How'd she get that RED hair?!!!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
There was an 8th grader at my daughter's graduation that had this beautiful, pure red hair (I'm not talking auburn. I'm talking RED) that was in the front and top layer of her hair along the sides and back. The rest of her hair was black. I can see from the front that it was dyed because I saw black roots at her part but not her hairline in the front.

I tried to take a pic but my camera died. :wallbash:

So, I remember someone here on the board talking about manic panic. I don't know if that's what it is but, could someone tell me how this color is achieved so solidly on someone with dark hair and how damaging it is.

The red is similar to this red in the pic. I love it! How can I be a redhead with this bold red....other than weave or wig? :lick:

Attachments

• rihanna-long-red-extensions.jpeg
    rihanna-long-red-extensions.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 293
i haven't colored my hair before, but it seems some people bleach and do a small patch test first to make sure it will all come out the right shade

you can't get that red with manic panic unless you bleach your hair first...you might be able to get it with one of the loreal hicolor reds for dark hair, but idk how damaging it would be, esp. on relaxed hair.

My hair was that color when I was in high school. My hair was bleached first and lifted to blonde and I used manic panic Vampire Red to tint it to the red color. As the weeks went and the color faded, I updated with more red until the jar was empty. I bought it at Sally's. That was almost 10 years ago, but they still carry the line. I see it every time I go.

I kinda did something like that but I bleached my hair first. 0_0

I bleached it till it got to an orange colour. The roots processed quicker because it's warmer there so they got to a blonde colour.
picture.php

Then I conditioned it before I added the colour, which was called 'REAL RED' and it's by Schwarzkopf.

And it turned out like this:
picture.php

picture.php

My hair didn't get damaged but I think it was because I did the conditioning step after I bleached it. My hair became over moisturised even, and I had to do a protein treatment to strengthen it again. But after that, it was fine and seemed back to normal.

I LOVE me some Manic Panic Vampire Red!!! I rocked that color til the wheels fell off back in 09!!!:yep:

I think when I get around BSL I'm going back to it. It lasts even longer if you sit under the dryer with it. And my hair always felt soft with it :love:

i second the manic panic vampire red though its what i use...i lightened to a light-mediumish brown before i put the vampire red and i got a burgundyish fiery red that gets lighter over time and in the sun its pretty bright...the jar also lasts a long time, but it can be messy...

Are you open to going to a salon?

I don't know if you can get that even, blood-red look at home; especially since your hair is naturally dark. I could totally be wrong though.

I would still try a salon--specifically a Toni & Guy salon if you have one nearby. They're usually a bit on the alternative side and do all types of dye jobs. Maybe you can visit one and see what's up.

And don't be afraid if you don't see any black people. :lol: Since they color on dry hair, I just make sure my hair is detangled well and blow-dried and I never have any problems. The colorist is only in charge of coloring --so after she washes it out, you can bun & go, or pay extra for a stylist to hook you up.

Let me know what you decide to do either way. I've yet to see a black woman IRL rock that blood red color but I love the look.

Well when I posted about wanting red hair like that a few weeks ago someone posted this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOW51iwYopw

I ended up buying that colour (but with 30vol developer) and did a strand test.
This is how it came out:
23h8was.jpg

I'm doing my whole head in two days so I can show you how it comes out then. :)

Is this a hint at the birthday reveal???????

Girl, no. :grin: That's 2 weeks away. I take way more time than that to flip flop on a decision like this. I definitely want to go red. BOLD red. And I'm willing to risk damage because I know that my hair will grow back if I have to start over. But, I'm afraid of getting a color that looks crazy on me. I'll probably have to try on wigs to find the right color and then let a professional do it (or just keep wearing the wig instead).

Are you open to going to a salon?

I don't know if you can get that even, blood-red look at home; especially since your hair is naturally dark. I could totally be wrong though.

I would still try a salon--specifically a Toni & Guy salon if you have one nearby. They're usually a bit on the alternative side and do all types of dye jobs. Maybe you can visit one and see what's up.

And don't be afraid if you don't see any black people. :lol: Since they color on dry hair, I just make sure my hair is detangled well and blow-dried and I never have any problems. The colorist is only in charge of coloring --so after she washes it out, you can bun & go, or pay extra for a stylist to hook you up.

Let me know what you decide to do either way. I've yet to see a black woman IRL rock that blood red color but I love the look.

I don't think I have the skills to do it myself so, when I'm ready, I'm definitely going to have to go to a pro. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks for the referral.

Well when I posted about wanting red hair like that a few weeks ago someone posted this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOW51iwYopw

I ended up buying that colour (but with 30vol developer) and did a strand test.
This is how it came out:
23h8was.jpg

I'm doing my whole head in two days so I can show you how it comes out then. :)

Ugh! PUHLEEEEEEEZ remember to post the pic. I can't wait to see how it turns out. In the meantime, I'm headed over to the link to see what's up. Thanks!!! Oh, and that color looks awesome against your skintone. Can't wait!

mikimix

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! OMG!! Thank you for that link. It looks so easy to do. I'm not sure if I want my whole head done like that or maybe the front and top like the girl that I saw at the graduation. In any case, it's bold and feisty like me!

Awe man, I can't wait to see your results. Did you use 30 developer? I noticed she went with a higher number than recommended.

And where did you buy it? I don't have a license. Details, woman!!!! :drunk:

Haha
I used 30 vol developer because I was scared about damaging my hair lol
But it came out alright anyway. I had a friend who used 40vol and it came out a bit brighter.
I bought it at pak's cosmetics which is a store in London
but you can get it at sally's without a hairdressers licence (actually all the places that had it, you didn't need to have a licence so I dunno what the girl in the vid is talking about)

is your hair relaxed?

Haha
I used 30 vol developer because I was scared about damaging my hair lol
But it came out alright anyway. I had a friend who used 40vol and it came out a bit brighter.
I bought it at pak's cosmetics which is a store in London
but you can get it at sally's without a hairdressers licence (actually all the places that had it, you didn't need to have a licence so I dunno what the girl in the vid is talking about)

is your hair relaxed?

Relaxed hair and bleach= Disaster.

Yeah, I'm relaxed.
ticked.gif
Man, I never get to have fun.
wtf.gif

Haha I'm relaxed too and the strand test came out fine
I'm just going to stick to: "you must never relax a colour, you always colour a relaxer"

Haha I'm relaxed too and the strand test came out fine
I'm just going to stick to: "you must never relax a colour, you always colour a relaxer"

And there's hope again!!!
coasterride.gif
I'm keeping an eye out for your results. You got me pumped!
bouttobursthappy.gif
And, she did it without pre-bleaching. Is the developer considered a bleach?

It's not really the same thing. Bleach has peroxide in it but the developer is no where near as damaging as bleach.
Also, I was watching another video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1APD5ZMm5j0

and she uses developer there as well
there is also a whole playlist showing you how to colour relaxed hair

I think relaxed hair can take permanent dye, you just have to take a lot of care
making sure you do protein treatments after the dye and both protein and moisturising treatments weekly (which is what I do anyway)
Just stay away from bleach!
(my mother has told me countless horror stories about her hair falling out when she bleached her hair)

Yep. Today's the day. Patiently waiting on mikimix to post her results and hoping she remembers to come back to post a pic here. Yep. Juuuuust waiting. :wavey:

If you want extremely bright pigmented color, your going to have to bleach your hair first. Not in every case but since you want that bright Ariel red, you'll need to let the bleach lift your natural color to red. You dont have to go all the way to pale yellow, so it will be alot less damaging. I wouldn't go with manic panic if you wnat the color to be permanent becuase as I have found out, the manic panic bleeds like a champ. It gets everywhere! My suggestion would be to go to your local sallys, pick up two packets of prism powder bleach in violet or blue, 1 small bottle of 30 developer, and as for the red dye, clariol professional in warm with a 20 vol developer. http://www.sallybeauty.com/demi-hair-color/SBS-320091,default,pd.html.

This girl shows how she vamped up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwajrURfA3c

I love bright colors and just came down from a purple/ red high and now am wearing a highlighted blonde. Just do heavy protein treatments before and after everything and invest in Roux products.

Haha! I'm sitting here with the dye on my hair right now!!
I'll post a separate thread with it styled etc in a couple of hours

I dyed my stepsister's friend's hair for her. I didn't bleach it first. As a matter of fact i mixed the bleach w/ the color and put it in her hair and let it sit for awhile until it was the color she wanted. I dyed the top jet black and the back red

IMG_20110524_171538.jpg

IMG_20110524_171532.jpg

IMG_20110524_172741.jpg
IMG_20110524_181718.jpg
IMG_20110524_181733.jpg
IMG_20110524_183609.jpg
IMG_20110524_183621.jpg

Back