I almost lost ALLL my curl!

Just wondering, would a clear henna have this same effect with no color deposit?

Cassia, you mean? I don't know - from what I've heard, I don't think cassia has the same level of 'weighing down/loosening' that henna does.

I don't see it causing any harm though - you should try it, and see. ;)

Creolesugarface, did you use henna too? If so, how did it work?

Aggie...can't wait to hear your results!!

Keeping this bumped..

cj

I didn't use henna because the only thing I have w/ henna in it is my Global Goddess coconut amla oil.

I would've if I already had some, though! I don't know for sure, but I doubt that there are any Indian grocers in this area. :(

I usually buy stuff online.

Does the henna from FNWL have instructions on application?

I'm too lazy to read that huge henna thread on what I should do to try henna :look:....I just wanna henna my hair black and be done with it...

Are there alot of steps?

I'm too lazy to read that huge henna thread on what I should do to try henna :look:....I just wanna henna my hair black and be done with it...

Are there alot of steps?

ETA: Oh, wait, crap, I just noticed you said you want to henna your hair BLACK. Um, henna is red. Full stop. If you want to go black, you have to mix henna & indigo, and I've never done that - so I'm not the best one for instructions. I think sareca does hendigo, though, and she gets gorgeous results.

The following is still valid for straight henna, though. :lol:

:lol: Nah, FNWL doesn't send instructions. Henna is easy, though. These are my usual steps:

You've got a lot of hair, so let's say use 1/2 cup of henna. Put it into a ceramic bowl, or a bowl you don't care about getting stained.

Add about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of warm water - just enough to make a really, really, really thick mud.

Let it set for - oh, about an hour. This time is so that the color can release - the henna will turn a darker shade of green.

Mix in a lot of cheap conditioner - I would add about a cup of conditioner to that amount of henna paste - maybe a little more. This cuts down on the dryness, and makes it a LOT easier to apply and rinse out.

Apply to hair (I'm a fan of the smoosh it all in method of application), and let it sit for as long as you can stand it - I usually go overnight.

Rinse out, and DC.

I actually have a pictorial on my blog - work blocks access to it, but if you go to my blog, and click on the 'pictorial' tag, there are only two there - one for the Caramel Treatment, and one for Henna. I show a nice way to wrap your head afterwards, to help control any dripping, too.

^^^JustKiya....thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I seriously need to cover up these greys that are coming in :look: :ohwell:

So now I just need to figure out how much indigo to add in so that it makes my hair black and not red, right...? :look:

Are there alot of steps?

Check out these links zz:

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/BAQ_Henna_Recipe.htm

http://www.mehndiskinart.com/indigo_hair_recipe.htm

They are very useful and eliminates theh headache of going through so many posts.

You can also get some ideas on www.hennaforhair.com.

Creolesugarface, did you use henna too? If so, how did it work?

Aggie...can't wait to hear your results!!

Keeping this bumped..

cj

Oooh chil' Christi, I can't wait myself. I already put my recipe togther and I believe I will be trying it on Sunday but if I have time tomorrow, I will make it and sleep in it tomorrow night and wash out Sunday morning. I'll see.

JustKiya, thanks again for posting this thread.

Oooh chil' Christi, I can't wait myself. I already put my recipe togther and I believe I will be trying it on Sunday but if I have time tomorrow, I will make it and sleep in it tomorrow night and wash out Sunday morning. I'll see.

JustKiya, thanks again for posting this thread.

:lol: You are most welcome - it's so funny, because it's so OLD. :lachen: Tis cool to see new people trying it though - there wasn't much interest in it, initially.

I put a henna in my 9 year old niece's hair a couple of times with no problem. She has super fine 4b hair.

ETA: I should have quoted this was in reference to the question about using it on kids.

I really like this particular regimen because it's natural. I have no issue with anyone using chemicals because I used to use them to straighten, but I don't want to use relaxers anymore if I can avoid them. I think I can, I think I can...

Aggie, if you don't post pics after you're done, I'm gonna come git you!! :hammer::hammer:

I can't buy anything right now because I promised...I have to watch others' results and then jump on in a bit. For now, it's me and my trusty cootchie and horse creams (MN and MT). :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Kiya, I know the thread is old, but some things (like all Prince music) are ahead of their time. lol:grin:

Somekinda hair growing to us all!!!

christi

I really like this particular regimen because it's natural. I have no issue with anyone using chemicals because I used to use them to straighten, but I don't want to use relaxers anymore if I can avoid them. I think I can, I think I can...

Aggie, if you don't post pics after you're done, I'm gonna come git you!! :hammer::hammer:

I can't buy anything right now because I promised...I have to watch others' results and then jump on in a bit. For now, it's me and my trusty cootchie and horse creams (MN and MT). :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Kiya, I know the thread is old, but some things (like all Prince music) are ahead of their time. lol:grin:

Somekinda hair growing to us all!!!

christi

Girl Christi, I just did my henna treatment lat night and washed it out this morning. I must say that it was easier to comb but as for how much stretch I actually got, I coulnd't say. Of course I think it gets better with repeated use so I will try it again my next henna session as well which I think I will do in about 2 weeks or so.

Oh, I will try to remember to take pics after I wash my DC out today though so that I can have something to compare it to after my second time trying this recipe out. I will need 2 cans of coconut milk next time too.

I heated up the coconut milk, added the lime, whisk it in, then added the whole thing to the henna and other powders. I don't think I had enough coconut milk because I had to add water to it. Was this okay JustKiya? Did I do this right? Was heating up the coconut milk first, okay?

Girl Christi, I just did my henna treatment lat night and washed it out this morning. I must say that it was easier to comb but as for how much stretch I actually got, I coulnd't say. Of course I think it gets better with repeated use so I will try it again my next henna session as well which I think I will do in about 2 weeks or so.

Oh, I will try to remember to take pics after I wash my DC out today though so that I can have something to compare it to after my second time trying this recipe out. I will need 2 cans of coconut milk next time too.

I heated up the coconut milk, added the lime, whisk it in, then added the whole thing to the henna and other powders. I don't think I had enough coconut milk because I had to add water to it. Was this okay JustKiya? Did I do this right? Was heating up the coconut milk first, okay?

I know the recipe for the coconut and limes calls for the thick, milky part of the coconut milk to be mixed with the lime juice and left in the refrigerator over night.

That's what I intend to do, and then add that to my henna mixture.

I know the recipe for the coconut and limes calls for the thick, milky part of the coconut milk to be mixed with the lime juice and left in the refrigerator over night.

Now see I didn't know this. Thanks for posting this.

I just tried this though I was kinda reluctant b/c (if you read in another thread) me and the henna do not get along so well. But I had seen the coconut treatment for softer moisturized hair in a fotki and wanted to try it. I'm still d/cing right now but I can tell you the results so far (will post pics if I can find my camera) the hair is softer and smoother my relaxed ends seem happier and no henna dryness (yea!). No as for the stretched out curl, well not so much, maybe a little but I'm at the point in my transition that it is kinda hard for me to tell. I know I will do the coconut milk as a pre - poo with heat again ( didn't use heat this time) but I'm still on the fence about the henna.

GEEZ! Where was this thread when I did my first henna today?! I used the Godrej Nupur 100% Mehendi but I don't think I used enough (25g packet). That henna thread is a MONSTER so thanks JustKiya for posting some simple directions. I'll have to modify them though since I have a TWA. Does anyone know if it would be safe for me to try and henna again next weekend? Has anyone used the brand that I posted?

Yeah, I did that, Aggie. Mixed the lime & coconut, mixed the henna and water, let the color release in the henna, then added the lime & coconut to it. I made the henna a REALLLLY thick paste so that the l&c wouldn't water it down too much.

GEEZ! Where was this thread when I did my first henna today?! I used the Godrej Nupur 100% Mehendi but I don't think I used enough (25g packet). That henna thread is a MONSTER so thanks JustKiya for posting some simple directions. I'll have to modify them though since I have a TWA. Does anyone know if it would be safe for me to try and henna again next weekend? Has anyone used the brand that I posted?

When I first started henna'ing, I henna'd every week. Keep a close eye on your hair though, as henna can build up (the same stuff that makes it stronger/looser/shinier) and it'll start breaking. :yep:

What can cause the breakage? Should one stop henna'ing when that happens or just focus on the protein-moisture balance?

What can cause the breakage? Should one stop henna'ing when that happens or just focus on the protein-moisture balance?

I stopped, to give the henna build-up a chance to wear off, and increased my DC'ing, too. :yep: Or, not really stopped, but spread it out - once every 4 weeks instead of every week.

Is there something else that I can use other than coconut milk? I'm allergic to it and don't want to do the itchy thing again like the egg treatment

Yeah, I did that, Aggie. Mixed the lime & coconut, mixed the henna and water, let the color release in the henna, then added the lime & coconut to it. I made the henna a REALLLLY thick paste so that the l&c wouldn't water it down too much.
:yep:

Thanks JK. I didn't let the henna release first, I threw everything in there all together. I will do it your way next time I henna.

Okay, I'm sitting with this concoction on my head now.

I mixed everything last night. The coconut-lime mixture was so thick this morning, I had to 'temper' it like you do egg yolks..lol...I added a little bit of my henna to the coconut mixture in order to stir it and soften it up and then added all to my henna mixture. It made my henna mixture extremely creamy and smooth.

And I applied the henna/coconut mixture as I normally do, leaning over the tub because it's so messy. That way, I can just rinse the access drips down the drain and not worry about it staining anything.

So, we shall see how this turns out this evening.

Well, let's see if it's third time lucky for me.

Henna didn't loosen my hair.
Coconut milk and lime juice didn't loosen my hair.

But maybe henna + coconut milk + lime juice will.
It would be great if it worked because right now I'm looking for strengthening too.

I might try sour cream instead of coconut milk, a la little gold lamb, as well.

Back