Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I haven't had a relaxer since last August. And for some reason it really isn't that difficult like it used to be. Oh, I remember why now!:lachen: It's because I'm always protective styling it...wearing wigs or braids and stuff.:grin:

Very low manipulation!

STRUGGLING!

8 weeks post, 1 1/2+ inches of NG. Must... fight ... the ... urge!

'tis all :nono:

Girl, just protective style it. If you got to wear a wig for a week or throw some cornrows in it...do what ya' got to do! :yep:

And how do you have 1.5 inches of new growth...that's good girl. Your hair grows fast just do all you can to retain the length.

Girl, just protective style it. If you got to wear a wig for a week or throw some cornrows in it...do what ya' got to do! :yep:

And how do you have 1.5 inches of new growth...that's good girl. Your hair grows fast just do all you can to retain the length.

Thanks for the advice, but I believe that I will give in next week.

As far as the new growth, I have been taking a cocktail of vitamins and minerals. I will start a new vitamin/mineral regime in about two weeks. Imma try to see if I can grow my hair 1 1/2 inches per month :rolleyes:.

We'll see.:look:

I am about 9mos post now and so far its been easy since I have been doing the C&G method. I must admit I would like to relax and just see what kind of growth I have oh and the swang of a fresh relaxer, I so miss that. I am trying to hold out until Thanksgiving just so I will have a fresh relaxer for the holidays and then I am only doing 6 mon stretches after this.

I think after this round with the braids I will at least blowdry and flat iron my hair to see where I am.

i took down my braids and :nono: what a surprise

i'm almost 21 weeks post now, and i just didn't know what to do! this is the furthest stretch i've had yet. i had to dry my hair in braids and then go back with a spray bottle to wet small sections of my hair to rollerset (which hide my roots)

but good thing seeing my curlies for the first time in years

Hey eager beaver here!!! 1 day post! :lachen:

Ok seriously i want to try and stretch for 6 months but i will see how i do at 3.

I'm going to really look after my ng and line of demarcation with proper moisture and protein balance and low mani.

Can i join please?

:wallbash: I'm going to have to throw in the towel. I will be exactly 3 months on friday. And my hair is starting to shed like crazy and i'm seeing knots all over my hair. So I will be relaxing sometime next week at 14 weeks.
12 weeks seem to be my max no matter what i do.. My hair is well moisturized and soft, with the right amount of protein.. and yet i cant make it to six months. Sigh
So next tuesday or wednesday I will relax at 14 weeks
I have about 1 3/4 to 2 inches of new growth.

:wallbash: I'm going to have to throw in the towel. I will be exactly 3 months on friday. And my hair is starting to shed like crazy and i'm seeing knots all over my hair. So I will be relaxing sometime next week at 14 weeks.
12 weeks seem to be my max no matter what i do.. My hair is well moisturized and soft, with the right amount of protein.. and yet i cant make it to six months. Sigh
So next tuesday or wednesday I will relax at 14 weeks
I have about 1 3/4 to 2 inches of new growth.

if 12 was your max and u will be 14 u did great:yep:
stretching is hard but does get easier each time. when i first began stretching.. it became like a game. i wanted to see how many different stretching methods i can come up with.

I'm 6 months this week. I'm actually really surprised I made it this long. Before this, the longest I've ever stretched was about 14 weeks. I think I'll go for another month or so since I'm not struggling at this point.

What I've learned:
- single strand knots are evil,
- i have to detangle on dry hair first before i wash,
- co-washing is my friend,
- occasional flat ironing allows my scalp to breathe and thus reduces shedding (i don't know how to cornrow or I'd do that instead)

I have always relaxed 1/qtr, or every 1.5 inches or so. I was very used to stretching. However, since joining LHCF in March my growth required me to relax at 7 weeks. Last relaxer was May 1st, and I am going to try to stretch till July. If I can make it to July, I will try to stretch till Jan. But I will be honest . . . my hair is very fine and breaks easily and I already have an inch of NG. ACV got the breakage/shedding under control, but I am a little scared.

if 12 was your max and u will be 14 u did great:yep:
stretching is hard but does get easier each time. when i first began stretching.. it became like a game. i wanted to see how many different stretching methods i can come up with.

Do tell... I dont want to give up. I'm going to wash my hair later today and use ACV. It's not breaking.. my hair is just shedding a lot and knotting. I want to go longer, my hair is soft.
I have a wedding i have to attend 2 weeks from today. I want to get my roots blow dry instead.
Tell me ur tricks so that I can last that longer, I dont want to give up yet:nono:

Hello
I am new to the forum, and i don't know much about stretching can someone please post their regimen.

Hello
I am new to the forum, and i don't know much about stretching can someone please post their regimen.

Hi Joseelie,
Welcome! I encourage you to check out Sylver2's regime, the link in in her siggy. She's posted on here a few times so just click back a couple of pages. Different methods and styles work for different people. If you're not used to stretching, it's probably best you increase your stretchs a week or two at a time until you find a regime that works well for you. Some like co-washing especially because it keeps their new growth soft. Deep conditioning is an absolute must, as always, but especially when stretching to keep your newgrowth moist. You also have to have your protein balance in check to avoide demarcation line breakage; increasing your protein can be good but make sure you up your moisture as well. These are just a few basics, happy stretching.

17 weeks post today. Still have not decided whether to retouch at 20 or 28 weeks. If I find a good detangler, I'm going for 28. I'm going to try out Mane n Tail. I've heard good things. So far so good though...

ETA: I haven't DCed in weeks but I felt it was time to today. My hair feels great!

Last edited:
Do tell... I dont want to give up. I'm going to wash my hair later today and use ACV. It's not breaking.. my hair is just shedding a lot and knotting. I want to go longer, my hair is soft.
I have a wedding i have to attend 2 weeks from today. I want to get my roots blow dry instead.
Tell me ur tricks so that I can last that longer, I dont want to give up yet:nono:

You sound like you could use a good detangler as well for the knots and tangles. what ever you do, be very gentle and patient when detangling. Pre-pooing with olive oil really helps with that too.

Are you manipulating your hair a lot? I've been shedding too but it's because I don't comb and it's accumulated shedding.

Try whatever, as long as it's not breaking and you aren't losing loads of hair, you can hold out a bit longer.

I was sooooo trying to resist this thread. But I can't help myself!! I'd like to join!!! I'm 10 weeks post now. At first I was going to 16, then I changed my mind to 20, now I really want to do 24 weeks!!!

My Reggie:
Co- Wash 2- 3x a week
Poo (WEN, NO SULFATES PLEASE!)
DC1 x a week
Buns during the week
One roller set a week-air dry (this is when I DC)

I love stretching because of the nice surprise you get in gaining length. I would never get the same feeling by only stretching 6- 8 weeks.

Just look for the link in Sylver's siggy to her youtube video - it's all in there. It's very very helpful. I've already started using her techniques (like keeping the hair braided while washing for example) and they work.

Last edited:
I gave in and relaxed yesterday. I...just...couldn't...take...it! I did make it to 8 weeks (I know, lightweight) but I usually relax around 6 weeks.

I think that I will buy a wig or phony pony in order to make it 10 weeks this time.

I gave in and relaxed yesterday. I...just...couldn't...take...it! I did make it to 8 weeks (I know, lightweight) but I usually relax around 6 weeks.

I think that I will buy a wig or phony pony in order to make it 10 weeks this time.

You are making great progress...keep it up!:yep:

You sound like you could use a good detangler as well for the knots and tangles. what ever you do, be very gentle and patient when detangling. Pre-pooing with olive oil really helps with that too.

Are you manipulating your hair a lot? I've been shedding too but it's because I don't comb and it's accumulated shedding.

Try whatever, as long as it's not breaking and you aren't losing loads of hair, you can hold out a bit longer.

Bingo.. that's it. I only comb when i am detangling in the shower every once or 2 weeks lately cause it's too much work with the new growths.
Thank you HoneyA you always come through for me:kiss:

Back