How many LHCF ladies self relaxed their hair?

Should tWord Association end?

• Total voters

Vitality

I am curious to know if you apply your own relaxer because I received a lot of noise yesterday from my former hairdresser, who stated I am damaging my hair by applying my own relaxers. My hair was in a protective style when I ran into her. She also practically called me a liar because I told her I use Affirm relaxer, and she said that this relaxer can only be bought with a cosmetologist license...hmmmm.....

I saw my former hair stylist in the grocery store yesterday and I think she was pretty pissed off because I dropped her services about 3 months ago and she has been sending smart comments to me through my husband who uses the barber at this shop. I stopped going to her because she lied about the type of relaxer she was applying to my hair. Also, I noticed that when she did apply Affirm to my hair she was not using the complete system, so I decided to buy Affirm myself and care for my own hair.

If she has that kind of attitude It is a good thing that you stopped going to her. No telling what she would do to your hair in the long run!
And I do self relax.

I've self relax for about 15 years. I haven't had any problems. I've heard a lot about Affirm on this board. I haven't been able to find it in the beauty supply stores I frequent (chicago area). Where can you get it?

I self relax, I've never had any problems with it, my hair has always been pretty healthy.

I self relax, but I've been using Organic Root Stimulator. (Or at least this is what I used last time.) Where can I order Affirm online and how much is it?? When I went to stylists that's what I had them use. Please let me know so I can order it!! Thanks so much!

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard a lot about Affirm on this board. I haven't been able to find it in the beauty supply stores I frequent (chicago area). Where can you get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can order online from Sheldeez

I've been self-relaxing since my stylist stopped doing hair. I guess its been a year and a half and so far its been going well. The results aren't as fantastic as when Maria(my ex-stylist) did it but I gave up trying other salons where I discovered I did a better job then they did.
She barely spoke english but no one could handle my crazy hair and get such beautiful resorts like Maria!

I self-relax because I dread getting it done at the salon. Not really because they'll botch it, it's just my eyes will be wellig up with tears when they're ripping through my 4b newgrowth, and now I'm waiting EVEN longer between relaxers! At least at home I can use the myhairsos method and it will be easier to comb through. Saving money is a lesser reason, but given my PJ history, it's moot
smile.gif

I self-relaxed for my last relaxer. I'm not sure if I'll self relaxe next time around...I'm expecting a LOT of new growth. If I do, I'll use the Motions Oil in mild.

After the very first time I got a relaxer from a stylist, I self relaxed. I watched how she did it thefirst time, and just took my chances since then, that was 12 years ago and I have never had any problems either. I only had one fear, OVERLAPPING. So, Ive been very careful trying my best not to. I dont trust my hair to anyone basically, so I feel I have to learn all I can as best I can to take care it. I love my hair more than anyone else would.

Up until about 2 years ago I self relaxed for about 4 years. My hair was fine but I didn't relax it straight-straight. You know what I mean. When I found a stylist I liked I was finally able to switch. It became too much of a hassle as I got longer hair. I am just now thinking about finding a different hairdresser. She uses Affirm but I am ashamed to say I don't know if she uses the neutralizer. She does use Elucence though. HMMM..... I WANT A GOOD STYLIST!!

I dont self relax, but one day I would like to learn how to relax my own hair. Until then I have finally found a stylist that has been doing a great job relaxing my hair.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dandy112 said:
I dont self relax, but one day I would like to learn how to relax my own hair. Until then I have finally found a stylist that has been doing a great job relaxing my hair.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!
wink.gif
I like my stylist's services, but I'm going to start self relaxing because
1. I want to texturize and not relax as straight as my stylist does.
2. I want to be salon-independant.
3. I want to save money. My stylists charges $85 for a touchup, rollerset, and trim. It's not THAT deep.

PCJ lye and I are going to get very well acquainted right before Xmas break.

If she has that kind of attitude and if she lied and is not following the entire procedure, then she should be dropped. Next time she gives you some of that nasty attitude tell her where to kiss it and go about your day. She is just mad because she is no longer getting your money.

I've been self-relaxing since the 80's. If I could find a beautician that I could trust, I would go to a salon for this service.

I have self-relaxed for about 12 years. I think I've done a pretty good job. I recently got it done at a salon and prefer that pampering since I've finally found a beautician I feel I can trust.

I had been self-relaxing for the past 3 years, but recently found a great stylist. He will not perm your hair unless it has been 8 weeks or more. And he mentioned using care free curl spray for moisture. I have been going to him for 3 months. He only charges $30 for a wash & crimp set. and $40 for a affirm perm. He does'nt charge extra when I get a protein treatment. The list goes on and on. needless to say he's getting a good xmas gift from me.

Vet

I had been self-relaxing for the past 3 years, but recently found a great stylist. He will not perm your hair unless it has been 8 weeks or more. And he mentioned using care free curl spray for moisture. I have been going to him for 3 months. He only charges $30 for a wash & crimp set. and $40 for a affirm perm. He does'nt charge extra when I get a protein treatment. The list goes on and on. needless to say he's getting a good xmas gift from me.

Vet

I've never had my hair relaxed at a salon, and I've been doing it myself for the past 5 years. But I only relax maybe 4 times a year, and I only loosen up the curl, so its more texturized than anything. I do it myself because I don't trust anyone else to do it in this manner.

Same here, I've only gotten my hair relaxed"professionally" 2 times, and the stylist was rough with my hair. I haven't had any problems doing it myself though, and it's way cheaper too!

I've been relaxing my hair off and on for years. Most of the time I do it myself but I found a good hairdresser about 2 years ago and she took really good care of my hair. She had a salon in her basement and she only lived about 8 minutes from me. I loved how she took care of my hair and would get me in and out of her salon very fast. However, she decided to get a full time job and just do hair on the side. The problem with that is that she only does hair on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. No weekends.
frown.gif
Also, I don't live close to her anymore so it's inconvenient for me. I've decided to do my own relaxers again. I love taking care of my own hair. I hate sitting in a salon all day and spending all that money on something that I can do myself. I use Motions relaxer when I do my own hair but my hairdresser used Affirm. That's the best relaxer I've ever had. I'm going to try and order it from sheldeez.com.

I started self relaxing this past April after I realized that my hair dressers where doing more harm to my hair by relaxing bone straight and using no lye on me. Ever since I have been taking care of my own relaxers, my hair is the healthiest and longest it's ever been
smile.gif

Thanks Ladies and I agree I think my former beautician was just mad because she's not getting my money anymore, and I think I was one of the few customer that tipped.
Well, I am going to continue self relaxing and if I ever meet a beautician I can trust then I might consider switching. I actually like my self relaxers result because it is not bone straight and no more chemical burns! In the meantime I am saving myself LOTS of money.
grin.gif

I also self relax with Affirm Fiberguard from Sheldeez (the complete system). I like being able to control the when, how and what in the relaxing process. Also, it is so hard to find a good hair stylist and when you do, you have to deal with waiting at the shop and paying all that loot.

I am thinking about self relaxing but when it's time I CHICKEN OUT and head back to the salon.

Back