Votes: 13 5.3%
  • The same due to setbacks/cuts/trims but my hair is healthier

Votes: 35 14.2%
  • The same due to setbacks/cuts/trims sadly my hair is still unhealthy

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Other: Please Explain

Votes: 47 19.0%

• Total voters
My hair was just below shoulder length when I started July, 2003 and it has grown very well since. I don't measure my hair since my goal has never been a certain length (I love not measuring!). I only wanted healthy, thick hair.

What has been your biggest challenge to achieving healthy AND "long" hair?
Learning how to do protective styles, which I had never done. Actually , it was pretty fun learning how to make a bun, then a French Twist, then a braidout, etc. Soon I had enough pretty styles to rotate with and play with. I also learned to airdry for the first time in my life. I didn't know it was even possible and thought all black women used heat! What a breakthrough that was! :yep:

Also what product(s) stunted your growth?
I wouldn't say any product ever "stunted" my growth. The only hazard to my hair was heat and I stopped that abruptly in July, 2003, throwing out all heating appliances.

What product(s) helped you overcome your biggest hair challenge
I already was using Nexxus products except for Headdress. I didn't know about leave-ins until I started learning about haircare. I was on the right path with products (unconsciously), I just needed to know what I was doing.

What Continues to Work
Nexxus Botanoil shampoo, Humectress, Headdress, Keraphix and some Aveda products - Anti-Humectant, Aveda Brilliant Emollient Gloss, Sap Moss shampoo, Biolage Matrix Daily Leave-in, Constant Care for Ends,no heat, protective styling, lots of water and a healthy diet (which I already practiced), daily exercise, stretching my relaxers, keeping my hair and ends moisturized, washing and deep conditioning 2x each week, airdrying, learning from the ladies here, patience, daily prayer and meditation, expecting the best, helping others with their hair challenges, always having loving, positive thoughts towards my hair and myself.:)

I started out a little bit above shoulder (5/06) and now I'm at APL (11/06). I was at APL in September, but I had to get a BIG trim because my ends looked HORRIBLE.

What worked: my staples in my siggy, Tresemme, sunsilk 24/7 creme

What didn't work: Keraphix, Essations, Sunsilk Shampoo and Conditioner, Mizani Night time treatment

Last edited:
Not sticking to one regimine and UNDERPROCESSED RELAXERS

None...

What product(s) helped you overcome your biggest hair challenge?
Motions Moisture Plus After Shampoo Conditioner

I'm curious to see the difference you've experience in your hair since you began to care for it.
Its hard, because alot of pics I took of my hair before I started "taking care" of my hair, look 100 times better than it does now BUT, When I get real I realize that my hair is alot easier to style and is lighter/bouncier.

Products that didn't work for me:
DuoTex - made my hair feel like a brick
Nexxus Humectress:Did nothing
Elasta QP Silk - made hair hard

What WORKS

CON Green
Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner
Kemi Oyl
Grease
Profectiv Mega Growth
Keracare Oil Moisturizer w/ jojoba oil
Aussie 3 minute miracle reconstructor
Suave Clarifying
V05 Miracle Mist

What I want to try

Keracare Headress
Keracare Hydrating Shampoo
Kenra MC
The whole Keracare Line :lol:
and/or Aveda

Last edited:
I started out with over processed, disgusting looking hair with bald patches to boot in Feb '06. I joined in March and chopped all my hair down to a little less than 1 inch.

As of Dec '06, my hair is mid-neck, close to SL in the back and chin length in the front (pageboy style).

At this rate I should be APL this time next year.

Great thread. I was shoulder length when I came to the board. I am now almost APL but I transitioned to natural hair. I was shoulder length when relaxed. Protective styles, minimal heat and frequent washing helped my hair tremoudously. It is so healthy and soft. I hope to reach bra strap one day.

When I came to LHCF, I had just did my BC and my hair was les than an inch long. Now, 18 months later my hair is longer than seven inches.

my biggest challenge is sticking to my regimen. I know what it takes to grow my hair out i.e. drinking more water, taking vitamins, protective styles, regular trims, etc, but I don't do them regularly.

I've always wanted longer hair but could never get past the tops of my shoulders when I was relaxed. Then I cut my hair and went natural in Dec. 2004. Since then my hair has reached my relaxed length and beyond. I'd say I got really serious and consistent about my haircare in August 06. I dedicated myself to protective styling and gentle haircare. I've noticed a huge difference in the last 6 months. Certain sections of my hair went from being an unhealthy 5 inches to a much healthier 7-8 inches in that time (and that includes 2 trims). Overall, I've managed to grow about 2.5 inches all around and have just surpassed shoulder length in the back.

What's worked?
Protective styles. Keeping my hands out of my hair and cutting down on manipulation and combing has helped tremendously.

What products stunted my growth?
None. The biggest thing that stunted my hair's growth was over manipulation and under moisturization.

Biggest difference?
Less breakage, thicker, longer hair.

Products that didn't work?
Queen Helene's Placenta Oil; Queen Helene's Jojoba oil; Softee's coconut oil; Pantene Hydrating curls; Nature's Gate Jojoba Conditioner

Products that work!
Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner (for co-wash); baking soda (for clarifying); Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner (detangling and deep conditioning); shea butter (added to protein conditioenr); WATER!!!!; glycerin (only in warm, humid weather); Cream of Nature shampoo; olive oil; coconut oil; castor oil (STAPLE!!)

I don't use all of these products in a single wash day. Last night I co-washed with the Suave Tropical Coconut and added some baking soda for clarifying. Then I used castor oil to seal in the moisture and that's it. I try to be low maintenance to avoid product buildup.

I started with ear/necklength now I'am neck to shoulderlength since I cut about 3 to 4 inches off in total.Oh and I started about 12 months ago.
What helped me?Not combing,wearing my hair up 99,9% percent of the time,no heat.
My biggest challenge??? Finding the balance between evening my hair out and going scissor happy,I don't know cutting my hair became my catnip.

Last edited:
I had shoulder length hair. Barely. It brushed the top of my shoulder. I started transitioning then and in the past 10 months, I've got 5 inches of growth (I did a BC at 4 1/2 inches). So my hair is thriving now that I've been taking care of it.

I can't wait to see how much growth I get by this time next year!

My hair was above my ears when I truly started caring for it. I mean it was always healthy, but I never paid it any attention. Just luck I guess that it was healthy even though I used heat almost everyday. Now it's past shoulder length, but it was past shoulder length when I joined LHCF, so the bulk of my growth was certainly before finding to LHCF.

What worked:
  1. NO DIRECT HEAT @ HOME! That means none! I only have direct heat on my hair when I go to the salon. And whether it's every 2 weeks or every other month, that's how often I have heat on my hair. Heat isn't destructive for ME (emphasis on ME), but it was possibly holding me back from the kind of retetion I wanted when I decided to grow my hair.
  2. Doo Gro products. Not mentioned much on this board, but I tried them when I first started growing my hair. I basically went from a chin length bob to past my shoulders in a year using Doo Gro product line at home... I mean my man would literally grease my scalp every Sunday night.
  3. Now that I've found LHCF, NTM is working to keep me with good moisterized hair.
  4. Moisterizing my hair and ends.
  5. Not trimming as often. ONly when needed.
  6. Low manipulation
What DID NOT work FOR ME:
  1. Doing too much. Trying every single thing mentioned on LHCF.
  2. Conditioner washes.
  3. The 2 above sum it up, but there were many things that fell into the first catagory.
    Oh yeah, forgot to add that transitioning DID not work for me. Although I loved my texture, I didn't appreciate loosing my thickness in the process of shedding and detangling relaxed vs. new growth.

When did you start to really care for it and how much has it grown since?
well i guess we could say that i was bottom of neck length this was summer 2006 about july... i dont know why it was soo short... but what can i do.... currently i am 2 ins form apl.( i hope, i suck at measuring)
to realize that it can work. i fall into the catagory of ladies who has NEVER had long hair. never longer than where i am now. It is difficult to overcome the thoughts that black women can't have long hair because of our type, but it is probably from our lack of healthy habits. Over the summer i had just come to the realization that i could only have long hair with weave and had prepared myself to shell out 800 bucks( i know i know a single,college student,living at home mom with 800 bucks laying around) to get something that looked natural( that fusion).... dear lord what was i thinking
those young micro braids will pull your hair out in a second, and the glued in weaves, and the blowfryer and flatfryer, Biotin( mY skin has never looked worse with it....

i'd say that surge plus 14 and the MTG helped me grow out my hair, Aphogee treatment has helped.i also like the ors replenish pak to deep con and roller sets
I want to try henna, and some keracare shampoos

Last edited:
I was about neck length when I started. I think I might be reaching BSL soon.
I think patience was the challenge I had and still have, since my hair is refusing to hit BSL. I was fortunate enough not to suffer any major set backs up to this point. I keep my regimen simple and basic. Its mostly just regular washing, deep conditioning, moisturizing and watching for any signs of protein shortage.

My hair was a little longer than neck length and looked like someone had been chewing on my poor little head:lachen: now its 2in past APL healthy and feirce *snap snap*.

when I started to care for my hair ... it was around July/August 2006 and my hair was brittle breaking and dried up!! it was skimpy and the length was back of neck slightly touching shoulder. Now 6 months later.. after much web info from a few hairsites and finding Cathy Howse.. my hair has made a complete recovery. I have kept my ends on my head instead of on the floor!! I still get shedding and breakage but nothing like it use to be. I have learned proper moisture/protein balance. My hair is now shoulder length and the sides are approximately 2 inches from my collarbone...and still growing. BUT the difference now is I am not breaking as fast as I am growing! I also found this forum when I was on Carolyn's Grays hairsite... and the good tips from this hair care forum I just work in to my regimine and I am now all set;) ..APL here I come!

HoneyDew said:
My hair is shorter in length, but MUCH healthier and thicker. I cut a lot and I am glad I did. My hair had much more thickness and body.

Your hair looks really thick and healthy in your FOkti! Nothing like a fresh start. :) You'll gain that length back soon, Im sure, but more importantly you have a wonderful new beginning!

the back was almost BSL and the front was nearly APL...pretty healthy but I wacked that ish down to 1/2'' as soon as I saw all the naturals on the board.

I never really had a challenge having long hair...even with the pressing combs my hair was a decent length. The problem was that it stayed the same length due too high heat and frequent trims...I finally started seeing length and more thickness when I got a relaxer. This was due to being obsessed with braidouts (pre hair boards...I just thought the crimps were cute :lol: ) and barely using heat.

nothing has stunted my growth except for excessive trimming.

When I first started (Dec. 2003) my hair was dry, overprocessed, breaking and resting on my kitchen area. Now it's hitting my shoulderblades..

Stretching between touch-ups

MTG - left my hair tangled and hard to comb and Surge - burned the hell out of my scalp:mad:

Phytorelaxer II,

I'm curious to see the difference you've experience in your hair since you began to care for it.
Hair is longer --kitchen area/edges are making a comeback:) .

Products that didn't work for me:
MTG, Surge, Nioxin:mad:

What WORKS
Profectiv Healthy Ends, Mango Butter, Wild Growth Oil, Emergencee/Bone Marrow Treatment, Aphogee and Miel y Leche conditioner, Scurl, bonnet hair dryer

What I want to try
Whatever conditioner that gives me slip

My hair isn't really "long" yet. It's APL, and was just touching my shoulders in 1/06, when I decided that I wanted to grow it long. The main thing that I did at that time, after cutting an inch off, was stop cutting it. I think my biggist challenge was getting to a point in my life's growth where I was okay with having my hair at whatever length I wanted it, and not caring what anyone else thought. When I came to the forum I was more looking for a group of women who had decided to grow their hair, than I was a regimen to grow hair.

The things that I've learned about here that have help my hair the most are adding CO washing to my regimen, and sealing my ends. My hair liked CO washing so much that I removed shampoo from my regimen. Another unexpected benefit has been laughter. Many of you ladies are comedians, and that has been a true blessing.

What DOESN'T WoRk:
Complicated Regimens
Infusium 23 (original)

What WoRkS
Water
Suave Professionals
Miss Keys 10 en 1 cond.
UBH Conditioner
MNT Conditioner (as leave-in)
UBH Moisturizer
CD - HHB
CD - HM
Aphrogee
Castor Oil

What worked:
Taking time out to care of my hair and believeing it CAN grow.:)
Less manipulation
Moiturizing
Frequent Washing
Less Heat
ACV rinses

What didn't work:
Neglecting my hair for too long periods of time.
Anything ORS
Infusium 23 - leaves my hair harder than average to comb when detangling with it in.
Brushing my edges while stretching - leads to hair breakage around edges (thank goodness I found this out earlier than later:) )

Lkaysgirl said:
I was about neck length when I started. I think I might be reaching BSL soon.
I think patience was the challenge I had and still have, since my hair is refusing to hit BSL. I was fortunate enough not to suffer any major set backs up to this point. I keep my regimen simple and basic. Its mostly just regular washing, deep conditioning, moisturizing and watching for any signs of protein shortage.

Are you texlaxed, natural or relaxed? Your hair is awesome! I love the fullness. I would like my hair to grow like this...;)

In the past few months, my hair has gone from right above the shoulder to halfway to BSL.

I decided about 2 weeks ago (smile) when I starting reading everything on this board. But, I had been trying to work on haircare without really knowing what I was doing for about 2 years.

I started using Nexxus shampoo and conditioner about 2 1/2 years ago. I had a Halle short cut and it grew to just below shoulder length. I didnt know any better though so I had been curling my hair daily the entire time.

After it started breaking...AGAIN. I decided to look for hair care info. (And) I found out my baby was a girl and wanted to learn for her sake.

I always loved Nexxus and that was a good product to me for so long. Now, I am trying (and really like Mane n Tail and KeraCare). Also, scurl & ORS Mayo. GOOD GOOD stuff.

When I joined, I was maybe neck length in the back, cheek length in the front. I'm now less than an inch away from BSL.

I go through phases with my hair. For a few months I will be obsessed with it (currently in an obsession phase) and then I'll forget all about it. Luckily, I know the basics during my down phases so that I'm still retaining length and healthy hair.

None so far.

Not so much as products but techniques such as airdrying, protective styles, baggie method, etc.

Length is the main thing. My hair maintains it's health very well and can take a lot of abuse. Now that I don't abuse it too much and don't cut it too frequently, I am seeing my hair longer than it's ever been.

I selected "other"

My hair was shoulder length when I decided to transition. My hair is now MBL reaching waist length.

I went from EL to bottom of NL in about 2 months. I am about 2-3 months away from SL and I can't wait!:grin:

Too much manipulation. I am leaving it alone these days (combing only 1x a day or every few days) and it has thickened all the way up.

Conditioners with too much petroleum. I had to get rid of ALL of them. For the past few months my hair and scalp has thanked me for it! This is not a product, but I was an everyday flat ironer..the thought of it makes me cringe now.:ohwell:

LACIO LACIO (for rollersets) and Trader Joes Nourish spa conditoners for leave ins. One of my past prob was breakage due to detangling, but these have helped tremendously. I also try and limit my flat ironing for length checks every few months.

RETAINING LENGTH! I don't mean to shout, lol, but I am very excited to see it growing nicely.

What works:
Co-washing
Roller setting
DCing often
Natural plant based products
Henna
Low mani

My hair laughed at:
Any kind of "grease" (goodbye!)

SL by March 2010!

How long was your hair when you decided to really start caring for it and how much has it grown since?

My hair was shoulder length when I started in July 2009. It has since grown to BSL (now just past it!) YAY!:grin:

Breakage from dryness. My hair (texlaxed now) was so I had to learn how to catch up on the moisture. :sad:

I can't really think of growth stunting. However, rosewater and glycerin mixes didn't do much for me. :nono:

Shampoo in general, now I use Baking soda and conditioner to clarify or use an ACV rinse after co-washing!

Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Finishing Lotion - very moisturizing all day long! Buns were finally pretty manageable!:weird:

Infusium 23 (original) + water: great strengthening moisturizer for me! Especially in twists.

Coconut oil! :clapping:I love this stuff, it helps with detangling, it keeps moisture in, my hair feels great with it! A nice light oil. Better for summertime because it solidifies once it is cold!

West Indian Castor Oil: It helps thicken up your hair!:afro:

Organics Leave-in Hair Mayonnaise: just found this as my hair LOVES protein and I love this as it detangles a treat!

ORS Replenishing conditioner::hair: light protein but very moisturizing. I could use this weekly or more and it works a treat!

to really start caring for it and how much has it grown since?

armpit length and bra strap now

moisture, shedding and breakage from life stress. I can never manage to get through a stressful event w/o it having a bad effect on my hair.

MTG, 911 emergencee leave-in, ANYTHING Profectiv I tried made my hair worse.

WGO, Silicon Mix leave-in, LeKair Cholesterol, ORS replinishing pak.

You know what else never worked with helping nurse my hair? The hot towel wrap technique I read on here months ago while I was a lurker. I have tried it 3 times and the results are still "blah." Oh well. :ohwell:

Your hair sounds like mine. Profectiv creams were too "proteiny" for my hair.

Back