Have you ever confronted another believer about sin?

I don't think there was any malice in hairlove's post at all.

In general, we confront other believers in their sin because Christianity is supposed to be a community. I would tell my sister about herself in a heartbeat, and she would do the same for me, were there something "off" in either of our lives, attitudes, etc. The Body of Christ is a family of brother and sisters of Christ.

Not everyone feels a part of the community, and not everyone confronts in love, but when there is genuine community and love and respect, then holding one another accountable is a great thing. It doesn't have anything to do with casting stones. "Faithful are the wounds of a friend."
great post!

In general, we confront other believers in their sin because Christianity is supposed to be a community. I would tell my sister about herself in a heartbeat, and she would do the same for me, were there something "off" in either of our lives, attitudes, etc. The Body of Christ is a family of brother and sisters of Christ.

Not everyone feels a part of the community, and not everyone confronts in love, but when there is genuine community and love and respect, then holding one another accountable is a great thing. It doesn't have anything to do with casting stones. "Faithful are the wounds of a friend."

I didn't see any malice either. Love the last post. Sometimes you NEED for somebody to set you straight, whether you WANT them to or not. All in love though. You'll thank them later. :)

Yes I have and I've been confronted. I got confronted Saturday by a dear friend, who called me on my attitude. It was a combination of being sleep deprived, tired, hungry and HOT and something was said that just set it off. I felt like people were being ungrateful. And dear friend reminded me of all that Christ did for me and I immediately checked myself and apologized. We hugged laughed and went on with our evening. If she wouldn't have checked me, our evening would have been ruined. :yep:

Yes I have and I've been confronted. I got confronted Saturday by a dear friend, who called me on my attitude. It was a combination of being sleep deprived, tired, hungry and HOT and something was said that just set it off. I felt like people were being ungrateful. And dear friend reminded me of all that Christ did for me and I immediately checked myself and apologized. We hugged laughed and went on with our evening. If she wouldn't have checked me, our evening would have been ruined. :yep:

Your story reminded me of a good friend that checked me several years ago about my attitude. I'll never forget it...and liked you I thanked her and we enjoyed the rest of our evening! Those are the best friends to have around.

Your story reminded me of a good friend that checked me several years ago about my attitude. I'll never forget it...and liked you I thanked her and we enjoyed the rest of our evening! Those are the best friends to have around.

I totally agree! I love them dearly. We were in the car and 'Cover me' came on and I just felt so shameful for how I acted and thankful that I have such wonderful friends.

Remember to cover me
that i might go in peace
Remember to keep me lifted
that i might go in spirit
Keep my name on your lips
When you pray remember this :
i need you
to cover me

:cry:

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I have been a little busy and not hear to read all of this!

No, I actually did not write this posting at all to be judgmental! I am just a very analytical person so when I read things, I start wondering what other people think about it. The reason I posted this here on the forum is because I would think calling someone else out on sin would be a VERY tough thing to do but yet I've read that it is something we are supposed to do. So, I wondered - is this something people actually do! And I probably thought of it more seriously than necessary like some protocol needed to be followed. Rather, like in my situation, it was really just speaking up for myself on something that bothered me about another person.

Of course, I am always looking at myself and seeing my own sin constantly and daily! And I hope as I get to know more Christians offline, if they notice something improper about me, they would say something to me and I would humbly give it what they've said some thought and correct my ways.

Usually when I'm asking questions here it's because I don't want to do something wrong but at the same time, I don't want to not say anything if I'm supposed to say something.

I've been praying for more Christian friends so that I can see behaviors (in person) as I think this would help provide an example on living the Christian life. Sometimes it's hard to be out there alone and have no examples to follow in day to day life.

So sorry if anyone was offended. I am just asking a question on people's experiences b/c I know there are lot of Christians on this board who have been Christians much longer than I have.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I have to check myself frequently on things like that.

Thank you...and absolutely. It doesn't always have to be a huge thing. It could be as simple as "Hey girl, I missed you at church the last few weeks. I hope to see you soon."

remember what you are saying to the OP because it applies to you as well

did you do this? :rolleyes:

Blossom..consider taking some of your own advice regarding the OP..please.
you're convicting her without knowing WHAT she's referring to...
she came for support...and advice...not for judgement
yes the title made me uncomfortable..but that's her process..
sure...comment on it..
I did,too.
but the level of negative commentary is over the top

maybe this man made some sexual references about women..and maybe the OP is uncomfortable about confronting a male Church member..without going into detail because she wisely knows and has observed no doubt ...that people can do exactly what is being done here
taking what she's saying waaaay out of context and not only that....
blowing it waaaaaaaaaay out of proportion..

there are instances where confrontation is called and supported by
the bible.

So hey Blossom,those are great ideas you have but..your posts seem not in the spirit
or remotely aligned of your very lovely suggestions
you,Blossom can peek in the mirror,too
instead of blasting the OP

OKAY! reality check
She does not NEED a pass from you...
You are not God

Thank you, Kayte for writing this. I think I will not read any further as I did not read the posts you are referring to and I think I will just keep it that way. :yep:

Thank you...and absolutely. It doesn't always have to be a huge thing. It could be as simple as "Hey girl, I missed you at church the last few weeks. I hope to see you soon."

When I was going through a stage of missing church, that type of statement meant a lot to me:yep:.

Was reading tonite and the topic of when to confront people on sin. That if the person is a believer, that you should confront them. If they are not a believer, then you shouldn't.

So, I was just curious to know if anyone ever felt the need to confront another believe about their sin. How did it go? What did you say? And what was the reaction?

Yes but it's important that we correct our brother or sister from a position of love and compassion. People love to use this verse when being corrected of a problem : "Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7:1).

Yet they don’t want to acknowledge that the Bible clearly states that God’s people are expected to correct, rebuke and be bold to those who are sinning from a position of love and genuine concern.

James 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Romans 14: 1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

1 Corinthians 6: 1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints? 2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? 4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church. 5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?"

You get the picture…..

So yes you correct when they are committing sin because you don't want them to hurt themselves or others in the process. It's our duty to be a light to the world and Christians doing stupid stuff isn't what God wants from us. We are supposed to be better but the sad thing is you really can't distinguish a Christian from a non-believer these days because we accept bad behavior especially in the church.

Yes but it's important that we correct our brother or sister from a position of love and compassion. People love to use this verse when being corrected of a problem : "Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7:1).

Yet they don’t want to acknowledge that the Bible clearly states that God’s people are expected to correct, rebuke and be bold to those who are sinning from a position of love and genuine concern.

James 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Romans 14: 1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

1 Corinthians 6: 1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints? 2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? 4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church. 5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?"

You get the picture…..

So yes you correct when they are committing sin because you don't want them to hurt themselves or others in the process. It's our duty to be a light to the world and Christians doing stupid stuff isn't what God wants from us. We are supposed to be better but the sad thing is you really can't distinguish a Christian from a non-believer these days because we accept bad behavior especially in the church.

Thanks for sharing. You've made some really good points! :yep:

I confronted a friend about her dishonesty to her fiance concerning a serious personal matter which would affect him permanently. She is a new Christian and she joined the church because she wanted to get married in one :nono:...(yes, i know). Even so, I encouraged conversations about the church and her spiritual life so I could plant some seeds.

Even though she finally told him, she no longer speaks to me. After telling him, she called me in tears to say, "You have an unreasonable, narrow-minded, unmoveable sense of what's right and wrong." I actually took it as a compliment.:yep: Prior to her getting saved herself, this is also what she said about "fundamentalist" Christians. I figure, as long as it lines up with the Word, then I'll be "unreasonable, narrow-minded and unmoveable."

She also said she felt my veiws on things negatively affected our relationship. Even though we are no longer speaking, this confrontation was a moment of growth for me. I usually say nothing unless advice is solicited. I figured adults make their own decisions, so let them be. This time, it did not settle too well with me because her actions would be harming someone else.

I still love her and pray she does well in life. Eventhough I miss her friendship, I don't regret my decision.

Good for you for not compromising... :clap: she just might come around yet, when she gets "it".. whatever "it" is for her. Some relationships change us for the better. ;)

I confronted a friend about her dishonesty to her fiance concerning a serious personal matter which would affect him permanently. She is a new Christian and she joined the church because she wanted to get married in one :nono:...(yes, i know). Even so, I encouraged conversations about the church and her spiritual life so I could plant some seeds.

Even though she finally told him, she no longer speaks to me. After telling him, she called me in tears to say, "You have an unreasonable, narrow-minded, unmoveable sense of what's right and wrong." I actually took it as a compliment.:yep: Prior to her getting saved herself, this is also what she said about "fundamentalist" Christians. I figure, as long as it lines up with the Word, then I'll be "unreasonable, narrow-minded and unmoveable."

She also said she felt my veiws on things negatively affected our relationship. Even though we are no longer speaking, this confrontation was a moment of growth for me. I usually say nothing unless advice is solicited. I figured adults make their own decisions, so let them be. This time, it did not settle too well with me because her actions would be harming someone else.

I still love her and pray she does well in life. Eventhough I miss her friendship, I don't regret my decision.

In Genesis, God had the same type of resistance when he approached Cain about his brother. We do have the responsibility of looking out for the welfare of our brothers and sisters in Christ -- with a pure heart and not a haughty one. To see another believer falter and not say anything or show any kind of love, is not Christ-like behavior. Whether they receive admonition with the bitterness of Cain or the humility of Saul, is really up to them.

Yep.

"Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you;
Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.

Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learing."
Proverbs 9:8-9 NKJV

And here's the actual verse from before:

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend;
but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful."
Proverbs 27:6 NKJV

Back