How Do You Define "Drink Lots of Water?"

araceli2418

I see many times people say they drink lots of water and I'm curious to hear just what each person considers "lots of water".

I drink half a gallon a day or, at least, most days. I've tried to drink a gallon a day more b/c I'm also working on my weight but it's not always easy or long lived, for that matter.

Even with half a gallon the bathroom trips can be ridiculous. I have a 34 oz cup that I fill twice so it's about half a gallon.

64oz in my book. At work I drink 12oz cups of water about 4 times so that's really six 8oz cups and when I get home I drink water again. I think I reach my 64oz quota most days. That's half gallon so that should be enough.

I think about 1.5 litres. Roughly half a US gallon or slightly less.
That's what the doc told me I needed to drink.

I find it very hard to drink all that water but I try

I drink about 80 ounces a day (2 liters while at work, about 16.9 ounces while at home). For the last two months, I try to drink nothing but water so I cut out soda and juices.

I strive for 100 oz (I'm also working on my weight). I think 64 oz should be the minimum for good health.

I drink 40oz-48oz of water per day. Water is the only beverage I drink. Occassionally I will have coffee.

ooo gallons and oz..its so confusing to me lol i drink between 1.5 to 3 litres a day (hope this doesn't confuse you) isn't yet second nature to me because drinking water really doesn't come naturally.
before i started giving myself targets with water i would drink next to nothing:nono:

64 Oz/half a gallon/1.5 liters is considered the healthy norm by most physicians. However, if you're trying to lose weight, grow longer healthier hair/skin/nails most nutritionists will tell you to drink between 100-120 oz of water a day.

So, if you fill a small drinking glass 12-15 times a day (either water or tea) you'll make it. I've been trying to alternate between drinking water and green tea. The green tea improves the look and feel of your hair/skin/nails while helping you reach your water quota. I've noticed better skin and more energy doing this on top of thicker hair!

Drinking enough water varies depending on body weight. A 300 lb person will need way more than someone who weighs 120 lbs. Rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces of water ( if you weigh 150 lbs, you need a minimum of 75 oz).

64 oz, but I HATE how much I have to go to the bathroom, so I end up not drinking ANYTHING all day until I get home at night.

To me 64oz is enough to be doing a good thing. You also have to be careful to not overdose on water, water intoxication.

To me, lots of water would be 10 or more glasses of water (at least 8 oz. each) or at least 80 oz. of water. The recommendation is for people to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day (64 oz. = 1/2 gallon). So, to me, lots of water is more than the minimal recommendation.

According to Dr. Oz :grin:

The Rule of Thumb is 1/2 your body weight in ounces.
Ex. Weight 150, then you need to drink 75oz.

Last edited:
i try to drink at least 64..i wake up and drink about 8oz and after exercise i drink a big 32 ounce and later on that day try to drink another 32 ounce. the bad part about drinking all that water is that i have to use the bathroom all the time..ugh.

Wow you ladies are really drinking alot of water.

What is your routine for drinking so much?

I have a 32oz plastic water bottle that I drink and 2 8oz bottles of water I drink and I have a hard time finding enough hours in the day to drink all of that. Water is the only beverage I drink.

What is the secret to finding the time to drink 75-100oz of water?

I've read that when you're drinking water regularly, even more than the recommended 64 oz a day, your body will get used to it and the incessant bathroom breaks will slow down but, goodness gracious, how long does it take? I get tired of living in the bathroom. :wallbash:

I have a plastic 32oz cup at my desk. I try to fill it at least 3 times a day sometimes 4. I also drink 2-3 cups of green tea inbetween my water.

I also drink water when I first wake up, in the evening and after/during workouts. I keep a gallon jug in my room.

I have a plastic 32oz cup at my desk. I try to fill it at least 3 times a day sometimes 4. I also drink 2-3 cups of green tea inbetween my water.

I also drink water when I first wake up, in the evening and after/during workouts. I keep a gallon jug in my room.

Whoa, you are a trooper. Just a gallon makes me feel washed out. Like a drowned rat.

Drinking enough water varies depending on body weight. A 300 lb person will need way more than someone who weighs 120 lbs. Rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces of water ( if you weigh 150 lbs, you need a minimum of 75 oz).

This is the guideline that I follow.

64 oz, but I HATE how much I have to go to the bathroom, so I end up not drinking ANYTHING all day until I get home at night.

i try to drink at least 64..i wake up and drink about 8oz and after exercise i drink a big 32 ounce and later on that day try to drink another 32 ounce. the bad part about drinking all that water is that i have to use the bathroom all the time..ugh.

Wow you ladies are really drinking alot of water.

What is your routine for drinking so much?

I have a 32oz plastic water bottle that I drink and 2 8oz bottles of water I drink and I have a hard time finding enough hours in the day to drink all of that. Water is the only beverage I drink.

What is the secret to finding the time to drink 75-100oz of water?

I've read that when you're drinking water regularly, even more than the recommended 64 oz a day, your body will get used to it and the incessant bathroom breaks will slow down but, goodness gracious, how long does it take? I get tired of living in the bathroom. :wallbash:

There was a post about this (in the health forum I think). Apparently your body can only absorb and use approximately 8 oz of water per hour. If you drink more than this in that time frame, then the rest will just come out the other end.

To avoid having frequent bathroom trips you need to space out your fluid intake. This include water and other beverages and also keeping in mind that some foods (i.e. soups, fruit, milk) have high water content as well.

Whoa, you are a trooper. Just a gallon makes me feel washed out. Like a drowned rat.

Well my work day starts at 6:30 and ends at 4:30. So I have alot of time to get those glasses in.

I don't drink the whole gallon in my room though, it's just avaliable for easy access.

SNC00141.jpg

White cup is water, blue is for my tea.

This is the guideline that I follow.

There was a post about this (in the health forum I think). Apparently your body can only absorb and use approximately 8 oz of water per hour. If you drink more than this in that time frame, then the rest will just come out the other end.

To avoid having frequent bathroom trips you need to space out your fluid intake. This include water and other beverages and also keeping in mind that some foods (i.e. soups, fruit, milk) have high water content as well.

That makes sense, I don't usually have to run to the restroom alot unless I drink my water really fast.

Back