I had yarn braids in a little while ago and someone said that I looked like a Raggedy

Harina

Ann doll.

Would you be offended? I was hanging out with a female friend and two of her friends-a guy and a mexican-american girl. I'm not sure if she was born here or not. The mexican-american girl had mentioned something earlier in the day about long hair and how she was annoyed that guys liked it so much because it was always in her way. She was kind of being obnoxious about it. ****, then cut it off and shut up.

Then later while we were sitting down, she felt the random need to tell me that I looked like one. Everyone else was kind of quiet and a little bit like "wtf". I think she could tell she said something stupid, because she kind of corrected herself, saying "it's cute, with your freckles (aka fading hyperpigmented spots), and your hair." I don't get offended easily so I just kind of brushed it off and turned it into a "how bout we just offend everyone around the table" game. That was the end of that story, but the comment took me aback. I guess I understand why because of the hair of the doll, but that was a little much, no? And I'm pretty sure, Ann is caucasian.

Btw, this is a raggedy ann doll.

6emcz4.png

ETA: I just realized that Ann doesn't have any freckles. Don't think homegirl had any idea what she was talking about. She should have just said "your hair is different" because I'm pretty sure that's what she was going for.

Last edited:
Re: I had yarn braids in a little while ago and someone said that I looked like a Rag

IDK, I can't really say since I wasn't there and not the target. However, knowing me I probably would have brushed it off and thought about it later as you did. You handled the situation well. At least others in your group didn't encourage her behavior.

Re: I had yarn braids in a little while ago and someone said that I looked like a Rag

I dont get it. Not with you but with her..why would she say that?:look:
Was she trying to be rude on the low? Or funny? I just dont get her:spinning:

I would be offended and I think you handled it correctly. Knowing me, I probably would not talk to her again and would wait for her to ask me why so I could tell her that she offended me and that I don't want to associate with someone who doesn't have tact and manners.

Yes I would be offended because she was rude. She was also trying to be funny since she said that in the presence of others, but it backfired because the others didn't go along with it. Don't talk about me then try to correct it with a compliment as if that negates the original statement. Many times when people do this type of thing they are either jealous of you or they think they are superior in some way. She was leading into her foolishness when she was acting as if her long hair was such a hassle but she keeps it for the men, she is not annoyed about getting a man's attention, don't get it twisted. That was her intro to be rude to you.

Did you have a relationship with her where she felt she could say random inappropriate things to you? Either way you have to nip that in the bud to let her know to stay in her lane and not cross that line anymore.

If people think they can say anything to you and get away with it, they will.

ITA with Poopiedo. That was an insult that backfired. You handled it well though. What she said makes her sound insecure and stupid.

This is what I called the "backhanded compliment" aka the reason I don't have many female friends.

Was that comment really necessary? Really?????

No. She know she trifling.

My sister and mom made fun of me when I had yarn braids too. They said I look like a cabbage patch doll :nono:.

I think you handled the situation well. The comment is rude. Can't do much about that now though

IDK, I can't really say since I wasn't there and not the target. However, knowing me I probably would have brushed it off and thought about it later as you did. You handled the situation well. At least others in your group didn't encourage her behavior.

Yeah, I tend to take the "don't make a mountain out of a mole hill approach to life.

I dont get it. Not with you but with her..why would she say that?:look:
Was she trying to be rude on the low? Or funny? I just dont get her:spinning:

This happened like a month ago and I still don't quite understand. Probably trying to be rude on the down low. She's definitely one of those outspoken people who doesn't think before she speaks.

Thanks. Will check it out.

I would be offended and I think you handled it correctly. Knowing me, I probably would not talk to her again and would wait for her to ask me why so I could tell her that she offended me and that I don't want to associate with someone who doesn't have tact and manners.

Oh, we're not friends. So I probably won't talk to her outside of "hey."

Did you have a relationship with her where she felt she could say random inappropriate things to you? Either way you have to nip that in the bud to let her know to stay in her lane and not cross that line anymore.

If people think they can say anything to you and get away with it, they will.

:yep:. Very true. Our relationship won't be moving past acquaintance status. Not because of this just because she's always rubbed me the wrong way.

]

Last edited:

Rickrock, she was rude and sounds like she's not that bright. :ohwell:

What do yarn braids look like? Do they really look like yarn?

If one of my good friends said that to me jokingly, I wouldn't really mind...but it seems like you were annoyed by her from the start, so I can see why that would offend you. She sounds annoying...sorry you had to be around her. Smh.

If i was friends with the girl, fine i dont mind. But if i didnt know here, oh yea it woulda been on like donkey kong.. i woulda went off because you don't just tell people stuff like that. I commend your tact and the way you handled cuz bbaabbbyy she woulda hated me

Her talking about her long, annoying hair that all the boys love would have already had me giving her the side eye... and then, she calls you Raggedy Ann?! :nono: She probably thought she was cute and expected everyone to laugh..but they didn't. That's the only funny part about this story. FAIL.

Kudos for handling it so well. I probably would have just rolled my eyes and stuffed it so as not to make for an awkward evening. Your way's better. :)

Back