Has your spouse ever travelled for pleasure without you?

Has your spouse went on a vacation without you?

• Yes

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Once

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

dancinstallion

And I am not asking about going to visit family. I am talking about going on a vacation to lay on the beach, sight see, travel internationally without you( to a country you've never been to but wanted to go to)?

If so
Did you allow it? Or was it against your will?
How did you feel about it?

*When I was married*

He did once. We also did plenty vacations together. Didn’t feel anyway about it. I wanted to go but my schedule just didn’t work out that way. I didn’t think he should miss out on a great opportunity because of my hectic schedule.

I’ve also taken trips without him that he wanted to go but couldn’t.

Nope. The olde man don't do that and he was appalled at my college friend who went to Chernobyl for 2 weeks without his wife.

Before Covid, we (mainly me) were both good for hopping on a plane for a day trip out of state to go do random pooh on our own but not overnight trips. The Atlas Obscura is my spirit guide.

The Atlas Obscura is my spirit guide.
:love: love the Atlas Obscura! Can't wait to visit some of those places when my kid is old enough to be without me. I'll go with or without the hubs- I actually tend to be the one who leaves him behind. I went on two trips without him (one of which was international) in the first year we were married. I know his momma was probably talking about me :giggle:
So I couldn’t really say anything when his friend had a bachelor weekend in Miami. Let me share that story because those men do not know how to vacation. First of all they booked an AirBnB an HOUR away from the city- why? because it's cheaper, but then had to pay an arm and a leg for Uber anytime they wanted to go anywhere so they ended up staying in the house more often than not. I said, well at least there’s a pool there -Nah, not gonna swim. Ok how’s the beach? Didn't go. There’s got to be some good Cuban food? They ordered pizza delivery. SKRIPPERS?? NOPE! Woweee wow wow, you guys are boring! They played paintball, drank and watched football in the house- they coulda done that at home smh. The single guys in the group were pissed lol!
When I went to Iceland with my girls we were living it up! Dancing at the clubs with the local mens, got dranks bought for us, ate all types of different food, got a massage at the Blue Lagoon by a big Viking dude, took pictures of very large things at the phallic museum, climbed volcanoes. I make sure to enjoy myself on vacation! So it may be hypocritical but if Dh wants to go by himself somewhere it’ll be a no, because what is he gonna do without me exactly? Nap and watch tv, nah he can spend the night at a hotel down the street if he just wants some time to himself. It would be very sus if he really wanted to go on a solo vacation

No. There have been times where I really needed to travel and didn't want him to come though. Not because I don't enjoy him but because he is just so consuming with being my priority and I needed to momentarily handle a different priority...Like when I was a maid of honor, helping with funeral arrangements or wanted to visit someone in the hospital and have the option to stay in the hospital room overnight and he won't even give me a pass for that. He is coming lol. Independent travel is just one of those areas he is firm on and doesn't want me or him doing no matter the reason.

Last edited:
With my late husband yes.
Most of the time it was me though. I went on a 5 week vacation to South America/Antarctica without him and to the Galapagos Islands without him and he went to China and Cuba without me.
I couldn't get off work but would of loved to go with him both trips.
He couldn't take 5 weeks off work and couldn't and didn't want to go to Antarctica.
We were fine with both scenarios.
And the moral of the story is he's gone now but I thank God he got to do things that he dreamed of doing without me standing in his way and vice versa.
Antarctica was my dream trip and I can go happy now that I got to experience it.

So this guy I know doesn't travel by himself, he only travels with wife and kids. His wife is the big traveller, she will travel everywhere, alone, with family and or friends. Well out of the blue he books a 9 day trip to an island alone. I was shocked that his wife wasn't going because I had heard his wife say she wanted to go there and she has never been.

I am the traveler of our family and dh rarely goes anywhere. We took a lot of trips last month and it awakened his wanderlust. I gladly welcomed him to the club because he had been holding me back from traveling as much as I wanted.. He would get jealous when I went somewhere new without him, even though he didn't want to go. Smh

Well dh knows he can never book a solo vacation without me especially not to an exotic place I have never been. Plus dh wouldn't want to travel alone because he is a people person he always needs company and doesn't like talking to strangers so he wouldn't meet people on the trip.

Last edited:
The only time my husband ever traveled alone was for a few days for a car show or airshow that I wasn't interested in. And that was just to Atlanta or Reno or Monterrey.

Neither one of us are the type to plan a trip to another country without the other.

Never. When I was a teen I saw an article featuring old married couples and 2 common themes that stuck out to me was the fact that most of the couples never went on holidays without their spouses and they try not to go to bed angry with each other. I don’t always achieve the latter. We have never been on separate holidays but dh does travel for work sometimes.

Last edited:
My husband has traveled a few times without me but never to another country. He went to his best friend's bachelor party weekend in Miami and another time to Las Vegas. I've also traveled without him but the majority of our trips have been together.

I'm OK with him going on short holidays with friends, or male family members (that I respect). He's the one who wants me there all the time. I'm more into mixing it up.

The situation described about a random solo holiday to somewhere they both want to go... It wouldn't make sense to me and it'd be wayyyy out of character for my husband and cause high concern.

I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious but what's the reason your husband's can't travel without you or you can't travel without them?
Is it fear of cheating? You just feel a married couple should always be together? Fear of something happening to him/ you and you're not there? Distance/time away? Kids?
It's mostly FOMO for me. I don't care if he and his buddies go somewhere I've been before but I would be sad to miss out on a new location. Whenever we've gone anywhere together I have to almost drag him out of the hotel which is why I prefer to go with my friends to certain locations. He's just not an adventurer in that way. He likes to vacay for rest whereas I like to vacay for experience, we understand this about each other.

I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious but what's the reason your husband's can't travel without you or you can't travel without them?
Is it fear of cheating? You just feel a married couple should always be together? Fear of something happening to him/ you and you're not there? Distance/time away? Kids?
Vacation is extra special bonding time for us and with a goal of breaking our routine. It's an automatic family event. We're both of this mindset.

But neither of us minds the other going on a girls/guys trip without the other because we also understand that is needed too.

A solo day away, a solo overnight hotel stay, we're good with too because sometimes you just need that solo rejuvenation. And we've both done that. But a whole solo vacation, no.

Absolutely. We travel together and seperately both local and internationally, sometimes to places that the other hasn't visited yet. We both have semi-active friend groups and I see no problem with him traveling with his friends. They are pretty solid men who like to see the world and he knows and trusts the type of women I travel with so there aren't any issues.

I am a huge fan of us being able to still do the things we enjoy as individuals. Life is meant to be lived.

Turns out the solo trip wasn't solo. A friend that the husband was supposed to meet up with, ( they were to meet up during a layover), tested positive so couldnt go, and the island closed the borders during his connecting flight so he had to come back.

The husband still led us to believe the trip was solo until the end.

I knew something was up.

Last edited:
Turns out the solo trip wasn't solo. A friend that the husband was supposed to meet up with, ( they were to meet up during a layover), tested positive so couldnt go, and the island closed the borders during his connecting flight so he had to come back.

The husband still led us to believe the trip was solo until the end.

I knew something was up.

Come on, sis. Now you know what we're all asking... was this a friend or a "friend friend"?

Last edited:
Come on, sis. Now you know what we're all asking... was this a friend or a "friend friend"?

That is what I am trying to find out. :lachen:
Dh said he is out of it because he knows when someone is lying/withholding information and doesn't like to push it, but I keep asking questions. :giggle:
We found out the trip was off from the husband's dad so we were like wait a minute. :scratchchin:

I think it was a "friend friend" and dh doesn't want me to know or he doesn't know.

I also think homegirl stood the husband up or really tested positive. a man wouldn't cancel his trip and lose out on all that money because his homeboy couldn't come?

I just looked and the border isn't closed to the island. the husband didn't plan on taking a 10 day solo trip so he had to come back.

I knew the situation was strange from the jump.

Just a tangent, amongst the top reasons I read of women saying they don't want to get married too soon is they want to get all the traveling out of their system before settling down. I'm sitting here like I've travelled more in the last 10 years of being married than I did the first 30 of my life.

Why is it that people think you can't go on vacation with your spouse or is this code for travel as a means to sample some exotic goodies at every port?

Back