indian lady said "is that your hair"

so, i was in the salon the other day getting my hair done. i noticed that an indian lady who threads eyebrows there kept looking at my hair. then as my beautician started to blow dry my hair, the indian lady asked "is that your hair". i said "yes" she then said "no, i mean do u have extensions?" i looked at her like she stupid because i thought i just answered her question. so i said "no". then she says "thats all yours?" then i said "yes, it is all mine" with a smile. then she nodded as though she was surprised.

now, i must say that i was a little offended, but also flattered. obviously she thought my hair was so long that it had to be a weave since she sees girls in the salon all the time. i think she probably thought it was a weave because i am in desperate need of perm, so my hair was looking especially coarse. the funny thing is i still dont think of my hair as really long. not until i am 100% waist lenght, will i believe that is "really long". but, i will take whatever god gives me.

I wouldn't be offended. Within certain cultures they just have a very blunt, almost harsh way of asking questions or making comments. They don't necessarily mean any harm.

Her surprise may be a result of seeing a lot of black women with weaves. Truth be told a lot of black women do have weaves *shrug*
Unlike the white celebs a lot of black celebs (Star Jones n' company) make it a point to reference their weaves so people tend to assume that a black woman with a certain type of hair is wearing a weave or mixed. People go with what they see/hear and realistically speaking a black woman with thick, long hair is not a norm, yet. I'm just grateful more of us are learning to how to care for our hear and show that black women can grow long thick hair if we wish to.

As for her asking the same question twice. I've heard more than one woman describe her weave hair as "hers" because she bought it. Maybe the Indian woman wanted to clarify that it was yours.

Last edited:
Truth be told a lot of black women do have weaves *shrug*

Exactly....folks like to mention Britney and Paris but I know of maybe one white girl in real life that "wears" a weave 24/7 as opposed to adding a piece for prom or something.

Not that I wouldn't have been taken aback by the comment.

Last edited:
Exactly....folks like to mention Britney and Paris but I know of maybe one white girl in real life that "wears" a weave 24/7 as opposed to adding a piece for prom or something.

I went to school with a white girl like that. Her weave was terrible...long curly matted blonde tracks sown in with black thread. She only refreshed her weave every 3 months. Wore the same tracks for an entire semesters. It got so bad I had to stop sitting behind her in class, cuz all I was stare at the rat's next that she called hair.

I consider this just another milestone on the haircare journey. :yep: It means you're making progress. :congrats:

Well, when my hair gets to be long like the OP's and somebody ask me if its my hair, I might do the Sunsilk Hair commercial hair spin for them and that will say it all....:lachen:!!!

one of my co-workers asked me who does my hair, i told her i let a dominican woman do my wash and set, she then said no, who put the tracks in? i then told her i didn't have any tracks, this is all of my hair, after telling me she didn't believe me for a few minutes, she then asked me what was i mixed with (i'm dark-skinned) i told her nothing 100% black. but get this she's black also,lol. it was weird because after this whole conversation i don't think she still believed me completely. i guess to some people its such a shock for black women to have long healthy hair.

so, i was in the salon the other day getting my hair done. i noticed that an indian lady who threads eyebrows there kept looking at my hair. then as my beautician started to blow dry my hair, the indian lady asked "is that your hair". i said "yes" she then said "no, i mean do u have extensions?" i looked at her like she stupid because i thought i just answered her question. so i said "no". then she says "thats all yours?" then i said "yes, it is all mine" with a smile. then she nodded as though she was surprised.

now, i must say that i was a little offended, but also flattered. obviously she thought my hair was so long that it had to be a weave since she sees girls in the salon all the time. i think she probably thought it was a weave because i am in desperate need of perm, so my hair was looking especially coarse. the funny thing is i still dont think of my hair as really long. not until i am 100% waist lenght, will i believe that is "really long". but, i will take whatever god gives me.

Well I (emphasis on I) would have been offended as well, and flattered as well. IMO she was very rude for insisting, not just asking, but insisting over and over that you had a weave. I'm glad she knows the truth now tho. So now its time to be flattered, because of your hardwork and knowing that you've shown yet one more individual what we as AA's are capable of doing with our hair. :yep:

Well, when my hair gets to be long like the OP's and somebody ask me if its my hair, I might do the Sunsilk Hair commercial hair spin for them and that will say it all....:lachen:!!!

:lachen:For real! Is that the one that advertises that your hair will be 5X stronger and they tie her hair in a knot?

Awww man, if I could count the number of times I got that one:lachen::lachen:I swear 2 girls got into an argument about my hair. We were in Florida visiting family and we went inside to McDonalds before we got to the hotel. I could tell one of the girls was looking at my hair b/c she kept staring. So she finally got up the nerve to ask was it mine and I told her yeah. She goes back to tell the other girl that it was my hair (she & a few others had been staring too) and the girl tells her that's not my real hair. She says it was weave, she could tell by my roots. So they bicker back and forth about it, and the chick asks if she can touch my hair. I looked at her crazy and gave her the okay and she blurts out as loud as she could "see, I told you that was her hair!!" Me and my mom look at each other in disbelief. The girl who was hatin' rolls her eyes and says something smart (I couldn't hear what she said) and walks to the back. We didn't even order anything, we left and ended up going to Church's instead. That was one of the craziest experiences I had ever been through.

That is crazy, the haters in this world boy I tell ya'. I feel your pain, and my hair isn't even long IMO. I remember in high school girls would want to feel and touch in my hair because it was always shiny and bouncy and "long" (a little past shoulders then, nowhere near where it is now and I still think its short). I would get wig comments and things of that nature from older family members, it was just a mess and with time its only gotten worse.... D*mn shame. :lol:

That is crazy, the haters in this world boy I tell ya'. I feel your pain, and my hair isn't even long IMO. I remember in high school girls would want to feel and touch in my hair because it was always shiny and bouncy and "long" (a little past shoulders then, nowhere near where it is now and I still think its short). I would get wig comments and things of that nature from older family members, it was just a mess and with time its only gotten worse.... D*mn shame. :lol:
I agree, but I love it when people think my hair is fake. To me, it's a sweet form of flattery and it let's me know that my hair is bangin' :lachen:

I guess that was her way of complimenting your hair. Why couldn't she just have said, "oh your hair is really nice and long". Why do people always feel the need to ask AA women if it's all yours or if "you grew it from the roots?" I have never been so forward as to ask someone if they were wearing a weave. In the grand scheme of things, how does that impact my life?:ohwell: If their hair looks nice, it looks nice, end of.

Exactly. When I took my cornrows out (no extentions) and wore it straight. My supervisor (caucasian lady) said that it looked really nice, then she asked me if it was all of my own hair. Strange how u can wear cornrows that show the hair coming out of our scalp but she still had to ask. I didn't get annoyed, but I just think it IS a shame that a black woman with any kind of length MUST be rockin fake hair. Can't wait for all the Dec 07 APL'ers to graduate this year so we can keep stoppin em in their tracks!!! (haha no pun intended) :grin:

Why would anyone be surprised if someone asks a Black Female with long hair springing from her own scalp, "Is that your hair?" We've done it to ourselves. When we first came to this country, someone said our hair was ugly, undesirable, so cover it up. So, we got a scarf and did just that. Later on, we continued covering in presses, conks and then before we could really discover our natural texture, we were shown a new and improved way of conking or relaxing our wiry textures. Then low and behold, this time no one was around to tell us to hide our hair, we did it ourselves, under wigs, weaves and extensions. We, as in Black Women are Pros at it! We start 2 year olds in a phony pony as a right of passage! :grin:

Wigs, Weaves and Extensions have become synonymous with the Black Female. Koreans have built an empire off of our heads. It may be a fashion statement to some, but I intend on being the female that gets asked that question, so I can respond with a big grin..."No, it's the hair growing naturally out of my scalp!" ;) The scalp part is so that I won't be confused with those folks like Tyra Banks, who claim their naptuality, but then hide it continously.

Well I personally don't think its really that serious...honestly speaking, just look around you...how many AA females do you really see with BSL or longer hair THAT IS THEIR OWN swinging down their backs? I dunno, maybe its just me, but its understandable to get certain questions from people(regardless of race)...if you really hate the attention that much, then don't wear your hair down...its inevitable that people are gonna ask you if ur hair is real, because of the simple fact that you are AA, and it is a known fact that an extremely large number of AA women wear weaves...
I wouldnt be so offended about it...i get asked all the time, regardless of whether i'm wearing a weave or not (my weave is MBL, n my real hair is BSL)

But as far as cherokee's encounter w/ the two girls, i think that was pure hateration...

ETA: Even I get amazed when I see AA women with really long hair...i might not say anything, but i definitely do stare, n it has no type of negative feelings behind it.

Last edited:
I agree, but I love it when people think my hair is fake. To me, it's a sweet form of flattery and it let's me know that my hair is bangin' :lachen:

And that it is!!!!! (bolded) I was looking at your avatar and siggy like "man is that all her hair??" :lol: Just kidding had to throw that in there. :lachen:But your hair is full and gorgeous tho and I was staring in awe. :shocked: lol. I'm about to go and stare at it now, beautiful, just beautiful....

I guess it must be my surroundings because I see a lot of AA women with long hair...

And I still believe she was rude. I stare too, but I wouldn't dare ask anyone whether their hair was weave.

And that it is!!!!! (bolded) I was looking at your avatar and siggy like "man is that all her hair??" :lol: Just kidding had to throw that in there. :lachen:But your hair is full and gorgeous tho and I was staring in awe. :shocked: lol. I'm about to go and stare at it now, beautiful, just beautiful....

Awwwww...............thank you girlfriend!! I love the shine in your hair and your ends look soooo healthy!!!

Last edited:
I can understand where she is coming from... I think. :look: Indians tend to be very dark also and they have similar facial features. The one feature that really sets them apart from us is their hair. :look: That's right I said it! :p They stare at me all of the time, esp. when my hair is blown out. It gets so straight that sometimes they mistake me for one of them at first glance. :lol:

I also think that USUALLY weaves and braids look dirty and bad. Sometimes they look nice like when they look real and they are clean. :yep: I'm not against weaves b/c sometimes they look nice, but too many people are not doing it right. :down:

Plus, it's true MANY black women wear fake hair and they are quick to tell people that it is not theirs. :ohwell: If someone says (even people of other races) "ur hair looks nice", they'll say "this is a weave!" Sometimes they say it in an in your face sort of way as if to say that the person was ignorant for not knowing that black women get weaves. :(

Still, I hate it when I get asked stuff like that too. They never ask any of the other races and their weaves are usually more obvious looking than ours, but no on is looking for it. :ohwell:

some people just don't know how to talk to folks and are just plain rude!!

but OP your hair is staright up gorgeous girl!!!!

Your hair is beautiful! I love that length, can't wait to make it there.

As far as the Indian lady, I'd just take it as a compliment.

Ladies, when discussing your experiences with other races, please keep in mind that some of those races are represented on this board.

I wouldn't be offended. Within certain cultures they just have a very blunt, almost harsh way of asking questions or making comments. They don't necessarily mean any harm.

Her surprise may be a result of seeing a lot of black women with weaves. Truth be told a lot of black women do have weaves *shrug*
Unlike the white celebs a lot of black celebs (Star Jones n' company) made it a point to reference their weaves so people tend to assume that a black woman with a certain type of hair is wearing a weave or mixed. People go with what they see/hear and on realistically speaking a black woman with thick, long hair is not a norm, yet. I'm just grateful more of us are learning to how to care for our hear and show that black women can grow long thick hair if we wish to.

As for her asking the same question twice. I've heard more than one woman describe her weave hair as "hers" because she bought it. Maybe the Indian woman wanted to clarify that it was yours.
Thank god you're posting today and I basically just have to co-sign with you in relevant threads.
Ella is lazy today:grin:

Why would anyone be surprised if someone asks a Black Female with long hair springing from her own scalp, "Is that your hair?" We've done it to ourselves. When we first came to this country, someone said our hair was ugly, undesirable, so cover it up. So, we got a scarf and did just that. Later on, we continued covering in presses, conks and then before we could really discover our natural texture, we were shown a new and improved way of conking or relaxing our wiry textures. Then low and behold, this time no one was around to tell us to hide our hair, we did it ourselves, under wigs, weaves and extensions. We, as in Black Women are Pros at it! We start 2 year olds in a phony pony as a right of passage! :grin:

Wigs, Weaves and Extensions have become synonymous with the Black Female. Koreans have built an empire off of our heads. It may be a fashion statement to some, but I intend on being the female that gets asked that question, so I can respond with a big grin..."No, it's the hair growing naturally out of my scalp!" ;) The scalp part is so that I won't be confused with those folks like Tyra Banks, who claim their naptuality, but then hide it continously.

I like your straight up comment! bonjour

Back