How do people react to your hair now that it's longer?

CarmelCupcake

hey guys... those of you who have reached your hair goals, do you receive positive attention/ positive feedback from strangers/ friends/ family? Any not so positive reactions/feedback

Interesting question. I haven't reached all of my hair goals, but I've had some reactions from family and friends:

- "Your hair looks very long! What is that - lace front?"
- "Is that your hair? You need to show me what you've been doing to it!"
- "Your hair looks nice"
- "Oh but you had nice hair anyway" (nah, I had to work hard for this, my hair doesn't just get here by accident!)
- no response at all:lol:

It's been positive so far, my friends are more fazed than my family, a lot of my family don't have to work as much as I do for healthy longer lengths.

Interestingly, all other I interact with have noted my hair growth and health (Just applied a keratin treatment). My mother has ignored my progress. My hair is the longest it has ever been since I was 12 years old, so the growth is noticeable. From the crown of my head my hair rests on my shoulder, so it is definitely noticeable.

Meanwhile, I offer to provide assistance with the learning process with anyone interested in retaining length or achieving healthy hair.

Do you receive positive attention/ positive feedback from strangers/ friends/ family?
I get alot of attention from people, curly or straight but more so when its straight. Probably because you can see the length better. The only thing I don't like is when stranger or people I'm not very close to touch my hair. Blame the Caribbean girl in me that believes in bad karma from people's hands going straight to my brain LMAO

Any not so positive reactions/feedback?
Hmmm... I can't think of one negative feedback. I guess the only thing people say to me that's somewhat negative (but not really) is "that's a lot of hair! Couldn't be me! I don't have the patience" and they're probably right.

I've found that, the longer my hair gets, the less people comment or compliment me on it…I think that most people assume that it's a sew-in because it's so long. :lol:

I have some friends who will give complements and others who just keep quite - even when other said friends are making a fuss about my hair :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Interesting. LOL.

ETA I hope more people chime in. People have gotten way too familiar and I am trying to balance the "please don't touch my hair or weave check me" without coming off like a b-. LOL.

I don't count in people's minds because I have "good hair". I am dismissed as an exception, the mythical unicorn lol. I rarely get compliments on my straight hair, but I do get a lot of stares/attention from men of all races which can be problematic as I am a married woman.

The typical response is either silence or "Is that all your hair?" This usually comes after they weave check me or after I correct them for assuming it is a weave.

I've found that, the longer my hair gets, the less people comment or compliment me on it…I think that most people assume that it's a sew-in because it's so long. :lol:

Yea, thats why i was wondering how other peoples' experiences are....I've noticed that the longer my hair gets, the less compliments/comments i get as well....not that I expect it....I just thought it was kinda odd

Last edited:
People usually compliment me when my hair looks nice. The length doesnt matter. Its all about the health, shine and the style. Ive been getting compliments and weave checks since I was neck length. Around here shoulder lrngth is looong. I live in Texas btw

I get it all. Most times people are trying to figure out if it's real. Some people ask, alot just stare. Even women I've gone to church with finally ask after all the months of staring. I get a lot of nice compliments & I also get blatant anger most times its from random strangers wearing bad weaves, I guess they are the ones who can tell its real. Lol.

Last edited:
I have some friends who will give complements and others who just keep quite - even when other said friends are making a fuss about my hair :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Yes! The same thing has happened to me. Its not that I expect people to comment on my hair. Its just weird in a conversation where one excited friend is talking about my hair and the other changes the subject abruptly when asked to comment on my hair.

Hi Ladies I get checked all the time and my hair is not that long just stop cutting it and I'm dark skin so this can't be all my hair, y'all even my mother in law in Nov family dinner I wore it down she pulled my hair then asked was it all mine/damn.thats the profile pic up now

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I'm around BSL (haven't had a length check in over 2 years) from what I can see when I manually stretch my hair.

In general, I'm getting more stares from women with bad weaves and men from other races....not sure what the latter are wondering.

In general, on a great curly hair day, black women will ask if my hair was relaxed and later braided, or natural. That's a bit strange to me.

I've had my hair tugged (ex white boyfriend) and been weave checked. The tug gave me a chuckle (it was a friendly tug). Weave check was weird.

Wow...I'm surprised that so many people have the nerve to weave check people...I guess I'm lucky that someone hasn't weave checked me...maybe because I'm in the detroit area....:lol:

Last edited:
I get it all. Most times people are trying to figure out if it's real. Some people ask, alot just stare. Even women I've gone to church with finally ask after all the months of staring. I get a lot of nice compliments & I also get blatant anger most times its from random strangers wearing bad weaves, I guess they are the ones who can tell its real. Lol.

ManeStreet, u get blatant anger from strangers. That's awful. What do they say/do?

I get stares with my curly hair from people thinking its a weave or wig. My grey hair gives it away.

When it's straight, I get hugs from family where their hands stray to palm my scalp and hairdressers play in it and I feel other customers staring at me.

I'm only BSL which is not that long in LHCF world.

A girl I didn't know before my hair was "long" asked me if I had any tracks in it, idk if that counts lol.
My aunt saw me the other day and I had had a roller set done like two days before. I was just oiling and bunning pretty much the whole time, so some real nice curls set in in the bottom. When she saw me she was like oh you got another weave put in, I really like it, it looks pretty. I was like auntieee this is MY hair :grin: she ran her fingers through it and was like omg it's grown so much! finally coming back after all these years! good job! lol :lol:

"Is that all yours?"
"What are you mixed with?" ( really? Do I have to be mixed to have long hair??..no!)
Other than that, I don't get any mean comments

Most people don't know my hair is "outsideworld long." I wear it up in twists braided into a bun pretty much 100% of the time. When I do wear it out, it is not straightened, so it is either a twist out or afro, which hits pretty much shoulder length. Therefore it is never visibly long. So far, I've done one straightened length check, which I only showed to a couple family members/friends. They were astonished and started asking me all sorts of questions as to how I got my hair "so long." Very positive.

Well ladies I have heard it all !!!! I started a new job at the hospital today .Lisa I meet her today my hair was out and in full swing she asked who did my invisible sew in I said what!! What is that honey this is all mine mine. I had to prove it!!! l have had two sew in before and they were short, my hair looks long to other people but not to me when I get to waist length then I got some hair APL is a good now I want more and I lost 6 inches this year. I always where my hair up and tucked in. over processing broke and thin my ends I had to cut. I sill got some more to cut.Thanks to all u ladies i will grow it back

Sent from my Nexus 7 using LHCF

I get a TON of comments when I flat iron my hair (which is only 2-3 times a year). My hair is texlaxed with lots of shrinkage and I bun it up every day. I work in the operating room, so we keep our hair up and covered all day anyway. I am the only BW there so, I am surrounded by clear folks who all obviously believe in the old stereo type of black women can't grow hair. I have the second longest length there and I am just brushing BSL (which is actually closer to MBL as I wear my bra very low).

I stare at their hair all the time and most of them have such flat, limp, lifeless hair. Well, the last time I straightened my hair, we were sitting around chatting at lunch and one of the girls was discussing how slow her hair grows and she wished she could donate to Locks of Love but she would be bald if she did (she is barely shoulder length). I normally stay out of their hair convo's but I spoke up and said I had thought of doing that one day. This girl gives me the side eye and says "You couldn't do it either, your hair isn't long enough". I just casually responded "Oh really? I thought it only had to be 10 inches" while reaching up and unpinning my hair. It fell in lovely shiny waves, hanging over the back of the chair. They lost it. All they could do was stare and say "wow! we never knew it was that long!" I thoroughly enjoyed it :lol: Locks of Love girl never said another word, but she stares at my ponytails all the time.

When I straightened my hair when it was BSL, and I didn't get a single comment :lol:. If I was in ABQ again (where WL-HL isn't that uncommon), I would understand. Not saying that my hair was all that fabulous or anything, but for ladies who get silence, I think it's from people assuming that it's obviously a weave. There's a maybe it's real, maybe it's not length (and thickness). Then there's the "ain't no way that's her hair" length :lachen:. Though I used to get weave checked wearing wash n'gos, so it wouldn't be surprising with straight hair.

Now that I'm bald I get glances, people sneaking looks, and stares but no one (specifically classmates) will just say something :lol:

Back