I am highly annoyed. Does this happen to you?

NuMe2004 said:
I'm not dissing any mixed people on this board. If you're mixed, that's great. But why is it that so many of us feel that we have to be mixed to be attractive or have long hair?? I guess all these music videos promoting the more "exotic" looking women has really messed with our heads. I'm just wondering why we can't get love for being 100% African American.
Sorry this is so long. I just had to vent y'all.

I get the whole exotic thing too. It's like it's not good enough to be JUST Black anymore. Whatever... People are ignorant. I used to try and correct people but you can't change grown folks beliefs. I just tell them I'm all black, smile, and keep it moving.

Last edited:
I'm not light-skinned nor do I have long hair but I get those too. People want me to be from some island they've never heard of. :huh: Anyway, I just smilie and say "Hon, you're lookin' at black-on-black," or "black people are as varied as grains of sand on a beach" and change the subject.

Haven't read the whole thread cuz i just spent a long time reading Blossoms thread, but what annoys me most about these issues is that it implies that BLACK is the worst and to enhance the curse of balck other races make u better.

I find it really sad that people look upon the balck race as the ugliest, darkest nappiest thing and the only way it can be pretty or have long hair is if it is enhanced or diluted with white or spanish or asian. That to me, speaks volumes, and those of us who beleive it clearly have a problem with being 'black", what does being black mean? I do agree to an extent that we are all mixed, because if u trace ur family tree u will usually find that u have a mixed grandparent or other race all together. but if you do, does that mean u are prettier, have a better chance of having long hair? Are u prettier or 'better' becuase ur hair is apl or longer or silky instead of fuzzy?

It really saddens me that we still think this way. Not all of us, but to an extent we are all affected by this. Even if we are enlightened, because other people perceive us like this, its hard to accept ourselves. The joke is, a while ago i was trying to do some research on african tribes and there are darker skinned africans with types 2-4 hair and there are lighter skinned africans with hair types 2-4, with silky fine to coarse textures. So why do we and the rest of the world perceive pure black to only be short and very nappy (i hate the word nappy) haired people with very dark skin. There are so many types of black and more specifically african which is a WHOLE CONTINENT!Why does such a narrow and negative perception of black exist?

Kurlee said:
Haven't read the whole thread cuz i just spent a long time reading Blossoms thread, but what annoys me most about these issues is that it implies that BLACK is the worst and to enhance the curse of balck other races make u better.

I find it really sad that people look upon the balck race as the ugliest, darkest nappiest thing and the only way it can be pretty or have long hair is if it is enhanced or diluted with white or spanish or asian. That to me, speaks volumes, and those of us who beleive it clearly have a problem with being 'black", what does being black mean? I do agree to an extent that we are all mixed, because if u trace ur family tree u will usually find that u have a mixed grandparent or other race all together. but if you do, does that mean u are prettier, have a better chance of having long hair? Are u prettier or 'better' becuase ur hair is apl or longer or silky instead of fuzzy?

It really saddens me that we still think this way. Not all of us, but to an extent we are all affected by this. Even if we are enlightened, because other people perceive us like this, its hard to accept ourselves. The joke is, a while ago i was trying to do some research on african tribes and there are darker skinned africans with types 2-4 hair and there are lighter skinned africans with hair types 2-4, with silky fine to coarse textures. So why do we and the rest of the world perceive pure black to only be short and very nappy (i hate the word nappy) haired people with very dark skin. There are so many types of black and more specifically african which is a WHOLE CONTINENT!Why does such a narrow and negative perception of black exist?

Because the people in power love the fact that they can portray a group of people as one thing and keep the majority ignorant. And I mean the majority as also people of the African group are even ignorant of this. After, Africa was the craddle of man kind. I know this is beginnig to sound clicheish but it is true. I've read that there is more diversity within Africa than if you were to compare all the continents around the world.

caramelle said:
Me too girl,...I'm very light skin with long ass wavy hair and people always thinking I'm mixed.
Whats up with that, why I gotta be mixed? Pisses me off!
:D

are you serious? well if you look mixed...

NuMe2004 said:
I find it very upsetting that people still think that you have to be mixed to have long hair. Does anyone question your blackness just because you have luscious locs?

I just came back from visiting a new stylist today, and she kept commenting on how thick and nice my hair is. She was telling me about all the mixed people in her family, and then asked me what I was mixed with. I said, "Black and black." She was then like, "No way, you must have some other blood in you, like Indian." Now, my great great grandparents were native American, but I'm still black. I think it's been proven many times, esp. on this board, that we too can have long, luscious hair if we simply take care of it.

A similar situation happened to me not too long ago. I was at a party and was introduced to some people. One of the ladies I met said, "You're so cute. Are you mixed with anything?" So, I have to be mixed to be cute????!!!

I'm not dissing any mixed people on this board. If you're mixed, that's great. But why is it that so many of us feel that we have to be mixed to be attractive or have long hair?? I guess all these music videos promoting the more "exotic" looking women has really messed with our heads. I'm just wondering why we can't get love for being 100% African American.

Sorry this is so long. I just had to vent y'all.

That's wild...yea...I think just about everyone has got indian somewhere...my great grandmother was, but that makes me like what 1/8 indian? I mean what's that gonna do. My stuff is 4a/b all the way.

Chayil

Back