Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

:congrats:
Beautiful progress!!!! I see the comparison pic in your siggy. Honestly doesn't look like the same head of hair!!!!! Well done! 24 week stretches will be so easy for you :yep:

Please can we stretch together for your next stretch? It'll mean I'll be 57 weeks post at the end of your 24 week stretch :yep: I'm trying to transition for at least 65 weeks (main goal is 79 weeks which is the weekend before my next birthday).

Thank you!!! I was VERY pleased with the results needless to say! And, yes we can stretch together this time. You know I relied on you alot during this last stretch:grin:, I'll need you again this time around as well.

okay I am trying to be noisy and see how long did it take her to grow her hair this long?

Her hair is beautifulllllll!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

This is one challenge where reading everyone's stories really does help to keep me motivated. I made it to 16 weeks as of this past Saturday, and now I'm officially going for 24 weeks. But, that's it, nothing past 24 weeks. :nono:

Actually, things are going well. My hair feels great, and the new growth is staying strong, but soft and detangled. I'm proud of how far I've come.

I did attempt a braidout this weekend, but it was a disaster -- too few cornrows and not catching all the hair. :look: It was pretty funny. Anyway, maybe one day, I'll try again (maybe next year some time). For now, I'm going to stick to bunning, until I get my relaxer, then do rollersets and bunning.

Have a nice day.

Well I feel off. I self relaxed in July. I was very underprocessed and had excessive shedding. So I braided my hair and start wearing clip ins I did a mini corrective (only on my leave out about 3-5% of my hair) that left it better but still underprocessed. Than I started receiving breakage.

I have decided that I am going to do a 24 week stretch which is 6 months. My hair does not seem to really like relaxer so the less I do it the better I think. But my hair is already pretty thick from being underprocessed so I think it will be a challenge. I am going to use emergencee tonight to try to help stop some breakage.

I am going to the July 10 date as my last relaxer date because the mini failed corrective was on less than 95% of my hair.

I plan on

moisturizing and sealing daily
cowashing 3-4 times a week
DC weekly
Apoghee 2 minute monthly

Leave in protein as needed.

I also plan on wearing buns and braidouts

wigs if I want a straight look.

Well wish me luck

Last edited:
Hey ladies...I'm checking out or just restarting I guess.

I am about to relax my hair @ 22 weeks .. just 4 weeks shy of my 26 week goal.

There are a couple reasons why. I think my hair is breaking and I should have done this a long time ago. I texlaxed twice before this stretch so the 3 different textures what very difficult for me. Also I am getting another sew in and I am afraid that my hair underneath will matte. So I am checking out and starting over. I think once I have a head full of straight hair I can maintain it better.

Thanks ladies and for all of your help! Good luck to the remainers!

3 weeks in, going for ANOTHER 6 month stretch, as I loved the results of the last one, which ended with a texlax on July 22, 2009. See ya'll with results in January 2010, but I will update in between now and then.:yep:

WoW! This week marks the 8th month of my stretch! Where did all the time go???? I honestly never meant to go past 6 months! Once I knew I could do at least 6 months, I got my nerve up to attempt a 1 year stretch. At least my hair is getting a nice break from the chemicals.:reddancer:Yah !!!!!

WoW! This week marks the 8th month of my stretch! Where did all the time go???? I honestly never meant to go past 6 months! Once I knew I could do at least 6 months, I got my nerve up to attempt a 1 year stretch. At least my hair is getting a nice break from the chemicals.:reddancer:Yah !!!!!

Ooooh me too Stella B. I was planning to only stretch for 8 months and now I am going for a year long stretch myself. If I get there and I am not happy with my growth, then I'll stretch another 3-6 months:yep:.

hitting the seventh month. my goal is a year, though, so i plan on putting in braids at the end of the month. i don't like the 2 month commitment to box braids, though... any ideas?

Checking in at five months post with four more months to go. These kinky twists are soooooo fuzzy now. I need to go wig shopping, because by September, these bad boys have got to go.

Okay, now I'm discouraged. I was talking on the phone with my sister, and telling her about my 6 month relaxer stretch. She literally laughed out loud and said "Yeah right! With that bad hair you got, ain't no way you gonna make it 6 months!" :nono: Maybe I'm fooling myself...

Okay, now I'm discouraged. I was talking on the phone with my sister, and telling her about my 6 month relaxer stretch. She literally laughed out loud and said "Yeah right! With that bad hair you got, ain't no way you gonna make it 6 months!" :nono: Maybe I'm fooling myself...

Please do not listen to her. You know your hair better than anyone else.

I just hit 49 weeks on yesterday. I am sooooooo ready to take these box braids out and relax! I am so excited to see my growth and pay wit some different styles. Next week I will get my edges redone (3 weeks in braids) but I am a little worried about that cause the girl that does them is pregnant and due any day now. I may see if I can catch her like early in the week.:spinning: Like that will make a difference.

I have been reading the self relaxer threads like it was a good book. I have printed and highlighted many pages. I am excited and scared at the same time.

Please let me make it to Oct 17!

Don't listen to that nonsense.

I am in at 23 weeks...so much newgroth but I am holding strong. i have 3 more to go and I am home free...I am planning on using the Alter Ego Linange relaxer so i am excited.

You know how it is when you're all pumped up and excited about something and someone comes along and just lets the air out of your balloon?... That's kinda how I was left feeling. :fishslap:

I feel you... this is why I don't talk to anyone but the people on this board about my hair goals. I have a family of naysayers too!

One thing... relax when you start having problems. Do not continue a stretch just to prove a point to your sister.

Well we all know that there is no such thing as "bad" hair so don't let the haters stop you. Because once she sees the results she'll eat her words and ask you how you did it so she can try it.

Awww, I'm so sorry that your own family does not share in your vision for your hair but don't worry, we're here for you and we will support and encourage you in your efforts to stretch as long as you can without breakage. By the way, your hair in your siggy does not look nappy to me. In fact, it looks beautiful and healthy. Only go as far as you can without excessive breakage, then try again to go longer next time around. You will make it eventually:yep:.

Checking in at 19 and will have my Phyto hit at 24/25 weeks...

Good job so ML.

I just hit 49 weeks on yesterday. I am sooooooo ready to take these box braids out and relax! I am so excited to see my growth and pay wit some different styles. Next week I will get my edges redone (3 weeks in braids) but I am a little worried about that cause the girl that does them is pregnant and due any day now. I may see if I can catch her like early in the week.:spinning: Like that will make a difference.

I have been reading the self relaxer threads like it was a good book. I have printed and highlighted many pages. I am excited and scared at the same time.

Please let me make it to Oct 17!
You did great hanging in there so long SS. Good luck self-relaxing your hair. You can do it honey. Do you want bone straight or texlaxed results?

I am in at 23 weeks...so much newgroth but I am holding strong. i have 3 more to go and I am home free...I am planning on using the Alter Ego Linange relaxer so i am excited.

You've done so well too MM. Keep it up ladies.

If my hair is going to be healthy, I will stretch my relaxer every 4 months. I'll be using too much heat for styling if I try to go longer. :ohwell:

Checking in at 19 and will have my Phyto hit at 24/25 weeks...

great job MonaLisa but I've always wondered about your siggie.

why wouldnt u recommend others use phyto even tho you use it?

i texlaxed with it on july 1st and want to know if im doing something wrong :perplexed

I had to learn the hard way not to talk to people about what I am doing. The best way to show them is to SHOW them! My hair has completely turned around since I have started my journey and stretching is helping me quite a bit. I am at 19 weeks and going strong.

What is really helping me the most is co-washing and twist outs! I can't believe how much better my hair is doing without shampoo. I'm gonna make it to 26 weeks or bust!

Let your dreams be yours! :grin:

Back