***!!! ~ I'm a Survivor ~ !!! ***

Hey Survivors - You guys have been missed! How's the frontline going? We seem to be advancing, huh? Onward and upward!!

Ajoke and Yvette, I'm so glad to hear of your sucess - Wooh-Wooh-Wooh!!!

That's pretty major and NOT to be overlooked. Any day you keep hair on your head, in your scalp and make major progress, is a VERY good day, imo.

Lynnie B, thanks for the reminder about Olux. I was on Luxiq at one while -- don't know why I stopped, it's also a topical foam (i'm gonna search my cupboards to see if I still have some). Cloebetesol, is the generic version- taking notes....keep it coming, you guys.

Don't sleep on DermaSmooth ( Thanks, Hair4romheaven --- about $47 without Insurance, most companies won't cover it)- I was making pretty good progress, until I experimented on my hairline (and started wrapping my hair) and then I suffered a mini/major setback. My head is in a good place, though. I started to get bummed out, but - I did this to myself. (My hairline was really looking good, you guys, it was filling it really nicely)

I just have to remember to stick to something for six months or more and document, document, document. *sigh*

Flowinlocks, I got sooo excited watching that video for female hair transplantation- until I stumbled, no fell across the cost!!!
$11,000 for two procedures
$7,000 for one - Insurance doesn't cover, ofcourse.

It looks pain-free and relatively simple, too....ahhh, well. I'll keep praying and believing for these herbs and meds to work, lol - and maybe in vest in a laser comb...or helmet a la Positively Radiant.

Speaking of, Positively Radiant, pleeeese come in and share your results. Yeah, I read your teaser ...good for you!

~Blessings,~B*

Not just SURVIVING but THRIVING in this war against Alopecia~~~~~~~

Last edited:
I found two more small spots last night :( They are small but more nonetheless. This lets me know that by body still has some type of auto-immune problem which it has not self corrected. I will be doing a Full Body Dedox starting in September. Hopefully that will give my body the opportunity to fix what is wrong

The previous spots have grown back, thank good, but now of course they are short hairs compared to the rest of my hair, so now I need to find styles to work with that. I will post update pics when I can

Hello Ladies, I have a quick question. I just bought a steamer a few weeks ago and I have been using it about twice a week since then. Today, I sat under the dryer to DC after washing my hair and I experienced some tingly, uncomfortable sensations on my right hairline(which is the part most affected by the hair loss). Has anybody else experienced this? What could it possibly be?

Ajoke, I think that uncomfortable sensation may be a good thing. I think it could be your follicles waking up and birthing healthy hair...I really do think it's something that's beneficial and not harmful. Please keep us updated.

Glad to know you have survived, Natural Hair Stylist. Care to tell us more?

Ajoke, I think that uncomfortable sensation may be a good thing. I think it could be your follicles waking up and birthing healthy hair...I really do think it's something that's beneficial and not harmful. Please keep us updated.

I will Bronzebombshell. Thanks for the support and encouragement. I am cautiously hopeful. I want to be able to say I survived someday.

Hi Ladies :wave:

Will post a 2 month update with the helmet this weekend when I have more time and I can pin my photographer down (i.e. hubbie). There has definately been an improvement I have new baby hair sprouting up all around my edges. I also seem to have a "ringed" around my head at the front just behind the new baby hairs which is more reluctant to grow which Ironically from braids, weaves and half-wigs where I was asking the braider "not to braid my edges" or where I left out hair to blend :ohwell:

Anyway its growing. The density is less but at least I have hair there now. :grin:

I think lacewigs (UNGLUED and just pinned) have been much better for my hair than half wigs as they are lighter and there is LESS pressure from tightening up the strings at the back to make it sit tight and so you don't get the "friction" on the scalp at the front which rubs away vulnerable hairs.

Will be back ladies. :kiss:

Last edited:
Would you care to repeat your lost post, ajoke?

Congrats PRadiant! That is some really good news. I can't wait to hear more of your progress report.

Scalp friction. The main reason I don't wear wigs tugging at my scalp, pulling out hair that i definitely need.

Cutie, Gosh, i'm so sorry you found another spot. Has your reggie changed, any?

Survivors, keep thriving, not just surviving. Wishing you all healthy heads of beautiful hair.

I was just diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. I have a smooth half dollar sized bald spot at the top of my scalp. I've been to the derm and received a steriod shot a week ago. I don't feel any growth yet (as you can see I lack patience). I'm praying this works. This started out as a dime shaped spot in May and has grown to this. I'm trying to get all the tips I can so I'm....

*Subbing and Bumping*

Thanks for posting Jenaee, we're with you in this journey, and we know you'll be a Survivor, too!

Put on patience, my dear, because it'll take a litttttttle time, but you'll get there.

How often will you frequent the derm? Make sure you keep your appointments and take pictures to note your progress.

^^I'm going once a month for now. I'm due for 2 more shots. My derm says it works for some people but not all. And that if this doesn't produce results, we will move on to another treatment. She leans on the side of its an auto immune system issue than just stress (however, I kinda disagree. This has been a very stressful year for me). Which is funny because I just had a physical & my blood work came back ok.

I'm gonna hang in there...cuz I really have no choice but to trust & believe. I'm speaking healing over this :-)

That's the Spirit, Jenaee!
Confess The Word over your hair and scalp, I do.
I confess that God's Word says my hair is my glory ~ and I confess that my hair is long, thick and strong and grows all the way down to my butt, that it doesn't break or fall out, in Jesus' name!

Most importantly, don't be moved by what you see (sometimes things get worse before they get better, it's a trick to get you off of your faith confession), it takes time for what you confess to manifest. It's coming, just give it time...it's coming...

The Word works, but you gotta work it.

Bronze was the thinning at your hairline due to tension?

It's been about 10 months since I first noticed my temples thinning. (due to wearing half wigs, I'll never wear fake hair again :nono:) I havent been babying it the full 10 months but I did thing there would be some progress by now. I was crying earlier because I was so upset. I'm thinking about a transplant because this spot is really bothering me.

I went to another derm last week and he was great. He took some test and just called me yesterday to say the only thing was that I am slightly low in iron so I will work on that. Hopefully this is the last spot. Just crazy. I tried to do the full body detox and I was doing pretty well but I think since I was at school and couldn't focus 100% it wasn't effective. I just wasn't feeling detox symtoms so I stopped. But I still try to eat salads and drink tons of water. My regimen is actually pretty good. Co wash on Weds, DC on Sun, moisturize in between.

I will be starting on some multi vitamins and such on Friday and always I will post progress pics as they come

how do u all feel about rogaine?

ok I had to edit b/c I want to explain my theory...

Rogaine is usually for gentic hair loss meaning that if it is internal yes you would have to use it for life!!
Topical treatmets are not fixing internal problems!!!

BUT if ur hair loss is not gentic (self inflicted - i.e. traction alopeica) I don't think you would have the adverse affects of hair loss if the treatment is stopped - esp if u are taking care of the new hair coming in and changing practices that could have caused the hair loss in the beginning....

what do u feel? I'm thinking of trying it...but right now I'm giving Nixon Follicle Booster a try...

Last edited:
I think part of it, yes. I have been wet bunning, and while it is has saved the majority of my hair, by mid-day, my head and scalp feels t-i---g-h-t. Like I need to rewet and rebun all over again. And I start off with a pretty lose bun, but you know how that goes, as it dries, it shrinks. But the major thinning came from product usage. I started a new topical treatment and it ATE up my hairline in front. It was just too strong for my sensitive hairline...so I'm working on fixing that asap.

Bronze was the thinning at your hairline due to tension?

It's been about 10 months since I first noticed my temples thinning. (due to wearing half wigs, I'll never wear fake hair again :nono:) I havent been babying it the full 10 months but I did thing there would be some progress by now. I was crying earlier because I was so upset. I'm thinking about a transplant because this spot is really bothering me.

I'm glad to hear you had a great appointment. It is such a relief to find a good doc - who knew it would be such a trial? I haven't been able to fully detox, either, so you are not alone. I look forward to your updates.

I went to another derm last week and he was great. He took some test and just called me yesterday to say the only thing was that I am slightly low in iron so I will work on that. Hopefully this is the last spot. Just crazy. I tried to do the full body detox and I was doing pretty well but I think since I was at school and couldn't focus 100% it wasn't effective. I just wasn't feeling detox symtoms so I stopped. But I still try to eat salads and drink tons of water. My regimen is actually pretty good. Co wash on Weds, DC on Sun, moisturize in between.

I will be starting on some multi vitamins and such on Friday and always I will post progress pics as they come

Your theory sounds plausible to me. A person would really need to know if their problem is external or internal for this to work, and for someone like myself, i've had to deal with both. But I know this works, because Minoval is a popular product and the active ingredient is --- rogaine. So you are right on target.
I wish i could take it without concerns of being a lifer...i just pause at anything i have to do FOR LIFE, ya know? It's like a life sentence....I hear great things about nioxin. I'm using Alter Ego Cren right now. We'll see...

how do u all feel about rogaine?

ok I had to edit b/c I want to explain my theory...

Rogaine is usually for gentic hair loss meaning that if it is internal yes you would have to use it for life!!
Topical treatmets are not fixing internal problems!!!

BUT if ur hair loss is not gentic (self inflicted - i.e. traction alopeica) I don't think you would have the adverse affects of hair loss if the treatment is stopped - esp if u are taking care of the new hair coming in and changing practices that could have caused the hair loss in the beginning....

what do u feel? I'm thinking of trying it...but right now I'm giving Nixon Follicle Booster a try...

It started when I was 17 during my senior yr in high school I was stressed out. I started pulling from the top of my head. When I had a noticeable bald spot I could hide it wearing phony ponytails. By the time I was 19 I had pulled all of my hair out and all that was left was fine hairs that had grown back. I wore wigs to hide it. My mom took me to a therapist who discovered I had what was called Trichotillomania. I carried the shame around for almost 20 years. No one understood it, I didn't understand it. I do know this much; whenever I am stressed I tend to zone out and my hand goes right in my hair playing then eventually pulling. I decided to fight it 5 years ago when I had a cancer scare. Its helped that my s/o has a sister with the same problem but isnt as strong to fight it. I did have a set back earlier this year and saw a thinning spot but I am changing it. I'm resisting the urge to pull . When I am at home I make sure that I have my hair wrapped and in a scarf especially if I am stressed and I don't have a handle on it. I refuse to spend more money on therapy(which didn't help) and prescribed meds. I began to pray on it. Only two people besides myself really can share the joy in my accomplishment of having a full head of hair now and not hiding it in braids or sew-ins so that I can have a secret spot to pull.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I didn't read the entire thread yet (its 16 pages) I just wanted to share my story first. I encourage all ladies with this and all other forms of hair loss that you can fight it.

Thank you for sharing, Gadgtdiva. You are the epitome of a Survivor! Congratulations on your full head of beautiful hair.

Prayer changes things.

Mannnn my spot is itching like crazy today. Hasnt itched like this for a while. ugh! just had to get that out.

Looking forward to the updates!

This is a great thread. I think I have alopecia. I'm in my mid 30' and my nape has been bald since high school. I think relaxers and a bout with eczema (in my hair) really hurt my hair. My edges are also very thin. My hair doesn't take well to dyes, relaxers, weaves, etc. I'm just going to see a Derm about this. I don't know I was never taken in high school or why its taken me so long. I think I'm just having one of those aha moments that my bald nape isn't bald just because. Off to read the rest of this thread. I have an appt with the Derm on Friday. I'm prayiing that there's still hope for my hair. My hair dream has always been to wear my hair in a bun. That's all I want. I can't wait to see the derm on Friday.

Thanks to everyone who shared their wonderful stories. My goal has changed. I now want a full head of hair and I'm making positive confessions over my hair. I've been praying about an answer to this for years. I'm determined to find it. Delayed is not denied. My derm has done pretty well with my skin. Just hoping he does well with my hair. For the ladies that had scalp examines, did you wash your hair before your appt? I have a hair appt and derm appt in the same day.
Anymore updates ladies?

Gosh, Yodie, I don't know how I missed your posts. I apologize.

My hair is feeling so thick and healthy, Thank You, JESUS!!!

I'm still working with my hairline, because I did have a setback (growth aides and rough stylist). I am absolutely certain it will be okay. The rest of my hair is thriving.

You guys CAN have the hair of your dreams. Stay encouraged. To quote Yodie, "Delayed is NOT denied."
~B*

Update-

Well, I went back to my derm last week. I am still making progress but there is a small spot that I am concerned about that has not filled in. The doctor has me off of the Olux-E and gave me a script to get Nizoral. From past dealings, this shampoo is very drying to my hair so it is going to be hard making sure that my hair is properly moisturized.

My doctor also told me to buy the Elon thinning hair care system. It comes with shampoo, conditioner and vitamins. He wants me to wash my hair 4 days a week with this product and alternate between using this and my Nizoral.

He also suggested that I get MEN'S Rogaine foam, which I did.

So, I will be washing my hair 4 days a week with either the Elon system or my Nizoral and using my Rogaine. Hopefully, this will solve my issues.

You all are very inspiring. Due to a BKT Treatment gone bad, I have bald spots in the front of my head.

I wrote about it in this thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...ion/520957-next-step-bkt-disaster-fiasco.html

I am now seeing a Trichologist, using their vitamin/shampoo/conditioner and scalp treatments, and will be undergoing laser therapy.

Hopefully it will bring my hair back soon! Already my hair has stopped shedding and breaking so that may be a good sign.

Yvette and CynamonKis, Welcome to Survivors! I know you'll whip this hair loss issue. We are here for support and encouragement. If you need specifics give us a pm.

CynamonKis, i'm so sorry you had a bad reaction to bkt. I've bkt'd my hair twice already, with no negative side effects. I pray that both you and Yvette get your hair back on track, doubly fast, in Jesus' Name.

I read in another thread that someone (forget who...sorry) used Aloe Vera Gel and Jamaican Black Castor Oil for thinning, bald spots. I 've been using it on my hair line and within the same week - I have baby hair sprouting all over the place!!!!!!!!!! You guys need to jump on this ASAP. I'm about to buy a 32 oz of bottle of castor oil and Aloe Vera Gel from Vitacost. I simply mixed it 50/50 and applied it to my hairline and scalp.

How are all the other Survivors doing?

Back