I think I'm going to have to BC because my hair looks awful..

Harina

I've posted one photo in post #5. Will post more after I get off of work.

Either that or texlax. I know I'll look some sort of funky with a cropped head so it will probably only be the latter. I only went natural because I thought it'd be less maintenance but no it's not. It's much more work and my hair still looks bad. I'm starting to think maybe my hair is damaged which is why it looks bad all the time, but I don't really do anything that damaging to it so I don't know why it would be. I've used heat maybe 10 times. Technically, I've been natural for 3 years, though I've only really started taking care of it for the past 1.5 years. It's always dry. It's always breaking. I feel bad because I wanted to be natch for life but I don't think it's in the cards for me. No matter what I do to it, it just looks off. I see people on this board with my hair type all the time (4b) and it looks nice, but my hair looks bad. People don't ever say anything good about it. I get people s******ing at me all the time. And I know they're right because I know it looks bad. I don't understand where it all went wrong?

Last edited:
Aww sorry to hear about this girl :(....i would like to know your reggie and products you use as well. and IMO, if you see damage/breakage I think the worst thing you could do is texlax....unless you cut off all the damage first and then texlax. I think you should stay away from harsh chems until your hair strengthens. DON"T FRET my dear, be patient, it will get better :bighug:

Sorry I'm at work.

2hycdxf.jpg

This the most recent photo of my album. This one doesn't look that bad. I will post more close-up pictures eventually.

I use ors aloe shampoo, and suave naturals (usually coconut) to cowash. To deep condition, I use the motions silk deep penetrating conditioner or ors replenishing pak to deep condition. I usually wash/cowash every 3 days or so but lately because I've got sahara dry hair I've been doing this everyday. I deep condition 1 or 2x per week. I usually alternate between wearing my hair in an afro puff or synthetic braids/twists. I just go out of a 6 week threading bout. I've only pressed my hair twice since I've been natural. That's about all.

I've been moisturizing with Qhemets Biologic Burdock Butter and sealing with coconut oil or I've just been sealing with the oil after leaving a little bit of the cowash conditioner in.

I just can't deal with the time constraints. If I texlax, I'm really hoping it will cut down on the bulk but I still want some coils.

Aww....Riverrock.... :bighug:

OK, let's stop for a minute and think. You started caring for your hair only 1.5 years ago. That means you still have hair from 1.5 years of "abuse" which will be making its presence known as much as possible, after all, it's been around longer so kinda feels in charge.

When people start to care for their hair, they forget that still on their heads is hair that did not get the TLC they are now giving their heads. So that hair will continue in its sad state, and may sometimes break, appear thin, not respond to products--because that was where it was headed. Sometimes you do need to cut that off to be able to see and appreciate the fruits of your labor.

This also applies to growth. If your hair was growing at a slow rate because your diet was poor or whatever, and you start doing everything right. You may not see it go from neck length to shoulder in what would be considered the "normal rate of growth" because the old hair might still be experiencing its inevitable demise. But in time, you'll be rid of that "dead" hair and behold, a whole new life will be sprouting from your head.

So I say think of the first year or so after you start caring for your hair as a "die-off" period. Sometimes regular trimming can ease you into the "healthy hair stage"...but sometimes, a BC might be what you need so you can stop wasting time on a "dying breed" and focus on the new healthy baby. The latter, while it can be a shock, can be a great way to start to know your hair as it truly is...and thus get familiar with what works. It can also be a joy to see your hair all healthy when the damaged section is gone.

Don't texlax, think this through. Nonie gave great advice too... Maybe a deep trim vs a BC?

OK, let's stop for a minute and think. You started caring for your hair only 1.5 years ago. That means you still have hair from 1.5 years of "abuse" which will be making its presence known as much as possible, after all, it's been around longer so kinda feels in charge.

When people start to care for their hair, they forget that still on their heads is hair that did not get the TLC they are now giving their heads. So that hair will continue in its sad state, and may sometimes break, appear thin, not respond to products--because that was where it was headed. Sometimes you do need to cut that off to be able to see and appreciate the fruits of your labor.

This also applies to growth. If your hair was growing at a slow rate because your diet was poor or whatever, and you start doing everything right. You may not see it go from neck length to shoulder in what would be considered the "normal rate of growth" because the old hair might still be experiencing its inevitable demise. But in time, you'll be rid of that "dead" hair and behold, a whole new life will be sprouting from your head.

So I say think of the first year or so after you start caring for your hair as a "die-off" period. Sometimes regular trimming can ease you into the "healthy hair stage"...but sometimes, a BC might be what you need so you can stop wasting time on a "dying breed" and focus on the new healthy baby. The latter, while it can be a shock, can be a great way to start to know your hair as it truly is...and thus get familiar with what works. It can also be a joy to see your hair all healthy when the damaged section is gone.

So true, so true. I've been natural for about 8 years, but decided to give up the flat iron about 6 months ago. i tried to "transition" but just looking at the "old" hair was frustrating, so I chopped off about 5 to 6". best decision I ever made.

Nonie, you always have great pearls of wisdom. :yep:

THis is so true. Back when I was just a couple of inches from APL, I was so excited. Even though the hair towards the ends (at least 3 inches) was over processed from perming every four weeks. So I started flatironing my hair, loving the length and it broke off. As it should have.

Now the hair on my head is all new healthy growth with the exception of those thin half inch ends that are left.

People think that they just had setback but in actuality, that hair had to come off one way or another. My hair, by breaking off, did the work for me instead of me cutting it.

Sorry I'm at work.

2hycdxf.jpg
Riverrock, I'm looking at your hair and while it doesn't look bad, I think I know what you mean. IMO, you are doing too much. I honestly think less is more.

Would you be willing to try an experiment? Shampoo your hair so as to remove all products on it. Then DC with whatever conditioner you find most moisturizing. Then rinse and do a final rinse with ACV. Please use a very dilute solution. If you can, get distilled water from the grocery store in the gallon (it's usually cheaper than regular water) and pour a little out then add about 2 tablespoons of ACV into it, and pour this over your hair.

BTW, I don't know how you wash your hair, but I NEVER wash my hair unless it's braided or twisted. And it's always in a detangled state. So before you wash, I suggest you apply some slippery product and detangle it in small sections and plait them as you complete each to ensure it stays that way. Then the following paragraph will help:

If I have been wearing my hair out, then I wash in big braids about six to ten--which is VERY rare coz this method takes forever. I apply shampoo to the braids, then workind on one at a time, I will undo them while drenched in water and some slippery shampoo (Therappe, Giovanni Deep Silk or whatever it's called) and comb. Then promptly plait it back and work on another. Then I rinse all first while braided, then to be thorough, I start undoing to comb through with water running through (<--helps a lot) again one at a time and braid it under water before moving onto the next section. Then the same with conditioning. Then I ACV rinse similarly. By the time I'm done, my hair is plaited in fully detangled sections.

Then I towel dry and let it dry a little in the plaits. I then undo and apply S Curl to make the hair slippery enough to comb. I work on a section at a time, but this time I don't rebraid, coz I'm getting ready to style. Hair might look whitish coz of the water, but that'll go away. I usually wear it in a puff like you have in your photo. Because my hair is wet, it usually shrinks into what I call a "bun cake" and feels so compact it makes you think of those mats you use to wipe off mud at a doorstep.
October2008BunCake-vi.jpg

You really can't put your finger through it when it's that compact but it looks neat and works for the day. And yes, by the time it dries, it doesn't feel soft.

In the evening, I take out my elastic band and using fingers, pull out a small section in the back. Spray S Curl till it's wet and then comb through. I work on a few more sections and then plait. I do that to all of it, then baggy for the night.

In the morning, I take off the baggy and hair feels wet. I can comb it immediately or just let it dry a bit just so I can have a bit of stretch. Because of the moisture of S Curl, my hair will still be shrunken, just not as much as in the pic above. But the amazing thing about Day 2 hair is the softness in feel and appearance. This puff was done on a day that wasn't wash day and as you can see it's slightly bigger but also you can see from the close-up how soft my hair looks, and I swear to you, it really was:
roPuffSept12008Justoutofbraids-vi.jpg

I know showing length is something many like to do, but if you can at least first master a regimen that makes you appreciate your hair, then we can worry about showing length later. I think using too many products makes them act on each other and lead to hard hair. I know that from my own experience: it wasn't until I gave up all the things everyone liked (butters, Creme of Nature shampoo, oils) that I discovered that I really do have soft hair. And it is this love for my hair w/ less that is sort of to blame for my laziness...and that might be working against me to an extent. Like I know sealing ends is good for hair but not only is that too much like hard work when I'm used to doing nuffin, but subconsciously, I think I dread the hard hair syndrome I remember. I do hate to feel products on me so as I discussed with Msa one day, when my laziness leaves, I will so try her Castor oil sealing on my ends and wear my hair up in cornrows. I think once you feel your hair in its softness, you'll understand where I'm coming from. ;)

I feel like we have similar stories although I lost hair in the middle-front and crown area because of heat damage from a flat iron. My hair seem to be responding to my new refound hair care but I didnt really see a difference until I did a "Deep Trim" one Sunday afternoon. I went from SL/almost APL to CBL. It was the best decision.

Im still comteplating on whether to do a BC so I can even out my crown and front area with the rest of my hair. I would do all of this before I telaxed and with the time, patience and a investment in good products u can get the "telaxed" look without telaxing lol.

Riverrock, from this picture your texture/thickness looks a lot like my tween daughter's hair. I have had the hardest time finding products and a regimen that works for me (easy) and for her (stylish). I was so focused on length for her hair, that I disregarded all that I knew about health and it took me longer than it should have to figure things out. For my daughter's hair we use AOHSR as a pre poo. I slather it in her hair and then detangle with a wide tooth seamless comb. It sits on her hair for twenty minutes and then she washes it out with a moisturizing shampoo. (She washes her hair in either twists or braids which I put in only after her hair is covered in AOHSR- sometimes taking them down, sometimes not.) After washing she does a final 1-2 minute conditioner, rinse, and then she's out of the shower. I use Qhemet's Amla or Burdock and then seal with castor oil before doing two strand twists. She moisturizes with a Qhemet moisturizer and castor oil 2-3 times a week and her hair has done a complete 360!
Now, I don't expect this to be the regimen that we will use when the weather warms up. I think castor oil may be too heavy, and I may be able to convince her to go with box braids or yarn twists for a different summer style, but this is working for her hair and it is no longer brittle and prone to breakage. The only thing that I plan to try in the near future is Roux Porosity Control.
All this to say that the simpler the better and less is more in some cases. Health first and then you can make a better choice.

I agree with the advice given. Don't give up just yet. If style is what you're looking for, then consider rocking twists w/ extensions until you can get a better handle on your regimen.

I think you should leave your hair alone for a while and see what happens. My texture has only gotten to the point where I like it in the past 3 months. At first I didn't like it and almost regretted going natural. It truly takes time and patience to get to your hair goals.

When I feel like I'm going to give up, I protective style or hide my hair until the moment passes. So now I'm in kinky twists; and I'll be protective styling until my nappiversary in June.

Like Nonie mentioned before SCurl is a very good moisturizer. It is one of my staples! I tend to have very dry hair. Also a seamless, wide toothed comb and washing and conditioning your hair while it is braided are good ideas!

By the way, the ORS Cremy Aloe Shampoo is probably too stripping to use weekly and may be the cause of your consistent dryness. Its a clarifier and a chelator, so you might want to try a less harsh shampoo like the ORS Uplifting Shampoo, Nexxus Therappee Shampoo or many others that are more moisturizing.

Thank you everybody who responded. Sorry it took me a while to reply. I was just trying to think things through a bit and examine my hair. I am not going to bc but cut off about 2 inches around. And for the near future, especially, because I'm in school I'm going to put my hair in box braids and follow the c&g method for about a month and a half. I did Nonie's expirment but instead did a protein/dc and followed with prosoity control and moisturized with coconut oil. It feels a bit better today. I don't usually wash with twists but rather just four sections

I will look into scurl. I always see it being thrown around here. Hopefully Krogers or Publix carries it. I've never heard of the uplifitng shampoo and will look into that as well. Thanks!!

I think I am going to give myself about 2 more years with being natural and if my hair isn't how I want it to be, I think I will texlax. Even looking at my hair now, the density of it, even if it is acting right in a couple of years, I will probably do a texlax anyway because it is incredibly dense. A little too much for me. But I guess I'll see.

If you want to retain moisture in your hair - remove all products that contain silicones, mineral oil, petroleum and sulfates. As Nonie suggested you may need to get rid of all the old hair and start fresh. Use Sulfate free shampoos.

First, clarify to remove product build-up and start your new regime from there on. Keep your hair moisturized and remember to seal your ends.

lots of good advice has already been given....i just wanna add that in my world of curls, afro puffs=breakage and protein DCs=breakage so you might wanna cut down on both....especially if you keep your afro puff for longer than 1 day :nono:

lots of good advice has already been given....i just wanna add that in my world of curls, afro puffs=breakage and protein DCs=breakage so you might wanna cut down on both....especially if you keep your afro puff for longer than 1 day :nono:

I just want to clarify that my dc was an egg added to my conditioner with olive oil. Is that still enough protein that would cause breakage?

Also, just looking at the picture, I know it's not the best quality, would you say my hair looks damaged?

Please don't give up! Try a few of the techniques mentioned above but don't over do it. I love your thick full hair!

I just want to clarify that my dc was an egg added to my conditioner with olive oil. Is that still enough protein that would cause breakage?

Also, just looking at the picture, I know it's not the best quality, would you say my hair looks damaged?

most definitely not! trust, people are NOT talking about the damage when they say your hair looks bad-likely they don't have an appreciation for your BEAUTIFUL texture.
most of the time, when type 4 hair is shrunken, it never looks damaged.

my suggestions: i wouldn't wet my hair so often. i believe this may be a big part of why you feel it is so dry. try washing/DC'ing only once a week, and wearing your hair in a stretched out style.
another (potentially) controversial tip here: many type 4s, myself included, find out that heat may actually help us to retain length, and could become a part of a healthy regimen. just a thought...check out this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=448896

Last edited:
i think that you should incorporate waaaaaay more moisture into your regimen. everything your using sounds like a protein product... along with the sulfates it sounds a bit much. CON green label is a great shampoo to use. its moisturizing and gentle. elasta qp cream conditioning shampoo is really good too. but i think you should lay off the protein for a while and see what moisture does for you

A year ago, I was having the same issue as you with my hair being dry and damaged. That led me to but in a relaxer in disguise (forgot the name of product) which only cause my hair to break off more. Try using the Cherry Lola treatment which uses, yogurt, baking soda, and amino-acids to loosing up your curls and make them pop. I really can't tell you what to do about breakage because sadly, I am still dealing with that problem myself.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAafaJWWKUw

That picture of your hair reminds me a lot of my sister's hair, and it is thriving. We discovered a long time ago that the things my mom and I do to our hair simply won't work for her -- frequent cowashing, puffs, WNGs, things like that. I always say...it's a matter of finding what works for your hair and doing what it tells you, and not the other way around.

Her hair has grown to BSL from pure protective styling: her hair is always in braids or twists, save the 2 times since she went natural that she has gotten her hair straightened (both this year). She has a very simple regimen -- shampoo, DC overnight, detangle/moisturize, and braid/twist it up. Every two weeks she washes with diluted shampoo and slathers DC on the length of her hair, then rinses and adds some Cantu shea butter leave-in or Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1. Boom, growth. In the summertime, she wears two-strand twists...same regimen, but they are redone every 2-3 weeks. For the most part, we devote a day or two to her hair every 6-8 weeks, and she does maybe an hour of maintenance total the rest of the weeks. It's easy for the both of us, she looks cute, and she has gorgeous hair.

. CON green label is a great shampoo to use. its moisturizing and gentle. elasta qp cream conditioning shampoo is really good too. but i think you should lay off the protein for a while and see what moisture does for you

I remember not being down with the smell of the green CON when I first tried it, so I might try the elasta qp cream conditioning shampoo.

. Try using the Cherry Lola treatment which uses, yogurt, baking soda, and amino-acids to loosing up your curls and make them pop. I really can't tell you what to do about breakage because sadly, I am still dealing with that problem myself.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAafaJWWKUw
This looks yummy! I thought liquid amino acids would be a expensive, but there fairly cheap!

. She has a very simple regimen -- shampoo, DC overnight, detangle/moisturize, and braid/twist it up. Every two weeks she washes with diluted shampoo and slathers DC on the length of her hair, then rinses and adds some Cantu shea butter leave-in or Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1. Boom, growth. In the summertime, she wears two-strand twists...same regimen, but they are redone every 2-3 weeks. For the most part, we devote a day or two to her hair every 6-8 weeks, and she does maybe an hour of maintenance total the rest of the weeks. It's easy for the both of us, she looks cute, and she has gorgeous hair.

I checked out her album. Pretty hair!!!! Does she not seal with anything? Just the cantu or hawaiian silky is sufficient for moisture?

yes, thats enough protein to cause damage in my hair. i have very protein sensitive hair. i must do a moisturizing treatment after every protein treatment.

and i dont think your hair looks bad or damaged, it does look dry though, but daily moisturizing with a good moisturizer for YOUR HAIR can hand that.

Last edited:
Back