How many LHCF ladies self relaxed their hair?

Should tWord Association end?

• Total voters
I self-relax and am really enjoying the experience. To be honest with you, in addition to trying to save money, I stopped going to beauticians because I just got tired of all the shop drama. I had been getting my hair done in shops since I was 5 years old. I've seen fists fights between clients, beauticians stealing clients and throwing curling irons, etc. I just haven't had good luck with picking a peaceful shop so about two years ago (maybe less), I've been doing my own hair in my PEACEFUL little house and loving it.

I self relax as well. I hear too, too many stories about how one side is shorter than the other because the relaxer was done improperly and things of that nature. I can make sure that I wash and wash until every trace of the relaxer is out...no worries this way. Been doing so since high school.

Wish I knew how too. I'm so worried about overprocessing or overlapping cause I don't know that I could work it through my hair that fast or that I can keep it to only the new growth.

I've been relaxing my hair since January of this year and I'm haven't looked back. In the past, I've had a natural for about a year and decided that I hated how my face looked with it, and went back to having it relaxed in a salon again. Salons always did the same thing: relax my hair to death, burn my scalp, trim it in a pageboy. for 6 years, my hair was never past my ears. now I relax my hair with Motions (currently regular with a teaspoon of oil in the mix) and can wear my hair curly or straight.

I decided as educated as I am, I surely can figure out how to do my own relaxer if all the beauticians do is read a book and practice on other people. My hair has been jacked up to the tune of $85.00 plus tip, so I can stand to spend $8.00 on a relaxer and try it myself.

Besides, there's PLENTY of info on this forum for you to do it right the first time.

Go for yours ladies!

Ive been self relaxing for about 5 years, took me a while to get it down but now that I have it I wouldnt trade it for anything.

Hi Vitality
wave.gif

Although I'm transitioning now, I self-relaxed for 13 yrs. My last touch up was Apr 19th... I've never had a problem with the application nor the results
cool.gif

I now get my relaxers done by one of my close friends at home. I havn't gotten the nerve to try to do it myself yet. But, I stopped going to the salon because my stylist applied the relaxer from root to tip over already relaxed hair. That was a trigger that told me it was time to stop going to her. I learned from this forum that you need to watch everything that stylists do to your hair. I never paid attention before coming to this forum. Thanks ladies for all your wisdom. I now have healthier hair because of you.

I usually do my own relaxers. I have gone to a stylist on a number of occasions, but mainly do my own. My next touchup is in two weeks and I'm gonna let Spicee1t do it because I know I over lap the relaxer causing my hair to be overprocessed. I have about two inches of new growth I think, and I dont want to lose the old growth since I now know more about caring for my hair.

Another reason why I relax my own hair. Before I went natural 2 years, I got three retouches by two beauticians. The woman that did my first retouch gave me a mild scalp burn. I was 20 at the time. My mother relaxed my hair from 10-12. I NEVER EVER EVER had a scalp burn when she did it. I then stopped perming my hair for two years because my mom stopped doing my touch ups. When I was fourteen I took a go at it myself. My mother watched me apply and let me know when the relaxer was out the first few times I relaxed myself.

After that I relaxed until I went natural. I NEVER EVER EVER had scalp burns when I relaxed my own hair.

Then when I went back home for winter break at 20 I let a beautician who was a friend of my cousins retouch. She put the relaxer in and I felt burning. I told her "wash this out, I feel a tingling." You know what that fool told me? She said: "Oh it's just tingling." I turned my head around and said:" ________ my hair is starting to burn in that area WASH IT OUT!!!!!" Since she didn't want to get a beat down from my cousins that she hung out with she said: "Okay girl, I'm sorry it started burning." She washed it out, and that area was sore if you touched or combed it. I didn't comb my hair for a few days and was careful.

The scab wasn't oozing or anything, the thing was she was going to let me burn baby burn. That retouch cost me 70 bucks plus a tip almost 80 dollars.

The second woman didn't burn my hair, but it cost me 40 dollars and as a broke student I couldn't really afford this luxury all the time (this was a salon in Alabama).

I liked her, but I wanted my directions followed and with the burning example she wasn't going to listen to me. When I want a relaxer washed out, I don't care if it hasn't been on my head for 5 minutes, I want it washed out. Some stylists will do what they want.

So now that I relax again, I don't have to hear a stylist say: "Girl your hair will fall out if you don't get a retouch at this time." And if my hair falls out, it's my own fault.

Besides, they do a wash and curl much faster than retouches and it's cheaper. I'll go to a stylist to wash and style my hair.

I do my own because if I mess it up, I can say that I messed it up and that no one did it for me.

I do my own relaxers and have been for a while. During the time i caved in and went to the "pros" to do them for me, my hair always ended up damaged.

I have been self-relaxing my hair for 15 years with Optimum. Only I wish I would have taken better care of my hair during those years. Plus, if a beautician gets an attitude about you doing your own hair then you shouldn't go to her.

Who is the world want to give their hard earned money to someone with an attitude like that is beyond me.

P.S. I'm thinking about switching to Motion Relaxer. I like their ingredients in the perm, shampoo and conditioner.

I have been self-relaxing my hair for 15 years with Optimum. Only I wish I would have taken better care of my hair during those years. Plus, if a beautician gets an attitude about you doing your own hair then you shouldn't go to her. Who is the world want to give their hard earned money to someone with an attitude like that is beyond me. P.S. I'm thinking about switching to Motion Relaxer. I like their ingredients in the perm, shampoo and conditioner.
Optimum was my go-to relaxer, I nearly had a heart attack when Sally's discontinued it. There was a "neighborhood" beauty supply that sold everything and the kitchen sink but the jars had an inch of dust on them and I was afraid. This was actually the beginning of my real HHJ and my subsequent transition. I had no clue what I was doing and was just copying what I saw the beauticians doing. The turning point for me was changing products and going no-lye without understanding the potential consequences. I lost some hair in my crown and at my nape and my relaxed hair which was the longest and healthiest it had ever been in my life never recovered from the switch. I'm now almost 14 months post relaxer and 4 months post BC. If I ever go back to relaxing again I will be a self-relaxer.

I just self relaxed last week with ors box relaxer... I bought gloves and used my fingers to feel my newgrowth... I got some on my scalp though which I will base my scalp next time.... This relaxer took better than when I got it done at the salon... I believe I may stick with self relaxing

Back