Happy Marriage Secrets: It's All About The Wife

Lot's of women love masculine energy so that's kind of moot. The question is what are you willing to do (or not do) to have the things you list. Because the issue isn't loving men or wanting certain things, it's that for some women they 're not getting enough of those things to make it worth it or the price for those things is too high.

That goes without saying..dealing with anyone other than yourself requires a certain amount compromising, patience and understanding. I think what has happened is people got sold a pipe dream on what really is marriage is (thanks Disney).

:yep:
Unpopular opinion but I don't buy this..most people (adults) don't change that much fundamentally.

You hang around married couples? Let them get into some stress...the good, then the bad, then the ugly. Everyone can become bad. Look at stats...over 50% divorces. That can't be that 50% of the people are choosing the wrong mate or are initially bad people. People plain give up , that's what. Women no longer stick around a stale mate either.

:yep:

You hang around married couples? Let them get into some stress...the good, then the bad, then the ugly. Everyone can become bad. Look at stats...over 50% divorces. That can't be that 50% of the people are choosing the wrong mate or are initially bad people. People plain give up , that's what. Women no longer stick around a stale mate either.

:Yep: I've lived with one for 2 decades and have been around plenty more.

Hiding behavior is real!!! Couple of friends found out about substance abuse, other kids, health issues after the wedding.

But also I think people change after marriage because the expectations of a spouse are different then that of a boy/girlfriend. Have seen it with both men and women.

Almost all of my friends went through 1 to 2 years of straight up relationship h*ll after getting married. Even the ones who had lived together for some time before the marriage.

I'm talking about giving up, quitting commitment when they previously did not. That's change. When people are put under some extreme pressures of marriage, many things they previously did not know about themselves and relationships will come out. That's not hiding behavior. That's not being the same person they first were within the confines of the marriage. They give up on trying. The other side of that is that no one knows their mate 100%, not 90, 70, hardly 40%. You grow to know more about that person. I'm not talking about shady men with ulterior motives nor imbalanced guys. People who think they fully know their mates past a perfect courtship, pre-marital counseling, close ties with the mate's family, his/her friends...is in for a rude awakening after marriage. Tis not to say there aren't great marriages but even in those, they are constantly learning about that mate.

@FemmeFatala

That doesn't make you expert. People can and do change...how they relate to their spouses. :yep: When I mention something similar, I get the feeling that it might cause insecurity or discomfort. It's not meant to but is an explanation. It plain happens but not to all. To be open and honest and include all sides. There's no magic bullet. Travail, but no magic. My reaction to the OP's article is :perplexed because it puts the blame on the woman, yet again.

Last edited:
That goes without saying..dealing with anyone other than yourself requires a certain amount compromising, patience and understanding. I think what has happened is people got sold a pipe dream on what really is marriage is (thanks Disney).

I'm not talking about compromise, patience, and understanding. That's a given. As is the fact that heterosexual women enjoy men and their energy. What I'm talking about is giving and forgiving beyond your comfort zone and whether or not you are getting enough of what you want and need to make that kind of sacrificing worthwhile.

I do think people have high expectations about marriage but I wouldn't blame Disney. I think in general people today have higher expectations about what they want in their lives including marriage.

What do you want from marriage?

Sorry for the late reply, I had to go to a work event and didn't see the later posts.

To answer your question, I don't think I want anything that crazy. I want love/to be cherished, companionship, children.....

I think for me the problem is the traditional marriage set-up. Women traditionally do a lot of the emotional/relationship-building work and men traditionally bring a lot of financial and practical benefits to the table.

As a result, men (even in bad marriages) experience better health, better emotional well-being, better earning power, improved social status, etc. from marriage. Married men live almost a decade longer than single men. The weird thing is that studies show no similar benefit to women. In fact, women in bad marriages die sooner than never married women.

I think that in the past the trade-offs were worth it because all women except for very rich widows didn't have the financial, social, legal status to move freely in the world without men. That's not the case anymore. The thing that feminism did for the average American woman is give her the freedoms that used to be reserved for very very rich women.

So now for me the question is what do I get if I give up my freedom in order to marry. If I were to meet and marry a soul mate, someone that I loved very much, the benefit would be obvious. But most people don't marry a soul mate.

For me, marrying for financial resources only makes sense if the other person is upgrading your lifestyle significantly. For many women these days, that's tough to find. Many men just don't have the financial resources to be a provider in the traditional sense. So if I were to marry someone who is basically in the same financial position that I'm in, and I am expected to do the emotional/relationship building work plus the financial work of the relationship, marriage starts to look like a bad deal.

The other considerations - children, sex, companionship, social standing....to me those are not reasons to marry when you are young. It's easy to get those things on your own these days. To me, marriage after 50 makes sense because when you are old(er) stability becomes more important. You are less mobile, less likely to meet new companions and/or find new lovers, and your ability to increase your social standing through work generally decreases after 50 (esp. for women).

To me, the only reasons women want to marry so badly is because (i) we want to have children in wedlock or (ii) we want marriage status or (iii) we have been indoctrinated to believe in the fairy tale.

On having children in wedlock, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I think it's overrated. Originally paternity was difficult to determine and illegitimate children had no rights. Today, in the US, that's not the case. Legitimate children and illegitimate children have equal rights to support. Frankly, a smart woman could secure more resources for her children by having illegitimate children with alpha males, and having several monogamous (in spirit) relationships with easier to control beta males. I know there are other considerations, but I don't think they are enough reason to marry.

On marriage status, this marriage benefit mainly accrues to men, IMO. Women may be looked down upon for not being married after a certain age, but that stigma is fading and mostly associated with desirability. A desirable unmarried woman will always have a great deal of status and power. Women rarely get anything professionally for being married.

On the fairy tale, well happily ever after, IMO, is real -- if you marry for love (or marry someone very very rich)-- but most don't. For most then, happily ever after is nonsense, IMO. The man will not take care of you, most likely you will spend your most productive years giving birth to his offspring, and your waning years nursing him through his illnesses.

The man will not slay your dragons, he probably wants to, but he's no more capable of identifying and killing them than you are. Plus, though the man might care for you, unless it's a true love match, his interest probably isn't enough to cause him to suffer the inconvenience.

I could go on and on, LOL! I'm not against marriage, I just think that most women marry for the wrong reasons. Marriage is a very peculiar institution with very limited benefits for women, and I think that women who choose to take part need to have their eyes open.

there are still women that love and appreciate masculine energy..for a woman I would say security, provision (:look:), a business partner, a friend, sex partner, and most important: a family.

I just wrote a whole book, lol, but I think you can get a lot of that without marrying, and there's really no guarantee that the person you marry will be able to provide you with everything you need.

I think a lot of that is because of our biological clocks and it puts us at a disadvantage. As for the concrete benefits of marriage, I'd say a big part of it has to do with children.

You hit the nail on the head about why divorces are most often initiated by women and it's probably why widows are able to cope such much better to losing a spouse than widowers.

I didn't know that, but it makes so much sense to me.

I think the biological clock think is a factor and I agree that children are a big driver for marriage, but women who don't want/can't have/plan to adopt, also seem very eager to marry.

I didn't know that, but it makes so much sense to me.

I think the biological clock think is a factor and I agree that children are a big driver for marriage, but women who don't want/can't have/plan to adopt, also seem very eager to marry.

Soceity isnt very "single woman" friendly.

Sorry for the late reply, I had to go to a work event and didn't see the later posts.

To answer your question, I don't think I want anything that crazy. I want love/to be cherished, companionship, children.....

I think for me the problem is the traditional marriage set-up. Women traditionally do a lot of the emotional/relationship-building work and men traditionally bring a lot of financial and practical benefits to the table.

As a result, men (even in bad marriages) experience better health, better emotional well-being, better earning power, improved social status, etc. from marriage. Married men live almost a decade longer than single men. The weird thing is that studies show no similar benefit to women. In fact, women in bad marriages die sooner than never married women.

I think that in the past the trade-offs were worth it because all women except for very rich widows didn't have the financial, social, legal status to move freely in the world without men. That's not the case anymore. The thing that feminism did for the average American woman is give her the freedoms that used to be reserved for very very rich women.

So now for me the question is what do I get if I give up my freedom in order to marry. If I were to meet and marry a soul mate, someone that I loved very much, the benefit would be obvious. But most people don't marry a soul mate.

For me, marrying for financial resources only makes sense if the other person is upgrading your lifestyle significantly. For many women these days, that's tough to find. Many men just don't have the financial resources to be a provider in the traditional sense. So if I were to marry someone who is basically in the same financial position that I'm in, and I am expected to do the emotional/relationship building work plus the financial work of the relationship, marriage starts to look like a bad deal.

The other considerations - children, sex, companionship, social standing....to me those are not reasons to marry when you are young. It's easy to get those things on your own these days. To me, marriage after 50 makes sense because when you are old(er) stability becomes more important. You are less mobile, less likely to meet new companions and/or find new lovers, and your ability to increase your social standing through work generally decreases after 50 (esp. for

On marriage status, this marriage benefit mainly accrues to men, IMO. Women may be looked down upon for not being married after a certain age, but that stigma is fading and mostly associated with desirability. A desirable unmarried woman will always have a great deal of status and power. Women rarely get anything professionally for being married.

On the fairy tale, well happily ever after, IMO, is real -- if you marry for love (or marry someone very very rich)-- but most don't. For most then, happily ever after is nonsense, IMO. The man will not take care of you, most likely you will spend your most productive years giving birth to his offspring, and your waning years nursing him through his illnesses.

This right here ^^^^^ very well said

sea1980 I'm only going to give a brief response right now because my concentration is limited. I used to think I never wanted to get married because based on what I saw, the only thing I would be gaining is more housework. However, when I met my husband I realized that I wanted to share the rest of my life with him because of the happiness he brought to my life.

He was the right life partner for me because we had the same expectations. I wasn't looking to have someone provide for all my financial needs and he wasn't looking to be the sole breadwinnner. He wasn't looking for someone to do all the housework and I wasn't about to do it all. Our main expectations are that we work together as a team and enjoy each other's company. If I had assumed that my marriage had to be like other couple's, I would have declined his proposal.

My point is, if you want to marry, find the man who wants the same lifestyle you want. And pay no mind if everyone around you thinks that your household is different or strange. If the two of you are happy, that's all that matters.

sea1980 I'm only going to give a brief response right now because my concentration is limited. I used to think I never wanted to get married because based on what I saw, the only thing I would be gaining is more housework. However, when I met my husband I realized that I wanted to share the rest of my life with him because of the happiness he brought to my life.

He was the right life partner for me because we had the same expectations. I wasn't looking to have someone provide for all my financial needs and he wasn't looking to be the sole breadwinnner. He wasn't looking for someone to do all the housework and I wasn't about to do it all. Our main expectations are that we work together as a team and enjoy each other's company. If I had assumed that my marriage had to be like other couple's, I would have declined his proposal.

My point is, if you want to marry, find the man who wants the same lifestyle you want. And pay no mind if everyone around you thinks that your household is different or strange. If the two of you are happy, that's all that matters.

.......:yep:

It is very easy to have a happy marriage. It isn't all that complicated: "choose wisely, treat kindly".

It's very hard for me to digest this. I'm not married but I find that even in my own relationships, happiness has ebbed and flowed. What seemed to save things was that each person was committed to working through things - whatever they may be.

I also think happiness comes from within so even if you are with a good person - if you yourself aren't happy - the marriage wont be a happy one.

Back to it being easy to have a happy marriage - I even see how not foolproof this in the married ladies thread in relationship forum. Some of the longer married women have expressed times where there were dark clouds over their marriage and even some of younger women are expressing their frustration over particular issues.

I just think it all takes work. All relationships take work and you just want to be working with the right kind of partner for you. There is no "very easy" from what I see and from my limited experience.

I have always felt this way about marriage as well.

It is very easy to have a happy marriage. It isn't all that complicated: "choose wisely, treat kindly".

Yardy, I love you. but let's be fair, it took you 2x around to have this epiphany.

My point is that it takes most women, hell most people, to go through a couple of people (be it serious relationships or marriages) to realize how simple relationships really are.

Honestly, the women I know with the happiest relationships/marriages at present have been through a previous husband or been through several serious previously *healthy* relationships (including shacking) to have the "ah-ha" epiphany that relatiojships are simple and its all about the woman. It's a 'keep trying' mentality that most learn from experience.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that give Yardy's statement weight, though? Basically that she tried one way, it didn't work, then she chose more wisely and treated more kindly, and now it does?

Last edited:
I don't actually agree with the simplicity of it... the "very easy" part, but I don't think having done marriage twice would invalidate the statement.

Wouldn't that give Yardy's statement weight, though? Basically that she tried one way, it didn't workspace, then she chose more wisely and treated more kindly, and now it does?

I just don't think it's all very easy. I think it can be easy at times - otherwise relationships have seasons and climates.

I'd think anyone with any kind of marriage experience, divorce included would agree with the above. But then again I'm not married so I don't know some things.

*back to lurking*

We posted at the same time. I don't know anyone with an easy marriage, and I'm not sure I know anyone with an easy relationship either. I think all relationships have their challenges. That's been my experience. Some greater than others, yes, which is why I support the "choose wisely" point and working with the right type of partner.

I just don't think it's all very easy. I think it can be easy at times - otherwise relationships have seasons and climates.

I'd think anyone with any kind of marriage experience, divorce included would agree with the above. But then again I'm not married so I don't know some things.

It def isn't easy, I've seen my dad grab a book to read and nap in his car to avoid hearing my mom's loud nagging (she's a Scorpio) that would echo all throughout the house..I'm sure folk from my generation would be running to the courthouse or the side chick's house :nono:

We posted at the same time. I don't know anyone with an easy marriage, and I'm not sure I know anyone with an easy relationship either. I think all relationships have their challenges. That's been my experience. Some greater than others, yes, which is why I support the "choose wisely" point and working with the right type of partner.

Well I think even if you choose wisely, it's not all very easy.

And maybe that post is hitting me harder than anyone else. I thought this way before entering a full fledged relationship. I thought it would be easy. It would just flow and go. Boy was I wrong. I didn't realize that even if your man is good and great, you have to work on your relationship (and on yourself sometimes). And working is not a bad thing - it's just the nature of relationships.

So I had to grow up and grow up a lot in my relationship and realize that it's not easy and all fairytales and that you will be challenged. And you have to work. You just need to pick the right person to go through those wonderful and awful times with.

Ps - my personal epiphany happened in the last year and a half so this is all very fresh.

It def isn't easy, I've seen my dad grab a book to read and nap in his car to avoid hearing my mom's loud nagging (she's a Scorpio) that would echo all throughout the house..I'm sure folk from my generation would be running to the courthouse or the side chick's house :nono:

Oh gosh people from our generation would not last in my parents' marriage. Not at all! As a result I've sort of been conditioned to put up with a lot or my tolerance is quite high bc my parents' marriage is my first model. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. I do know I can pick and choose things I would like to have in my marriage so good enough.

Yardy, I love you. but let's be fair, it took you 2x around to have this epiphany. My point is that it takes most women, hell most people, to go through a couple of people (be it serious relationships or marriages) to realize how simple relationships really are. Honestly, the women I know with the happiest relationships/marriages at present have been through a previous husband or been through several serious previously *healthy* relationships (including shacking) to have the "ah-ha" epiphany that relatiojships are simple and its all about the woman. It's a 'keep trying' mentality that most learn from experience.

Yes I can see simple. Yes I can see the sentiment to an extent that relationships can be simple and not nearly as complicated or troublesome and I def agree that it is all about the woman. Many wives just don't know that and don't assume that role. I also think a relationship can be all about the woman with a certain kind of man.

As for keep trying, this is why I believe in dating. While it's not marriage, it helps to tell you a lot about someone. It's not everything but it's something.

Oh gosh people from our generation would not last in my parents' marriage. Not at all! As a result I've sort of been conditioned to put up with a lot or my tolerance is quite high bc my parents' marriage is my first model. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. I do know I can pick and choose things I would like to have in my marriage so good enough.

Same here..which is why I'm very thorough with my vetting process.

Back