How do you know your hair hates cones??

my hair is fine with cones BUT i'm not fine with the build-up. i fell in love with ntm silk touch and used it daily but the build-up. i'm now looking for another moisturizer. i'm trying out jane carter nourishing hair cream until the next wash and hopefully beyond. if it doesn't work, i'll likely just have to clarify every wash, which i don't want to do but we'll see.

I can get away with cones in shampoos and conditioners. But leave-ins and styling products are another story. I think the biggest difference is if the styling product has cones and water. If it has both, then my hair will be dry, dull, and start to break.

I know for a fact my hair hates them. It never fails, my hair will feel awesome after I use a serum or heat protector that has them in it, and then I'll shampoo it out. No matter how much I wash I can't bring my hair back to balance. It takes, like, two weeks, and during that time my hair feels hella dry and rough. Then after a while of me going back to my no-cone routine my hair feels so soft and moisturized. I really do hate them, but I don't know how else to protect my hair when I flat iron. I'm probably going to limit flat-ironing to once a year just because of the cone situation.

I know for a fact my hair hates them. It never fails, my hair will feel awesome after I use a serum or heat protector that has them in it, and then I'll shampoo it out. No matter how much I wash I can't bring my hair back to balance. It takes, like, two weeks, and during that time my hair feels hella dry and rough. Then after a while of me going back to my no-cone routine my hair feels so soft and moisturized. I really do hate them, but I don't know how else to protect my hair when I flat iron. I'm probably going to limit flat-ironing to once a year just because of the cone situation.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me when I washed on Thursday. I couldn't stand the dull-looking puffiness so I just washed it today. I guess serums are out for me.

I can get away with cones in shampoos and conditioners. But leave-ins and styling products are another story. I think the biggest difference is if the styling product has cones and water. If it has both, then my hair will be dry, dull, and start to break.

This is what happened with my hair when I used the V05 Miracle Mist. My hair became hard almost instantly & it started to break. It's upsetting b/c that's the only time I used it, plus I have the Fantasia IC Heat Serum that I can't use for the same reason.

I've heard that CD Mimosa Hair Honey is good for flat-ironing, so I'll try that the next time I straighten my hair--which will be towards the end of this year.

I've heard that CD Mimosa Hair Honey is good for flat-ironing, so I'll try that the next time I straighten my hair--which will be towards the end of this year.

My stylist uses that sometimes when she flat iron's my hair. I've seen her alternate between that and Aveda anti-humectant pomade. Last Saturday she used the Mimosa and my natural AND relaxed hair (I'm transitioning) is sooooo soft!

my hair loves cones..... haha One of my fav Matrix conditioners is laden with cones. My chinese friend gave it to me after she said it weighed down her hair.

It truly depends on what kind. Some leave my hair Sahara dry and hard while others I have no problem using.

My stylist uses that sometimes when she flat iron's my hair. I've seen her alternate between that and Aveda anti-humectant pomade. Last Saturday she used the Mimosa and my natural AND relaxed hair (I'm transitioning) is sooooo soft!

This is great to know. My friend bought me the 4 oz. jar on Saturday (she's the best). I'm planning to flat iron my hair for Labor Day.

Thanks for the info!

I love HE LTR leave-in so much, and plenty of my fave conditioners have cones (including my new BIG fave Yes to Carrots Mask)...so I think I like 'um!

my hair is fine with cones BUT i'm not fine with the build-up. i fell in love with ntm silk touch and used it daily but the build-up. i'm now looking for another moisturizer. i'm trying out jane carter nourishing hair cream until the next wash and hopefully beyond. if it doesn't work, i'll likely just have to clarify every wash, which i don't want to do but we'll see.

ETA: apparently, my hair is not fine with cones after all. a few months back, i noticed that my hair was drier than usual and shedding like crazy. so, i'm cutting out the cones and seeing what happens in the next few months.

does anyone have a recommendation for a heat protectant without cones? does it even exist? i only use heat to blowdry because airdrying is not my friend..

hmm
i suspect my hair doesn't like cones either but im not sure
ntm silk touch did nothing for me
i have to check if carols daughter hhb has cones in it...

This thread just opened my eyes!! I've had the WORST dry, puffy, rough hair lately and I couldn't figure out why. Yesturday, after reading about porosity for an hour or two, i went out and bought Roux Porosity control (havent used it yet).

But now, I just discovered that the leave-in I've been using for wash n gos and twist outs (sunsilk captivating curls) has cyclopentasiloxane as the second ingredient after water.

Ughhhhh!

Back