Hair straightening pill?

Would you take a pill to change your hair texture to curlier or straighter?

• Yes! I'd be the first to try.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Yes, if the pill had long term studies & effects were reversible.

Votes: 58 33.7%
  • No way, no how.

Votes: 103 59.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You know what? I tried to stay out of this thread, really i did. But this ish needs to be said...

I really feel sorry for the folks' up in here who think their own natural hair is undesirable. That must be a terrible burden to carry around, thinking that what grows out of your own head is bad and ugly.

To think that a hair texture that you would NEVER be able to attain naturally (straight hair) is the ideal, the end all be all, REALLY leads me to believe people don't like who they are...dare i say hate. If i were a white woman, nobody could tell me nothing because the proof is in the pudding...droves of black women wishing and hoping and wanting that they could attain what i possessed naturally? i would be clowning the ish out of a majority of black women and really no one would be able to make a case for themselves, lol. Sad.

see, this is what i'm getting at. what leads you (collective "you" of people playing the self-hate card) to these conclusions? because i would prefer a looser curl patter (i don't want straight hair btw) i must hate who i am and what god gave me? i think that train of thought is ridiculous. if we go there, where's the line? if i always wanted bigger boobs and got me some fun bags from dr. ray, i must have always hated myself. if i come from a family with jacked up teeth and i consult the fanciest orthodontist to straighten and whiten them, i must be spitting on the gene pool that gave me those teeth. oh, not to mention that i hate being black and want to be white. what has one got to do with the other? you have decided to categorically psychoanalyze every person that thinks a change in hair texture would benefit them in some way (self esteem, manageability, whatever their reason) and claim that they are sad and they MUST be exhibiting the unfortunate ramifications of generational brain washing to believe that their being black is ugly. why do you do that? i can't seem to understand how one can be so judgmental.

They'll start with the hair

Eventually they'l come out with an all encompassing pill that will be the cure to blackness....and you know what? That will fly off the shelves too.

why does it have to be a "cure blackness" thing? why is everything so black and white?

That makes two of us, so knowledge is not at the point of debate here, but perspective. I am not referring to the entire ideology of Nazism, the Holocaust or whatever else you have mentioned in previous posts, but Nazi eugenic experiments.

At the end of the day, I think it's best to agree to disagree, because I we both seem to feel very strongly about this subject. But when God stirs something it me that makes me feel unsettled the way that I do hearing about this, I can't avoid expressing the first thing that comes to my mind.

Like some people said - Gattaca is going to be the real deal.

you are absolutely right, two educated individuals with strongly opposing opinions must agree to disagree. and just as god moves you to call out what you feel is self-hate tactic, i feel equally moved to call out when i feel people are being unfairly judged based on assumptions their accusers cannot truly justify without knowing their life. i appreciate how we can discuss this without it getting ugly, aftrodeutsche, really. i have seen some topics on this board create enemies. thanks for that.

I think the main reason (aside from society) many black women do not wear their hair natural is because they assume a relaxer has to be applied in order to have long hair. If you notice many women on this site become APL, BSL or even WL and realize they CAN grow their hair and begin the transition to natural hair.
I really feel many that don't are just more comfortable caring for relaxed hair. I've been both relaxed and natural however my knowledge of relaxed hair is far more advance than that of natural hair and find it easier to care for relaxed hair because that's what I had when my hair began growing. I LOVE my natural hair, I just became tired of the up keep....
That may change again if I ever become BSL....

Last edited:
All it would take is for someone well-respected on the board to do it and then everyone else would follow suit. And, don't let Beyonce take it.

Naw son..I'm just gonna have to sit this one out.

I relax my hair and love getting my swang on as much as the next person, but this is doing too much.
Firstly, this is a pill that is messing with your DNA, and even with everything that is known about genetics in general, genetic engineering is still some seriously uncharted territory. I'm not trying to take a pill, thinking that I'm getting straight hair, and then wake up with a wee-wee :lachen::lachen::lachen: THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I THOUGHT OF!!!! :lachen:instead (sorry if that offended anyone, it was just the worst thing I could think of besides death). It's not that serious to me. :nono: And if we're drawing examples from movies, then let me direct your attention to two of my favorites, Spiderman and The Hulk. The Green Goblin was messing with his DNA, look what happened to him. Same with Bruce Banner. I'm serious.

And then, the whole changing your baby's hair texture before he/she is born....what in the world? That is problematic on so many levels, and it's a slippery slope as well. It'll start with hair, and then it'll be eyes, then skin, then facial features and bone structure, then internal things like personality and athletic ability, and then you have a Gattaca-type situation on your hands. No bueno. :nono:
And, if that does happen, I'm kind of afraid of what will happen to black people. European features are most desirable in society, so if you have everyone making their babies look white....will black people become extinct? Or at least an endangered group?

Maybe I'm being catastrophic.
Whatever, no pill for me. That's all. If I want my hair straight, I'll just stick to relaxing and flat ironing.

MY thing is because I am relaxed doesn't mean I don't embrace my beauty. FOR ME and this IS FOR ME, I can blow dry my hair straight, very straight, no flat iron needed, but I want to maintain it without reverting, I'd be doing more damage frying every second then relaxing it. I have been natural and relaxed neither bother me but I don't look down upon anyone for their choices and I DON't PUSH the the issue either.

There is no your more black or more this than me because I am relaxed and you choose not to be it is a choice, end of story! AND Heck no straight hair isn't that serious to be taking a pill, I don't even like asprin for headaches never the less pills, I drink tea for pain

Last edited:
AND Heck no straight hair isn't that serious to be taking a pill, I don't even like asprin for headaches never the less pills, I drink tea for pain
I'm the SAME way!! I always try to avoid taking all these pharmaceuticals they shove down our throats in this country. If I'm in so much pain during that time of the month that I cave and take a motrin for the one day, I feel like a failure:giggle:

I guess this will be just another one of the thousands of pills they market to us *shrugs* they had a prescription pill for legs that fall asleep and created a condition called "restless leg syndrome" I shouldnt be surprised by this......

I'm the SAME way!! I always try to avoid taking all these pharmaceuticals they shove down our throats in this country when If I'm in so much pain during that time of the month that I cave and take a motrin for the one day, I feel like a failure:giggle:

I guess this will be just another one of the thousands of pills they market to us *shrugs* they had a prescription pill for legs that fall asleep and created a condition called "restless leg syndrome" I shouldnt be surprised by this......

WE must be twins of the body cause I REFUSE to take the drugs and I too feel like a failure when I do cave in, I am like girl your weak, your getting weak, when giving birth to my four boys people were like your going to cave in and get the epidoral, NOPE! 10 CEntimeters and a sister was like where is the TEA! LOL:lachen::lachen:

Last son I caved into the after pills though, he broke my coxial bone and I couldn't think, Boobs hurting, butt bone hurting I couldn't lay down normally, I caved!

Last edited:
WE must be twins of the body cause I REFUSE to take the drugs and I too feel like a failure when I do cave in, I am like girl your weak, your getting weak, when giving birth to my four boys people were like your going to cave in and get the epidoral, NOPE! 10 CEntimeters and a sister was like where is the TEA! LOL:lachen::lachen:
You're my hero!!!:meme: I hope thats me, I'm so natural that when I'm married I plan to have an at home water birth with a mid-wife, my womens studies course really cemented that with me when she had us watch the movie "the business of being born" it showed me that birth can really be a bearable smooth process. Thats awesome!! I'm a HUGE green tea drinker myself:yep:

Last son I caved into the after pills though, he broke my coxial bone and I couldn't think, Boobs hurting, butt bone hurting I couldn't lay down normally, I caved!
3 outta 4 is three more then most you should be proud!!:yep:

All it would take is for someone well-respected on the board to do it and then everyone else would follow suit. And, don't let Beyonce take it.

Bolded: It wouldn't even take that! lol.

This crap would be flying off of shelves, blacks would be jumping for joy.

You know we'd risk a lot just for the end result of not looking like ourselves... and permanently too? without having to take a pill each month for touch-up purposes?? That'd be the icing on the cake...lmao

Even if there were wayward side effects, folks' would still be up in here talin' about "Oh well, sure, i've got to wear corrective lenses bc i've lost 45% of the vision in both eyes and now have glaucoma at age 23, but my hair is just to die for!"

Or " Sure i'm now prone to frequent and violent mood swings but ive got my lifetime supply of lithium to take care of that as well as swang and shine!"

lol this ish is too funny.

And, yes, i am being judgmental :) .Folks are judgmental on this board all day every day (about people who don't have a college degree, baby mammas, folks who are 'shacking' , promiscuous, or sleep with married men, aren't virgins, or rent apts instead of owning property, who bleach their skin, or are fat, or ugly, who have certain type of jobs, live in certain parts of the country, etc etc etc etc etc etc.)

I'm the SAME way!! I always try to avoid taking all these pharmaceuticals they shove down our throats in this country. If I'm in so much pain during that time of the month that I cave and take a motrin for the one day, I feel like a failure:giggle:

Uh....restless leg syndrome is real.

It's not for legs that fall asleep either. It's a nervous condition.

I suffer from it everyday and have since I was a child. I thought that was pretty normal and what EVERYONE did. But now there is an actual name for it.

Sometimes, I can't sleep because of it and it keeps me awake at night. It's pretty awful!!!:nono:

More passing judgement......

Please continue....

Last edited:
Uh....restless leg syndrome is real.I suffer from it everyday and have since I was a child. I thought that was pretty normal and what EVERYONE did. But now there is an actual name for it.

Sometimes, I can't sleep because of it and it keeps me awake at night. It's pretty awful!!!:nono:

Please continue....
I'm sorry your going thru that, however if you watch the commercial for the pill, they say, do you ever have a tingling sensation in your legs that feels like its creeping when you've sat down for a long time? If so....ask your doctor for this prescription pill!! Thats encouraging people to be hypochondriacs, over-diagnose normal bodily occurrences into a pathology that is typically very benign in the general population.

Obviously this isnt in reference to someone who actually has an acute illness. I think it was pretty clear what I was referencing.

Uh....restless leg syndrome is real.

It's not for legs that fall asleep either. It's a nervous condition.

I suffer from it everyday and have since I was a child. I thought that was pretty normal and what EVERYONE did. But now there is an actual name for it.

Please continue....

THANK YOU!!!
restless leg syndrome is NOT a joke. My aunt suffered from it and it gave her horrible and pain and anxiety as she could never get any rest because of it. Let's not perpetuate falsehoods....

I'm sorry your going thru that, however if you watch the commercial for the pill, they say, do you ever have a tingling sensation in your legs that feels like its creeping when you've sa down for a long time? If so....ask your doctor for this prescription pil!! Thats encouraging people to be hypochondriacs, over-diagnose normal bodily occurrences into a pathology that is typically very benign in the general population.

Obviously this isnt in reference to someone who actually has an acute illness. I think it was pretty clear what I was referencing.

I don't need to watch the commercial for the pill. I actually took the time out to read about the condition...good and the bad. That commercial was made from drug companies trying to make a buck who could care less about people who actually suffer from the condition. I understand that point.

"I guess this will be just another one of the thousands of pills they market to us *shrugs* they had a prescription pill for legs that fall asleep and created a condition called "restless leg syndrome" I shouldn't be surprised by this......"

Your post stated that this condition was "created" just to market us a pill?

You can't be serious.

Did I make this up in my mind? I don't think so. You should actually read more about the syndrome than listening to a commercial to get your information.

That is...if you care.

If not...continue on. :yep:

I don't need to watch the commercial for the pill. I actually took the time out to read about the condition...good and the bad. That commercial was made from drug companies trying to make a buck who could care less about people who actually suffer from the condition. I understand that point.

"I guess this will be just another one of the thousands of pills they market to us *shrugs* they had a prescription pill for legs that fall asleep and created a condition called "restless leg syndrome" I shouldn't be surprised by this......"

Your post stated that this condition was "created" just to market us a pill?

You can't be serious.

Did I make this up in my mind? I don't think so. You should actually read more about the syndrome than listening to a commercial to get your information.

That is...if you care.

If not...continue on. :yep:
ok dang! people just saying things are made up around here!! whoa!!

I suffer from it too! Its very real!!!!!

didn't read back yet.....but yeah.......wow!!!!!!!

When I saw the way they were naming pretty much every normal bodily function as a possible reason for this condition and why you should take the pill.....yes I did look at it as an invented condition, I see that on that assertion I was wrong, I'll admit that.

I'm glad we're in agreement that big pharma doesn't care a lick about this condition and is just tryna turn a profit, that was the central theme of my post, this particular condition was simply a tangential example, it wasn't central to my argument so theres really no need to be up in arms.

Back on topic......

Last edited:
This is why making broad generalizations of people you've never met doesn't work. And not YOU specifically. What works for you in your life doesn't necessarily work for everyone else.

THis argument is teetering dangerously close to the relaxed and natural argument. Everyone has a preference and it isn't always self hatred.

Trust me, I'm not "up in arms" but you're diminishing what other people have to go through just to make a point, and not even know what restless leg syndrome really is.

Last edited:
you are absolutely right, two educated individuals with strongly opposing opinions must agree to disagree. and just as god moves you to call out what you feel is self-hate tactic, i feel equally moved to call out when i feel people are being unfairly judged based on assumptions their accusers cannot truly justify without knowing their life. i appreciate how we can discuss this without it getting ugly, aftrodeutsche, really. i have seen some topics on this board create enemies. thanks for that.

I too appreciate the mature discussion people can have here and I'm not out to create enemies. :nono:

*sighs* Let's be clear I have nothing against those that have restless leg syndrome, (obviously) I took exception to the reckless behavior of the phamaceutical companies pushing the pills. Let's get that established.

Finally no one even brought up relaxers in this thread so if someone feels compelled to introduce that topic and proclaim they're just as black and on and on as if people didn't already know (which we all do) then thats really on you. This thread isn't even discussing relaxers people need to be more secure in their beauty decisions and not feel the need for every poster to agree with their world view to feel secure. I'm not talking about anyone specifically I'm talking about that behavior overall.

Why didn't I read this thread before? So interesting! 3 eyes and legs coming out of the stomach- see this is why I despise sci-fi. :lol:

Anyway, when we take pills like biotin, use chemicals like monistat OR herbs, soak our hair in ayurvedic oils overnight or do whatever to make our hair grow faster or stronger etc, how do we suppose they work if not by altering our DNA or affecting some biological process?

Nah, I would not take the pill even if it were temporary.I love the texture of my hair and the versatility. I do relax it, I actually enjoy the relaxing process. I just love doing stuff to my hair changing the texture internally would take some of the fun away!

Somehow I think that with a change in texture may also come a change in thickness and strength. I can't see this pill being specific enough for just one target. Simply because they don't fully understand the mechanisms of this 'curly gene' expression. Theyre are many gene based therapies that have been for years available whose target gene expression and regulation are not fully understood. Genetics is rarely straightforward.

*sighs* Let's be clear I have nothing against those that have restless leg syndrome, (obviously) I took exception to the reckless behavior of the phamaceutical companies pushing the pills. Let's get that established.

Finally no one even brought up relaxers in this thread so if someone feels compelled to introduce that topic and proclaim they're just as black and on and on as if people didn't already know (which we all do) then thats really on you. This thread isn't even discussing relaxers people need to be more secure in their beauty decisions and not feel the need for every poster to agree with their world view to feel secure. I'm not talking about anyone specifically I'm talking about that behavior overall.

I agree totally. I'm glad that the pharmaceutical companies have something that could give relief to those, including myself that helps with RLS.

And furthermore, you're right. People should be more secure in their beauty decisions including the ones making the judgements against others who are the least bit affected by those decisions.

No I wouldnt take it.

I actually like the idea of it though, because now I think people will respect curly/natural hair more. If anyone can have straight hair growing from their heads, then I think curly hair will be more valued, and people will know that you love your hair, and now more black women will know that they can have their hair either curly or straight, because some black women still think that relaxers are the only way, I think it will make more people aware of natural hair.

I wouldnt really see a problem with people taking it either if its safe. If you want straight hair, then thats a really easy way to get it, if everyone knows about the pill its not like people can walk around faking like thats their natural hair texture.

I wonder what the hair will look like. I think the pill will make your hair straight, but probally not silky- so would your hair grow out like a blowdry? I think you will still need to do something to your hair for it to look "good", iron, rollerset, somthing....Will still have to moisturize and oil....
Some people might walk around looking a mess thinking all they have to do is take that hair pill.

Who knows, interesting.

Question 1: No, I probably wouldn't mess with my unborn babies genetics for them to have straight hair. For practical reasons, I'm sure if it's a girl she'll blame me because she probably would have loved having curly hair.

Question 2: Yea, I'd prob take a pill to make my hair straight barring any weird/dangerous side effects. It's just like getting a relaxer- it's only effective for as long as you use it, right? So if I want my natural curl pattern, I'd transition. I don't see what the fuss is about. it's not a "blackness" issue, is it? It's a preference. WHY ppl what that preference is another question all together.

Why didn't I read this thread before? So interesting! 3 eyes and legs coming out of the stomach- see this is why I despise sci-fi. :lol:

Anyway, when we take pills like biotin, use chemicals like monistat OR herbs, soak our hair in ayurvedic oils overnight or do whatever to make our hair grow faster or stronger etc, how do we suppose they work if not by altering our DNA or affecting some biological process?

DNA and biological processes are two completely different things...you can change a biological process and it won't affect your DNA. I know that I'm not going to be changing my DNA when I pre-poo with my Amla oil.
Personally, I have no problem with pills that alter biological processes, basically, because that's pretty much how all pills work. And we take those pills now...garlic to keep hair from shedding, biotin to make hair and nails grow faster, green tea to speed up metabolism and aid in detoxing the body, birth control to keep the body from producing eggs...nothing wrong with that stuff, imo.

But DNA is a whole other kettle of fish. I don't know of any pills out right now that will alter someone's DNA.

Last edited:
this is pretty scary. imagine being able to take this then the black race (or any race that uses it) will lose one of the things that makes us who we are, we'll lose part of ourselves.

I hope this never is released or atleast that most black ppl are comfortable with themselves enough not to take it.

On more than one occasion my mother has uttered the words; "You better stop listening to dem white folks. They don't know everything." For me, this situation is one where I can hear her voice speaking those words over and over.

It would not matter what research they did nor how many test dummies they used; I could never trust any pill that would alter my DNA. I believe my God made no mistakes with me. If straight hair was supposed to be mine, my mother and father would have had it and in turn so would I. Who am I to question/alter what God has blessed me with?

Honestly, it wasn't until a few months ago that I realized that my hair was much more versatile, healthy, beautiful, and sexy in its natural state. Before that time I would have never considered being natural because of the mis-education of the negro in me. My self-education has taught me a great deal about my hair, heart, and mind. Every day I sing because I am happy with my gifts.

I tell my daughter (100% never relaxed hair) all the time, you have hair that is unique. You can straighten your hair using various techniques whenever you get ready, however those with straighter hair can never get curls as tight as yours no matter how much money they pay. Love your hair, God thought you were special enough to have hair that only a select group of people were worthy of. I even asked her (14 yrs old) if she wanted a relaxer, she looked at me like my breath stank and said, naw I’m OK. Mind you when she was younger, 9 or 10 yrs old, she would beg for a relaxer. Her friend telling her about the smell and the sting when its been on too long coupled with my new found hair care routine have made her fall head over heels with her hair. Thank God!

Back