Hype Hair and Black Hair Magazine are both Guilty of Fraud..

hottopic

The hair magazines are starting to get on my last nerves. 1st they do not tell you how to achieve a certain style. Then they lie and tell you all you need is a flat iron and a certain product, when you know home girl got weave in her hair. Like Beyonce, duhhhh lace front wig….Mary J. weave, love her but I know I not going to the get her platinum blond extremely silky , lose curls, bouncy hair, by using a dang curling iron and silk products. Show me what hair she bought dang it.. Show me how they have it braided underneath so I can follow the pattern. Show me…….Hype Hair and Black Hair Magazines are both guilty of hair fraud. Sorry I had to vent.

Last edited:
When I first bought a hair magazine, I bought both Hype hair and Black Sophisticated hair magazine. I realized that they only featured weaves in Hype hair so I decided to not repurchase it. I only support Black Sophisticated Hair magazine and even sometimes they deny that the person is wearing a weave but most times they do state that the person is actually wearing a weave, ect so they I give them credit for that.

I buy it for pictures. I realized LONG ago that most of those styles were weaves. And that everythign could not be done on everybodys head. I also like to read the advice columns.

beyondcute said:
I buy it for pictures. I realized LONG ago that most of those styles were weaves. And that everythign could not be done on everybodys head. I also like to read the advice columns.

same here.

I figured that out years ago. It's a shame you can't get an honest black hair magazine!! That's why I am sticking to hair forums.

Yeah...stopped buying them b/c of those crazy black and white stick figures they used as illustrations on how to achieve that style...never worked. Now if they posted like the lady did for shingling w/ the Curly Pudding...then we could talk!!

I like to see the pictures of styles, but I hate that they don't keep it real.

The BEST BEST BEST black hair magazine that I own is Black Beauty and Hair. I bought it while visiting England. It kept it real all the way about weaves and hair pieces that were pictured in the styles.

I wish that I could find it here in the States!

classimami713 said:
That's why I haven't looked in a hair mag in years. I like seeing the real deal here on LHCF :D
I agree w/ Classi....onon lHCF you see the REAL results, and a few members will even pictorially (is that a word?) walk you thru it!!

Hence the reason I have not purchased a hair magazine since high school.

LHCF is the BEST magazine out there...great advice, photos, progress updates, and almost instant responses to hair questions & concerns. The mgas have NOTHING on LHCF...and a subscription is only $5 a year! :lol:

i find these magazines useful when i am getting a weave because i know the styles i want can be acheived with weave. I think the thing that really gets on my nerves is that month after month they use the exact same styles but they just put them in a different order in the magazine.

i agree with you 100% on this! i hate those magazines because they never give you good detailed examples of how to achieve the styles in the magazine. Then, as you pointed out, they act like, you too can have beyonce's long flowing locks or kelly's thick waves with the help of some setting lotion and a large barreled curling iron. if it were that easy, it wouldn't take 3 hours in the salon. i'm not a fan. i only buy it (which is rare, if ever) if i see a style i want my stylist to duplicate or something like that. i'll thumb thru them, but that's it.

Divine Inspiration said:
Hence the reason I have not purchased a hair magazine since high school.

LHCF is the BEST magazine out there...great advice, photos, progress updates, and almost instant responses to hair questions & concerns. The mgas have NOTHING on LHCF...and a subscription is only $5 a year! :lol:
And the congregation said...AMEN!

beyondcute said:

Ditto. :yep:

When they first came out they were really helpful. After the first couple of years I would only buy Sophisticate's every 6-12 months because the pics repeated so much. Now I only get it if I see something really useful in the natural section, which was only once in the past year and maybe 3x in the past 5. Hype used to have "doable" styles. I remember this spiral set I saw there and my hairdresser duplicated for me.

I plan on getting a subscription to "naturally you" pretty soon. I'm just waiting for another 15.00 offer in the email.

http://www.naturallyyoumagazine.com/

For a long time I bought lots of Sophisticate's Black Hair mags for the advice columns and celebrity features. But I realized years ago that they repeat pics and 90% of the styles have weave unless they are short pixie cuts. I have a collection of them I kept just for reference, but I don't like the artificial aspect of the airbrushed pics, weave, and lies from models stating their hair is real. Plus, I've always worn my hair long, and long hair styles are scarce in those mags.

HoneyDew said:
I like to see the pictures of styles, but I hate that they don't keep it real.

The BEST BEST BEST black hair magazine that I own is Black Beauty and Hair. I bought it while visiting England. It kept it real all the way about weaves and hair pieces that were pictured in the styles.

I wish that I could find it here in the States!

I have to agree with what all of you are saying...i really perfer Sophisticated Hair over Hype Hair...they usually repeat the styles so so much...ive been a long time addicted to purchasing Sophisticated hair i probably have had almost every issue of their magazine for the past couple of years...but they never really change anything and dont really have enough variety in their hairstyles but their advice is okay...

Black Beauty and Hair .... by the way i think this magazine is actually sold at Barnes and Nobles(well some of them)...i never brought the magazine i usually just browse thru it...

Last edited:
I used to buy Braids and Beauty until I realized that all the "natural" styles were weaves. Come on now. I don't need a weave to fake kinky hair.

If anything I just like looking at the photography and artisitic effects they add to the images to satisfy my "creative side/edge"

I haven't got a magazine in a long time because of this. I do prefer Sophisticate's over Hype hair. But if you look closely, the same pics are circulated in both of these magazines! I do like Braids and Beauty and Natural Hair magazines, they give more instructions and have really great styles and give excellent advice on how to take care of hair.

Back