***!!! ~ I'm a Survivor ~ !!! ***

Thanks so much for the encouragement, BronzeBombshell, AND for the JBCO/Aloe Vera tip. I happen to have both of these products in my extensive cabinet, so I'll give it a try...

Has anyone had a spot last 6+ months? I've had an aerata spot for about 8 months that was triggered by stress. I got 3 rounds of cortisone shots and no real progress. I got about 2-3 fine strands in a spot the size of a quarter. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Doc says it's an autoimmune disease and that I just have to wait. I'm taking vitamins & eating clean. The stress is gone so why won't my hair grow back???

Just feeling discouraged :-(

Yes, I've been using grapeseed oil mixed with rosemary, peppermint, and tea tree oils. The doc gave me this steriod cream call protopic (sp). The skin in the spot is still smooth and shiny. The doc said she doesnt think its the scarring kind of alopecia but I'm beginning this think it is. In May, it will be a full year of having this spot :-(

Hows your diet? exercise? stress levels? overall health? Does your hair have proper moisture/protein balance and low manipulation? Keeping scalp clean?

I've just lost 30lbs and exercise 3-4 times a week. With the weight loss, my eating habits have greatly improve. I co-wash more than I shampoo which is about 2x a week. I use Joico K-pak reconstructor once every 2 weeks and deep condition after with Joico moisture recovery. Overall, my hair is thriving. I’m transitioning from textlaxed to natural.

My stress levels have reduced. The first 8 months of 2010 were really rough for me but things are a lot better now. I just don’t know. I guess I really need to stop worrying about it. I’m sure worrying is not helping.

I've just lost 30lbs and exercise 3-4 times a week. With the weight loss, my eating habits have greatly improve. I co-wash more than I shampoo which is about 2x a week. I use Joico K-pak reconstructor once every 2 weeks and deep condition after with Joico moisture recovery. Overall, my hair is thriving. I’m transitioning from textlaxed to natural.

My stress levels have reduced. The first 8 months of 2010 were really rough for me but things are a lot better now. I just don’t know. I guess I really need to stop worrying about it. I’m sure worrying is not helping.

Have you checked your iron levels. Mine is due to be anemic and so now I am on iron pills but need to get better at taking them regularly. My hair still breaks, balds and growths back and rinse and repeat, hopefully with the new addition of iron pills it won't be the case for my hair next year.

prettynatural - thanks for sharing! my thinning/loss is very similar to yours. you give me hope!!

Last edited:
I am slowly but surely claiming survivor!! using homemade sulfur mix with JBCO - been about 6 weeks. see before and after so far - the 2nd and 3rd pics were just taken today and the first one was taken back in January of this year. thinking about seeing a dermatologist to discuss potential usefullness of steroide creme. have heard mixed reviews on that so far. this is such a fantastic thread. having the ability to share information about a common problem is so very helpful -thanks to the initiator of this thread!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Great progress Coyacoy and Prettynatural!

Keep the suggestions coming, bcs your tips could inspire someone's breakthrough.

update:

I cut two inches tonight, but I needed to. My hair was a detangling mess! I was so outdone I didn't bother trying to make my faithful coffee rinse to bail me out. I was just so surprised that my hair just revolted on me. Joice Moisture Recovery was my saving grace. First time using it, too. I have some thinning around my hairline that just suddenly appeared - i don't know if this is stress-related or what. I guess I need to really surrender it all and not just in word, but in deed...I'm gonna triple-up on my Faith Confessions for Healthy Hair along with my visual images for accelerated progress.

I will have HIPLENGTH, thick, long and strong natural hair in Jesus' NAME!!! I will NOT surrender my dream- My hair WILL reach waistlength in 2011, setbacks will not hold me back.

Remain vigilant, Survivors, we have the victory!
~B*

Thanks, B*! stay strong re: the setback - i have faith in us all to acheive our most desired hair outcomes :yep:

I forgot to mention that I am also taking MSM and liquid biosil. planning on reintegrating flaxseed oil and starting biotin for the first time in the not too distant future. hoping to really see some positive changes. also exercising 5x per week for at least 30 minutes, drinking plenty of water and at least 3 servings of fruits and veggies daily. My weekly reggie is as follows:
- wash weekly with homemade shampoo using black soap and a blend of some fav all natural oils (this is an extremely moisturizing shampoo y'all - love it)
- pre-poo overnight or at least an hour with homemade shea butter mix
sulfur application 3-5x per week
- baggy and silk scarf nightly - this really preserves the moisture - so much so that I no longer need to moisturize daily but rather every other day
- moisture every other day with coconut or vatika oil
- henna monthly (mixed with homemade condish)
- braid as PS and lace front wig it

this pic at the bottom is of the back view after wash with a little coconut and vatika oil - pic taken mid-braiding regimen :blush:
HTH and HHG!!

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 75
Your hair looks delishus, Coyacoy! That's a solid reggie you have. I really need to officially draw-up a reggie and plot it my planner. And stick to it. You've inspired me.

I am debating about trying nettle leaf and saw palmetto extract to add to my aloe vera/castor oil mix. I suspect i have dht-related hair issues.

I just pulled out my AMino Acid horse pills. My own version of HF37 - which works, btw, but so pricey...I cut two inches and i want them back - pronto. And, I have to restore my hairline.

SOmeone remember to tell me to stay consistent, puhleeze? Well, in my own defense, it seems that after a product works for a while, my hairline suddenly begins to look sparse. Is it because the old hair is shedding and making way for new hair? I mean, that's what I am conceptualizing...because it doesn't seem to make sense - which leads me to product jump. I'm trying to stick to one thing, but it is unnerving to observe this in action. It just makes me want to abort, abort!

Get it together, Br*nze, get it together...

My name is Stepha, and I'm definitely a survivor!

I first noticed a problem in my jr. yr of college, I was wearing a short tapered styles, I developed small bumps smack dab in the middle of my nape, and soon the hair began to fall out. I had no it idea what it was, so for the next few years I would put bump stopper, doo gro oil, dr. miracle's etc. I got some relief but not much. Finally my stylist decided to recommend me to a derm, who gave me cortisone shots throughout the affected spots on my nape, and prescribed Rogaine. I only stayed on the the Rogaine briefly, because it made even more of a hairy monkey, lol. But continued with the shots regularly. I also was prescribed clobex shampoo which I used periodically. One observation that I noticed is that my hair would get better, grow in, but it would all but disappear after I got a relaxer. It took me some time and a few scalp burns to pick up on this trend before I finally gave up the LYE.

Throughout my transition, there was this one particular spot that felt completely different than the rest of my hair. It was dry, broken off, and didn't respond to any product. I thought it was what people refer to as scab hair, I nick named it "the evil patch". Fast forward to wash day on 12/22/10, I noticed there was a bit of a gap , while shampooing that section of my hair. My heart dropped, I ran to the SO to have him look at it and take pics. My evil patch, had turned into an all out bald patch!! I was mortified, but could kick myself for not taking action because I had noticed more hair loss on wash days in the the back of my hair which was already thinner than my otherwise thick hair.

I remembered reading Nonie's thread about progress with the EO, mix, so I searched it and have been using it ever since. Things got worse before getting better, I noticed a smaller patch almost parallel to that a few weeks later, and it seemed that the original patch had gotten bigger. It's been 3 months since I started the eo scalp massages and I"m just now I'm noticing a little fuzz. I am seeing the derm periodically for shots (he doesn't seem to be that concerned with the spot), went back to ayurveda, and am taking vitamins. I will come back in June @ month 6 to report my progress with current reggie. I'm staying positive and hoping that I will finally have victory offer this problem for good!!

Keep on fighting ladies!! Love this thread!

Last edited:
Welcome Survivor Stepiphanie!

I totally can relate to the grow, relax, break, grow, relax, break cycle. This is what finally got me to quit my relationship with LYE, too.

I just wish I had done it sooner, because I would have saved my hair. I'm still in a battle, I think it took a toll on my edges, so now I have to be very careful and delicate with them. I'm a wetbun addict and that hasn't helped matters.

Keep posting and looking forward to you maintaining and retaining your progress!

Thanks for the warm welcome Bronze!!

I wished I would have stopped relaxing sooner too. What baffles me even more when I think about is is how neither my stylist nor my doctor suggested I stop or even take a break from relaxers, smh:nono:

I wished I would have stopped relaxing sooner too. What baffles me even more when I think about is is how neither my stylist nor my doctor suggested I stop or even take a break from relaxers, smh:nono:
Welcome, stepiphanie! good luck on your regrowth! oh, the joy of the peach fuzz ;-) !

Your hair is beautiful either way!

More than welcome, Chica.

You know what, Stepiphanie? My Derm DID recommend that I stop relaxing and I was like :perplexed:ohwell::sad::nono:. I actually asked him, "What am I supposed to do with my hair?" :blush: I was clueless. This was about 7 years ago.

Funny thing, when I was an undergrad, I always confessed that I'd be natural again one day...Then, the stick straight hair addiction via Dominican Blow Outs blew my mind...I was in hoggg heaven. I loved when I wore my hair straight that it was bone straight, with volume, sheen, bounce and SWANG. Hardly any Sistas could achieve that look in real life, and I was so happy I had it w/o the aid of extensions, too. They weren't hip to the Doobies back in the day - here in the South, but I was up on it. :yep: I couldn't imagine life without Giselle hair, honestly. To quote Virginia Slims, "I've come a long way, Baby."

Viva Le KinkyCurly!!!

Lol, you are too funny :lol:

I probably would have reacted the same way if someone told me to stop relaxing even 3 years ago.

Kinky Curly hair is definitely the best, and the look of awe that people get when you finally straighten and swang it in their faces?...PRICELESS!!

More than welcome, Chica.

You know what, Stepiphanie? My Derm DID recommend that I stop relaxing and I was like :perplexed:ohwell::sad::nono:. I actually asked him, "What am I supposed to do with my hair?" :blush: I was clueless. This was about 7 years ago.

Funny thing, when I was an undergrad, I always confessed that I'd be natural again one day...Then, the stick straight hair addiction via Dominican Blow Outs blew my mind...I was in hoggg heaven. I loved when I wore my hair straight that it was bone straight, with volume, sheen, bounce and SWANG. Hardly any Sistas could achieve that look in real life, and I was so happy I had it w/o the aid of extensions, too. They weren't hip to the Doobies back in the day - here in the South, but I was up on it. :yep: I couldn't imagine life without Giselle hair, honestly. To quote Virginia Slims, "I've come a long way, Baby."

Viva Le KinkyCurly!!!

I have used Homemade Garlic Oil as a nightly scalp elixir since Monday. It has reduced my shedding dramatically. Hoping to get great results on my hairline.

hi Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll - how do you make your garlic oil? i would much rather apply topically rather than taking garlic because i am concerned about the smell of it coming out of my pores - lol - thanks!

hi all! hope everyone is doing well. just posting a few progress pics. first set is from january and the second is march 25. very excited aobut the progress in the front - thank you Lord!! will keep using the sulfur and taking my vitamins :grin:

Attachments

• Hair-thinningfront-Jan2011[1].jpg
    Hair-thinningfront-Jan2011[1].jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 81
  • HairJan232011[1].jpg
    HairJan232011[1].jpg
    576 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1052[2].jpg
    IMG_1052[2].jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 68
:yay::yay:
Coyacoy! You are doing it, Glory to God! Keep it up! Now, what are you using again? Be specific, M'am.

I simply peel an entire clove of garlic in about 16oz of EVOO and WGO and brew in a slow cooker for about 12 hours. That's it. I don't take the garlic out, though, I leave it in :look:. I pour some out of the bottle and use as needed. I refridge the rest. I like my garlic strong. I also take those hideous garlic oil capsules and yes -- i breathe garlic flames daily (I feel sorry for my colleagues/family that are close to me, but oh well, beauty first :lol:). But I gotta get this shedding under control.

:yay::yay:
Coyacoy! You are doing it, Glory to God! Keep it up! Now, what are you using again? Be specific, M'am.

I simply peel an entire clove of garlic in about 16oz of EVOO and WGO and brew in a slow cooker for about 12 hours. That's it. I don't take the garlic out, though, I leave it in :look:. I pour some out of the bottle and use as needed. I refridge the rest. I like my garlic strong. I also take those hideous garlic oil capsules and yes -- i breathe garlic flames daily (I feel sorry for my colleagues/family that are close to me, but oh well, beauty first :lol:). But I gotta get this shedding under control.
Thanks for sharing your recipe - and yes indeed beauty first! ha!

so the sulfur mix i am using is just 2 tsp sulfur and 8 oz of JBCO. I apply at least 3 times per week - sometimes 2 if i just get lazy - I don't worry about rinsing it out and just make sure that I moisturize regularly with coconut or vatika oil. i would like to get more into co washing, but i don't often find the need to wash more than once a week and with that interval use shampoo. also i am slackin' on my pimpin' when it comes to dc'ing - i have aspirations for a steamer so i am on a frugalista hunt for one! I plan to get serious about dc'ing using the steaming method!! Wondering whether you have tried the tangle teezer? if so what did you think of it?

hi all....

just posting progress pics for April. still using the sulfur mix - added almond oil to it this batch. :lick:

Attachments

• 4-9-11.jpg
    4-9-11.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 53
  • frontshot4-9-11.jpg
    frontshot4-9-11.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 51
  • back4-9-11.jpg
    back4-9-11.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 51
Back