HIDE THE HEAT: SUMMER 2013 CHALLENGE

Currently I'm obsessed with supplements after discovering this "Mineral Rich" drink that people are taking for hair growth. I couldn't find it and not trying to order online so decided on the next best thing -- purchase the individual vitamins/minerals that make it effective. The three key ingredients are silica, biotin and b12. I've been taking biotin already but my skin has been breaking out lately -- pretty sure it's due to taking 5000mcg's and not getting enough water. So nixing it for a while and just going to take silica, b12 and a multi for the month of July.

I purchased a bottle of Silica yesterday (brand: Hubner Silicea). It's a thick, tasteless, grainy gel that you're supposed to take straight or mix with juice/water. I'm pretty good with taking supplements but this stuff is next level :nono: Definitely need to mix w/ juice or somehow acquire a taste for it straight.

Anyone else taking vitamins?

I use to take a multivitamin. I recently bought country life maxi hair as recommended by my komAZA care analysis. These suckers are huge. Started them a few days ago. So far so good. They have 2000 mcg of biotin. Not sure if I will repurchase cause of the size. Will see if anything else on the market is smaller with similar ingredients.

i was bored again so i ended up cheating on a small section of hair! i need to find something to do!

My box braids lasted for 8 days. I knew they wouldn't last long because I was being super lazy when I put them in. Now I've been rocking a wash n go for the past week. Thinking of doing some flat twists & covering my hair with a scarf for the next few days. Gotta get all this hot a$$ hair off my back!!

With all this protective styling need to revamp my detangling technique... before it would just be to gently rake through dry hair with a wide tooth comb. But now I think I'm gonna incorporate some oil and finger detangling to remove shed hair first. Then save the wide-tooth comb for detangling post-condition under running water

rririla where art thou? Haven't seen you post in a while :poke: :look:

Yeah where rririla at? Put down the flat iron girl. We re watching you, lol.
I don't know why I been watching at flat iron and blow dry videos on YouTube lately. I am so tired of the twist/braid outs, puffs and all. But gotta be strong, and besides I can't torture myself with straightening while its do hot and humid.
September please come around.

Yeah where rririla at? Put down the flat iron girl. We re watching you, lol.
I don't know why I been watching at flat iron and blow dry videos on YouTube lately. I am so tired of the twist/braid outs, puffs and all. But gotta be strong, and besides I can't torture myself with straightening while its do hot and humid.
September please come around.

Thought I was the only one stumbling on flat iron videos yesterday :look: I quickly diverted my attention to u-part wig tuts and learning new methods that I haven't tried before. Doing my first black tea rinse today, and made 2 wigs yesterday :grin:

@AlliCat @ronie

Im still going strong guys....it's 90 degrees and humid in New York!!!! I couldnt straighten if I wanted to.....been rockin a puff for the past week! Pics at work yesterday!!!! A giant cotton ball is my go to style these days! Going to the beach today so gonna drench my hair in conditioner n do a top knot! AND STAY AWAY FROM THE FLAT IRON/BLOWDRY VIDEOS LADIES!!!! LOL....n let me know how those tea rinses work for ya' AlliCat, never really done one...but always wondered about 'em

Attachments

• image-1531695389.jpg
    image-1531695389.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image-1483069035.jpg
    image-1483069035.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Last wash day my hair was shedding more than normal so today decided to try a black tea rinse. This morning I boiled 5 tea bags in some water, let it steep for a couple hours, put it in a spray bottle and sprayed on the concoction after shampooing with Argadir Argan Oil shampoo (sulfate-free).

Okay so the rinse was exactly as I expected -- I left it in for a few minutes while showering, then after rinsing it left my hair feeling really dry (while it was wet.. kinda hard to explain) and hard in a good way. It felt fortified.

So followed up the rinse with my DC. This week it`s a mix of Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner and Silicon Mix conditioner :lick: The length of my hair instantly felt soft, detangled and moisturized (the top part/roots not so much - no matter how much conditioner I put it still felt hard from the tea). Leaving this DC on for a good hour and 30 mins, then gonna rinse and air dry. Even though it's only been a few weeks since the challenge started, I can already tell my hair feels much healthier without the weekly blow-fry and torch sessions.

Attached is a pic of the shed hair from finger detangling. Will compare with another detangling session later on to see if tea rinses really do work

Attachments

• shed1.jpg
    shed1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Most of my hair just got cornrowed tonight, and the rest is left out to blend with my u-part wig. Really loving the combo of air drying in a middle part then caruso setting leave out to blend. It's perfect and direct-heat free. Planning on leaving these cornrows in for about 3 weeks

It will be 3 weeks into the challenge on Friday. Summer is just flying by.. where I live it's been crazy humid so not missing the direct heat (or reversion) :lol:

Still here. Not doing much of anything to my hair. Lots of cowashes after the gym and steaming my deep conditioners when I get a chance. Planning to install extensions at 12 weeks post in 5 weeks. My first try was a bust.

Still here. Not doing much of anything to my hair. Lots of cowashes after the gym and steaming my deep conditioners when I get a chance. Planning to install extensions at 12 weeks post in 5 weeks. My first try was a bust.

Kim0105 good idea re: the extensions. Is your reggie going to change?

I was bored so i did a rollerset. it makes me glad that i still have my touch but it was too hot to sit under the dryer so the results sucked.

Still here. Nothing new. Still in the same set of twists. I will periodically take a couple down to make sure there is no matting. So far so good....thankfully

Back