Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Well I blow dried & flat ironed on Thursday. It was interesting to say the least. I was having a time with this nearly 6 months post hair. I'm flat iron challenged so basically I looked like I had a lot of ng with really straight ends. I'm a mess.

I'm 20 weeks post now. I can either wait 4 more weeks or retouch in another week and a half on July 1st. I detangled and co-washed yesterday, air dried and rocked a messy bun. So far so good though:yep:.

13 weeks post and these tangles are driving me crazy. I'll give it two weeks and I think I will need to get some kinky twists to help me cope so I can stretch longer.

I'm 16 weeks post and its actually going well. I'm going to relax sometime this week. I'm moisturizing with Kids Organic Detangling Shea Butter Moisturizing Lotion and wearing braidouts and updos.

UPDATE
I relaxed at 17 weeks post today :)
I've decided that instead of relaxing at my usual 12 weeks, I'm going to do it at 16 weeks from now on.

Just checking in ladies,

So far, my hair and I are best buds. I am staying on top of my moisture/protein/porosity and it is paying off. My goal is to stretch for 6 months and relax in Oct(although now that I think about it this would make it 7 months) for my birthday and getting color. Lately, I have been deep conditioning/dcw three times a week, bagging/sealing daily, and keeping my hair covered at all times(the only time my hair is out is when I shampoo it). Hopefully, I will be all one length when I self-relax in Oct.

I want to join! I'm 8 weeks post and I'm planning to transition for a year. Right now, I'm in braids and will probably continue braiding most of this time. I plan on co-washing 2-3 week and DCing twice a week. Moisturizing with Worlds of Curls moisturizer, protein with Surge 14 or Infusium 23. I will be Henna'ing between braiding sessions.

I don't know y'all! I'm strongly leaning to get my touch up early next month for my birthday! It'll be 5 months- not 6!

It's going to be only month 3 for me lol but I am relaxing I am going away for the month and I cannot take time to cowash every other day. i rather relax than suffer another set back. June 30th I will be the day lol.
Smh I feel like a failure : /

Checking in. I relaxed last weekend after a 6 month stretch. I'm not relaxing again until December. Six months works for me. I was beginning to experience some breakage and wanted to avoid that at all cost. I did a rollerset that came out pretty well but I don't know how to upload the pics to my post so I just changed my avi. LOL

Last edited:
Checking in. I relaxed last weekend after a 6 month stretch. I'm not relaxing again until December. Six months works for me. I was beginning to experience some breakage and wanted to avoid that at all cost. I did a rollset that came out pretty well but I don't know how to upload the pics to my post so I just changed my avi. LOL
Great job! :yep: I hope that I can hold out that long.

Hi ladies, checking in again. I just wanted to update and say that I have finally decided to stretch my texlaxer the full year instead of the original 8 months I was going to stretch to. I don't think it makes sense to texlax again until I take off ALL the bone-straight relaxed hair.

So I guess you could say that I am transitioning to natural.......temporarily, of course:yep:. I do like my natural texture so it shouldn't be a big problem. I just like my hair straighter better than fully natural.

Checking in. I relaxed last weekend after a 6 month stretch. I'm not relaxing again until December. Six months works for me. I was beginning to experience some breakage and wanted to avoid that at all cost. I did a rollerset that came out pretty well but I don't know how to upload the pics to my post so I just changed my avi. LOL

Congrats on your stretch! Did you do it like Sylver2 with no wigs, weaves or braids? Were your pleasantly surprised with your length and thickness.? Please share some of your stretching tips.

Checking in... I'll be 27 weeks post on Saturday :-) I'm a little over 6 months into my transition.

I am going to stick to what I'm doing right now - regimen: http://public.fotki.com/MummysGirl/transition-to-natural/transitioning/ (summary: cowash 4x a week, DC 2x a week, moisturise daily, no direct heat, low mani daily styles: http://public.fotki.com/MummysGirl/transition-to-natural/hairdos-while-trans/).

I'm doing well so far without weaves, wigs or braids and I plan to keep it that way.

HHG Ladies.

Checking in... I'll be 27 weeks post on Saturday :-) I'm a little over 6 months into my transition.

I am going to stick to what I'm doing right now - regimen: http://public.fotki.com/MummysGirl/transition-to-natural/transitioning/ (summary: cowash 4x a week, DC 2x a week, moisturise daily, no direct heat, low mani daily styles: http://public.fotki.com/MummysGirl/transition-to-natural/hairdos-while-trans/).

I'm doing well so far without weaves, wigs or braids and I plan to keep it that way.

HHG Ladies.

Good for you! One day I'm going to try this 6 month stretch thing. One day.

Hey Everyone I just ended a 15 week stretch yesterday (see siggy below) but I would like to join this group for my next stretch. I am hoping to go longer this time. :yep:

Hey Everyone I just ended a 15 week stretch yesterday (see siggy below) but I would like to join this group for my next stretch. I am hoping to go longer this time. :yep:

Beautiful! It is so much thicker. did you relax it yourself? That is a lot of hair. Was 15 wks your longest stretch?

Beautiful! It is so much thicker. did you relax it yourself? That is a lot of hair. Was 15 wks your longest stretch?

Thank you. I did relax it myself with some help from my mom. That is my longest stretch so far so it was tough dealing with the new growth. Therefore I enlisted my mom to help so I could properly get through my hair in in 20 minutes for a texlax outcome. I hope to stretch an extra month next time.

I am so happy its getting thicker. I will probably get a professional trim once I reach my goal.

Wow! This is great growth for 15 weeks and it's so thick! I really thick stretching helps to keep our hair full and thick.

Congrats on your stretch! Did you do it like Sylver2 with no wigs, weaves or braids? Were your pleasantly surprised with your length and thickness.? Please share some of your stretching tips.

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised. It's hard to explain...it's longer, but it feels lighter than before I permed it...I don't know it's weird.:perplexed I wish I could have lasted longer - I was hoping to begin a transition. I liked the texture and feel of my ng. I guess, ultimately, I did give my hair a much needed break. I cowash frequently and did the wash and go more than anything else. Occassionally, I braided the front of my own hair and then pulled it into a bun and that style would last a few days. Cantu shea butter leave in is really my only staple (and really my only tip is MOISTURIZE!!!:grin:). I tried a sew-in, but I only lasted a little over a week and I just had to take it out. I was so used to washing/cowashing that I just couldn't take it!

Good luck to you and all the other ladies on stretching! I'm starting again....:spinning:

Attachments

• June update wash day.jpg
    June update wash day.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 29
  • June update 1st rollset in years.jpg
    June update 1st rollset in years.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 27
  • June update rollset outcome.jpg
    June update rollset outcome.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 29
Ooooo, I am struggling with this . . . . My last relaxer was May 1st and I can not believe how much I feel I need a relaxer. I can NOT get used to not combing my hair and the moisture/seal routine keeps my NG puffy. Before joining the board, I could go 3 months easily, but my hair has changed so much I find it harder to do this time. We are going away July 9th and I am still trying to choose between a touch-up and braids.

What to do, what to do? I guess I will go back and re-stalk some fotkis . . .

One week, one week until I texlax! I can't wait! The 6 month stretch hasn't been difficult with taking care of my hair. What's been difficult is how to wear my hair with the two textures. I've been bunning and towards the end doing a lot of twist outs. I won't be able to post pics because I am in the HYH Challenge. I will be taking pics though and at the end of the year I can share them. By then I will have completed another 6 month stretch so I will have even more pics to share.

I'm 14 weeks post and I'm getting the urge to relax, however, I'm not going to. I just miss my straight, sleek hair.

Last edited:
I had my last relaxer the end of march and boy the ng is killing me but ive been bunning which i hate dearly. ive stretched 11 months before but for some reason its killing the heck out of me now i dont know why

I'm officially 2 months post today and going strong. My NG seems looser than I remember so I think my 4 month mini goal won't be as hard as I thought *cross fingers*

Back