High Heels and Blow Pops

GoingNatural

http://carolynedgar.wordpress.com/2011/07/17/high-heels-and-bjs/

Every other day, a new article appears somewhere in the blogosphere, promising to tell women the keys to finding and keeping a man. To summarize:

1. Step up your personal appearance game: lose weight, then put on makeup, a tight dress and a pair of high heels, because men don’t like girls in sweats, baseball caps and sneakers.
  2. Step up your kitchen game: cook for your man and fix his plate. If you won’t, someone else will.
  3. Step up your coloring game, especially the blow pops. And work on your movie star skills. If you don’t, someone else will.

If only it were so easy.

Never mind that there are fashionable women who keep it cooking in the kitchen and the bedroom, but are without a steady partner. Never mind that there are women who stay in sweats and don’t cook, but who are happily married or in a long-term relationship. Reality doesn’t matter. The message to women is always: whatever you’re doing, you’re doing it wrong.

I joked on Twitter that I should start a class, “Cooking in High Heels + BJ Lessons.” Sadly, if such a class existed, it would sell out. Women would sign up hoping to learn to look and cook like Giada De Laurentiis, and men would sign their wives and girlfriends up, like “See! This is what you need to do!”

Problem is, you can own a closet full of Louboutins, be a master chef and suck lollipops like a pro, and be lonely or unhappy in your current relationship. The key isn’t sexy footwear, plate fixing or bedroom tricks. Those things certainly don’t hurt, but they’re not enough.

The secret to being in a happy relationship is finding a compatible partner. And there is no one way to do that. It starts with a combination of attraction, shared values, and mutual respect. Understand what your own wants and needs are, then don’t settle for less.

When you’re in a relationship with someone you care for, showing your appreciation for each other comes easy. I love to see my married co-workers changing out of their casual Friday slacks into a cute dress at the end of the workday, because it’s “date night” with the hubby.

People who enjoy cooking love to make something special for their beloved. Cooking is one of many small ways that you can show your appreciation for your partner. But if you don’t cook, there are many other ways to show your appreciation for your mate.

Good coloring doesn’t require you to puncture your esophagus with his genitals (although there’s nothing wrong with that, if that’s your thing). That said, if you like each other – not just love, but really enjoy being with each other – you’ll want to take care of each other’s needs, wants and desires as well. You can tune out the chatter about what you should be doing and focus on doing what he actually likes – and vice versa.

Even finding that combination of attraction, values and mutual respect doesn’t guarantee lifelong, till-death-do-us-part, diamond anniversary happiness.
As anyone who has ever been in a relationship for longer than one year knows, it can be hard to keep the magic alive over time. These “how to get a man” pieces might work better as reminders to women and men alike who are in long-term monogamous relationships of ways to maintain your connection.

If you are seeking relationship advice, try consulting with a relationship coach. When I was finally ready to jump back into the dating pool – five years after my divorce - I worked with “The Modern Day Matchmaker,” Paul C. Brunson. Brunson helped me identify the values that were important to me, which in turn helped me zero in on the qualities that mattered most in a partner.

Although Brunson didn’t match me with my current partner, his advice helped me figure out what worked and didn’t work for me. For example, online dating never worked for me, but going out – often alone – to do things I enjoyed, turned out to be a great way to meet people.

Some people find the proliferation of dating sites, books, blogs, etc. devoted to providing relationship advice annoying. They’re not going anywhere, though. So if you read them, use those suggestions that speak to you for personal self-improvement. Whether it’s losing weight, learning how to cook, learning bedroom circus tricks, or improving your fashion sense – if it makes you feel better about yourself, it will probably lead to your projecting a greater sense of confidence as you go about in the world.
And confidence, my friends, is sexy.

Last edited:
I've always found the "If you don't, someone else will" statements annoying. It's just an excuse to have women compete and do things for me that they are uncomfortable with.

I've always found the "If you don't, someone else will" statements annoying. It's just an excuse to have women compete and do things for me that they are uncomfortable with.

What of the women who have poor lovers or lovers who aren't willing to please them in the ways they want? I doubt they stay with them, so it's not always women who have to have some measure of sexual flexibility to maintain good relations. Some men are willing to go all out to keep their partners happy, too.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

But how are we any different? If he isn't fulfilling my needs, I will start looking elsewhere...

If anything I think the statement reinforces choice of mates, not competition amongst potentials.

The way you got him is the way you need to keep him.

If you got him being Betty Crocker you better stay being Betty Crocker.

If you got him at size 2 you better not climb to the double digits; heck you better not go pass a size 6.

If you got him by pulling all your coloring tricks out of your bags, you better invent new tricks.

Don't waste all you efforts into getting him and have nothing left to keep him.

I definitely understand where you are coming from. But I do feel that I want my man to always 'compete' for me. Laziness in maintaining my interest over the years, especially in marriage, can lead to some bad things including my wondering eye. The same goes for me.

Though I know there's no guarantee with a marriage, I want us both to always 'compete' for each other and remind the other daily why we choose each other.

I didn't get the whole "sacrifice your morals" vibe from this article.

I agree with it. People do the right things with the wrong people, and fuss about getting the opposite results that they set out for.

Know you're worth, and spend time with someone who is compatible enough with you to appreciate it. Stop trying to fix brothas up that aren't even for you.

Dis ish rite hur...

:yep:

If you got him at size 2 you better not climb to the double digits; heck you better not go pass a size 6.

If you got him by pulling all your coloring tricks out of your bags, you better invent new tricks.

This is so true. So you're saying...

I shouldn't cook for him.

Stay a size 12 and get small afterwards.

Just do missionary positions.

I got you Windsy!! WE ARE <<HERE>>

I'm just kidding........:lachen:

Here's hoping the men are making just as much effort as the women should be. :look:

:yep: ma'am.....I make sure my S/O know that I expect to be treated the same way or better and I do let him know when standards are starting to lax.

I can truly say that over the past 2 years he's been taking it up a notch as time goes by.

This is so true. So you're saying...

I shouldn't cook for him.

Stay a size 12 and get small afterwards.

Just do missionary positions.

I got you @Windsy!! WE ARE <<HERE>>

I'm just kidding........:lachen:

:lachen: I have a gf that told me she won't loose weight until she gets in a relationship. I was like :look:.

What of the women who have poor lovers or lovers who aren't willing to please them in the ways they want? I doubt they stay with them, so it's not always women who have to have some measure of sexual flexibility to maintain good relations. Some men are willing to go all out to keep their partners happy, too.

I think you make a good point in your post, but the "if you don't do it someone else will" threat, IME, is directed at women waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than men. And, again IME (read: based on what I've heard other women say about how they conduct themselves in relationships), it seems that the number women who fake "it" to spare an ego are running neck and neck with those who make don't tolerate selfishness and poor performance in the bedroom.

Here's hoping the men are making just as much effort as the women should be. :look:
While things have DEFINITELY gotten better over the years, I still have a HUGE issue with the belief (of some) that men are the only ones who want to receive pleasure in a manner they find pleasurable. Every time I hear say someone imply that ALL men need is sex and ALL women need is love I want to :pullhair:. While romantic gestures are appreciated, for me, all the hand holding, flowers, candy, cards, and candlelight in the WORLD will not to take the place of someone who values and works to provide physical pleasure.

you know why they always tell women what to do or how to develop and not men? Because men don't need to--everything is in their favor. Women have biological clocks and want to get married. Most men can get all those benefits without the want or need for marriage or a defined/committed relationship.

So keep waiting for men to change or put in as much pre-dating effort and continue to be single

I think you make a good point in your post, but the "if you don't do it someone else will" threat, IME, is directed at women waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than men. And, again IME (read: based on what I've heard other women say about how they conduct themselves in relationships), it seems that the number women who fake "it" to spare an ego are running neck and neck with those who make don't tolerate selfishness and poor performance in the bedroom.

And I shed a tear for those women who have to fake it :nono:

But you are right because by and large, it seems that sex is more important to men. And yet I can only wonder if at some level, women are socialized to believe that they are not supposed to enjoy it as much as men? Not all women, no, but many? Some?

But you are right because by and large, it seems that sex is more important to men. And yet I can only wonder if at some level, women are socialized to believe that they are not supposed to enjoy it as much as men? Not all women, no, but many? Some?

Adding my tears to yours.

and yes many women are socialized to believe that flickery; look at some of the responses here when a woman says that she can and will do casual because she wants it.:nono:

I really wish women weren't like this; I somehow believe that most would be happier individuals if they were enjoying the benefits of the 3S (sleep, sh!t, sex) regularly!!!

I think that definitely applies to some people, but I also think catering to the male ego is a huge part of it. I don't care if you're male or female, anything worth doing is worth doing well. If I'm doing something that's making DH :yawn: I WANT him to tell me and I ALWAYS want him to be honest. If a man :cry2: or :angry2: when his partner is honest, that's HIS issue to resolve and women need to stop taking ownership of men's insecurities.

I think that definitely applies to some people, but I also think catering to the male ego is a huge part of it. I don't care if you're male or female, anything worth doing is worth doing well. If I'm doing something that's making DH :yawn: I WANT him to tell me and I ALWAYS want him to be honest. If a man :cry2: or :angry2: when his partner is honest, that's HIS issue to resolve and women need to stop taking ownership of men's insecurities.

Honest communication about these things would definitely stave off a bunch of crap down the road :yep: Maybe partners withhold their feelings out of fear of hurting the other, only to succumb to acting out later because they were too lazy and too scared to do the right thing from the start. Or maybe they try and it falls on deaf ears and they simply give up and act like droids in the relationship until they both get fed up and accuse one another of being inconsiderate.

you know why they always tell women what to do or how to develop and not men? Because men don't need to--everything is in their favor. Women have biological clocks and want to get married. Most men can get all those benefits without the want or need for marriage or a defined/committed relationship.

So keep waiting for men to change or put in as much pre-dating effort and continue to be single

This is the mind game they play. Women need to realize that they have all the power.

I think sometimes people forget that statement goes both ways. If my man does not appreciate me, love me, and respect me, another one will. Relationships are a two way street. The man is not the only one that needs to be kept happy.

Back