after I shed so much lol...

Try Alter Ego Garlic Treatment form www.bluebeez.com. I have a simple garlic treatment recipe in my fotki recipe album if you need something to use right away and it's cost effective too.

Checking in also: I am officially 7 months post as of yesterday:yay:. 5 more to go:spinning:.

:clapping:i am dumbstruck, amazed, inspired and impressed!

folks like you make me want to aim for a 12 months stretch too.

im aiming for 6 months and then plan to assess if i want to go for a longer stint or just transition altogether.

i was having a problem with my NG always being dry and there is such a simple, simple solution: stop using shampoo.

:clapping:i am dumbstruck, amazed, inspired and impressed!

folks like you make me want to aim for a 12 months stretch too.

im aiming for 6 months and then plan to assess if i want to go for a longer stint or just transition altogether.

Thanks Bluetopia. That's what I did. I was only going to stretch 6 months, then it changed to 8 months, then 12 months. Now when I get to 12 months, I'll re-assess and see if I want to go even longer - like 15 or 18 months:yep:. We shall see:look:.

Last edited:
Sign me up!

I'm already 9 months post ( at least )... Aiming for December 09 or Jan 2010.

If I post a pic it will be in its curly state, stopped roller setting about 3 months in, so no heat for me.

My ends are texlaxed ( undeprocessed ) so I've finally learned how to get away with W&Gs without breakage ( lost 2 inches in learning process ).

For tools/products I use check out my public profile under visitor messages.

Regimen:

1.Condition hair, detangle with ebonite ( hard rubber ) seamless comb in shower, make loose bun and hold with one 2-2.5 inch ball tipped hair pin.

2. Then shower etc, remove pin, rinse gently, blot dry with towel hair is still very damp but not dripping wet.

3. Spritz with either Juices and Berries or homemade concoction seal with a bit of oil(s).

4. Air dry hair on its own or with a fan.

5. At night make loose pony tail on top of head with satin scrunchie after applying afro detangler root to tip/ LIGHTLY spritz hair ends seal with a tip of oil, baggy ends, tie hair with Stay On Satin Scarf.

6. In the morning take hair down spritz and fluff.

Do #5-6 for 2-4 days depending on if I sweat or not ( hair has to smell yummy ) / until next conditioner wash.

P.S Sometimes I use AO B5 Design Gel on natural hair for extra definition.

20 weeks Post! 6 more weeks to go. Pre-poo with oil and Co-washing is my friend! Go away shampoo! Booo!

u go girl! u are doing it!! how's the NG?? any matting or dryness? how have u been wearing it?

Thank you Sylver. Your compliments and encouragement means a lot to me:blush:. Actually the new growth is not doing too bad anymore. Porosity Control Conditioner is helping me a great deal to make detangling easier. I realized that I can't seem to detangle my hair while dried anymore without losing some hair, except if I detangle it before washing and DCing. On wet hair saturated in conditioner and oil though, detangling seem like a breeze.

I don't get any matting or dryness because recently I've been keeping it in 6-8 large braids under a wig daily and I would wash/cowash it this way too once a week to 10 days. I use a liquid spray moisturizer to keep it moisturized every other day. I will be getting some extension braids in a week or two which I'll wear for about 6 weeks.

I am so happy I found something that works for me in this stretch. I don't leave it out now because I am in the "Hide your hair" challenge for 6 months as well. So the wigs and braids are working very well at the moment. My new growth is actually pretty manageable with htis regimen for now.

Thanks again for all your support honey:yep:.

20 weeks Post! 6 more weeks to go. Pre-poo with oil and Co-washing is my friend! Go away shampoo! Booo!

This is too funny PGirl. I am trying to reduce pooing my hair as well. I only use shampoo every other wash now or twice a month compared to twice a week when I first started my hair journey. Working on once a month pooing...

i was having a problem with my NG always being dry and there is such a simple, simple solution: stop using shampoo.

I am beginning to feel the same way about shampooing my hair LovinLea. I have noticed that my new growth is not as dry as when I use shampoo on my hair no matter how moisturizing it's supposed to be. I may start adding some light natural oils to all of them and see if that makes a difference at all.

BY the way LL, your new growth is so pretty.

I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of all this poo I have because I barely use it.

Try using them as hand soap or even as a body wash. I use them this way myself because I too am trying to use them up in different ways. I do not use them in my delicate feminine area (I already have a soap designed for that area), just everywhere else:grin:. It works.

Try using them as hand soap or even as a body wash. I use them this way myself because I too am trying to use them up in different ways. I do not use them in my delicate feminine area (I already have a soap designed for that area), just everywhere else:grin:. It works.

LC over in the Use 1 Buy 1 thread suggested I do the same with condishes I don't want anymore. I've gotten rid of a few that way. The ones I have don't have SLS so that's great for my skin.

I decided to flat iron my hair for a length check today, after I was done blow drying I come out of the bathroom to get a comb from my mom's room. My hair gets pretty poufy and big when I blow dry. So my mom, who doesn't quite get the concept of stretching, looks at me and goes wow, I guess your hair is fully natural now (I'm only 3 months post)!:lachen: Then she hits me with the old, you should let me trim your ends, it'll grow faster that way. I say no thanks, so she takes about 3" from my ends and says, this is all I'd cut.:rolleyes: I said no thanks, I'll just leave it alone for a bit. On the plus side, I'm grazing APL now, not quite full APL but getting there :grin:
1st pic is from 3 months ago, second pic is today

Last edited:

I don't know if it's because I had a long day at work and I'm tired...

but I just bust out laughing ...

'the delicate feminine area' just made the giggles come from nowhere... :lol:

Do ya thang stretching gangsta! :yep:

Shay said:
I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of all this poo I have because I barely use it.

@ Shay...I only have one poo that I really use - which is the Hairveda Amala, when I want a clarifying feeling, but doesn't dry my hair out. I have two more bottles in storage. That poo seems like it lasts fo eva...cause u don't need a lot.

The green label CON is for the special occasion trips to the Domican salon, because if they had a poo that didn't produce suds, it would befuddle them..and it's gentle so I can use that.

I'm pretty much a WEN chick for cleansing. Good luck with your poo depletion.

Wait...

Checking in at 11 weeks post... the longest I've EVER stretched! :yay:

Detangling is a beast though... may have to cut back on my beloved cowashing :cry3:

I don't know if it's because I had a long day at work and I'm tired...

but I just bust out laughing ...

'the delicate feminine area' just made the giggles come from nowhere... :lol:

Do ya thang stretching gangsta! :yep:
quote]

Glad you got a good laugh from it sis:grin:. It is kinda funny...:yep:

@ Shay...I only have one poo that I really use - which is the Hairveda Amala, when I want a clarifying feeling, but doesn't dry my hair out. I have two more bottles in storage. That poo seems like it lasts fo eva...cause u don't need a lot.

The green label CON is for the special occasion trips to the Domican salon, because if they had a poo that didn't produce suds, it would befuddle them..and it's gentle so I can use that.

I'm pretty much a WEN chick for cleansing. Good luck with your poo depletion.

Wait...

It is funny you say that because I was planning to start only using Hairveda's Shikakai bar. I haven't even used one just assuming it will be good. We know I'm a Hairveda stan....Good idea alternating bw the bar and poo I should be good to go.

It is funny you say that because I was planning to start only using Hairveda's Shikakai bar. I haven't even used one just assuming it will be good. We know I'm a Hairveda stan....Good idea alternating bw the bar and poo I should be good to go.

Sounds like a good plan...:yep:

Checking in at officially 19 weeks!!! I can't believe i've made it this far :) I love the results after co-washing with VO5 Moisture Milks. I detangle while i'm applying in sections and then rinse and slick back and wrap my hair. My hair looks like I relaxed in the morning it's awesome!

Checking in at officially 19 weeks!!! I can't believe i've made it this far :) I love the results after co-washing with VO5 Moisture Milks. I detangle while i'm applying in sections and then rinse and slick back and wrap my hair. My hair looks like I relaxed in the morning it's awesome!
Yay! Keep it up :-)

Wooohooooooooooooo :dance7: Congratulations!!! I'll be 19 weeks on Saturday. Isn't it great?

I'm so glad I didn't give up a few weeks ago when I was having the hardest time managing my new growth. As I've kept practicing, and trying new things, it's become a breeze (the kitchen is not quite a breeze, but hey)!! My ponytails and new growth are flat. Looks like I'm almost freshly relaxed too!!

Are you going to 24 weeks?

21 weeks post! I am sad. I miss my hair (theyre still in twists). Idk why I have the urge to relax being that I dont even have to DEAL with my new growth. I guess I just want to see the progress but I know that in april 2010 itll be worth it to just wait & see all of the growth (& thickness)! I always have these dreams though that in april, i get my relaxer and there is no change. :(

Today is the first time in a couple of months that I've blown my hair straight and flat-ironed it a little. My bonelaxed ends were a little see-thru, and I couldn't resist hacking off almost an inch. It kinda made me sad because it "seems" as if I'm not making any progress in length (which can't be the case because I have an insane amount of NG and haven't been experiencing any breakage). But I have to admit that it looks "thicker" with the trim. I'm guessing that I won't make BSL by December like I hoped. :ohwell:

May I please be added to this challenge?

I am 20 weeks post. I'm considering a long-term transition...we'll see though...after the hellacious hair care weekend I just had, I don't know how much longer I can do this.

Checking in at 11 wks... and going strong. My hair is currently braided without extension.... I'll keep it for about 10 days and take them out and wear a braid out for first day of class. Then wash and repeat the process until December

Back