Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

lawd i co-washed today and i am trying so hard not to cave at 3 months post. My hair is just not behaving today I have a lot of shed hairs all over my bathroom sink

Currently 12weeks(as of monday) going for 24weeks(6mo).

Im half way into my stretch and Im so tempted to relax, YIKES!

My hair no longer likes cowashes, it gets really dry, and without heat its a tangled hot mess.

I have to change my regimen a bit to go with what my hair wants. From now on I will be Washing & DCing, airdry/flat ironing once biweekly.

Last edited:
Re: Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I know I'm late, but I'd like to join as well! Hopefully I can make it because my thyroid doesn't like for me to go longer than 12 weeks :perplexed I've lost a lot of hair, including a good portion of my edges, so I'd like to give them a break

I'm going for 6 months, so that'll put my next relaxer on November 2 :D

:bighug:

Tiffers I hope they figure out how to get the situation with your thyroid fixed soon!

I made it to 19 weeks post yesterday and have a minimum of 13 weeks to go:yep:. I'm still in extension braids so it's fairly easy for me at the moment. I think some of my henna has arrived, so I will be picking that up today from the post office.

18 weeks post today and going strong. Still touching it as little as possible. I'll do a protein treatment tomorrow I think. Now I'm dressing my hair up with headbands. I am loving my waves:yep:.

I going on 11 weeks post and have been cowashing everyday and have not been combing during the week. Yesterday night, I cowashed with V05 and moisturized with NTM and sealed with oil. This morning, my hair is sooooooooo dry and I have some tangles! :( I need to reevaluate cowashing this often. Or I need a better moisturizer (I love the feeling of water on my scalp, I would hate to give up my cowashes). I need something to make my hair baby soft after I cowash.

What conditioners are you using for your cowashes?
Do you shampoo wash once in a while?
Some people need to... I haven't shampoo washed in 3 weeks and my hair's doing ok right now but once it starts to misbehave, I'll shampoo wash and start all over again.
How often do you DC?
How's your hair's porosity?

^^ LOL @ all my questions....

I am 25 weeks post now, I cowash 4 times a week right now but each time I cowash I comb my hair when damp, after applying my leave in conditioner. I can't cowash my hair and not comb it, I will definitely have tangles.

Another thing: Some ladies rinse out their hair instead of cowashing on some days, I haven't done that before but that might be something to try out?

I going on 11 weeks post and have been cowashing everyday and have not been combing during the week. Yesterday night, I cowashed with V05 and moisturized with NTM and sealed with oil. This morning, my hair is sooooooooo dry and I have some tangles! :( I need to reevaluate cowashing this often. Or I need a better moisturizer (I love the feeling of water on my scalp, I would hate to give up my cowashes). I need something to make my hair baby soft after I cowash.

What conditioners are you using for your cowashes?
Do you shampoo wash once in a while? and start all over again.
How often do you DC?
How's your hair's porosity?

What conditioners are you using for your cowashes? V05 Moisture Milks: Either Strawberries and Cream OR Passion Fruit Smoothie
Do you shampoo wash once in a while? Yep, Once a week
How often do you DC? Once a week as well
How's your hair's porosity? On wash days, after I DC, I will use Roux Porosity Control (let it sit for 5 mins then rinse), but I do not know how to test the porosity of my hair. What are some good indicators of my hair's porosity?

I'll be very honest with you now and say - I do not test my hair's porosity (i.e. do an actual test)... the instant it starts to feel like it's not absorbing moisture or it's just misbehaving - I shampoo wash, use PC for 1 min, protein DC, moisture DC and my hair's good again.

I've read that the test is:
Put a strand of shed hair in a bowl of water:
a. Healthy hair floats because it has sealed cuticles
b. Porous hair sinks cos cuticles are open.

^^ I don't think I have ever tried it, lol.

What conditioner(s) do you use for your DCs? Just wondering about your protein-moisture balance...

What conditioners are you using for your cowashes? V05 Moisture Milks: Either Strawberries and Cream OR Passion Fruit Smoothie
Do you shampoo wash once in a while? Yep, Once a week
How often do you DC? Once a week as well
How's your hair's porosity? On wash days, after I DC, I will use Roux Porosity Control (let it sit for 5 mins then rinse), but I do not know how to test the porosity of my hair. What are some good indicators of my hair's porosity?

I'm in, I'm already at 23 weeks post going for at least 24. I'm trying to make it beyond my previous record of 8 and a half months post before getting a re-touch. I can't see getting my hair relaxed more often than every six months anymore and am enjoying giving my hair and scalp a break from the chemicals.

It's not nearly as hard as I used to think it would be to stretch. Weekly conditioning and keeping my new growth and ends moisturized with quality products like those from the Qhemet line have made it really easy for me to do the long stretches.

I'm at about 10 weeks I guess and while I was natural for years...stretching becomes trying right about now. I have an inch of new growth and I'm wearing my hair in a bun. I have a special event coming up next month and I'm tempted to texlax early. I'm going to try to reread this post for inspiration, my goal would be to stretch about 15-20 weeks. I know I can make it five more weeks and the thing is though...I go to bi-weekly washing at this length and I hate NOT washing my hair weekly, but I would just lose way to many strands detangling and straightening at this point. Looking for encouragement and proud of you ladies that are doing it!

I made it to 19 weeks post yesterday and have a minimum of 13 weeks to go:yep:. I'm still in extension braids so it's fairly easy for me at the moment. I think some of my henna has arrived, so I will be picking that up today from the post office.

OMG! I miscalculated how deep into this stretch I am. I was actually 20 weeks post yesterday with a minimum of 12 weeks to go and not 19 weeks like I posted earlier today.

I'm jumping off this week. I want my hair (not the wig) to look nice on Father's Day. I'm relaxing :grin: this week at 21 weeks post.

ETA: Relaxed at 21 weeks post, not 22.

Last edited:
Sigh...I just realized I have a month left until I hit 16 weeks. I'm at 12 weeks now and to quote one of my LHCF sisters, my new growth is like slavery!!!!!! I added a new conditioner to my regimen...using the VS So Sexy Nourishing conditioner is a really good detangler. I used it last night after my DC and I didn't even need to use an ACV rinse, my hair was so soft. I highly recommend it.

I've made an appointment for next Friday 6/26 to relax, a good 3 months before my original end date. I can always change my mind. But I'm starting to get paranoid about my hair. I'm afraid that I may be stretching too far. I haven't noticed any issues, no breakage of any kind. Just the regular run of the mil shedding, but for some reason, I can't shake the fear that my hair is holding up as well as I think it is, I don't know if I have this fear because I've never truly stretched before or what.

I'm 13 weeks post this week. I washed and DC'd and instead of doing a braidout, I did a twistout using this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKugFF04jI.

She has the most beautiful twistout I've ever seen. My twistout didn't turn out as pretty as hers but I do like it. I think I'll be doing twistouts instead of braidouts from here on out.

I am planning on going to the salon today for a relaxer... I was planning on getting a dominican blow out.. but i will relaxer instead.. i'm 15 weeks post and i am pushing it.. my new growth is in knots.. and i just saw my edge on my left side has a bald spot and i am freaking out...
I'm relaxing after 15 weeks

I'm 16 weeks post and its actually going well. I'm going to relax sometime this week. I'm moisturizing with Kids Organic Detangling Shea Butter Moisturizing Lotion and wearing braidouts and updos.

I'm 11 weeks post and so far so good. Keeping my ng soft and hair moisturized and bunning all day. I'm really hoping to make it to 16 weeks and then at that point I'll observe my hair's shape and decide if I'm going to continue streching...but overall just taking it week by week.

I've made an appointment for next Friday 6/26 to relax, a good 3 months before my original end date. I can always change my mind. But I'm starting to get paranoid about my hair. I'm afraid that I may be stretching too far. I haven't noticed any issues, no breakage of any kind. Just the regular run of the mil shedding, but for some reason, I can't shake the fear that my hair is holding up as well as I think it is, I don't know if I have this fear because I've never truly stretched before or what.

If you look further back in this thread you will see that I experienced some paranoia also. I definitely believe it has to do with the fact that I have never stretched this long (without being in braids). You can always blow dry & flat iron for an assessment.

If you look further back in this thread you will see that I experienced some paranoia also. I definitely believe it has to do with the fact that I have never stretched this long (without being in braids). You can always blow dry & flat iron for an assessment.

Thanks Shay! I really think its the same thing, I've just never gone this long. I gave my ceramic flat iron away, after burning out my hair (like it was the flat irons fault and not the fact I had it so high).

I may just do what I did the last time I went in April, get the rollerset and have her press the roots. Knowing her she won't want to relax me anyway and will try talking me out of it, we'll see.....

I finally passed my longest stretch of 20.5 weeks post yesterday. I reached 21 weeks post and I am ecstatic about that. WooHoo!!!

Ok, I'm in!

I was hesitant to want to join because I didn't know if I really could stretch since this is the first time I'm doing it. I usually relax as soon as enough NG comes in, so I'm guessing every 6 weeks or so. I'm coming down to my 8th week and so far it's very manageable. My realistic goal is 4 months but I'd like to stretch for 6 months.

Back