Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

OK... ya'll the family naysayers are butting in!!!!

I'll be seven weeks post tomorrow. I have anywhere from 3/4 inch to 1 and 1/2 inches of new growth depending on where you measure my growth (I started using MN again)--which is actually almost as much growth as I had when I relaxed at 14 weeks last time.

My mom chimed in this morning that I need a relaxer. This time things are going much better since I threw the Aphogee in the trash and discovered French Perm Stabilizer Plus. I am not having any problems and I have been wearing phony buns so I do look professional when I am working. But I know she is going to spend the next month bugging me.

I had planned to relax the week before Christmas which will put me at 22 weeks post. But if I am still not getting any breakage by then, I may try to take it to April 30th which will put me at 41 weeks post. I sort of put her off by saying I may be transitioning back to natural (I'm not) but I may get it flat-ironed for Thanksgiving and Christmas. That shut her up for today, but I know she is going to bring it up again.

Give me strength!!!!!

Last edited:

I'll be seven weeks post tomorrow. I have anywhere from 3/4 inch to 1 and 1/2 inches of new growth depending on where you measure my growth (I started using MN again)--which is actually almost as much growth as I had when I relaxed at 14 weeks last time.

My mom chimed in this morning that I need a relaxer. This time things are going much better since I threw the Aphogee in the trash and discovered French Perm Stabilizer Plus. I am not having any problems and I have been wearing phony buns so I do look professional when I am working. But I know she is going to spend the next month bugging me.

I had planned to relax the week before Christmas which will put me at 22 weeks post. But if I am still not getting any breakage by then, I may try to take it to April 30th which will put me at 41 weeks post. I sort of put her off by saying I may be transitioning back to natural (I'm not) but I may get if flat-ironed for Thanksgiving and Christmas. That shut her up for today, but I know she is going to bring it up again.

Give me strength!!!!!
Hang in there!!
have u tried risk smother ? it really gets the new growth to lay FLAT. you can also try the scarf method!

I had planned to relax the week before Christmas which will put me at 22 weeks post. But if I am still not getting any breakage by then, I may try to take it to April 30th which will put me at 41 weeks post. I sort of put her off by saying I may be transitioning back to natural (I'm not) but I may get if flat-ironed for Thanksgiving and Christmas. That shut her up for today, but I know she is going to bring it up again.

Give me strength!!!!!

u r doing well:yep: don't even pay attention to what your mom says. i had to do the same on my 1 year stretch. i couldn't believe it when even my most militant, back to Africa, public enemy uncle was like when u gonna do something with your hair:lachen::perplexed:
I was like whatever..its because they are not use to seeing us like that. alwyas with the silky straight..so anything else on us is not doing our hair or needing a relaxer:rolleyes:

OK - 8 weeks today. 4 more to go to reach my normal 12 weeks. DCing with Brahmi, Cassia and AOHSR overnight. That should hook me up (I hope).

Checking in at 17 weeks post, so far so good, I've had no real setbacks to speak of. Hair got overmoisturised last week and I nipped it in the but with Kpak, LOVE that stuff :love:. Don't think I'll have any problems making it to December (7 months, 32 weeks).

Checking in at 17 weeks post, so far so good, I've had no real setbacks to speak of. Hair got overmoisturised last week and I nipped it in the but with Kpak, LOVE that stuff :love:. Don't think I'll have any problems making it to December (7 months, 32 weeks).

32 weeks is 8 months not 7.....dont sell urself short a whole month :grin:

At 32 weeks, I was 7.5 months post.
I thought the exact same thing you just stated but there are 52 weeks in a year, divide that by 4 (i.e. 4 weeks in a month), that's 13... but there are 12 months in a year. So the easy thing to do is count months on the same day of each month.

E.g. In my case, December 20th (date of last relaxer) - September 20th is 9 months, which will be 39 weeks. October 20th (10 months/43 weeks), Nov 20th (11 months/48 weeks), Dec 20th (12 months/52 weeks).

^^
Sorry for my detailed but crazy explanation.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Last edited:
Lol, I go by the date on the calendar, so 32 weeks will put me at 7 months and 10 days, not even 7 1/2 months. But thanks though, it's my 1st stretch ever so I started patting myself on the back from month #2 :lachen:

Last edited:
Lol, I go by the date on the calendar, so 32 weeks is only 7 months and 10 days, not even 7 1/2 months. But thanks though, it's my 1st stretch ever so I started patting myself on the back from month #2 :lachen:

Our stretch is the same length of time zazou - I am 32 weeks and 1 day post myself:yep:. How long are you ultimately going for?

I am attempting a year for starters but if my new growth allows me to go even longer, then I would.

My ultimate aim is to stretch for 18-20 months but sometimes I wonder if that's just wishful thinking on my part, IDK. We shall see :look:.

Our stretch is the same length of time zazou - I am 32 weeks and 1 day post myself:yep:. How long are you ultimately going for?

I am attempting a year for starters but if my new growth allows me to go even longer, then I would.

My ultimate aim is to stretch for 18-20 months but sometimes I wonder if that's just wishful thinking on my part, IDK. We shall see :look:.

I'm actually only 17 weeks post Aggie, when I finally relax I will be 32 weeks. I realised my last post might be a bit misleading if you hadn't read my previous one and Bluetopia's response so I edited it.

I thought the exact same thing you just stated but there are 52 weeks in a year, divide that by 4 (i.e. 4 weeks in a month), that's 13... but there are 12 months in a year. So the easy thing to do is count months on the same day of each month.

E.g. In my case, December 20th (date of last relaxer) - September 20th is 9 months, which will be 39 weeks. October 20th (10 months/43 weeks), Nov 20th (11 months/48 weeks), Dec 20th (12 months/52 weeks).

^^
Sorry for my detailed but crazy explanation.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

This is how I calculate my stretch as well. If I calculate it by the week, I will end up with 52 weeks divided by 4 = 13 months instead of 12 so I calculate from the date of each month from my last relaxer. Therefore, 32 weeks for me does equal 7.5 months.

:nono: I fell off the bandwagon and was run over by it. I gave in and relaxed at 12 weeks post. Been going through a lot of emotional and life challenges lately and don't have the focus to deal with 2 inches of NG right now. On a more positive note, this is the longest stretch I've ever done (the most prior to this one was 10 weeks once). I was a faithful 4-5 week chick. Next time hopefully I can make it longer. I plan to shoot for at least 14 this time if not more.

On a more positive note, this is the longest stretch I've ever done (the most prior to this one was 10 weeks once). I was a faithful 4-5 week chick. Next time hopefully I can make it longer. I plan to shoot for at least 14 this time if not more.

You didn't fall off anything. Stretching 12 weeks as opposed to 5 weeks is a HUGE deal. This time you relaxed at 12, next time 14, then 16. We are all taking our baby steps in this journey together.

I'm actually only 17 weeks post Aggie, when I finally relax I will be 32 weeks. I realised my last post might be a bit misleading if you hadn't read my previous one and Bluetopia's response so I edited it.

My apologies zazou. None the less, you are doing pretty good so far at 17 weeks. Keep it up:yep:.

When it comes to hair goals...to each their own.

The thing is tho....I've always been obsessed with numbers (it was my major for a few semesters till i moved on to Writing) and because the Modern western calendar months span varying timeframes (i.e., some are 28 days, while others are 30 and 31)

for the sake of consistancy...when keeping a log of time the preferred metrics for a month is 4 weeks. meaning 32 weeks = 8 months

and to clarify your point below...Fun Fact: if you counted up all the 29ths, 30ths, 31sts of each month that would make a calendar year 13 perfect 28days months. :look:

Lol, I go by the date on the calendar, so 32 weeks will put me at 7 months and 10 days, not even 7 1/2 months. But thanks though, it's my 1st stretch ever so I started patting myself on the back from month #2 :lachen:

The fact that a year is really 13 months but we spread out the 4 extra weeks in order to keep it at 12....was the subject of one of my term papers (fascinating stuff)

So yeah...(for me) using calendar dates is flawed...

Zazou, if you stretched from December 1st to January 1st that is not the same as if I stretched February 1st - March 1st

Dec-Jan is 31 days while the Feb- Mar is 28 (and sometimes 29)

Even tho on the calendar it looked like we were stretching for the same amount of time.....in real life you stretched a half a week longer than i did.

For a short stretches this is just splitting hairs.....but if we were both doing Longterm stretches (which is the topic of this board)...all those lost half weeks would add up....and because you were using the calendar while i was counting weeks....you could actually end up stretching a full 1-2 weeks longer than I did even tho we'd both be "claiming" the same stretch. :perplexed

For the sake of consistancy...32 weeks is considered 8 months irregardless of the variables brought into the mix based on what months those weeks encompass. (hope that makes sense)

I texlaxed Wed July 1st so every Wednesday I count as a week and every 4 weeks I count as a month no matter what the fluid "date" is.

Using a calendar my 6 months stretch would appear to be Jan 1st but in reality 24 weeks is really Decemeber 16th a full 2 weeks earlierthan the calendar would have you think. :blush:

But like I said..numbers are my thing :rolleyes: and I'm super OCD about this stuff.....to each their own :yep: if you see it as 7 months thats fine

Last edited:

The thing is tho....I've always been obsessed with numbers (it was my major for a few semesters till i moved on to Writing) and because the Modern western calendar months span varying timeframes (i.e., some are 28 days, while others are 30 and 31)

for the sake of consistancy...when keeping a log of time the preferred metrics for a month is 4 weeks. meaning 32 weeks = 8 months

and to clarify your point below...Fun Fact: if you counted up all the 29ths, 30ths, 31sts of each month that would make a calendar year 13 perfect 28days months. :look:

The fact that a year is really 13 months but we spread out the 4 extra weeks in order to keep it at 12....was the subject of one of my term papers (fascinating stuff)

Zazou, if you stretched from December 1st to January 1st that is not the same as if I stretched February 1st - March 1st

Even tho on the calendar it looked like we were stretching for the same amount of time.....in real life you stretched a half a week longer than i did.

For a short stretches this is just splitting hairs.....but if we were both doing Longterm stretches (which is the topic of this board)...all those lost half weeks would add up....and because you were using the calendar while i was counting weeks....you could actually end up stretching a full 1-2 weeks longer than I did even tho we'd both be "claiming" the same stretch. :perplexed

For the sake of consistancy...32 weeks is considered 8 months irregardless of the variables brought into the mix based on what months those weeks encompass. (hope that makes sense)

I texlaxed Wed July 1st so every Wednesday I count as a week and every 4 weeks I count as a month no matter what the fluid "date" is.

Using a calendar my 6 months stretch would appear to be Jan 1st but in reality 24 weeks is really Decemeber 16th a full 2 weeks earlierthan the calendar would have you think. :blush:

But like I said..numbers are my thing :rolleyes: and I'm super OCD about this stuff.....to each their own :yep: if you see it as 7 months thats fine

OK... Who invited the Egghead to the thread?

I'm just kidding :giggle:! I used to teach statistics at the uni-level so I found your discussion fascinating. My tracker uses the 1 month according to the DATE system. However, when I post I always count my weeks according to the DAY I last relaxed.

OK... Who invited the Egghead to the thread?

I'm just kidding :giggle:! I used to teach statistics at the uni-level so I found your discussion fascinating. My tracker uses the 1 month according to the DATE system. However, when I post I always count my weeks according to the DAY I last relaxed.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i know right? if my brain had an off button things could be so much simpler. when it comes to calculators, calendars, etc i have some serious Rainman tendencies.

i sure the poor girl who originally posted is like "what in the :rolleyes: is Bluetopia on?"

What can I say....nerds like pretty hair too. lol :bookworm:

Stretching aint a game. i just want folks to get the most bang for their buck. :yep:

:lachen: Lol, it's ok, I totally totally understand. We all have our obsessions :yep:

But.... 28 days*13 months = 364 days, not 365 or 366(leap year) :look:

Anyway, I usually say I am x weeks post and use my ticker as a guideline for the time in months, weeks and days.

Good luck with your stretch :-)

P.S. I am exactly 37 weeks post today, yay!

Ya'll are killing me with all this math. My ticker goes by date. I last relaxed on July 1st. Things are going really well so far. The past 2 days have been great hair days. Granted I've only been bunning but I love buns so I am good.

Your absolutely right. there are enough weeks in a calendar for 13 perfect months AND an extra day.

Adding a whole day every 4 years and spreading the other extra days from the "13th month" around...all lend to balance out the imperfections of the western calendar. Because the purpose of the western (solar) calendar is to ensure that the seasons show up around the same time of year, not lunar accuracy.

And as you know there are many other calendars currently being used these days as well....(islamic calendars, jewish calendars...etc)

even more reason why i stick to weeks....:spinning:

speaking of which.....ive probably told u this before but 37 weeks is hella impressive!!!:grin:

i just realized i was at 9.5 weeks today and cant believe how fast the time has flown. I think its a mental thing.

if you are determined and are surrounded by folks who are thriving....stretching isnt so impossible after all. i honestly dont know if i'll ever texturize again...and if i do...it'll be no time soon

:lachen: Lol, it's ok, I totally totally understand. We all have our obsessions :yep:

But.... 28 days*13 months = 364 days, not 365 or 366(leap year) :look:

Anyway, I usually say I am x weeks post and use my ticker as a guideline for the time in months, weeks and days.

Good luck with your stretch :-)

P.S. I am exactly 37 weeks post today, yay!

Ya'll are killing me with all this math. My ticker goes by date. I last relaxed on July 1st. Things are going really well so far. The past 2 days have been great hair days. Granted I've only been bunning but I love buns so I am good.

Hey Stretching twin!! Can you believe how well it's going?!!!

Do you plan to bun the whole time?

I think I may get box braids the first week of October and leave them in for 6-8 weeks. I dont have to get them but I tend to play with my hair when im bored (even tho im bunning it like u) and i think i need to put my hair away for a while.

Hey Stretching twin!! Can you believe how well it's going?!!!

Do you plan to bun the whole time?

I think I may get box braids the first week of October and leave them in for 6-8 weeks. I dont have to get them but I tend to play with my hair when im bored (even tho im bunning it like u) and i think i need to put my hair away for a while.

I'm really lazy so yes I will mostly bun. I do love twist outs and I have some flexirods & carusos I want to try out.

Congrats to you too Mona. You are holding up pretty good yourself. I am so pproud of you girlie:yep:.

Awwwww thanks chica! Muaaaaaaaaaaah...

Big shout out and hugs to supporters...

Lady Sylver, Shay....and super stretcher Aggie....

:bighug:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
i sure the poor girl who originally posted is like "what in the :rolleyes: is Bluetopia on?"
What can I say....nerds like pretty hair too. lol :bookworm:
Stretching aint a game. i just want folks to get the most bang for their buck. :yep:

Last edited:
Back