HIDE THE HEAT: SUMMER 2013 CHALLENGE

I hope it's not too late to join. I've been heat free for almost 2 weeks already. I recognized that my bangs were damaged from heat, so I cut off A LOT of those ends. My bangs were below my nose, now they are above my eyebrow. (sigh)

So I'm wearing twistouts and buns and plan to do that until the end of the year. I hope I can make it that long without flatironing again.

You guys, I blow dry with the tension method and then bantu knot. I don't use the comb attachment but I usually have the heat on from a distance. Will I need to change the heat to a "cool" setting. My twistouts don't look good unless I have the hair stretched out first.

I'm texlaxed (a bit) but my shrinkage as a 4a/b is off the hook!

Please let me know, I can always try the bantu knots under the hooded dryer that DH got for me. But I have a feeling I won't get the same results. Won't know until I try.

I hope it's not too late to join. I've been heat free for almost 2 weeks already. I recognized that my bangs were damaged from heat, so I cut off A LOT of those ends. My bangs were below my nose, now they are above my eyebrow. (sigh)

So I'm wearing twistouts and buns and plan to do that until the end of the year. I hope I can make it that long without flatironing again.

You guys, I blow dry with the tension method and then bantu knot. I don't use the comb attachment but I usually have the heat on from a distance. Will I need to change the heat to a "cool" setting. My twistouts don't look good unless I have the hair stretched out first.

Please let me know, I can always try the bantu knots under the hooded dryer that DH got for me. But I have a feeling I won't get the same results. Won't know until I try.

lana :welcome:

Kim0105 good idea re: the extensions. Is your reggie going to change?

It will. I am thinking that the extensions will help with the whole head sweating I have now so I will alternate weeks with washing and co washing especially my scalp. I'll deep condition with just a DC cap on once a week. I am hoping I can go 6-8 weeks with them as that will get me 4 weeks out from my touch up date.

Welcome! I say give it a try with your hooded dryer.

My hairdo for the past 3 days...the sloppiest bun ever and I dont even care lol . It's too hot and my job is too damned demanding to try n do anything cuter! Ce la vie!!!

Attachments

• image-2143446098.jpg
    image-2143446098.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 44
Hello ladies. Have not been here in a while. I am still lurking on the run using my phone. But I can't see any mention, and I hate typing in my phone.
Anyways glad to see everyone going strong. And yes summer is flying by. Love all the gorgeous hair.
I have been wearing the same styles. Twists during the week. Twist out of braid out on the weekend. Some puff here and there when I'm too lazy to twist.
Will post some recent pictures this weekend.
rririla look at that gigantic bun. With that size, who cares how messy it is.

Hello ladies. Have not been here in a while. I am still lurking on the run using my phone. But I can't see any mention, and I hate typing in my phone.
Anyways glad to see everyone going strong. And yes summer is flying by. Love all the gorgeous hair.
I have been wearing the same styles. Twists during the week. Twist out of braid out on the weekend. Some puff here and there when I'm too lazy to twist.
Will post some recent pictures this weekend.
rririla look at that gigantic bun. With that size, who cares how messy it is.

ronie

Hi miss! U have the ultimate plan. Ur twists are lookin juicy! So glad the summer is flying but to tell the truth I think everyone's hair will be thankful for the heat break! I cant wait to see all the lovely heads of hair after this challenge. Keep up the good work and thanx for the compliment! I actually like being able to be lazy!

I have to drop out this challenge. My new growth is very compact so I have to stretch it with the use of a blow dryer or I will experience breakage. I probably won't be using my flat iron but I see the need for my blow dryer at this point in my relaxer stretch.

I wish you ladies the best and I will be there to cheer you on with your no heat usage for the rest of the summer.

I have to drop out this challenge. My new growth is very compact so I have to stretch it with the use of a blow dryer or I will experience breakage. I probably won't be using my flat iron but I see the need for my blow dryer at this point in my relaxer stretch.

I wish you ladies the best and I will be there to cheer you on with your no heat usage for the rest of the summer.

:sad: Lissa0821 are you able to use it on cool

@AlliCat, I have a cool button on the blow dryer but it does not stay down so it is a bit of a challenge to physcially hold that button down while trying to dry my hair. I really tried but my finger kept slipping off so I just gave up and use my usual warm air.

Ah okay. Seems like no-heat is doing more harm than good for ya. Best of luck on your summer reggie! :yep:

AWww Lissa0821. As AlliCat said if no heat is causing you more damage than good at this point, it make sense to drop out. Good for you for listening to your hair. Good luck on your stretch.

DH and i are on a NO-PARTY schedule until august 30th. Taking break from the night life,lol. I'm kinda happy so i don't have to take down my twists every few days. It will be 100% protective styling until then. Will try to keep them in for 2 weeks at a time.

I don't. It can be difficult for the girls who want to show off their lengths, and enjoy their hard work. For me, with only 5-6 inches of hair, there is not much to show off. Straight hair won't be fun for me until i hit APL. I am happy that staying away from heat will help me get there faster by limiting splits and damage.
64 days left. We are getting there.

I cut an inch of heat damaged ends from my sides on Monday, so no I don't miss the flat iron at all. SMH

Still bunning...

Last edited:
I don't miss the hot iron at all. I haven't worn my hair since getting the relaxer which was in April. Curly hair is much more fun and I love the volume. Still bunning also-I need to remember to detangle my hair before wet bunning because I've noticed more hair shedding in the shower.

growbaby :welcome:

What's your no-heat regimen like this summer?

Thanks lady,

Glad to be here. This summer I am really focusing in getting maximum growth.

Cowashing 2x a week
Mild protein every 2 weeks
Heavy protein every 4 weeks
DC 2x a week (sometimes more if I swim)
Vitamins EVERYDAY
Sulphur mix minimum of 5 nights a week
M&S every night
I've been swimming a lot so I shampoo 1-2x a week

I've been bunning exclusively about 95% of the time, any other time my hair is in 4 twists/braids under a bonnet.

I'm excited about this challenge it did me so well last yr.

i dont ever remember using it that much, but its something about telling myself i wont use it for an amount of time that makes me stare at it like the last rib at a bbq.....i got issues.

Heyah girlies, I'm new to Lhcf and I'd definitely love to join this challenge even though I'm a bit late, eeps! :) I'm really hoping to be approaching MBL (i dream big) by Christmas. Good luck everyone!

[USER=382883]nyunyu[/USER];18742193 said:
Heyah girlies, I'm new to Lhcf and I'd definitely love to join this challenge even though I'm a bit late, eeps! :) I'm really hoping to be approaching MBL (i dream big) by Christmas. Good luck everyone!

Welcome to LHCF and the challenge! :-)

This Friday will be 4 weeks into the challenge. Does anyone miss their flat iron yet? I don't!!!

I don't exactly miss it but on sunday I was going somewhere and my hair was a total mess. I was tempted... Seriously tempted. But I ended up doing a halo twist. Heat free since May :)

Back