How do ppl react to your hair?

People always ask me if im wearing a weave. Even when my hair was a short bob. A guy asked why was I wearing a short wig..lol. I guess because my hair gets super shiny sometimes. I hate that because it does look like a weave then. A few months ago I went to a hair school for a roller set, and they gave me a white lady. She said "Wow your hair is so thick and actually long! Most of the black girls that come in here have that glued or sewed in stuff our have their hair shaved off. I hardly ever see a black girl with her real long hair! Don't cut it off and don't put that fake hair in it ok?" I was thinking "Wth???" I didn't go back.

How do ppl react when they see your(real) hair.
Do they gawk,stare,try to touch it,compliment it?

Let's hear it ladies!!!!!!!:yep::yep:

All of the above. People are usually very complimentary. They ask questions and sometimes sneak a feel. The biggest range of responses I get is from other black women over all in the last couple of years their response has become generally more and more positive. In the past, they were everything from disdainful to amazed that I lived my life without a relaxer. One woman at work was shocked that I went on a cruise without a perm.

I get compliments and stared at a lot by black women. I'm only APL so it's maybe not the length but healthy looking relaxed hair is rare around these parts. I get stared at a lot in general but I'm not sure if just about hair, I do think that my current hairstyles are more flattering on me than any I've worn in the past. Men definitely react more to them as well.

Co-workers compliment my hair but thankfully there's few racially oriented questions or comments involved and no touching. A couple of my female co-workers have black female friends/acquaintances and know a little black hair lingo... it's interesting.

When I was relaxed and flat ironed I would get:
1. is that a weave?
2.Your hair is so long!
3.You should flat iron it more often! (I was lazy, so blow drying/flat ironing only happened after a relaxer to check length.

When I was relaxed and did wash n go's I would get:
1. When are you going to flat iron?
2. Are you wearing a wet and wavy? (Don't even know what that is.)

Now with my twa I get:
1.Your hair is so curly!
2.You look like a model!
3. Did you do something different to your hair? (This was asked by my mom. She is so oblivious)

People that see me normally are very complimentary when my hair is down, because they're so used to seeing it up. Strangers, if they dare to say anything, will often inquire whether it is my hair or not before complimenting. :ohwell:

I can't even blame them though. Weaves seem almost like the norm these days. I hate to admit that Chris Rock was more right than I was willing to see or believe at the time (concerning how many black women are wearing weaves). But I hate that because of him I can't get credit for having my real hair :lol: I think a lot of non-black folks assume that if we have any length of hair, that it's a weave, thanks to Mr. Rock.

I get a lot people wanting to touch it and root check me. I get asked why do I wear it up so much with it being so long and pretty. I also get questions from women asking what to do to grow out their hair. And I notice more clear women ask me if its all mine or do i have extensions added.

My hair is straight right now and it's amazing the amount of attention i've been getting!
Here's how people react to me now:

Men in general seem to love it! They're not shy to tell me how hot I am or how much they love my hair.

Women (black or otherwise) stare and stare but they never say anything. Funny story: I was at church the day after I got my hair done and I saw these 3 girls (teens to early 20s one white two black or at least mixed) staring at my the back of my head since I sat a few rows in front of them. When I got up and returned to my seat they were talking about me (or at least my hair). They must have been saying good things about it because we made eye contact and they didn't look guilty or look away. So I smiled at them and tried hard not to play with my hair. :lol:

My coworkers can't believe how nice my hair looks with color and straightened. They say I look younger and happier. Yay!

Oh i forgot to add:

I had 2 coworkers totally stop talking to or ignore me completely for almost 2 days after I debuted my new hair at work. Mind you, they always talked to me before.They finally said something to me when other coworkers started praising my hair in front of them. One of them has really long frizzy hair that she's always playing with, brushing, styling in front of us. She totally stopped paying attention to her own hair when she was ignoring me. Weird.

Most people at work know my hair is all mine now as I've been there so long although I still get the odd BW asking if it's all mine and what do I wash/relax it with/do with it to get so long.

My colleagues love my hair when I have a braidout, they rave, comment and gush over it, especially the non black ones.

I get asked by strangers (and even my own parents recently!!) if it's all mine and one woman asked if I did hair, said she loved my bounce! Lol. My 12 year old step daughter weave checked me last weekend and she's known me 7 years. Idk..

I get major side eyes from WW over how my hair bobs and swangs when I'm walking like that's their territory and they feel threatened especially when their hair is long but doesn't really move (and I love it) lol

Men say they love it one BM said that's one of the best things about you that your hair is natural (meaning real)..My SO sometimes jokes that it's not all mine when I've had a fresh relaxer.

My Indian close friend had a major problem with my hair when we first met as people were always complimenting my hair and she we would make odd comments (she admits she's the jealous type in general). Wow, I remember now it was one such comment she made back in 2008 about my hair being the same length for 'ages' (just above APL) that led me to step up my hair game and to finding LHCF just to prove a point....wow...I'd forgotten that...

She even booked a hair appointment for both of us for a wash, blow dry and style for my birthday that same year and I just know she was hoping to catch me out with a weave or tracks. Ha! The joke was on her as she had to pay £10 extra for my hair as I needed extra styling of course. Five years on I've finally educated her to the fact that black women's hair does grow!

I get a lot of staring from people and feel like a unicorn sometimes especially when it's flat-ironed but I'm used to comments on my hair since I was a child and just say thanks and change the subject if it gets too much.

I like challenging people's stereotypes on BWs hair and don't take it all too seriously. I'm too introverted to show off but would be lying if I said I don't feel a little proud of this feature I've been blessed with.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Arc

Last edited:
I get a lot of ppl asking me if my hair naturally curls "like that"...Yes...yes it does:look:...i get this question mainly from BW. I had a white co-worker ask me "how did you get your hair to do that? (meaning, curl)"....i told her its just naturally like that...i just use gel or a curl cream to hold em all in place:grin:

When i flat ironed back in February...i went to work the next day and NOBODY recognized me!:lol: Until they walked up to me thinking i was a new employee (bc of our work shirts) or a customer:lol:....that part was fun!

But most ppl who comment on my hair are fascinated by the curls:love:

I RARELY wear my real hair out. The only way for someone to see it is if that person is installing some weave, and they usually tell me how long and pretty it is. They always say, "I don't know why you're wearing weave. If I had your hair, I would wear it out ALL THE TIME."

I get compliments almost every day. Whether it's a braidout or a wash and go, someone always asks how I got my hair like that and what products do I use. When I wore my hair in coils, this older woman at church said while touching it, 'I love your hair. I don't understand how you did it. But I love it.'

Alot of other cultures are surprise at how fast my hair can grow & how soft it looks. However, sometimes I get negative comments too especially if I'm wearing it curly or in a fro. With every up there's a down :(

I am usually asked if I am wearing a wig or a weave? Sometimes I notice when I am talking to someone, their eyes deviate from my face to the top of my scalp and the sides of my face. When I wear it flat ironed, I sometimes get stopped in the store and asked who does my hair. I have people sometimes wanting to touch it.

I found out that one of my co-workers actually tried to bet another co-worker money, saying "I bet you, that's not her real hair. How much do you want to bet?" ....and was for real.

I had my back turned one day, and when I turned around, someone said they thought I was Indian :lol:....said my hair looks like Indian hair from the back.

Here is one negative, I've experienced. I had a friend (or so I thought), that was SUPER jealous to the 5th power of my hair. So much so, that our friendship ended. There were other factors, but my hair played a big part in it. Her self-esteem was low. She would give me compliments, but often times would just stare at my hair like a crazy person, because she couldn't stand hers.

It's really sad that some people act as though it is a miracle that Black women can grow long hair. We are living human beings with a scalp, hair follicles...etc. It's not rocket science. It's also sad that some Black women allow their envy and insecurities to affect how they respond to you. I can't tell you the ugliness that I've experienced, and I'm sure other women on this board has too.

I need to check out that Chris Rock movie. I've heard mixed reviews.

The positives responses outweigh the negatives though.:yep:

Last edited:
I am usually asked if I am wearing a wig or a weave? Sometimes I notice when I am talking to someone, their eyes deviate from my face to the top of my scalp and the sides of my face. When I wear it flat ironed, I sometimes get stopped in the store and asked who does my hair. I have people sometimes wanting to touch it.

I found out that one of my co-workers actually tried to bet another co-worker money, saying "I bet you, that's not her real hair. How much do you want to bet?" ....and was for real.

I had my back turned one day, and when I turned around, someone said they thought I was Indian :lol:....said my hair looks like Indian hair from the back.

Here is one negative, I've experienced. I had a friend (or so I thought), that was SUPER jealous to the 5th power of my hair. So much so, that our friendship ended. There were other factors, but my hair played a big part in it. Her self-esteem was low. She would give me compliments, but often times would just stare at my hair like a crazy person, because she couldn't stand hers.

It's really sad that some people act as though it is a miracle that Black women can grow long hair. We are living human beings with a scalp, hair follicles...etc. It's not rocket science. It's also sad that some Black women allow their envy and insecurities to affect how they respond to you. I can't tell you the ugliness that I've experienced, and I'm sure other women on this board has too.

I need to check out that Chris Rock movie. I've heard mixed reviews.

The positives responses outweigh the negatives though.:yep:
Relentless Oh yeah there threads about the ugliness that members experience over hair. I could bump a few if you want.

I saw that Chris Rock movie and liked it. I didn't learned any hair care tips but I was entertained.

" Your hair's long!"
Its long compared to when it was chopped off in 2010, but not in the grand scheme of things...

Back