Hair Stick/No Breakage Challenge!

Enyo

I thought this would be a fun, easy, and quirky challenge! I think we should use nothing but hair sticks to put up our hair and see if we can reduce breakage from other means of putting up our hair.

1. NO HAIR TIES or anything else! When you put up your hair, it must be with a single, double (set), pronged hair stick(s) made of any material, or non-bobby hair pins. NO EXCUSES! However, putting your hair up with no aids whatsoever is cool.

2. You do not have to put your hair up every day to participate.

3. Stick to your normal hair care regime. The point is to see if simply staying away from more friction-inducing items can make a difference in retention and/or hair quality.

4. Please pay special attention to your ends and the amount of hair you’re losing (if any) when styling and report it to the thread.

Let me know if you’re interested. Also, if you think there should be another “rule”, let me know. Of course, post pics! Also, I think we should start this thing on the 19th of November so people who are “stick-less” can order at least one stick so we can all start at once.

What are hairsticks? Where can you get them? Please Celina's thread here:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hair-care-tips-product-review-discussion/501326-hair-sticks-thread-all-about-hair-sticks-pictures-included.html

Remember: you can use a smooth chopstick (or a set) or a knitting needle. Hairsticks are basically the same thing, but with different kinds of materials and fancy toppings. If you're not sure, use needles or chopsticks to see if you like it! If you're having trouble using them please see the videos in Celina's thread. Also, we are here to help. If you post pics or a video, maybe we can pinpoint what you're doing wrong.

Participants:

Enyo
Jasmineml
SmilingElephant
WyrdWay
indarican
wannabelong
Rei

Last edited:
Welp....I'm in :grin: I'll be wearing my hair up everyday with ABSOLUTELY NO PONYTAIL HOLDERS!!! Sticks are my tool of choice. I'll keep pics posted in my blog in my siggy.

Enyo, nice thread. I haven't wore hair ties since I cut the last of my relaxed ends off last year. I think not wearing hair ties does help with retention and health of the ends. Also, if you don't have a hair stick or fork, Goody Spin Pins are another alternative to wearing hair ties. :yep:

Enyo, nice thread. I haven't wore hair ties since I cut the last of my relaxed ends off last year. I think not wearing hair ties does help with retention and health of the ends. Also, if you don't have a hair stick or fork, Goody Spin Pins are another alternative to wearing hair ties. :yep:

Yeah, when I get my good day hair pins and sticks, I'm throwing all my hair ties away so I am not tempted to use them anymore.

I agree....anything that's not a hair tie should be good. I use goody spin pins, good day pins, forks, sticks, clips. It's all good! I can't wait to officially start!

I want to join but my best buns are done starting with a ponytail held by a hair tie. I might try to do them without the bands. If I can get it right, I may join.

jasmineml - I checked out your blog - I love your pelican clip bun!

I would love to join but I've found that my bonelaxed hair doesn't cooperate that well so I need to perfect my methods. I use a cut up knee hi right now. I've attempted the good days hair pins but they make my buns look way too anorexic. If I can get it right, I'll be back to ETA that I'm joining.

not using hair ties has made a world of difference for me. I would wind them sooooo tight that I would get terrible headaches and sometimes my head would actually go numb :nono:

in my defense when I was little my mom would wrap my ponytails so tight, so I guess I was conditioned at a young age. now I don't see nearly as many broken hairs on a daily basis. It does take some practice though...

I have updated the rules to include the better pins (non bobbies)!

I put one of my knitting needles in this morning just to see and it actually works pretty well. I use bamboo needles because they are smooth and the thread is easy to slip on and off. They glide though my hair. If anyone is near a crafts store or sewing shop, I'd recommend picking up a bamboo needle as a starter. They are cheap (my set was $2.95). I could immediately feel the tension around my edges release, so I'm going to use this needle until my sticks come in. :yep:

I would love to join but I've found that my bonelaxed hair doesn't cooperate that well so I need to perfect my methods. I use a cut up knee hi right now. I've attempted the good days hair pins but they make my buns look way too anorexic. If I can get it right, I'll be back to ETA that I'm joining.

@divachyk Have you tried doing the french twist with a stick? There is a video on the 2nd page of the hair sticks thread.

I want to join but my best buns are done starting with a ponytail held by a hair tie. I might try to do them without the bands. If I can get it right, I may join.

@wavezncurlz Yeah, just play around with it a bit. Also, as I suggested to Diva, the french twist is a great option too. Have you tried the more fancy buns? I was under the impression that many of them are self-anchored and don't need a tie.

Last edited:
I am already using sticks this winter.

A word of caution hair sticks with fake diamond studs can pull hair if hair gets caught in the diamond piece.

Also if one lives near an Asian market, they sell decorative chopsticks for eating but you can use for the hair. They made out of plastic and they are smooth and long. They are a nice choice for those who want to try chopsticks without spending a lot of money.

I want in!!! I'm actually wearing some sticks right now!:grin:

I also have some Goody Spin Pins and the Goody Ouchless Barrette that i use as well....still waiting on my new sticks to arrive in the mail!

I am wearing my sticks without a band today. It's not as secure to me but I need to get used to it. I'm going to give it a whirl. Count me in!

I'm not in the challenge but lurking to learn the techiques, can you post where to buy them in you starter post please?

wavenzncurlz YAY!! It does take some getting used to, but your migraines will thank you lol

Ltown etsy.com is a good place to look. also, I've found some really cheap, really pretty stuff on ebay. You have to look in the hair jewelry or hair accessories categories. I'll post pics of my ebay finds later today.

do the bun covers count... its like a piece of material or leather with an opening for the stick...dont know if im explaining that right.

Enyo, I think I reviewed that before...I will review it again when I get home to refresh my memory. I will be back to update if I was successful in doing the style.

Wow...when I go home this afternoon...I'm going to try this...Especially because I've been doing a wash and go pony...Another Challenge I might be joining...

i plan on asking santa for a LOAD of hair sticks--if the challenge is still going on jan1, I would love to join.

I'm in, how long is this challenge?

WyrdWay That's a good question! How does everyone feel about three months? I think that's a good time to get some growth and really notice the difference in hair condition. I rule by consensus, LOL, so please chime in with suggestions!

Last edited:
i plan on asking santa for a LOAD of hair sticks--if the challenge is still going on jan1, I would love to join.

blueberryd You can start now! All you need are chopsticks or knitting needles. You don't need fancy hair sticks to participate! :)

do the bun covers count... its like a piece of material or leather with an opening for the stick...dont know if im explaining that right.

indarican I know exactly what you mean. Do those use any form of bands to secure themselves? How do they stay on your hair? I would say anything with a clip or band is a no.

Last edited:
Ok, Ladies, I would like to join. I placed an order for 2 crowned Ketylo hairsticks today. I already have a cheap pair I got from Pier 1 that I'm using right now. I've always loved hairsticks but I didn't know how to use them properly, this challenge will keep me on my hairsticks game. :)

Enyo, I got the french twist down! Mine style looks better with the double prong stick than a single stick.

As for the challenge, think I will sit this one out and lurk and post here and there. I just don't think I can commit to 100% usage of hair sticks. I like bunning and typically I use a cut up knee high. Bunning with sticks isn't working for me just yet...I can't get it to work right. The twist, however is gonna be one of my new staple styles.

I'm in! I have been using this as a quick to pin my hair up for the longest. here are a few pics and ideas, even though I'm not as good as CelinaStarr. My thing is, I only can slide the stick in through my right side to the left, I can never do left side to right side.
rc4u42.jpg

15p33eu.jpg

I mostly pin it up though, back up and bangs down (Dont mind the face, it was a looong night at work and had to head straight out to my classes :nono: Tired wasn't the word)
5k4p51.jpg

So can I be in? plllzzzz:grin:

I have been wearing my hair fork for two days now, I slept in it! Are head bands ok for youer hair line? I have some baby hairs that aren't long enought to reach my fork/ stick and I don't want to use gel?

I have been wearing my hair fork for two days now, I slept in it! Are head bands ok for youer hair line? I have some baby hairs that aren't long enought to reach my fork/ stick and I don't want to use gel?

I use them, but only silk ones. I'm VERY finicky about what I put on my head.

Back