Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

So I relaxed after 30 weeks, on 8/2. I self-relaxed with the help of SO and it came out really well. Sorry no pics bc Im in the process of unpacking after my move.

I rejoining the challange at 2 weeks post. I will relax between 20 and 24 weeks post or I may transition. I have no idea.

So I relaxed after 30 weeks, on 8/2. I self-relaxed with the help of SO and it came out really well. Sorry no pics bc Im in the process of unpacking after my move.

I rejoining the challange at 2 weeks post. I will relax between 20 and 24 weeks post or I may transition. I have no idea.

Congrats on your successful 30 week stretch Shana and welcome back.

I feel you... this is why I don't talk to anyone but the people on this board about my hair goals. I have a family of naysayers too!

One thing... relax when you start having problems. Do not continue a stretch just to prove a point to your sister.

Well we all know that there is no such thing as "bad" hair so don't let the haters stop you. Because once she sees the results she'll eat her words and ask you how you did it so she can try it.

Awww, I'm so sorry that your own family does not share in your vision for your hair but don't worry, we're here for you and we will support and encourage you in your efforts to stretch as long as you can without breakage. By the way, your hair in your siggy does not look nappy to me. In fact, it looks beautiful and healthy. Only go as far as you can without excessive breakage, then try again to go longer next time around. You will make it eventually:yep:.

You ladies are so inspiring and supportive! It's a shame that "strangers" can show more support and encouragement than one's own family. You guys rock! :grouphug:

Sign me up :)

Is it too late?? I wanna go as long as I can, between December 2009(6 months) and June 2010 (1 year)
I did a 14 week one in Jan and I learned A LOT. the growth was beautiful !!

I had a BAD set back and a lost all that I retained so..I'm in nurture mode and ready to stretch as long as possible while K.I.S. When it gets cold I will be bunning and hiding my hair whenever I am out of my house. Hopefully By Spring my hair will have regrown and is healthy.

Okay, now I'm discouraged. I was talking on the phone with my sister, and telling her about my 6 month relaxer stretch. She literally laughed out loud and said "Yeah right! With that bad hair you got, ain't no way you gonna make it 6 months!" :nono: Maybe I'm fooling myself...
Sorry your sister said that to you. Your hair looks beautiful to me. If you've found the right products, you can make the stretch 6 months, 1 year, or however long you want. Don't be discouraged by her. Do what's best for you. She'll see your results when it's time.

ETA: Happy hair growing!!

I told my sister about LHCF last week and she went to the site, came back to me and said, "is that just a forum with strangers asking each other how they do their hair?" and laughed about it implying that there was no "professional" advice to be gained. So, from now on, I'm going to just keep my mouth closed about it and let everyone see my results.

Checking in at 17 weeks post -- 24 weeks will be October 3rd. Can't wait to wear my hair down again...Though the bun is not as dreadful as it once was to me.

Just checking in ladies....I did a corrective relaxer last Friday(3 months and a week or two shy of 4 months) and this time around my goal is to stretch for 6 months.

I feel you... this is why I don't talk to anyone but the people on this board about my hair goals. I have a family of naysayers too!

One thing... relax when you start having problems. Do not continue a stretch just to prove a point to your sister.

yeh i hardly ever talk to anyone off the board about hair stuff. they seriously just don't understand.
Checking in at 19 and will have my Phyto hit at 24/25 weeks...

damn...niiiiiice. everything ok..no breakage or knotting?

Checking in at 17 weeks post -- 24 weeks will be October 3rd. Can't wait to wear my hair down again...Though the bun is not as dreadful as it once was to me.
Good job Panamoni, i'm also at 17 weeks and will be 18 and feel you on the whole bun thing. I'll be texlaxing in Oct and can't wait to see the results! :)

I'm at week 21 and just itching to get a touch- up. I miss my hair so much. I am trying to get to a minimum of 30 weeks before considering a retouch

I'm at 20wks will be 21 on Sat and I've decided to transition. I'm looking forward to the cold weather so I can start washing my hair 1x a wk again.

Checking in at 9 wks... I am stretching for 30 wks at least... My new growth feels different and softer than usual since i started using WEN and OCT.. I cant even tell where the New growth stops and my relaxed hair begins.. So far it's a breeze.. I might even go past 30 wks.

I've been eying this thread for a while, didn't wanna post till I was further in. I'm brand new to all this hair stuff so this is my first stretch ever, I used to relax every 3 to 4 weeks:nono: I actually don't mind my new growth an don't try to tame my edges in any way so it's been pretty easy for me.
OK, so I'm 3 months in (about 15 weeks) and don't plan on relaxing till December. If it's still as easy as it is now, I'll keep going to next May for a one year stretch:grin:

I've been eying this thread for a while, didn't wanna post till I was further in. I'm brand new to all this hair stuff so this is my first stretch ever, I used to relax every 3 to 4 weeks:nono: I actually don't mind my new growth an don't try to tame my edges in any way so it's been pretty easy for me.
OK, so I'm 3 months in (about 15 weeks) and don't plan on relaxing till December. If it's still as easy as it is now, I'll keep going to next May for a one year stretch:grin:

Wow that is great for your first time...Considering you've been relaxing 3-4 wks...can we be buddies.. I am planning on relaxing around the same time as you.. Jan '10 or May '10 depending on whether my hair continues to behave so well as it is doing now:grin:

Bluetopia said:
great job MonaLisa but I've always wondered about your siggie.
why wouldnt u recommend others use phyto even tho you use it?
i texlaxed with it on july 1st and want to know if im doing something wrong

Thank you :)

:lol: I had to look at your join date, I'm like oh, she doesn't know about the dog out period of the product. Used to get dogged so bad on here, I could no longer feel comfortable recommending it to anyone. Hence, I use it, I don't recommend that you do ;* [u can check some old Phyto threads] Congrats on your texlax :)

yeh i hardly ever talk to anyone off the board about hair stuff. they seriously just don't understand.

damn...niiiiiice. everything ok..no breakage or knotting?

No major breakage...some slight shedding, some slight knotting, but I work through them. You know I don't have that thick hair like you chica.

Having the hairveda and especially the Qhemet products and KBB hair milk have been a great help.

I keep it so minimal, I haven't really been into the hair. I just do not have the time. My health/work and school have been at the top at the list this year. I wash/condition/moisturize/braid/leave alone. Same routine until I do it again.

Checking in at 20 wks. Debating the 24-26 week touch up time - Maxwell is throwing me off. But I could always wig it for concert if I'm not having any trouble and make the full 26 weeks. Taking it week by week.

Hugs
:)

Shout out to Shay and Aggie -- thank you for the support! :)

..can we be buddies..
Sure, I'd love to have a stretching buddy :grin:.
The only reason why I'd get it done so often is my hair grows pretty fast and is coarse, and whenever I had a glimpse of new growth someone in my family, aunt, mom, cousin... would be like damn you need a perm. And since I'm pretty laid back about my hair, I don't really keep up with it so I'd just take their word for it and go ahead and relax. I have a huge family so it's always someone's bday, graduation... so I'd get a relaxer every month, sometimes even less time in between :ohwell:

Is it too late to join? This will be my first challenge ever and my first stretch. My last relaxer was July 17th and I don't want to relax until January for my birthday!!! I can't wait and I hope I will be able to tame my NG. I have super coarse, thick hair. But I am ready for the challenge.

I believe I will be hitting 2 months post this week. I am seeing new growth a little earlier than I normally do. I would normally see it/feel it about week 7 or 8. This time around it was around week 5. Today I've got hand in hair syndrome. I keep messing with the new growth. I guess I'm just excited about what the future holds.

I dont want to start a new thread so i thought id ask this on a few existing threads....

Can you transition w/o a BC if your hair is mildly texturized?

My hair was texturized on July 1st and I immediately missed my new growth but loved how the texturizer did make my hair more manageable.

Now I've found a hair routine that has my hair moisturized so well that my ng and my texturized hair run seamlessly into each other (i mean seeeeamlessly!)

so my thought is....i dont have to texturize anymore :rolleyes:

i can just keep growing my hair to my goal of WL, and get trims as needed (which is like once maybe twice a year max)

if i want straight hair i can get it blown and/or rollerset....

but on the regular im usually in protective styles and have no problem with that.

in the winter around the holidays i may take it easy and get braids for a while so i dont have to worry about my hair while traveling to see my friends and family.

basically - my texturized/new growth hair works fine for me and i have no interest in ever being bonelaxed.

so can i just stay like this....and not BC and just go about my business?

i guess technically this would be considered the longest transition ever because after 5+ years a good portion of my texlaxed hair would have been slowly trimmed off due to maintenance trims.

has anyone ever done it this way?

i'll start a new thread if i have to but hopefully you ladies can shed some light :look: :feedback:

^^I'm sure there are people that are texturized or texlaxed on here that transitioned to natural. I'm currently texlaxed and am in the process of transitioning. My transition will be 1.5-2 years. I plan to slowly trim a long the way. I will not bc. So I personally say yes you can do it.

^^I'm sure there are people that are texturized or texlaxed on here that transitioned to natural. I'm currently texlaxed and am in the process of transitioning. My transition will be 1.5-2 years. I plan to slowly trim a long the way. I will not bc. So I personally say yes you can do it.

oh good! we can be hair buddies!!!:antlers::bud:

since i dont trim that often im gonna have this hair for a loooong time.

who's to say that after stretching for a year like Sylver2 I wont just be like :scratchch one day and texlax?

i honestly dont know.

this will either be an epically long transition or a really impressive stretch. :grin:

All i know is that thick, soft, healthy WL hair is my goal and I'm not "big chopping" anything till I get there.

oh good! we can be hair buddies!!!:antlers::bud:

since i dont trim that often im gonna have this hair for a loooong time.

who's to say that after stretching for a year like Sylver2 I wont just be like :scratchch one day and texlax?

i honestly dont know.

this will either be an epically long transition or a really impressive stretch. :grin:

All i know is that thick, soft, healthy WL hair is my goal and I'm not "big chopping" anything till I get there.

Sounds like a plan. I haven't trimmed my hair since starting this journey. I will most likely do my first trim in Dec of this year or early 2010. I may wait longer bc I'm bunned up or in twistouts most times. My shrinkage is ridiculous so I can only imagine what that would look like as a natural.

Checking in at 20 wks. Debating the 24-26 week touch up time - Maxwell is throwing me off. But I could always wig it for concert if I'm not having any trouble and make the full 26 weeks. Taking it week by week.

Hugs
:)

Shout out to Shay and Aggie -- thank you for the support! :)

You're welcomed Mona:grin:.

I'm 12 weeks post as of friday and I'm shedding like a dog in the shower! anyone recommend a garlic shampoo or condish? does that help?
I really just hate cleaning up the shower after I shed so much lol...

Back