***!!! ~ I'm a Survivor ~ !!! ***

^^^ Hi Yvette that sounds really good and it sounds like you made a connection with the Dr and Trust him. This is very impt in my opinion.

I also just wanted to add that Country life Biotin is supposed to be very good. I am thinking of ordering some myself in addition to my hair vits.

Also you might want to try aloe vera gel on your scalp to help with the scarring. The muco-polysaccharides in the aloe vera will also help stimulate your follicles and Aloe vera is pH balanced so should not upset your scalp or block your follicles.

HTH's

Ladies, I just saw this comment here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUa-9A2aQg:

Laser therapy is certainly no miracle cure, but it has been shown to help grow hair thicker and healthier. Your hair loss might be slowing down, but still progressing somewhat. Did you take any tracking photos? The hairline is the most difficult area to treat with laser therapy because there are fewer hair follicles there to begin with so laser will have less of an effect. Have you considered in-office treatments with clinical laser or prescription Propecia?

It was a reply made by Dr Baumann who apparently uses this therapy.

Im happy you had a good appointment with the dermotologist Yvette. I used to take biotin and it increased the thickness and rate of my hair growth. I will probably go back on it, but for some people it does have some side effects. e.g. spots on face, bad dreams, bad period pain.

I was taking so many vitamins for a while that I don't know what was working. I hate it when I do that. I really truly believe that MSM and regular old prenatal vitamins were giving me everything I need. It doesn't affect my bald spot but it keeps the rest of my hair growing strong.

^^^ Hi Yvette that sounds really good and it sounds like you made a connection with the Dr and Trust him. This is very impt in my opinion.

I also just wanted to add that Country life Biotin is supposed to be very good. I am thinking of ordering some myself in addition to my hair vits.

Also you might want to try aloe vera gel on your scalp to help with the scarring. The muco-polysaccharides in the aloe vera will also help stimulate your follicles and Aloe vera is pH balanced so should not upset your scalp or block your follicles.

HTH's

Thank you for the suggestion of Aloe gel. I have some at home. I am going to get this foam stuff today and start using that. I think I will implement the gel in a couple of months. I want to see how this foam is going to work AND I need to get the results of my blood work back first. When I go back on 8/3 and if there are no underlying medical issues and the foam seems to be working, will ask the doctor about using aloe vera as well.

He did say no more relaxers and said if I needed to have one, to get a kiddie perm. I told him my hair would laugh at a kiddie perm and it would be a waste of time and money. He laughed and said most people say that.

I did ask him about my wigs and hair pieces and he said that I can resume wearing them.......YEAH!!! However, I think I am going to wait for a couple of months because I want to direct all my attention to using my rx and getting my scalp healthy.

Survivors, have you all tried Derma Smoothe Hair Oil? I've heard some good reviews and have received a script from my new dr.

I am soo excited!*!*

Im happy you had a good appointment with the dermotologist Yvette. I used to take biotin and it increased the thickness and rate of my hair growth. I will probably go back on it, but for some people it does have some side effects. e.g. spots on face, bad dreams, bad period pain.

I have taken it in the past, but stopped a long time ago. I think I still have some at home but I need to check and make sure it is the right kind and has not expired.

I really need something that will heal my scarring and develop new tissue and awaken my follicles. The area in my crown is smooth. Tissue has formed over the follicle opening as if I had trauma. Cicatricial Alopecia is no joke. There is potentially no chance for regrowth unless I surgically have the scars removed. So I've been told by countless Trichologists.

Try Derma Smooth,Sade, the lady who told me about it said her smooth scalp areas refilled with hair, relatively quickly, too.

I just had a rx called in to the pharmacy. If you google it, you'll learn more about it. A side effect is excessive hair growth...

Yvette

I would stay away from the kiddie perms some of them have been shown to have a harsher pH than adult perms thereby making them more dangerous for the scalp. There is a thread here somewhere on LHCF listing the pH of some of the most popular relaxers and it has been suggested by some dermatologists that we should not use relaxers with a pH above 12. Especially if you have fine hair or existing scalp problems.

Thank you for the suggestion of Aloe gel. I have some at home. I am going to get this foam stuff today and start using that. I think I will implement the gel in a couple of months. I want to see how this foam is going to work AND I need to get the results of my blood work back first. When I go back on 8/3 and if there are no underlying medical issues and the foam seems to be working, will ask the doctor about using aloe vera as well.

He did say no more relaxers and said if I needed to have one, to get a kiddie perm. I told him my hair would laugh at a kiddie perm and it would be a waste of time and money. He laughed and said most people say that.

I did ask him about my wigs and hair pieces and he said that I can resume wearing them.......YEAH!!! However, I think I am going to wait for a couple of months because I want to direct all my attention to using my rx and getting my scalp healthy.

More laser info ladies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mttk9qcVw3s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUa-9A2aQg

Quotes:

Laser Therapy works on the hair you have, not the hair you've lost. Transplantation restores hair follicles to the depleted area. Laser therapy helps make hair follicles produce longer, thicker and healthier hair--this is important when you have an area that is miniaturizing due to hereditary hair loss. If the follicles are dead and gone, forget it--you will need transplants to restore that area. Find a board-certified hair doctor and do your research. --Dr. B.

alanbauman
1 month ago
@valiantfocker Laser therapy is certainly no miracle cure, but it has been shown to help grow hair thicker and healthier. Your hair loss might be slowing down, but still progressing somewhat. Did you take any tracking photos? The hairline is the most difficult area to treat with laser therapy because there are fewer hair follicles there to begin with so laser will have less of an effect. Have you considered in-office treatments with clinical laser or prescription Propecia?

Last edited:
Great googly-moogly! I picked up my foam from CVS today and thank God, I have a flexible spending account!! The rx was for Olux foam and that is what I got, no generic rx. It was $264.74!!! It comes in a pump, net weight 100 g, so it is not that big.

I really hope this stuff works because this is going to be a drain on my flexible spending account. The derm wrote my script for 3 refills, that is almost 800.00 bucks!!!

The only thing that might help to not use this whole bottle up too quickly is that I am suppose to use it every other day, not every day. So, we'll see. I just got done putting it on my scalp, hope it works!

Last edited:
More laser info ladies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mttk9qcVw3s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUa-9A2aQg

Quotes:

Laser Therapy works on the hair you have, not the hair you've lost. Transplantation restores hair follicles to the depleted area. Laser therapy helps make hair follicles produce longer, thicker and healthier hair--this is important when you have an area that is miniaturizing due to hereditary hair loss. If the follicles are dead and gone, forget it--you will need transplants to restore that area. Find a board-certified hair doctor and do your research. --Dr. B.

alanbauman
1 month ago
@valiantfocker Laser therapy is certainly no miracle cure, but it has been shown to help grow hair thicker and healthier. Your hair loss might be slowing down, but still progressing somewhat. Did you take any tracking photos? The hairline is the most difficult area to treat with laser therapy because there are fewer hair follicles there to begin with so laser will have less of an effect. Have you considered in-office treatments with clinical laser or prescription Propecia?

Those youtube videos were really interesting. Especially that woman with the parting down the middle of her head. It obviously had filled in. In a couple of years, i bet everyone will be using them. It will be the new 'in' thing to do. But obviously we're already ahead of the game :grin:

Great googly-moogly! I picked up my foam from CVS today and thank God, I have a flexible spending account!! The rx was for Olux foam and that is what I got, no generic rx. I was $264.74!!! It comes in a pump, net weight 100 g, so it is not that big.

I really hope this stuff works because this is going to be a drain on my flexible spending account. The derm wrote my script for 3 refills, that is almost 800.00 bucks!!!

The only thing that might help to not use this whole bottle up too quickly is that I am suppose to use it every other day, not every day. So, we'll see. I just got done putting it on my scalp, hope it works!

264 WHAT?!:blush: U better start saving ur money but for that price, that ishh better work!

Just got back from the dermatologist. The Professor was so quick, took a glance at my scalp and said traction alopecia- I felt it was a bit stereotypical. Anyways, I had a deeper talk with his assistant. They gave me a prescription for a shampoo to help with the itching scalp, but I'm not supposed to use it until I wean my daughter. Also they took blood samples and took some hair for a hair biopsy, so I have to wait a week or two for the results.

I feel like the doctor doesn't know the challenges a black woman faces, because I had my hair in loose cornrows and he said ' no more cornrows, or hairbands of any sort' What am I supposed to do then? I have natural hair and I feel like loose cornrows are the least tension style I can do right now. Maybe I should just shave the hair all off. I am thinking I might try to get an appointment in the UK or the US with a doctor who has more experience with black people. Meanwhile, I'll wait and see what the test results show.

I'm sorry your visit wasn't more worthwhile. It definitely seems like they have 'canned' responses to hair loss, especially in African-American women. Let us know how things go and if you pursue another doc.

Bumping! Ladies, what have you been up to? I will be going to the dermatologist this week for the results.

Hey, doing pretty good on my end, Ajoke and BQueen. Been wearing my hair straight for the last month and i think it has helped my edges. I also stopped wrapping and started pin curling (i just couldn't get it right, before). This helped as well.

How's everyone else?

Hey everyone how you all doing :wave:

I have been MIA for a while as I just started a new job so been focussing on that.

Hey Lizzie got your pms so sorry for the haitus.

Anyway seeing as you asked about the helmet I will update here.

Basically I bought the lazer helmet and have just received it this week. Apparently when you order it, it then has to be built from scratch.

I plan to use it for the first time this weekend as the instructions say use it on clean scalp and then apply growth aids afterward.

I will then update re my results.

Wow, Positivelyradiant! Can't wait to hear your review as well. I need to run now, but will be back later to post an update on my lab results.

Update:
So my blood analysis and hair analysis were okay. My follicles aren't dead!!!!!!! The doctor put me on 5 mg Biotin and said to come back after weaning my daughter for topical treatment which they can't put me on now because it contains oestrogen. I had tried 5mg Biotin before, along with DE and got horrible flare ups so I was wary. This time I'm only using the Biotin and my antenatal vits. So far no significant flare up, except for the first day, when I promptly applied ACV. Worked like magic.
Also, he strongly adviced agains headscrves and tight cornrows.

I have changed my regimen to washing every Wednesday and Saturday. Applying burdock root extract or nettle extract to my hair line every night, and I am drinking a LOT of water. Also, after washing, I do flat twists, which I take out the next day andmake a teeny ponytail (or bunny tail like someone called it ;)

So far, knock on wood, seems to be a good regimen. I am proud that I haven't had a weave or cornrows in almost 2 months.

Positively radiant, looking forward to your helmet review with bated breathe!

Just wanted to come back and update. I went back to my dermatologist for my check up. I am pleased to say that the areas were my hair was balding have filled in!!!! Woo-hoo!! The doctor was very pleased with my progress. I have been faithfully applying my foam every night and taking 5mg of biotin.

I do not have my next check up until January. I was given another script for more foam and sent on my way. I am very happy. Now that I am totally natural I think that will only help to solve my scalp issues.

264 WHAT?!:blush: U better start saving ur money but for that price, that ishh better work!

Jeezus! My derm gave me a handful of free samples he gets from the 'script pushers that constantly visit doctor's offices. I had about 5 or 6 Olux aerosol cans.

Next time ladies, when your doc gives you 'scripts - PLEASE ask them if they have any samples!! PLEASE.

Olux foam was one of the things I was using when my hair grew back. I can't say whether it was THE ONE thing that got the hair growing or if it was any number of things that I was trying at the time. I'd like to think it was a big catalyst.

Wishing all my alopecia ladies well!

Just got back from the dermatologist. The Professor was so quick, took a glance at my scalp and said traction alopecia- I felt it was a bit stereotypical. Anyways, I had a deeper talk with his assistant. They gave me a prescription for a shampoo to help with the itching scalp, but I'm not supposed to use it until I wean my daughter. Also they took blood samples and took some hair for a hair biopsy, so I have to wait a week or two for the results.

I feel like the doctor doesn't know the challenges a black woman faces, because I had my hair in loose cornrows and he said ' no more cornrows, or hairbands of any sort' What am I supposed to do then? I have natural hair and I feel like loose cornrows are the least tension style I can do right now. Maybe I should just shave the hair all off. I am thinking I might try to get an appointment in the UK or the US with a doctor who has more experience with black people. Meanwhile, I'll wait and see what the test results show.

Oh yeah, traction alopecia. That's what the student in my doctor's office proposed and my doc thought it was a good guess. :rolleyes: I politely explained that I do my own hair and I do not pull, and I know how gentle I am because when I braid babies, they go to sleep. I also pointed out that had it been traction alopecia, it'd be more likely to happen along my hairline than in a random place in the back. Doc nodded in agreement while student just sat there looking confused. (I wanted to whisper to his baffled self, I'm an LHCFer ;) We know what's up, you see!)

I have mentioned Immunolabs but they are not cheap. :( There was a time when my insurance Blue Cross Blue Shield was considered in-network (or is it the other way round) and so I'd only pay $10 copay (while w/o insurance it's almost $1,000). Now I have to pay as if it is out of network and so it's like $600+, but my doc passed on his savings and I ended up saving an extra $100. Thankfully, they do allow installment payments which you decide on the amount you'd like to pay monthly--so that's been a great help.

Anyway, in case you missed my posts about Immunolabs, they do blood tests that can determine if food may be causing you some negative effects, including hairloss. It's different from the allergy tests you might've had like scratch tests. I'd had one of those but it never nailed foods that don't agree with me the way this did. When I changed my diet per the results from Immunolabs, the itching stopped pronto.

So if your tests don't show anything, I hope you can save up and get Immunolabs test done. You'd just call their 1-800 number and ask them for doctors in your area, and maybe what you can expect to pay on your insurance. Then ask them to tell you of doctors in your area who are members. You will be so surprised at how well you will feel if you tweak your diet so it's not hurting you, and you may just find your hair loss had something to do with that too.

Jeezus! My derm gave me a handful of free samples he gets from the 'script pushers that constantly visit doctor's offices. I had about 5 or 6 Olux aerosol cans.

Next time ladies, when your doc gives you 'scripts - PLEASE ask them if they have any samples!! PLEASE.

Olux foam was one of the things I was using when my hair grew back. I can't say whether it was THE ONE thing that got the hair growing or if it was any number of things that I was trying at the time. I'd like to think it was a big catalyst.

Wishing all my alopecia ladies well!

I am now using Olux-E. When I first went to the derm, I got script for Clobetasol ( it is the generic version) Now, when I was using the Clobetasol, it was only to be used once a day, the Olux-E I have to use twice a day. It also is kinda of "oily."At first, I thought I had some left over oil residue on my hair from my moisturizing and sealing but I used it right after I clarified my hair last night and noticed it was still somewhat oily. I guess it makes no difference as long as it works.

I had totally forgotten that we can run our prescriptions through RESTAT prescription program here at my job. So, I did use my flex card to pay for the 264.00 fill I got but after that, I ran everything through RESTAT and my refills were 10.00!!!! That is a HUGE difference.

When I was 21 I wanted highlights. I went to a white salon and this woman who looked like a witch (she really did! Big mole on nose and everything) was hating on me and OVERLY highlighted the MIDDLE of my hair. JUST LIKE A SKUNK! I was looking crazy!! I had brown hair and the middle part was almost white all the way down my head! Then I went to a Black stylist who dyed my whole head a platnum blonde to "even out the color" and I wore that for a few months until the new growth started coming in, then.. I went back to the Black stylist and told him to BC all the colored hair off my head and put in a weave. For the next three years I was a weave wearing queen!!

I had thought of going natural for some time. So I just woke up and cut all my pretty hair off.

The permed hair
cutie1.jpg

My bc/ Notice the choppy job. Did this myself in the mirror. Lol.
Thebcblack.jpg

Professionally cut with all the perm gone!! Colored my hair from a box. Before bleach damage

meandbabe005.jpg

My hair was growing and six months later, I decided to put a bleach blond in my hair. I loved light hair, and I figured that since I didn't have a perm, I could have blond hair!

P3160051.jpg

Well...I was wrong. My hair does not like bleach at all!! By my 1yr nappaversary, my hair was broken off and destoyed. I got especially pissed when I watched videos of girls whose hair was long and beautiful at their 1 yr natural mark. I gradually grew some of the blond hair off and started my hhj April 6, 2010. I also bc again from this point! WHat a bummer! But instead of being jealous, I became proactive! I decided to join LHCF and found inspiration.

Starting pics of HHJ in April 2010. Notice how bad my ends look and how rough the condition of my hair was.

DSCN0649.jpg

DSCN0639.jpg

DSCN0642.jpg

Here I am now as a result of my HHJ. I am feeling much better about my hair's future and length goals. No more coloring for me!! I;ve definately learned my lesson.

Thanks to all of the girls at LHCF!! You guys rock!!!

July 2010: Just after seven months of my second bc

DSCN0788.jpg

Last edited:
Back