I Am Going to Cry :[

Skydancer

As some of you know, I've been in the deserts of Cameroon for a few months now (http://bellaelavita.blogspot.com/). It has been quite an adventure. Difficult and exhausting and wonderful and bewildering. At first, I was alarmed that the Peace Corps medical book had an entire section on hair loss. Apparently, the majority of volunteers in Africa experience severe hair loss. But, my hair had been bumping prior to coming here. It was pretty healthy and strong and I was finally seeing length.

For the last 3 months or so, my hair has been falling out uncontrollably :[ And I feel so stupid for being upset about it, cuz I'm here to do more important things. But I admit it, I am sad :[ I do not know what to do. And there is definitely a severe lack of haircare products in northern Cameroon. I cannot even find castor oil up here (though my Mommy is going to mail me some. God bless her heart:[ I hope that it helps).

I do not have running water at my post, so washing is also difficult. Usually I only wash it when I am "in town," like I am now. There is henna here, but I am skeptical to try it, because I do not know about the quality and the rinsing makes me nervous because the water here is very hard. I am grateful that I do not have any mirrors in my house. Feeling how thin my hair is makes me want to cry... if I could see how thin it was too... I think that would be the end of me:] Any help, prayers, and potions would be wonderful:]

Nice site!
What do you believe is the cause of your hair loss?

If it's your current diet, perhaps a multi-vitamin may help.
If it is due to lack of moisture, perhaps filling up a spray bottle with water (if possible carbonated water) and spraying it onto your hair and then sealing it with the castor oil would help. Awww everything will be alright!

Edited to ask: Are you wearing your hair in any protective styles? May bunning may help

Last edited:
Please stay away from the henna. Just keep your hair in cornrows. Also see if they have palm nut oil. You can use that on your hair.

Also......How about getting your mum to send you a herbal scalp cleanse - so at least you can keep your scalp clean - ORS do one.

Or a dry shampoo called Batiste
703878470059_IMAGE2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with the post about taking the vitamins. It probably has a lot to do with the drastic change in diet. I commend your efforts in the Peace Corps. Just remember that the hair will grow back and try not to cry.
((((hugs))))

zora said:
Please stay away from the henna. Just keep your hair in cornrows. Also see if they have palm nut oil. You can use that on your hair.

I agree with that plus you may find pure shea too over there it will moisturize and seal your hair because it's a butter! There are "peuls" or Mbororo" women where you are (they are sheppherd of cows) they use it to have the most beautiful hair I ever see, may be you can ask them the shea and others hair tips!

Last edited:
Hello Skydancer,

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem. But reading about it reminded me of something I had read on the internet about a woman from India who was experiencing hair loss, and they thought it was due to intestinal parasites/worms. You mentioned that the Peace Corps has a lot of information on people loosing their hair when they travel to Africa. I think this could be a possible reason why. You can get parasites in many ways: water, food, person to person contact etc.

Please don't take offense at my suggestion that this could be the cause--I know no one wants to think they have a parasite. I had this condition once when I was around 8yrs old, and living in Nigeria.

Here are two links to websites with information on it. I believe they also have links to sites with rememdies. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

http://healing.about.com/cs/uc_directory/a/uc_parasites_2.htm

http://www.herbalhealer.com/parasites.html

I agree with the other post, it could be a lot of things. When I was about 14 yrs old, I move to another city. It was very arid there and the roads were covered with a red dust, the results of digging for the mineral, bauxite.
My hair suffered terribly. It started breaking and was really brittle even though I would wear it in a bun 95% of the time. Thank God I was only there for a year because my hair only improved after I left there.
Could it possible be the dust? Do you know what minerals the soil could possess? Maybe you can keep your hair covered to protect it.

I don't have any real advice, I just wanted to say that you shouldn't feel guilty about being sad over your hair. Doing higher work for the good of others doesn't mean you shouldn't care about yourself.

Also, I don't know if these exist but, maybe you could search the internet for water softener tablets (or a water filter--like a brita container) to make the water less hard.

Either way ((((HUGS))))! :)

I'm sorry about this. Don't feel sorry for being sad. You probably worked so hard on your hair and losing progress will make anyone upset. The ladies here have given great advice. Give us updates and let us know how it is going. I hope all is safe and well in Cameroon.

I admire those like you who join the Peace Corps (and other like organizations helping others). However, nothing in your life is more important than you are and your hair is a part of you.

Sounds like you really need some moisture. I like the spray bottle idea Tinkabelle mentioned.

What are the native women of your area doing with their hair? They may have some great tips for you. The castor oil will be a major lifesaver but you still need moisture, that includes drinking all your water too. I agree with Zora about staying away from the henna, at least for now. You don't have enough running water to rinse it out anyway.

What is your diet like?

I am so sorry to hear about this. I really admire what you are doing. Don't feel bad, your hair is part of you and I'm sure you spent time growing it. I really don't have any advice because I've never experienced it. Do you have access to bottled water or can you get someone to send you some, maybe you can use this for washing? I have a friend who used to wash her hair with bottled water when she was experiencing hard water.

Thanks, ladies! Yoou guys got me all weepy-eyed:D They think we volunteers are crazy, because we are always laughing/and or crying whenever we're checking our mail and stuff in the internet cafes:] And we're a pretty tough group, but this is an intense experience:D

I appreciate all of the suggestions and thoughts very much. I am religiously taking a multi-vitamin. My diet is awful, and there is not too much i can do about it because my village is so remote. The PCMOs (Peace Corps Medical Officers) warned us about this, and they just say to take those vitamins and eat well whenever we come into our respective provincial capitals. Which means I eat well 2 or 3 weekends out of each month :D I do drink a lot of water in my village though. It's bottled water (very expensive:|... this is where most of my salary goes) that they ship in from the city just for me, cuz everyone else drinks the well water, but my stomach can't handle that junk. Believe me... I've tried... was not a good week :D

The thing with using oils is that, it is so freakin hot here. I literally walk outside and just start to sweat... and to have a sweaty head... with the oils... and the dust storms I have to walk through every day... and only be able to wash my hair 2 or 3 times a month... not something to look forward to:] I have been using a little spray bottle of water and following it with just a bit of cottonseed oil, but it dries up REALLY quickly... and it's nasty cuz the dust gets all caked up in it :/ I was excited about the shea butter too! There was so much of it in the south, in Yaounde... but up north... no one knows what I am talking about when i ask about it... Or maybe my French is just really bad :D As for the women in my village... they ask me why my hair is so long and thick! Which i would have taken as a compliment a few months ago.... but now it horrifies me:] Most of them have very dry, brittle, thin hair.

I know that it is probably a combination of things. The climate, the food, the malaria prophylaxis, the water, the emotional price of being here. I don't doubt the parasites thing for one second:D They tell us that if all you get as a volunteer in Africa are a few worms... then you've been very lucky:] I am thinking of doing the Master Cleanse during our next training in April. A lot of the people in my group have simply cut their hair or shaved their heads to spare them the anguish of watching it fall out :D But I am not at that point yet:]

I think I am rambling now, and I am still not sure what to do, but thanks for listening:] Is that dry shampoo stuff efficient? Maybe I will ask my Mom to get me some of that. Or anyone know of a good herbal scalp rinse? I've never tried one before.

Your feelings about your hair are entirely normal and you shouldn't feel ashamed. Try covering your hair with a bandanna or headwraps in the meantime. They might actually help to keep your head cool by protecting it from direct sun.

Also bravo for all the good work you're doing in Cameroon. :clapping:

Last edited:
you need a scarf or a broadrimmed straw hat to protect your head. i'm thinking a scarf would be easier to take around with you as you can just ball it up in a pocket when not needed. but a straw hat is light weight and will allow air to reach your hair and scalp. can your mom send you a bandana, scarf (even muslim style) or straw hat? fabrics should be something breathable and lightweight like silk.

also, have you considered braiding up your hair? not sure how you're wearing your hair now. box braids, cornrows and twists come immediately to mind. your hair will still get the daily dirt but at least you won't have to fool with it after it's done and a scarf or hat will protect from dust and dirt. if you happen to run across any extra water, you can rinse them off without having to manipulate your hair.

you can also redo them as needed and use your hands to pull out shed hair (sounds weird but works).

that's all i can think of atm - hope there's an idea there you can use.

LynnieB said:
you need a scarf or a broadrimmed straw hat to protect your head. i'm thinking a scarf would be easier to take around with you as you can just ball it up in a pocket when not needed. but a straw hat is light weight and will allow air to reach your hair and scalp. can your mom send you a bandana, scarf (even muslim style) or straw hat? fabrics should be something breathable and lightweight like silk.

also, have you considered braiding up your hair? not sure how you're wearing your hair now. box braids, cornrows and twists come immediately to mind. your hair will still get the daily dirt but at least you won't have to fool with it after it's done and a scarf or hat will protect from dust and dirt. if you happen to run across any extra water, you can rinse them off without having to manipulate your hair.

you can also redo them as needed and use your hands to pull out shed hair (sounds weird but works).

that's all i can think of atm - hope there's an idea there you can use.

SKY, that's exactly what I was thinking! Braid your hair and please, keep it covered. I hate to think a great humanitarian as yourself is suffering hair trauma. You go, Girl:p :p :p :p .

Hi,

Don't feel sorry for being sad. Atleast you're there doing good work...I would stay away from any process that may be too harsh for your hair. If the weather is dry there, I agree with some of the ladies who say moisturize. Do you have any S-curl? When I went Ghana, that is all I put in my hair and sealed it with oil. The air is so dry and the sun just beats on your head (and I wore a hat everyday). I looked like a little grease ball, but my hair thanked me for it with little damage.

Hope this helps.

ITA with what a lot of ladies have said, put your hair in some cornrows/ plaits and forget about it. If you can, wash when you get into town at the weekends and just spray with water everyday. If you're in an arid desert area like some parts of northern nigeria the dust and heat of the sun may be getting to your hair so i would cornrow and where a scarf/ bandanna... Good luck with things you're doing a great thing (think of all the stories to the grandkids:D )

Maybe you could cover your hair (cornrows) with a scarf or something? Protecting it from the heat and dust would offer added protection. HTH.

Girl, if you need me to send you some scarves I will!! :grin: :grin:
seriously.

Hang in there. Our thoughts are with you. The ladies have offered some wonderful tips here. You know you can always come to LHCF for love! No guilt over hair love here!! We are all in the same boat!

I agree that you should braid up your hair. I really admire you for your Peace Corps work. It's something I would like to do in the future.

Back