Hide Your Hair For 6 Months Challenge: June 15 - December 15

I miss regular cowashing, and I need a good moisturizer. I must be overdoing it with the coconut/olive oil mix because it feels as though the oil is just sitting on my hair. I don't know, maybe this is all part of the process and I just needed to vent. I'm not at all dissatisfied with my progress. I'm just trying to figure out some strategies to help me maintain and retain, I guess.

My1goodnerve, I am new to this hair journey and I came across a thread about protein and moisturizers. According to author, oils are for sealing in the moisture. You have to moisturize your hair before applying oils. Oils are not for moisturizing. This was new to me.
Here's the thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

Stay encouraged!
HTH

Thanks dr.j. I love sealing with castor oil, but I thought that coconut and olive oil were two oils proven to penetrate the hair shaft and not to be used as sealants. I'll do some more research.

Awwww thanks hun......loving your big braid!
Okay, so I tried a new bun this week. Pics just for you Ms_B!!!

SOMETIME before this challenge is over, I plan to wear one french braid. Here was my first attempt at one. Hopefully I'll perfect it before the challenge is over.

Last edited:
I'm going to be wiggin' it for the last four weeks of this challenge. I just finished washing, deep conditioning and braiding my hair. I plan to keep the cornrows in for the next four weeks as I rock my wig.

SOMETIME before this challenge is over, I plan to wear one french braid. Here was my first attempt at one. Hopefully I'll perfect it before the challenge is over.

These styles are gorgeous Ms_Twana. I wished I could french braid like this. I think that you did a great job.

I did a heenara henna gloss treatment earlier today and it was so soft, possibly because of all the no-cone conditioner I added to it.

I DC'ed with some Jason Naturals Sea Kelp Conditioner mixed with coconut oil and a tiny drop of Alterna Enzyme Therapy Hemp Repair conditioner and is about to wash it out right now.

After my Dc, I will be wigging it out again.

Less than a month to go ladies! We are almost at the finish line!!

I know. I'm super excited. I can not wait to see all the updates on Dec. 16. I'm tempted to wake up at midnight just to post my pic. :lachen:

This will be the very first challenge that I followed through on. I'm so proud of myself. And I really think I'll be bunning most of the time after the challenge ends anyway. Simply because I'm lazy. :lachen:

Awwww thanks hun......loving your big braid!

These styles are gorgeous Ms_Twana. I wished I could french braid like this. I think that you did a great job.

Thanks ladies. That was my first attempt, hopefully I'll get better.

I was curious about this...The 15th falls on a Tuesday! I'm in a sew-in which is going to take some time to take down, wash/condition, straighten, etc. Im not sure about anyone else but I actually have to plan "hair days" around my work schedule.:spinning:

So I guess my questin is...Do we need to have pics posted by Dec 16th? (If so, I'll need to do my hair the weekend prior not following) :yep:

I know. I'm super excited. I can not wait to see all the updates on Dec. 16. I'm tempted to wake up at midnight just to post my pic. :lachen:

Wowzers at that big ole' thick braid! Your bun also looks cute and there is some serious length going on in those twists! Congrats on starting and nearing completion of a great challenge.

OMG!! I can't believe I have made it this far!! OMG!! I just realized I will be on a cruise on the day we are supposed to reveal so I wont end up with my update pics until January 1st!! What a way to begin the year! OMG! I gotta find a stylist by then! I been in a wig since the 12th of June! I've gotten very lazy...

I'm still hanging in there hiding my hair with half wigs until end of the challenge. I can't wait for it to be over so I can reveal my hair!!!

I was curious about this...The 15th falls on a Tuesday! I'm in a sew-in which is going to take some time to take down, wash/condition, straighten, etc. Im not sure about anyone else but I actually have to plan "hair days" around my work schedule.:spinning:

So I guess my questin is...Do we need to have pics posted by Dec 16th? (If so, I'll need to do my hair the weekend prior not following) :yep:

Good question. You can go ahead and prepare your hair the weekend prior, but just don't post pics until the 16th. You can go ahead and reveal it to everyone IRL then too. That's probably what I'm going to have to do. I definitely won't be able to wash, dc, rollerset, and flat iron my hair during the weekday. :nono:

Wowzers at that big ole' thick braid! Your bun also looks cute and there is some serious length going on in those twists! Congrats on starting and nearing completion of a great challenge.

Thanks hun. :grin:

OMG!! I can't believe I have made it this far!! OMG!! I just realized I will be on a cruise on the day we are supposed to reveal so I wont end up with my update pics until January 1st!! What a way to begin the year! OMG! I gotta find a stylist by then! I been in a wig since the 12th of June! I've gotten very lazy...

DANG how long will you be cruisin??? I'd be sick all over the place on a boat for that long. LOL!!!

I am going to make sure I make an appt to get my hair relaxed and rollerset on the 16th, luckily there is no school for me that day and I can be the first person in.

Im trying to see if I wanna let her do her usual with her products or if I wanna bring some stuff of my own in.
Like I havent done that protein after the was of relaxer and before neutralizer (Aphogee 2 min mixed with NPF)
And DC for my 20 mins with uhhhhh IDK maybe SE Megasilk if I dont use it all up before.

I have never used my own products at the shop plus im kinda scared I wasnt have that flow since my hair is so fine. MMMMmmmm decisions decisions.........

Last edited:
My hair appointment is all set for December 23rd. I am not going to relax though, just going to get it straightened with heat. I can't wait to wear my hair down! It has been over a year of protective styling for me!

Still bunning pretty much every day. I have no idea if I've made any progress or not but I'm really excited about the reveal anyway.

The other day someone posted "Is there a Hide Your Hair til Jun '09 Challenge?" I'm thinking about jumping on board with this as well but I also want to enjoy my length from this challenge! I can't wait to see everyone's results!!!!

Same here!!!

Took down my sew-in last week and had it re-installed the same day. I did not take pics of my hair but it seemed longer though the ends seemed thin and rageddy. But I attribute that to not having had a trim for a while. I plan to trim in December.

In a bun.

Exactly 4 MORE WEEKS to go!!!! :yep:

Not that this hasn't been fun, but man I'm ready for this challenge to be over! :lachen:

My hair appointment will be on December 9 or so since I will be 12 weeks post by then. I can't wait to finally be able to change my siggy pic!

My hair appointment is all set for December 23rd. I am not going to relax though, just going to get it straightened with heat. I can't wait to wear my hair down! It has been over a year of protective styling for me!
Ok so are you transitioning?

If there was another one til Jun09 I would join?
I t has also been 6 months since my last dust/trim. I am not sure if I wanna get one and if I do I will probably tell her dont cut off more than 1/4 inch LOL. I wanna see my hair and see if I made APL.......
Once my hair gets long enough I will either dust it myself or have my mom to do it.

Back