Hair straightening pill?

Would you take a pill to change your hair texture to curlier or straighter?

• Yes! I'd be the first to try.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Yes, if the pill had long term studies & effects were reversible.

Votes: 58 33.7%
  • No way, no how.

Votes: 103 59.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DNA and biological processes are two completely different things...you can change a biological process and it won't affect your DNA. I know that I'm not going to be changing my DNA when I pre-poo with my Amla oil.
Personally, I have no problem with pills that alter biological processes, basically, because that's pretty much how all pills work. And we take those pills now...garlic to keep hair from shedding, biotin to make hair and nails grow faster, green tea to speed up metabolism and aid in detoxing the body, birth control to keep the body from producing eggs...nothing wrong with that stuff, imo.

But DNA is a whole other kettle of fish. I don't know of any pills out right now that will alter someone's DNA.

Thanks for your post Chaosbutterfly. I agree with you on that you may not change your DNA by changing a process. But changing a process may involve regulation at the DNA level. Case in point: biotin. When we take vitamins or eat healthy- all those good chemicals are doing something to affect our genes- that's how we prevent misregulation & disease.

What I'm saying is that we don't know which of these things we put on our hair are changing our DNA- in any event they're changing our biology.

Now whether our kids will inherit those changes is a whole different story.

Wow! It is increadilby ironic that a hypothetical thread was posted before about this very issue. And let's be for serious for 2 seconds. If 80% of black women (and women of other ethnicities) are already willing to endure 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd degree chemical burns for straight hair, marketing this pill should be as easy as offering water to somebody whose dying of thirst after spending 30 days in the Sahara desert

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=89465&highlight=would+you+take+pill+change

:lachen:LOL!!!

Maybe I shouldnt laugh. Sad but soo ture! We have been taught that our hair is ugly and "punishment" from God. We have to live up to this white man's idea of beauty, and "fix" our hair so we will be more pleasant to look at. My Rasta friend told me thats how Dread Locks got there name....the European man dreaded looking at our nappy locked hair.

Sooo Freak NO!!! I love my curly 4-super-B hair!!

[/QUOTE]When we take vitamins or eat healthy- all those good chemicals are doing something to affect our genes- that's how we prevent misregulation & disease.

What I'm saying is that we don't know which of these things we put on our hair are changing our DNA- in any event they're changing our biology.

Now whether our kids will inherit those changes is a whole different story.[/QUOTE]

Again you can't change your genetic code. That article which you stated means to change your genetic expression. Those are two totally different things.

[/QUOTE]My Rasta friend told me thats how Dread Locks got there name....the European man dreaded looking at our nappy locked hair. [/QUOTE]

I thought the Rastafari called it dreadlocks because it meant a "dread" or fear of God. Wearing their hair like that was a religious statement.

**Shrugs**

Wow! It is increadilby ironic that a hypothetical thread was posted before about this very issue. And let's be for serious for 2 seconds. If 80% of black women (and women of other ethnicities) are already willing to endure 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd degree chemical burns for straight hair, marketing this pill should be as easy as offering water to somebody whose dying of thirst after spending 30 days in the Sahara desert

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=89465&highlight=would+you+take+pill+change

That is the sad thing about this whole thing...and...It could mostly be black women buying into this crap!! Let the lemmings follow suit.

JinaRicci said....

Now whether our kids will inherit those changes is a whole different story.

That is something to think about right there.

Aside from my immediate horror and revulsion at the thought of this pill, I also wonder about the price. This has got to be expensive. People are going to be getting evicted from their houses because they had to get their "fix".

Taking some biotin or MSM or eating right does not change your DNA. :perplexed

Vitamins, minerals and nutrients are basically the raw materials that your body uses to function. For example, vitamin B6 isn't going to go into your body and change the structure of your DNA... but it will be used to produce antibodies, blood cells and many other things.

:ohwell:

Last edited:

Vitamins, minerals and nutrients are basically the raw materials that your body uses to function. Vitamin B isn't going to go into your body and change the structure of your DNA.

oh I know that Neith, of course

just saying popping a pill to change texture isnt something new

who knows what all that mega dosing of pure sulfur would do, but was not suggesting it's the same at all ....nono

Vitamins, minerals and nutrients are basically the raw materials that your body uses to function. For example, vitamin B isn't going to go into your body and change the structure of your DNA... but it will be used to produce antibodies, blood cells and many other things.

Thank you for saying that....:yep:

oh I know that Neith, of course

just saying popping a pill to change texture isnt something new

who knows what all that mega dosing of pure sulfur would do, but was not suggesting it's the same at all ....nono

I just didn't think everyone understood that though. There were just some interesting things being said about vitamins and supplements.

Not even trying to be smart arse here. :lol: just... vitamins don't do that. Fact.

Thank you for saying that....:yep:

lol, no problem.

All it would take is for someone well-respected on the board to do it and then everyone else would follow suit. And, don't let Beyonce take it.

LOL true remember how much backlash Southerntease got for doing the BKT? A few months later it was the new bandwagon

Just wanted to say that no wonder there's so much cancer and other diseases in the world, how can this possibly be safe? I'm in no way condemning anybody that would want to take this pill, but I'd be more concerned about 10, 20, 30 years down the line when these women get sick just because a corporation wanted to make a profit.

I'm all for conspiracy theories LOL

I would happily take a pill that would make my hair straighter! and not feel anyway about it.(if it was proved safe) Dealing with my hair is hard. Im sorry I love it, but its PAINFUL and time consuming ( 4 hrs to blow dry and straighten, my head still hurts 3 days after. kmt!), It doesnt make me any less 'black' or African, I love me, I love how I look, I hate dealing with my hair a lot of the time. if I could have 3a,b,hair flowing out of my scalp sign me up, Im sure I would be in a lot less pain

Im very sure a pill can not change DNA coding, i am assuming based on the reading that It works my sending messages to the receptor cells in the hair follicle to reposition themselves and 'act' differently, thats not so bad, but from a scientific point of view...this probably wouldn't be permanent and someone would have to keep taking them *sigh* That would be my down fall because I hate taking pills!

great thread as well. :)

:hair: to :afro: doesn't sound too bad to me, all things considered...

Don't want my DNA altered, but I wouldn't mind hair that didn't single-strand knot all day long...

:hide:

cj

I would happily take a pill that would make my hair straighter! and not feel anyway about it.(if it was proved safe) Dealing with my hair is hard. Im sorry I love it, but its PAINFUL and time consuming ( 4 hrs to blow dry and straighten, my head still hurts 3 days after. kmt!), It doesnt make me any less 'black' or African, I love me, I love how I look, I hate dealing with my hair a lot of the time. if I could have 3a,b,hair flowing out of my scalp sign me up, Im sure I would be in a lot less pain
The bolded stuck out to me and if you'd like, I can help.

What is your current straightening technique? Do you section your hair? What kind of blowdryer and flat iron do you have? Simply blowdrying your hair shouldnt take that long nor should it be painful. I've seen your youtube videos and they're lovely:yep: we have the same hair type and it takes me like 35 minutes to blowdry my whole head thoroughly.

If you click on my blog and view one of my most recent straightening sessions it takes me on average about 2 hrs blowdrying and flat ironing combined....maybe I can help you out with your technique:yep:

Last edited:
So, just for giggles, let's say this pill can change your hair to the exact texture you want. You know, so it looks like a 2A or 3A or a nicely waved braid out (like Empressri) or Irresistible's natural wave and strength. Hmm, not just for bone straight hair but it will relax or tighten my texture to MY IDEAL type and without any biological consequences?
Yeah. I'd do it in a nanosecond.

I dont think some of you are reading this correctly. It says the pill can make your hair curlier OR straighter. no one is trying to "cure" curly hair. Just giving you the option and i dont see a problem with that. If it was a magic pill that made my hair straighter right away id go for it. My hair doesnt define me and i like constant change. Im not opposed straightening my hair, just using chemicals. It would be fun to rock a super dense afro on monday and then a tousled wavy look on tuesday. I probably wouldnt take the actual pill because id be too scared of the long term effects but i dont think anyone is trying to say down with curly hair.

The bolded stuck out to me and if you'd like, I can help.

What is your current straightening technique? Do you section your hair? What kind of blowdryer and flat iron do you have? Simply blowdrying your hair shouldnt take that long nor should it be painful. I've seen your youtube videos and they're lovely:yep: we have the same hair type and it takes me like 35 minutes to blowdry my whole head thoroughly.

If you click on my blog and view one of my most recent straightening sessions it takes me on average about 2 hrs blowdrying and flat ironing combined....maybe I can help you out with your technique:yep:

I wish it was my technique..lol, I section my hair into 10!, lol, anything smaller then that then I end up with a big mess. Ive use the tention method,the comb method, every method Ive seen thoes with 4 type hair have success with. If my hair could blow dry and straighten Like some of u guys then I woulds be happy...but it doesn't, so I keep it moving and love my hair for what it is, but still saying, if the pill was found to be safe, sign me up!

the pain...probably im tender headed, but having 'tuff' hair doesnt help...which is weird as it is very very soft to the touch :ohwell:

Typical.

No I would not take it. I would not trust it as being safe. I'm pretty sure 10 years after it being made public, someone would grow a third tittay or something.

Now if there were an absolutely safe option where I would not have to worry about touch ups and my NG fighting my relaxed hair after 10 weeks post, then I'd be all for it. However, this is pretty much unrealistic and never gona happen because such product would not really be absolutely safe.

If anyone else chooses to take it, it's their hair, their life. If you don't, congrats *shrug*

I've been reading up on this pill research and this isn't a new thing. L'oreal has been working on this since at least 2005. Honestly, I would be the first one to say sign me up because my hair texure is fine, fragile, and tightly coiled to the point where regardless of how gentle and careful I am -- I will break strands every time I attempt to comb. I may be a newbie to the forums but Im no newbie when it comes to my hair. I have always admired those who can grow out their hair long or have huge face swallowing afros but my hair just doesn't do its best when left in its most natural nappy state. To grow my hair it needs to stay in a pressed or covered state or else the knots and breakage from maintenance would get crazy. I would love a looser hair pattern that would allow me to grow my hair with out using a bunch of hot tools to get it straight or wash-n-go without the fear of dreads by the end of the day.

Judge me all you want, but I don't agree with folks saying that I must hate what God gave me if I wanted my hair more managable w/ the opportunity to grow it longer by taking a pill that would temporarily change the shape of my hair bulb with hormones. To me its as crazy as saying "you must hate yourself for using crest white strips, be happy with those yellow teeth" or "why are you pumping all of those hormones into your body with that birth control". We all make decisions that we feel is best for our own personal happiness, not to please others. And if I want to wake up with my natural hair swingin and strut, I think I will, lol.

first of all! We have to think about this. A hair straightening pill being researched by L'Oreal? A company that has been legally fined for having a racial bias against darker consumers. I don't use their products and I won't be using the pill if it should ever come out. I don't buy into their bleu blanc rouge campaign

Well the article says scientists think they may be able to develop a pill that makes hair straight or curly. So I don't think there is a conspiracy against black folks in particular. Although they would make a killing from us buying it. The biggest purchasers of this pill would probably be white people who don't want to flat iron everyday, or white people who want curly hair.

If they invent a pill that will make my booty nice and shapely, I'll take it. I'd also take a pill that would make it so that I wouldn't have to wear glasses. And the day they invent a pill that makes the nail on my right pointer grow in straight (as opposed to slightly leaning to the left), I would take that too.

It's cosmetics. It's just sad that something that innocent flares up so much skepticism, cynicism, paranoia, and controversy.

Back