I almost lost ALLL my curl!

Dannnnnng - is it bump old threads week round here???

:lol:

It's temporary, definitely, as I have all of my curl back right now. Hrrrm. I should try this next time I henna, actually. Might be fun.

Dannnnnng - is it bump old threads week round here???

:lol:

It's temporary, definitely, as I have all of my curl back right now. Hrrrm. I should try this next time I henna, actually. Might be fun.

When I saw the date on the first post I was like "Well then, we know it's temporary" :grin:

I've never used Henna before. Maybe I will try a weaker formulation to reduce shrinkage a bit and try some new styles.

Goodness...you can tell I have been here under a year. Almost everything I read is new to me. I didn't even look at the date....

Bumping again anyway...good for newbies...:grin:

cj

This would be a better alternative to that BKT stuff. People's experience with BKT seems like they are in a nuclear aftermath with chemical fumes and such. Not that I would try either though. I love my little curlies.

This would be a better alternative to that BKT stuff. People's experience with BKT seems like they are in a nuclear aftermath with chemical fumes and such. Not that I would try either though. I love my little curlies.

But this is very temporary. I can't remember how long it lasted, but if it lasted through a good three-four co-washes (and back then, I think I was cowashing on the regular, so maybe two weeks?) it would be a surprise to me.
That's the biggest 'perk' I think, of the BKT - it's semi-perm/semi-temporary, whatever you wanna call it. It's definitely longer term than this is. :yep:

But this is very temporary. I can't remember how long it lasted, but if it lasted through a good three-four co-washes (and back then, I think I was cowashing on the regular, so maybe two weeks?) it would be a surprise to me.
That's the biggest 'perk' I think, of the BKT - it's semi-perm/semi-temporary, whatever you wanna call it. It's definitely longer term than this is. :yep:

Have you used BKT, Kiya? (Why do I always wanna call it BTK after that serial killer??? :wallbash:) I am kinda scared of the formaldehyde for right now...

Using something like this and having it last from one wash to the next would be worth the effort I think. 2 weeks is great if all you have to do is condition it into your hair...my twistouts would be the bomb!!

cj

Have you used BKT, Kiya? (Why do I always wanna call it BTK after that serial killer??? :wallbash:) I am kinda scared of the formaldehyde for right now...

Using something like this and having it last from one wash to the next would be worth the effort I think. 2 weeks is great if all you have to do is condition it into your hair...my twistouts would be the bomb!!

cj

Nah, nah, sis, and not really interested. My previous experiences (when I was relaxed/back in the day) with heat were NOT good - even taking into account the ignorance around hair care. I was lightweight intrigued until I got to the 4 passes with a 450 flat iron. :nono: And, on the real, I don't really want straight hair - maybe in a couple of years, I'll wanna swang some loose hair - but I'd be more likely to go to the Dominicans, so that I can wash my curl right back in. The thought of being forced to have semi-straight hair for three months gives me mental hives. :lol:

...hey Ladies,
is henna safe for the "young ones". My DD 11 has a relaxer (I'm praying this is a phase--but I had one at her age too.) Now DD(7 tomorrow!) is begging for one.:nono::nono:

...umm...no.

But I do sympathize with her, because she has some strong 4B like me, and while I don't mind the patience involved in caring for it--SHE'D RATHER BE PLAYING. :lachen::lachen:

...hey Ladies,
is henna safe for the "young ones". My DD 11 has a relaxer (I'm praying this is a phase--but I had one at her age too.) Now DD(7 tomorrow!) is begging for one.:nono::nono:

...umm...no.

But I do sympathize with her, because she has some strong 4B like me, and while I don't mind the patience involved in caring for it--SHE'D RATHER BE PLAYING. :lachen::lachen:

Henna is safe for the wee ones. :yep:

I have lime juice at home, but I think it has sugar and additives and stuff in it :perplexed. I've been having that relaxer itch :look::wallbash: But I definately wanna wait to consider it when my hair is at LEAST at BSL (stretched) before I even THINK of doing such a thing, so this Henna/Coconut Milk/Lime mix might just be what scratches that itch.

I remember reading in the Kids section about a woman using Coconut Milk/Coconut Cream/Yogurt to also straighten hair, if anyone is concerned about the drying effect of the Lime Juice, I wonder if mixing THAT in henna would work as well.. Hmm *ponders* I always love your posts Kiya! ^_^ So innovative and eye-opening!

Nah, nah, sis, and not really interested. My previous experiences (when I was relaxed/back in the day) with heat were NOT good - even taking into account the ignorance around hair care. I was lightweight intrigued until I got to the 4 passes with a 450 flat iron. :nono: And, on the real, I don't really want straight hair - maybe in a couple of years, I'll wanna swang some loose hair - but I'd be more likely to go to the Dominicans, so that I can wash my curl right back in. The thought of being forced to have semi-straight hair for three months gives me mental hives. :lol:

I am with you. I am scared of BKT at the moment. I know it works for others, but the heat scares me.

Changing topics back to your original post: I figured that your mix that you mentioned in this original post would be well worth the trouble if the mild straightening effects lasted for about a week or at least until the next wash...however often people might wash/cowash their hair. That's what I was trying to ask...does it last at least a week?

I'm a heat chicken and happily so for right now...

cj

Now I'm even more afraid of henna! :lachen:

Thank you for posting, however.:yep:

I can see this being helpful a couple feet of afro from now. :lachen:

I pray your puff rebounds!

I am with you. I am scared of BKT at the moment. I know it works for others, but the heat scares me.

Changing topics back to your original post: I figured that your mix that you mentioned in this original post would be well worth the trouble if the mild straightening effects lasted for about a week or at least until the next wash...however often people might wash/cowash their hair. That's what I was trying to ask...does it last at least a week?

I'm a heat chicken and happily so for right now...

cj

I honestly cannot remember. I wouldn't have been wearing it out - and....... I don't remember, now.
I would think, though, if you didn't cowash - it would. I think.

I have lime juice at home, but I think it has sugar and additives and stuff in it :perplexed. I've been having that relaxer itch :look::wallbash: But I definately wanna wait to consider it when my hair is at LEAST at BSL (stretched) before I even THINK of doing such a thing, so this Henna/Coconut Milk/Lime mix might just be what scratches that itch.

I remember reading in the Kids section about a woman using Coconut Milk/Coconut Cream/Yogurt to also straighten hair, if anyone is concerned about the drying effect of the Lime Juice, I wonder if mixing THAT in henna would work as well.. Hmm *ponders* I always love your posts Kiya! ^_^ So innovative and eye-opening!

I've been scratching that 'itch' for about 2 months now.

I know deep down I don't want to relax again, but this damn shrinkage and poofiness...especially in the summer.

Anyway, I henna often, but have never done this combo before. I usually use yogurt, olive oil and ACV.

But I think I'll try this recipe, coconut milk and lime juice this week.

I've been scratching that 'itch' for about 2 months now.

I know deep down I don't want to relax again, but this damn shrinkage and poofiness...especially in the summer.

Anyway, I henna often, but have never done this combo before. I usually use yogurt, olive oil and ACV.

But I think I'll try this recipe, coconut milk and lime juice this week.

Do take some before & afters, if you can! :yep:

this is a really nice thread! might consider this for streching my texlaxing... or maybe even get rid of the texlaxing and leave the creamy crack alone for once!

thx a lot the info ladies!

Kiya,
Did you let your henna + water mix color release prior to adding the coconut milk and lime? Please clarify. Thanks!!!

Yes, I would have. :yep:

I have a question too...

Did you mix the coconut and lime like it calls in the 'straighten hair the natural way' recipe and then add it to the henna (dye released) mixture, or did you just add the coconut milk and lime in separately?

Thanks!!!!!

I have a question too...

Did you mix the coconut and lime like it calls in the 'straighten hair the natural way' recipe and then add it to the henna (dye released) mixture, or did you just add the coconut milk and lime in separately?

Thanks!!!!!

I believe that I mixed the lime & coconut like the recipe states. :yep:

I will henna'ing my hair this coming Sunday, so I'll definitely give this one a try. I still have some FNWL henna that I'll use. I also have some coconut milk and limes handy so this should be easy for me. Thanks JK for the recipe.

Back