Haitian and Jamaican Men

my SO is jamaican and i can tell that he is possessive, nothing that's crazy...yet. he has a bad temper but it really takes a lot for him to get to that point. he is really patient w/ me and all my craziness. as far as fidelity issues...that's men period.:rolleyes:

Be wary of any individual man, regardless of his culture. Watch his action and not his words. You'll find liars, cheaters and abusers in any ethnicity as well as very good men.

I may be a little biased (my dad's side is haitian) but none of the haitians or jamacians i know are possessive or violent. The gentlest man I've ever dated is full Jamacian and a couple of my friends that are jamacian or haitian as well and with the exception of one has never shown any violence to me or their SO

There are good and bad men in every race and every ethnic group of every race. That's all I can add to this thread:yep:

My husband is Haitian and he is an exemplary man. Exceptional in every way. I only wish more of my sisters could experience what it is like to be with a man like him. I find myself trying to do better in every aspect of my life for myself (always) but also because he is the kind of man that deserves an equally wonderful partner in life.
Don't go by stereotypes. Judge for yourself.

He sounds exactly like my fiance. He is from Ghana.

:yawn: Well....Let's see now. "They" say that Blk American women don't want to work (lazy) and have very loose values, they aren't connected to family and as a whole are easy to bed. I can go on, but I'll stop there. Is that you? Or any of your friends? Probably not. My point is let's stop stereotyping one another and form our own opinions that don't put other groups and races down. Let's get understanding and true understanding would mean that we have all of the pieces to the puzzle. Not to mention, what about what other races believe about us Blk women, 99% of it is pure D garbage!

No judgement Sis, just love :yep:

Well most- or if not all- of the Jamaican men I know will openly admit to loving “nuff pum pum” AT ONCE (while having a SO) - Being in a stable commit relationship/marriage is like a No No or something. I don’t know. But give everyone a fair chance ..wish I could take my own advice though

Last edited:
I've heard this stereotype before and also know a Jamaican guy who is the living embodiment of it. I will admit its the first thing I said to myself when I heard about him too, but I know there are good and bad across the races. I wouldn't fall into stereotypes just because there are so many about every group, especially black women that I know are unfair.

Thats what I say. Never had any experiences with a Jamaican guy, but I've dealt with a Haitian guy before and it didnt end well. But it was a learning experience and it has made me weary of becoming involved with anymore Haitian guys (even though I know they all are not the same). But I do that with any guy thats done me wrong. I've dated a guy from NY, bad experience so I said never again. A guy who was short, bad experience, so I said never again :lol: You see the pattern?

LOL well I guess I didn't learn bc Im dealing with another New Yorker whose from Jamaica. :lachen: Geez! Things happen. :drunk: Guess I'll BBL when things go sour? Ha!

I never met a Haitian or Jamaican like that cause I always thought that the tough as nails Haitian and Jamaican women would stab their arses.

Nothing brings clarity to a situation like a gaping Stab wound.

Well i'm Jamaican, only ever dated Jamaican men and i've not met an abusive one so far. Saying all Jamaican men are abusive is like saying all black women have short damaged hair. You just cant make generalizations like that.

Well as far as stereotypes go, they are supposed to be great dads, loving husbands, great providers, always wanting to better themselves and their family (both of their families) :giggle:

My bros girlfriend is Haitian and says that she will never date a Haitian man b/c they're too possessive.

I used to date a Jamaican and he was :lick: and not aggressive.

Actually, lol, I'm my whole family is West Indian and although we're not Haitian or Jamaican, my bros or dad do not possess those qualities.

It just depends. It's like that "all black women are mean," thing. There are some who are and some who aren't. It depends on who you're dealing with.

HTH!

Abusive and possessive no i would say that necessarily

I was "talking" to a Jamaican man at one point of my 18 years of life and he wanted me to go natural, don't wear lotion, make-up, and basically anything unnatural and what god did not give yu and smoke weed all day with him. that didnt turn out well come to find out he was Rastafarian but he was the first Jamaican dude that ever acted like that... Haitians on the other hand...I'm Haitian and i can honestly say that ALL the men in my family love and cherish their woman but always have somebody else on the side including my father...it just like a way of life in my family but that should characterize all Haitians because African Americans, Latinos, whites, etc all have the capability of being one or both of these things. Just try it out and access how they act. HTH

I am also from the Caribbean and agree based on what I have witnessed.

*Disclaimer* I have not witnessed EVERY relationship

Ok, I'm from Barbados so I wouldn't want to make Caribbean men seem "whutless" or anything, but for me most of them are not serious relationship material. It's strange because they love their mothers so much and call them queens, yada, yada, but they have respect issues with their partners. I have hung around so many Caribbean men who put their wives and girlfriends down behind their backs and basically act single trying to chat up every woman they see on the street... any age, any race, no preference whatsoever. A total disregard for their partners and children. I'm disgusted at the kind of things these guys get up to (secret children, secret mistresses, secret stds :blush:). Sometimes I want to open my mouth and say something to their women (especially when their trying it on me) but I don't want to butt in.
I have been out with a few Jamaican men and men from other caribbean countries (never a Haitian) and I was very careful. In fact I tend to just cut them off before anything becomes serious (and they always wanna get 'serious' quick time :nono:. I get asked out by a lot of Jamaican men especially... I'm just like :hand: now
Although I am only 26 I have only had to observe their behaviour in their relationships to know that I probably will never want a serious relationship with one ever again.

My advice to you is... be careful and get to know these guys very well before diving into anything serious... or at least try.
I don't mean to offend anyone but i think the Caribbean culture has a big problem when it comes to love, respect and faithfulness in relationships.

Every time I try and give a Caribbean man the benefit of the doubt (not neccessarily one I go out with), I am disappointed and proven right!

About the possessiveness and violence... this sort of behaviour is usually kept behind closed doors, so even if you think someone is not this way, or has never been this way, you can never be sure.
I couldn't say all Caribbean men are this way, as with the cheating, just be careful and look for the signs.
Women usually have good instincts :wink:

I'm sure there are great Haitian and Jamaican men out there... I just ain't met none yet :look: .

The carribean men I know (family and friends) are some of the most caring and sensitive men I've met. Plus I usually date MEN not boys trying to be men or men who act like boys. It's all up to individual.

NE ways, if you keep attracking abusive cheating no good men in your life, you need to self evaluate and ask yourself why. Dosen't matter if he's Jamaican, Haitian, African, American, etc.

I agree.

Yes, there are certain negative cultural trends that one could observe about any particular group of men. However, it doesn't necessarily apply to every single individual man (or even the majority of the men) in that group.

It's up to you to choose which men you let into your life, and what characteristics they have.

I have had three Jamaican boyfriends, and none were violent. That's because I don't date violent men - whatever their nationality or race - it's like they don't even exist for me.

So I would have to say it's up to you to find out who these men are as people, and then decide if you want to give them your time.

I was told growing up that all African American men are gangbangers and criminals. Thank goodness I have sense not to believe in gross generalizations or stereotypes.

Last edited:
My family is from Jamaica and it really depends on the guy. Normally they are dogs till they find the right one and she puts them on lock in my family.

My family is from Jamaica and it really depends on the guy. Normally they are dogs till they find the right one and she puts them on lock in my family. But we frown upon domestic abuse in our family so I can't claim much of that. I think it is more how the person is raised rather than were they are from.

Ok, I'm from Barbados so I wouldn't want to make Caribbean men seem "whutless" or anything, but for me most of them are not serious relationship material. It's strange because they love their mothers so much and call them queens, yada, yada, but they have respect issues with their partners. I have hung around so many Caribbean men who put their wives and girlfriends down behind their backs and basically act single trying to chat up every woman they see on the street... any age, any race, no preference whatsoever. A total disregard for their partners and children. I'm disgusted at the kind of things these guys get up to (secret children, secret mistresses, secret stds :blush:). Sometimes I want to open my mouth and say something to their women (especially when their trying it on me) but I don't want to butt in.
I have been out with a few Jamaican men and men from other caribbean countries (never a Haitian) and I was very careful. In fact I tend to just cut them off before anything becomes serious (and they always wanna get 'serious' quick time :nono:. I get asked out by a lot of Jamaican men especially... I'm just like :hand: now
Although I am only 26 I have only had to observe their behaviour in their relationships to know that I probably will never want a serious relationship with one ever again.

My advice to you is... be careful and get to know these guys very well before diving into anything serious... or at least try.
I don't mean to offend anyone but i think the Caribbean culture has a big problem when it comes to love, respect and faithfulness in relationships.

Every time I try and give a Caribbean man the benefit of the doubt (not neccessarily one I go out with), I am disappointed and proven right!

About the possessiveness and violence... this sort of behaviour is usually kept behind closed doors, so even if you think someone is not this way, or has never been this way, you can never be sure.
I couldn't say all Caribbean men are this way, as with the cheating, just be careful and look for the signs.
Women usually have good instincts :wink:

I'm sure there are great Haitian and Jamaican men out there... I just ain't met none yet :look: .

ITA, and well said.

I must say I have experienced this crap first hand. All of my Belizean Bf's cheated. All of my cousins cheat on their gf or wives. Even female cousins of mine cheat cheat cheat. :nono:
If they are abusive, sometimes we see it, but its worse behind closed doors.
I had a haitian boyfriend, who was possessive. :wallbash: But! he was very charming, worked hard, and very generous.

I had a jamaican gf who dated a married jamaican man, who wanted to have a 3some with me. :nono: He was controlling and aggressive as all get out.

But on the other hand, I have met some sweet caribbean men who are extremely faithful to their SO's.. :yep:They work hard, and tek care ah home.

Go on the date and judge for yourself. Have fun, nobody is saying you're asking for a ring, house and dog on the first date. :lachen:

Last edited:
Of course I can't comment on Caribbean men as a whole, but my SO is half-Haitian and he is one of the sweetest men I have ever know, and the best boyfriend I have ever had. He treats me soooooo well.

My ex was jamaican ...overall a very good guy. We didn't fuss or fight. He would cook for me. Wash my hair do anything to make my day a little brighter. He would mean mug anybody who stared at me or attempted to holla at me. He NEVER threatend me. Or put his hands on me in anything less than a loving manner. Defintely a hardworker, generous and a family man (he was a single dad with a 13 y.o son) He was the best man I had ever met. Our only problem was the fidelity thing. Once I had prove that was that for me. I'm not chick who will threaten a guy if you cheat I will do X,Y,or Z. I'm just gone. You don't have to fight/threaten/beat up Tyrese :D for my undivided love and affection. I want yours the same way,or not at all.

This is not ALL jamaican men, just MY experince with one.

In the past 3 days I have been asked out by 2 Haitian Men and 1 Jamaican Man. I told a few of my friends about this. The both of them stated that Jamaican men are violent and Haitian men are posessive. I am now concerned about going out with any of them. But I am a rebel I am still going to setup a date with all of them. Have any of you found these theories to be true or the complete opposite?

Some Jamaican and Haitian men are violent and possessive. Some are COMPLETELY the opposite. Don't let anyone else tell you how someone they haven't even met acts. Go out with them and find out for yourself!

My husband is Haitian and he is an exemplary man. Exceptional in every way. I only wish more of my sisters could experience what it is like to be with a man like him. I find myself trying to do better in every aspect of my life for myself (always) but also because he is the kind of man that deserves an equally wonderful partner in life.
Don't go by stereotypes. Judge for yourself.

This was beautifully said.

IMHO:

If all you can see when you look at a man is all the others before him that were 'dogs, mean, and nasty' either you need to take off the shades, or move. You attract who you are...:blush:

Back