How do you keep your hair smelling good?

FtrDrO

The "nice things SO says about your hair" http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=583807 got me thinking about what everyone uses to keep their hair smelling good. My hair smells nice and fresh on wash day of course but as the week goes on, not as much. How do you guys keep these men with their nose in your hair? :grin: Share your favorite products and tips!

ETA: Frequent washings are at the center of keeping a fresh head but the products are often what make the difference so can you please share which products you use that give you that long lasting scent please? Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't use leave-ins and wash my hair every 3-4 days, so the smell in my hair is the one I had on wash day. You'd think baggying would make it all musty and sweaty smelling but ironically, it seems to recycle my conditioner coz what my hair smells like when I take the cap out is the way it smelled when I washed and conditioned it. I once told how I used Pomegranate Organix and then woke up in the morning smelling this really sweet smell and thought hubby was preparing some really nice dessert-like fruity breakfast. Nada! Come to find it was I who was smelling so yummy!

So yeah, that's my secret: frequent washes, no products and baggying. The no product part also means hands and noses buried in my hair don't get covered in gunk. :lol:

well I used Oyin hair dew under BRBC and my hair ended up smelling just like fresh backed pancakes with syrup .... the men at work were rlly worked up over that lol.

My BF prefers floral sweet smells like darcys curling gel and HV whipped gelly.

the scent normally sticks arond for abt 3 days, and thats good enough for me.

I think the frequency of washing combined with the products used play a major factor in the smell of your hair. Co-washing every few days and great smelling leave-ins keep my hair smelling its best. After 3 days most of the smells fade.

sephora has a hair perfume spray that smells really nice. Oyin Handmade Hair Dew and Burnt Sugar Pomade left my hair smelling like cookies! my ex loved it!

In addition to washing as often as my hair can handle it -especially since I work out 4 days a week, I use rosemary oil in my scalp oils. In addition to that, all of my products smell good in one way or another.

I use Qhemet products. They have such a nice citrus smell that leaves my hair smelling fresh.

Oh yeah...I also wash, or cowash, every other day.

I use Shescentit's coco creme leave-in and the moisture mist daily.
To be honest, I only bought it because it smells so good.

Basically just washing and conditioning whenever it gets that "old" or oily hair smell. I also have used rosmeary or tea tree oil on the scalp to give it that fresh scent.

I cowash somewhat every three days. and I keep conditioner in my hair so it smells really good every single day. I am truly loving the CG method.

I co-wash and go daily, so my hair really doesn't get a chance to smell like anything other than conditioner and my oil. I think washing your hair at least once a week (or more depending on your workout schedule) should keep your hair smelling clean.

I don't use leave-ins and wash my hair every 3-4 days, so the smell in my hair is the one I had on wash day. You'd think baggying would make it all musty and sweaty smelling but ironically, it seems to recycle my conditioner coz what my hair smells like when I take the cap out is the way it smelled when I washed and conditioned it. I once told how I used Pomegranate Organix and then woke up in the morning smelling this really sweet smell and thought hubby was preparing some really nice dessert-like fruity breakfast. Nada! Come to find it was I who was smelling so yummy!

So yeah, that's my secret: frequent washes, no products and baggying. The no product part also means hands and noses buried in my hair don't get covered in gunk. :lol:

NO products at ALL? :shocked: You're natural too right Nonie? Does your hair still feel soft and behave properly without any products? How does your hair behave w/out any prdoucts in it? I know if I wore my hair naked after washing and conditioning, my hair would eventually start to feel so dry and hard. I need at the very LEAST a leave-in conditioner in my hair I think. :look:

For me personally, I LOVE Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar (Lavendar Vanilla scent). Anytime I put that moisturizer/leave-in in my hair EVERYONE always LOVES the way my hair smells. It really has a nice pleasant smell of vanilla and lavendar that a lot of people seem to love lol. :giggle: One time my sister had her nose IN my hair sniffing it lol! :lol:

I make sure my products smell good - individually and combined.

ITA
It makes things really simple that way. I CW at least 1-2x a week I also have stopped using any stinky Treatments or leave ins (Ahem MTG homemade sublimes sulfa mixes Aphogee protein 2 step)
I use AO HSR CW leave in and GPB as Protein conditioner
Extra virgin coconut oil organic it smells great and is a natural anti bacterial
KCKT KCCC or Eco styler argan oil smells good too.
My hair will always smell like 1 or a combo of these products and I don't use anything I can't stand to smell myself or that doesn't stay smelling good after 3 days of baggying.

Last edited:
My DH always tells me he loves the way my hair smells. I use Aussie Moist as my leave in, and I have ppo in my sulfur oil that I apply eod. (btw, my sulfur doesn't have an odor.)

Vatika Frosting
Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream

I also make my own roll-on perfume and sometimes I will take a few drops of my fragrance oil and add it to my sealant oil. For winter I'm wearing Gucci Envy so I like to make my hair smell like that too.

NO products at ALL? :shocked: You're natural too right Nonie? Does your hair still feel soft and behave properly without any products? How does your hair behave w/out any prdoucts in it? I know if I wore my hair naked after washing and conditioning, my hair would eventually start to feel so dry and hard. I need at the very LEAST a leave-in conditioner in my hair I think. :look:

For me personally, I LOVE Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar (Lavendar Vanilla scent). Anytime I put that moisturizer/leave-in in my hair EVERYONE always LOVES the way my hair smells. It really has a nice pleasant smell of vanilla and lavendar that a lot of people seem to love lol. :giggle: One time my sister had her nose IN my hair sniffing it lol! :lol:

Crystalicequeen123, I didn't know you asked me a question. Can you please type mention someone when you address them by typing @immediately before the name so they can get an alert that you're talking to them? TIA

My hair feels great. Most of the photos you see of my hair in twists or immediately out of twists or braided show my hair with no products on. I'm finger-combing bare hair here and I'm twisting bare hair here. The only time I use product is when I comb my hair out into an afro puff. Even Yassylane, one of my idols, doesn't use leave-in products. I think she may leave some conditioner in her hair nowadays IIRC but if you read her regimen, she has one as easy as mine. Only she wears her hair loose while I keep my in twists or braided. I baggy every night so my hair feels soft, just not greasy. It may feel dry to someone who's used to have layers of products, but I consider soft hair moisturized hair and mine is soft coz I infuse moisture every night by baggying and I wash twice a week.

Crystalicequeen123, I didn't know you asked me a question. Can you please type mention someone when you address them by typing @immediately before the name so they can get an alert that you're talking to them? TIA

My hair feels great. Most of the photos you see of my hair in twists or immediately out of twists or braided show my hair with no products on. I'm finger-combing bare hair here and I'm twisting bare hair here. The only time I use product is when I comb my hair out into an afro puff. Even Yassylane, one of my idols, doesn't use leave-in products. I think she may leave some conditioner in her hair nowadays IIRC but if you read her regimen, she has one as easy as mine. Only she wears her hair loose while I keep my in twists or braided. I baggy every night so my hair feels soft, just not greasy. It may feel dry to someone who's used to have layers of products, but I consider soft hair moisturized hair and mine is soft coz I infuse moisture every night by baggying and I wash twice a week.

Thanks [mention=14782919] Nonie[/mention]!! :grin:

Okay...NOW it's making more sense. IF you're baggying every night (which I assume is on damp hair) and washing 2x per week, then I can see how your hair wouldn't feel bad once it's rinsed and has zero product. I thought you were saying that you wash & condition your hair and put zero product on it AND go like that for the week day in and day out without infusing any type of moisture on it again until wash day! :lachen:

Whew! Okay...this makes sense now.

Thanks for the clarification! :)

Thanks @ Nonie!! :grin:

Okay...NOW it's making more sense. IF you're baggying every night (which I assume is on damp hair) and washing 2x per week, then I can see how your hair wouldn't feel bad once it's rinsed and has zero product. I thought you were saying that you wash & condition your hair and put zero product on it AND go like that for the week day in and day out without infusing any type of moisture on it again until wash day! :lachen:

Whew! Okay...this makes sense now.

Thanks for the clarification! :)

@Crystalicequeen123 no space between @ and name when you mention or it doesn't work. :grin: ), I do not baggy on damp hair. The thought of bagging damp hair makes me feel like I'll catch a cold just from thinking about it. LOL I put on a plastic cap on my dry hair just as it was when I got home from work.

I am not sure you get it because your last line is correct, except that instead of going a week, I go 3/4 days. I wash mid-week (shampoo, conditioner, ACV rinse) then on the weekend I wash again (shampoo, DC/condition, ACV rinse). In both cases, I airdry with NO product and go the whole day like that. Then at bed time I take a plastic cap or Saran wrap and put it over my dry hair w/o doing anything to it. Just cover it the way it was all day. I basically cover it the way some people cover theirs with a scarf. In the morning, I get up, take baggy off and go out with nothing on my hair. I don't spritz or do anything to it except style my twists. I don't get my hair wet at all until washday.

Does that make sense? Is that how you understood it?

So I BAGGY bare hair that is as dry as it's been all day. And I go day-in, day-out with bare hair that has no product exactly as it was after I washed it and airdried.

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you what I CANNOT use anymore as my DH has forbidden me to use:Jamaican Black Castor oil. He has never expressed an opinion on my hair products but has really put his foot down with JBCO. Even my mom used it yesterday and couldn't sleep because of the stink in her hair and washed it first thing in the morning.

@Crystalicequeen123 no space between @ and name when you mention or it doesn't work. :grin: ), I do not baggy on damp hair. The thought of bagging damp hair makes me feel like I'll catch a cold just from thinking about it. LOL I put on a plastic cap on my dry hair just as it was when I got home from work.

I am not sure you get it because your last line is correct, except that instead of going a week, I go 3/4 days. I wash mid-week (shampoo, conditioner, ACV rinse) then on the weekend I wash again (shampoo, DC/condition, ACV rinse). In both cases, I airdry with NO product and go the whole day like that. Then at bed time I take a plastic cap or Saran wrap and put it over my dry hair w/o doing anything to it. Just cover it the way it was all day. I basically cover it the way some people cover theirs with a scarf. In the morning, I get up, take baggy off and go out with nothing on my hair. I don't spritz or do anything to it except style my twists. I don't get my hair wet at all until washday.

Does that make sense? Is that how you understood it?

So I BAGGY bare hair that is as dry as it's been all day. And I go day-in, day-out with bare hair that has no product exactly as it was after I washed it and airdried.

Nonie

OHHHHHH!!!! Okay! NOW I understand correctly. Wow....I out to try that out! :look: So you twist your hair after washing on damp hair, then airdry w/no product, and put a plastic cap/baggy on your hair every night until wash day?

Wow....I'll have to see if this would work for me. Sometimes we CAN overdo it w/the products.

@Nonie

OHHHHHH!!!! Okay! NOW I understand correctly. Wow....I out to try that out! :look: So you twist your hair after washing on damp hair, then airdry w/no product, and put a plastic cap/baggy on your hair every night until wash day?

Wow....I'll have to see if this would work for me. Sometimes we CAN overdo it w/the products.

Crystalicequeen123 Uhmm...not exactly. I have been wearing twists 24/7 since August 2010. I have not worn my hair loose since then. So when I wash my hair, it's in twists (I don't twist after washing; it's in twist before, during and after washing, coz I never take it out of them).

This is my hair DCing on dry hair with AO GPB:
MyhairwithGPBappliedonDry-vi.jpg

This is my hair after I've finished my wash:
Dripdryingtwists-vi.jpg

This is my hair how I might style it after I towel dry and I let it airdry in the do:
AnotherTwistUpdo-vi.jpg

At night, I wrap it with Saran wrap:
SaranWrap-vi.jpg

In the morning, I take Saran wrap off. My hair had no product but it is very soft and moist and smells like the conditioner I last used (which is why I consider baggying some type of moisture infusion/conditioning because it's like it recycles the conditioner as well as encourages sebum production so that my hair is bathed in moisture). While my hair is moist, it's really easy to style so depending on how lazy I feel, I could just put on the clip as before or I could change it up a bit and put the clip in the back:

HairClip-vi.jpg

And how I keep my twists looking neat is whenever I'm watching TV, I will start feeling the roots of my twists starting from the back and if the twists feel loose, I'll undo one, finger comb, retwist. And so on. My TV show ends or I get bored, I stop...and I can coz all my hair is twisted so it's not like I can't stop when I feel like it. And when I next feel like playing with my hair, I'll know which twists haven't been redone coz the roots will be loose and so I continue from where I stopped, till all are done. My method of twisting keeps the twist looking neat so I can go for weeks working at this slow pace redoing them, because they don't ever really look bad. I just have HIH disease and love to play in it--which is a bonus coz it helps keep them looking nice.

So basically, I treat my twists as if they were locs. I wear them all the time, style them, wash in them, baggy them, etc.

I :love: Frank Juice to keep my hair smelling good. I also like some of the Curls for Target products i've used because they smell like cake:) I'm too tall for ppl to smell my hair all the time:look:...but when i hug ppl i have gotten compliments on how good i smell...its usually bc of my hair...i don't use perfumes all the time.

I wash every sat. and cowash every wed...

I also spray some body spray in my hair every now and then :sekret:

Vatika Frosting or Seyani Hair Butter. When I use them my hair always smells good. I wash once a week but I reapply oil or butter about every other night.

hmmm i have to try this sephora spray you guys are talking about,sounds yummy
i use cantu shea butter leave-in as not only my leave-in but also my daily moisturizer and it smells yummy so my hair always smells yummy.my hair has never smelled funky and i refuse to let it smell that way lol

Back