Votes: 13 5.3%
  • The same due to setbacks/cuts/trims but my hair is healthier

Votes: 35 14.2%
  • The same due to setbacks/cuts/trims sadly my hair is still unhealthy

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Other: Please Explain

Votes: 47 19.0%

• Total voters
to really start caring for it and how much has it grown since?
What has been your biggest challenge to achieving healthy AND "long" hair?
Also what product(s) stunted your growth?
What product(s) helped you overcome your biggest hair challenge?

I'm curious to see the difference you've experience in your hair since you began to care for it.

In the past 2 years, i've gone natural and decided to relax again. What i've noticed is that both in my relax and natural hair, my biggest challenge to growth is/was maintaining moisture. BREAKAGE/SPLITS is my enemy:mad: Through much trial an error, i am finally beginning to learn what works for MY hair. While I seek length, I'd rather have 3 inches of healthy hair than 10 inches of unhealthy locks.

Products that didn't work for me:

Carol's Daughter relax or natural did nothing for me
Carol's D Khoret Amen Deep Conditioner=Brillo pad hair
Carol's D Black Vanilla leave in = Dry Dry Hair
Carols Daughter hair balm=Oily greasy mess on my natural hair
Fantasia Shine Creme= Sits on my hair like bricks
Curly Pudding=waste of money

What WORKS
S-Curl No Drip Moisturizer= Had i tried this when i was natural i wouldn't have relaxed!!
Kera Care Oil Moisturizer with Jojoba= Love this on my damp hair
Organic Coconut Oil= Just melts into my hair
Phyto= Thank God I found you!!!!
Ors Replenishing Pak

My hair was probably around armpit last March. Between shedding (post-partum and stress), bad dye, lack of moisture and more... Well, my hair was DAMAGED! So it was broken off to thin shoulder length and I cut most of my dye off and pretty much started off neck-length. I feel my hair should probably be longer, but with the loss of my mother and other things in 2006 I gave myself a break and finally got a set regimine for my hair and happiness, lol.

What worked: Keraphix, KeraCare, ORS, pre-pooing, less manipulation, vitamins, and overall high-quality hair care.

What didn't: Kenra, jumping on bandwagons, adding peppermint oil to stuff, any Nexxus products minus Keraphix, NTM (leave-in and serum was okay), crazy oil/butter mixes, homemade MTG-wannabe mix, greasing the scalp, and worrying myself to death over things that really shouldn't be that serious.

Protective styling and finding the right regime.

No products have stunted my growth. I've had 3 major setbacks, but all were from human error...

Olive oil, a good deep conditioner, and aphogee treatment

I'm curious to see the difference you've experience in your hair since you began to care for it.
My hair is no longer breaking off all over the place and it's no longer dry.

Aussie 3 minute miracle:did absolutely nothing for my hair
Nexxus Humectress:worked well at first, but eventually this happened. and we had to part ways. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=78767
Mousse:Eventually left my hair feeling dry
Egg in hair:why did i ever...:lol:
CON: I used this religiously, but my hair never felt "clean"

What WORKS
Water/Glycerine mix for a moisturizer: cheaper than s-curl or sta so fro and effective
Cholesterols or Aubrey Gpb for conditioning: effective and cheap
shampoos without sls. I'm in love with Biotin, but I will be experimenting with others:not so cheap, but the way my hair feels is worth it.
Olive oil: for sealing those ends baby;) I may try castor oil. I need to compare prices first. Coconut oil worked, but it's too expensive.
Vitapro:I used to use this until i discovered the water/glycerine mix
Mtg: I won't be repurchasing--the smell is crazy
Keraphix:Too high. I get about the same results from the gpb for $9 less. I haven't tried it since nexxus became available in grocery stores though.

What I want to try
Unrefined Shea butter
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Elucence--when i get rich

Last edited:
I probably started thinking of growing my hair when I first went to college in the fall of 2004. I was neck length, approaching shoulder length when I decided to transition. I transitioned for 8 months then did a BC to ear length, but due to self esteem issues, I went back to relaxing after two months. Because I didn't know much about hair boards or hair books, I kept relaxing without doing anything in the form of protein/moisture balance. Much of it broke off, and I decided to transition again in the fall of 2005. Went back to a relaxer in March 2006 and found boards in April 2006.

Since then, my hair greatly improved until I did some damage with a product containing hydrogen peroxide in September. I decide to transition around that time also. I have probably about an inch and a half of new growth, and 3 inches of relaxed ends, with the last 1/2 inch damaged from the peroxide.

My biggest hurdle is keeping breakage at bay. I don't really believe in protective styles because my hair isn't that long. I think my protein/moisture balance is okay, but I still have trouble decided when to use more of one or the other.

Products that didn't work
ORS Shea Butter
ORS Olive Oil (in the jar)
Clairol Shine Happy
CON Shampoo
Nexxus Therappe

Holy Grails
Suave Professional Humectant Conditioner
Pantene Intensive Restoration Treatment
Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal Conditioner
Pantene R & N Wrap and Set Lotion
ORS Temple Balm
ORS Carrot Oil
Kemi Oyl
Nexxus Emergencee, Botanoil Shampoo, Humectress, Keraphix

Last edited:
When I consciously decided to start caring for my hair it was just about waist length. Before that I had periods of "neglect" that were actually good for my hair because during those times I was just too busy to do anything with my hair so I would wash it about once every two weeks, quick condition in the shower and then apply Redken Anti Snap as a leave in and coat it with Vaseline.:perplexed

I finally realized (I don't know what took me so damn long:ohwell: ) that my hair had gotten a lot longer and strong while I was "neglecting" it.

I make a promise to myself to stop using heat for at least 6 months and wash and condition my hair more often. It grew like crazy.

I flat ironed my hair last night for the first time in over a year and a half. It reaches my hip bones when it's fully stretched out.

B_Phlyy - I'm still trying to figure the protein/moisture thing out too..when my hair breaks it just makes me want to shave it and call it a day:( But i know that i have to be consistent with "caring for it properly".

Camelia- Your hair is absolutely beautiful!!! Funny enough, in my hair history i've achieved the most length when wearing braids (did this through out college) and my hair was left alone...too bad my scalp can't tolerate them anymore:ohwell:

shiningstar84 - I'm always looking for ways to keep my hair moisturized the cheaper and simpler the better... I may have to try the glycerin thing... the fancy moisturizers haven't work for me. I have to use a combo of things to keep is soft and moist...

Talipoohz_Momma - I'm sorry for your loss...I'm sure in the scheme of things this hair thing isn't all that important...but if you focus on internal health as well both your body and hair benefits...and when you look good, you feel good...the inverse is also true i suppose:) Anyhoo...Happy healthy hair growing!!

my hair was ear-length but now it's grazing my shoulders. check out my fotki for visual aids.

what worked:
Nexxus products! my hair loves em
Dudley products
BB castor oil hair lotion
creme of nature nourishing conditioner

what didn't work:
cantu moisturizing shampoo (dried out my hair way too much)
Beyond the zone noodlehead (didn't do jack for my wash n gos)

Last edited:
My hair is shorter in length, but MUCH healthier and thicker. I cut a lot and I am glad I did. My hair had much more thickness and body.

I started out barely shoulder length. Now and am about an inch or two from APL. My hair is so much thicker and healthier though. I know that if I have patience and don't do anything foolish, I can reach my mid-back goal!

I just started in July 2006 and its a whole lot healthier. It has grown quit a bit. the front was top of ear now almost chin. the back was neck and not almost shoulder.

Staying on top of daily moisturiing. I am use to it now but at first moisturizing 2 times a day and the daily surging was a bit much. but now, its just part of my routine. If i want long healthy hair, i have to work for it. Another hurdle was remembering to take my vits and work that into my budget on a monthly basis (as well as this pjism). i made some adjustments and everything is cool now.

i don't know if i will say this stunted my growth, ORS olive oil moisturizer just didnt really work for me.

Qp mango butter is a godsend and surge 14 plus softens my new growth and i believe it works. ORS replenishing condtioner. Salerm Wheat Germ Conditioner, Salerm 21 leave in, Mane and Tale 'poo and NTM Leave in.

Taking vitamins (biotin/silica/hair skin nails) has also help speed up the process a little bit and i believe made my hair a tad softer. I've also increased my intake of water and changed my eating habits a bit (more protein).

I started at APL, and I'm still there due to setbacks, after almost a year. My hair is healthier and thicker, and I've learned a lot of valuable lessons.

Nothing stunted my growth; my hair has definitely been growing. I wasn't retaining my growth due to improperly neutralizing after relaxers (Phyto). I was dealing with lots of dryness, and some breakage.

What doesn't work for me: cheapies/drugstore brands... even though I wish they did, and blowdrying. :mad:

What does work for me: Aveda DR and serum, Kenra MC, PM Super Skinny line, Elucence products, Nexxus Humectress as a leave-in, jojoba oil, light-medium protein (occasionally), Phyto Index 2, henna, no direct heat/blowdryers, less combing, no cutting or trimming, no salons/stylists, and probably some other things I can't think of.

Your hair looks beautiful. We have simular hair types, soft silky and fine. It doesn't like to be messed with much! LOL but your hair looks wonderful so I'm going to pay attention and follow your tips, espeically that stay out of the salons one!! They are to heavy handed for our tender hair type.

Since I'm so new to the board, I don't know if I'm qualified to answer the question. But I know henna is going to be the end all to be all life saver for my fine hair strands. After only one (I'm doing another tonight, I can tell a huge difference. I can't imagine how it will be after a year's worth of hennaing (is that a verb?) The other thing that is helping is the protective styling and the self relaxing tips.

What's going to have to be adjusted: my time online! and in the BSS .....LOL

Princess Pie said:
I started at APL, and I'm still there due to setbacks, after almost a year. My hair is healthier and thicker, and I've learned a lot of valuable lessons.

Nothing stunted my growth; my hair has definitely been growing. I wasn't retaining my growth due to improperly neutralizing after relaxers (Phyto). I was dealing with lots of dryness, and some breakage.

What doesn't work for me: cheapies/drugstore brands... even though I wish they did, and blowdrying. :mad:

What does work for me: Aveda DR and serum, Kenra MC, PM Super Skinny line, Elucence products, Nexxus Humectress as a leave-in, jojoba oil, light-medium protein (occasionally), Phyto Index 2, henna, no direct heat/blowdryers, less combing, no cutting or trimming, no salons/stylists, and probably some other things I can't think of.

Last edited:
Mines was ear length from a cut and it grew to shoulder length. I recently cut it all off and started over as a natural though.

How long was your hair when you decided to really start caring for it and how much has it grown since?
My hair was originally bra strap in 2003 and I made a decision to cut it to shoulder length in 2004 b/c of the thin/ragged ends...and I'm now waist length.

Taking more time to dry my hair under a hooded dryer or air drying vs. using a blow-dryer, being firm and not allowing stylists to cut my hair when it only needs to be trimmed.

Gels, sprays, heavy pomades

Now 100% Jojoba oil, Sabino's Moisture Block, DE Stimulations Moisturizing Conditioner

Princess P...can you expand on improper neutralizing?. I use Phyto as well, and i like it because it doesn't make my hair too straight which i like and i haven't experienced as much breakage....were you following the directions and still got dryness? I've experience dryness as well...i'm not sure if this is just my moisture issue or if Phyto contributes to this.

If you have another way of effectively neutralizing...can you share? Thanks!

Princess Pie said:

My hair is almost shoulder length now and i'm just starting my journey to healthy hair so hopefully i'll be able to answer this in a few months.:grin:

to really start caring for it and how much has it grown since? When I started really caring for my hair was october 2005 on the Cathy Howse 6 inches in 1 yr challenge. I made it! My hair used to be about 2 inches longer than chin length and now I am APL!!!

What has been your biggest challenge to achieving healthy AND "long" hair? Stretching has been my biggest challenge and trying to retain thickness lost from post partum shedding.

Also what product(s) stunted your growth? Grease, IC Hair Polisher (I used to smother my hair in that stuff), those tiny toothed combs, any hair color products, and Goody Bobo barettes (ponytailholders).

What product(s) helped you overcome your biggest hair challenge? The almighty SCurl has helped me retain alot of moisture when I do my braidouts, KeraCare Products, Kemi Oyl.

I chose other...cause while I don't have a BAAF yet...my TWA has grown a good bit. I would include pics but...ya know...trying to get my 'HIDE HAIR TILL CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE' on.;)

AtlantaJJ Thanks for the compliment. I took me a long time to accept that my hair is fine. When I was going to salons my hair looked cute for a few hours, then got dry and started breaking. Basically, I was paying a ton of money for rough handling and hours of waiting.

BackToMyRoots I was using the neutralizer in the kit, but only doing two quick shampoos. The indicator would be white, so I'd move on. My hair got straight, and had lots of body, but it was dry and tangled. Thanks to advice from women on this board, I did like 4 shampoos. I let one of the shampoos sit on hair for more than 15 minutes, so it could penetrate and bring the pH down. I also used porosity control with my conditioner, since it has a low pH. That solved the problem; no more dry, tangled hair. HTH

Princess P - Oh ok...I guess i'm neutralizing correctly then...I may try porosity control in the future...Let's see how my hair improves with my current routine:D

It's really inspiring to see the progress you ladies have made...Long or short as long as it's healthy it's great progress in my eyes:up:

Princess Pie said:
AtlantaJJ Thanks for the compliment. I took me a long time to accept that my hair is fine. When I was going to salons my hair looked cute for a few hours, then got dry and started breaking. Basically, I was paying a ton of money for rough handling and hours of waiting.

BackToMyRoots I was using the neutralizer in the kit, but only doing two quick shampoos. The indicator would be white, so I'd move on. My hair got straight, and had lots of body, but it was dry and tangled. Thanks to advice from women on this board, I did like 4 shampoos. I let one of the shampoos sit on hair for more than 15 minutes, so it could penetrate and bring the pH down. I also used porosity control with my conditioner, since it has a low pH. That solved the problem; no more dry, tangled hair. HTH

My hair was/is around my shoulders, and I've gotten about 1.5 inches since joining LHCF. When I first saw black women with long, thick, real (lol), & healthy hair at fotki, I was blown away and started paying attention to my hair and purposely began trying to take care of it.

My biggest challenge so far has been consistency. I was so good when I started, but now I'm hit and miss. I'm trying to get back to a good regime. Also, I'm a PJ. Not only that, I'm a "try this techniqe/recipe" junkie too. So this is what really disrupted my regimen. I was doing something different to my hair every 3 days or trying a new product or recipe. Unfortunately, my hair started to break off quite a bit from certain recipes and products, and I can't remember what my regime was when I was being consistent (and seeing the best results). So, now I'm back to experimenting.

Products/things that stunted my growth:
- honey!!!!! I would bet money that it broke off over 50% of my ends. It was such a disappointing experience, to say the least.
- Fantasia IC Gel Sparklelites (blue gel). It just sat on my hair. NO shine. NO hold. Then the next day I had flakes.
- Several different oil mixtures have broken my hair off
- pre-poos with olive oil or coconut oil. Both left my hair super crunchy, and again, my ends snapped right off.

Products/things that helped my growth:
- SCurl.. my goodness! the creme de la creme! It keeps my hair is ridiculously soft.
- deep-conditioning treatments
- I just started using coconut milk, but I love it! It also makes my hair very soft.
- Shea butter for sealing.
- an oil pomade that I made. It's fab! The shine is ridiculous, and it kept moisture locked in for 2 days. Best of all, no breakage like the other oils.
- Washing/conditioning my hair in sections
- Only combing w/ conditioner in my hair

:)

I decided I needed to start really being serious with my haircare in March. I was between neck and shoulder ( I got a loooong neck ya'll:lol: ). I searched across the web and stumbled upon Dontspeakdefeat's fotki album. The rest, ladies and gents, is history:D . I am currently between shoulder and armpit length and have retained about 8" since March( will remeasure this wkend with fresh relaxer...)

Things that stunted my growth:
condition washes; too much manipulation
New Orleans water: not sure but my hair did not grow there! I stayed 8 weeks and nothing
too frequent washes; again too much manipulation

Things that have helped growth:
deep conditioning weekly
stretching relaxers; currently have made it to 12 weeks
moisture, moisture, moisture
taking supplements and lots of water

-Having a routine..so I really don't have one

-none

-biggest challenge was dry hair..solution drink more water

-My hair grows rather I take care of it or not....I think it stays more moisturized because I treat my body better then I used to (in some ways)

hmmm.. well it was chin length, and i cut it off into the teensiest afro and now it's a lil beyond shoulder length (average of the front and back)...

the biggest challenge to me was not jumping on EVERY bandwagon that came along and maintaining some kind of consistency in my hair care... lol... hoever, i am truly a PJ at heart...

i don't think that anything stunted my growth but there are definitely products that did nothing positive for me...

i'd say that surge plus 14 helped me to start growing out the back of my hair (which was shaved when i started) and right now my moisturizer issues are being controlled very nicely by Hairsilk (in the pink bottle) cream...

updated blowout pic:

Attachments

• DSCF0717.JPG
    DSCF0717.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0729.JPG
    DSCF0729.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 11
caribeandiva said:
my hair was ear-length but now it's grazing my shoulders. check out my fotki for visual aids.

what worked:
Nexxus products! my hair loves em
Dudley products
BB castor oil hair lotion
creme of nature nourishing conditioner

what didn't work:
cantu moisturizing shampoo (dried out my hair way too much)
Beyond the zone noodlehead (didn't do jack for my wash n gos)

I read about beyond the zone...so far it's not working as good as I hoped. I am still giving it time to impress though...I read about it on Blackhairmedia. Lately I've been mixing the shampoo with my leave in concoction and leaving it in for an hour. A few days ago I purchased Noodle head to activate the curls..so far....not impressed.

Mine was a twa a year and some ago june 2005 i m elated to see the growth now. The last time i checked august 20, i was not far from armpit but ever since as of nov 5, i dont know my length my hair is in hiatus and braided but i have so much growth accumulated its ridiculous:eek: thanks to the vit regimen. What i do i just braid every 2-3 months and avoid checking i m trying to get to waistlength by this summer for my big reveal in my home country lol but its good to see that with care,determination u can reach your goal

i voted for twa to large fro but i think because of the Carlson msm the hair texture has changed. i m still 4 b but the hair is just nappy straigtht that s weird it just stay cotton straight more elongated but shrink back after a wash but the new roots coming the new growth out of the cornrows is long and straighter and softer. i also notice the more the hair grows and gets longer, the more it kinda starts to fall down or sideways it doesnt just stay up

How much has it grown?
Started reading LHCF back in Dec 05. Started at low-neck/shoulder length with lots of short layers on the side. Hair was streaked with lots of golden, frizzy, ratty highlights. My hair was really thinned out from highlight damage. Now I'm knocking on APL at all one length, I think.
What has been your biggest challenge to achieving healthy AND "long" hair? Maintaining moisture/protein balance. Keeping my ends intact. Doing stupid, spur-of-the-moment things that cause major shedding or breakage!:mad:
Not so much the product but what I was doing with it. Over conditioning my hair caused major shedding and a major setback a few months ago. I lost my battle with the moisture/protein balance when I started co-washing.
Apoghee treatments and Porosity Control put me on the road to recovery. Henna is taking me all the way!!!;)

I've been trying to dig up pix from when I first started or from prior to then, but I was avoiding take pix at that time.:cool: By my July pix, even though I hadn't achieved much length, I had achieved major, major thickness. Even with my shedding mishap. Bunning everyday for 6 months did that. My husband finally said he didn't want to see that thing in my head anymore!:lol:

Quite a few...I think what's more important is what works!

What WORKS
HENNA, HENNA, AND MO HENNA!!!!!
Phyto - awesome relaxer!
Spectrum Organic coconut oil & WGO
Elucence - I have just about everything in the line and use it all.
Porosity Control, Elasta DPR-11, Lustrasilk Shea Butter & Mango
Cantu Break Cure
These are all my staples. I use them constantly!:thumbsup:

I also used porosity control with my conditioner, since it has a low pH. That solved the problem; no more dry, tangled hair. HTH

Hmmm, I wonder is that what's wrong with my hair. When I was relaxed, I would get roller sets and my hair would always tangle. A stylist told me to get porosity control, but I never did.

I love roller sets but they would ALWAYS tangle my hair.

Thanks for sharing.

armpit length and bra strap now

moisture, shedding and breakage from life stress. I can never manage to get through a stressful event w/o it having a bad effect on my hair.

MTG, 911 emergencee leave-in, ANYTHING Profectiv I tried made my hair worse.

WGO, Silicon Mix leave-in, LeKair Cholesterol, ORS replinishing pak.

You know what else never worked with helping nurse my hair? The hot towel wrap technique I read on here months ago while I was a lurker. I have tried it 3 times and the results are still "blah." Oh well. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Back