Help Me Plan My Wedding

futureapl

I got engaged last night!!!!! He told me a week ago that he was planning on cooking me dinner. We originally planned to eat at his place. The day of he calls me and tells me that his place is a mess and he wants us to meet at the beach. I met him there, walked up to him and saw he went all out. My fiancee cooked salmon, tuna steak, roasted potatoes, green beans, and carrots. We were talking and just having a good time and he asked me to sit near the water with him. I realized that he did not bring the blanket that we had earlier. He went to get it from the bushes. I looked up and saw that he had spread the blanket on the sand and there was a bag. He told me it was for me so I turned my back to open it and when I turned around he was on one knee asking me to marry him. I said YESSSSSSSS!!!!! Now I need help planning. Idk where to start.

:) Congrats OP!! I've planned two weddings (mine and my sister's) and have vowed that I will never plan another.. lol...I can't help with planning but wish you the very very best engagement and wedding.

Unless you have agreed to a wedding in the next 12 months do not to do anything for a month. Just enjoy being engaged and sharing the news. How others react will be your clue how to engage (or disengage) them going forward.

Then sit with your fiancé and set a budget. You two need to be on same page before you even discuss with your parents. You have to decide if accepting money is worth losing control over the type of wedding you'll have. This will help you decide if you are having a 500+ person blow out or a 125 immediate family/friends affair.

Then hire a reputable wedding planner. Not your cousin who likes wedding or your hairdressers niece who offers a discount so she can add you to her portfolio.

Once you have that settled you can make the fun decisions with dress shopping and who you ask to be in your wedding party. Don't ask Mary because you promised to when you were 8 but you don't speak to her at all except the occasioinal poke on FB.

Decide what your and your groom's must haves are. If its flowers, live music or videographer investigate what you want and adjust your budget accordingly. Be ok to splurge on that one thing and then do your best to come under or at budget with everything else. Don't window shop at high end dress shop if you know you are on David's budget. Too many couples get in trouble financially because everything turns into must haves.

Hire a wedding planner. Seriously. Your typcial groom doesn't care about the details. And neither do your friends. Nor your guests. Don't assume they want to run errands on your day. Let your guests be guests.

Remember when you do start planning that the wedding is one day. Your marriage is for the rest of your life. Don't make temporary or emotional decisions that will affect your long term relationships.

Best wishes and good luck to you!

Congratulations!!!! I wish you all the best. Sorry I can't offer any advice on planning a wedding, since I got married at the Justice of the Peace.

Congrats! I'd start with budget then start looking at venues (this is of course if you plan to go the traditional route rather than JOP). The venue will help deciding the number of people and where or not to have your food catered or if you make it yourself. Some venues don't allow outside food and all venues have an occupancy capacity. Destination wedding or local wedding? Open bar or nah? Budget controls all of those decision. I personally wouldn't get a wedding planner because I'm more of a hands on type of person but some people benefit from them.

Congratulations!!

Maybe browse some wedding magazines and blogs to see what type of wedding or theme you want. I like munaluchi and blackbride on IG. You don't necessarily need a wedding planner but it may help. Consider your budget and remember what it is you guys want and don't let other people bully you into doing what they want. It's your day. And like someone said, the marriage is more important than the wedding.

Back