Hair Stick/No Breakage Challenge!

I've grown to accept the thickness and coarseness of my hair, but this does make styling harder. Preferably I'd like to have finer, thinner hair because it's so much easier to work with. I frequent the Long Hair Community and I've noticed that those with medium to fine hair make the best buns (or have the easiest time making them at least).

My hair is thin and fine and I hate it. It looks so woeful when I try and do anything with it. :perplexed Your braid is so thick and luxurious. Mine looks like a rat's tail. I wish I had your hair. Buns are about the ONLY thing where having thin hair is a benefit, IMO. And even then, that's only when you have piles of hair. My buns are depressing!

Last edited:
I mastered the French roll well enough to wear it to work with my purple topped stick. I think I'm going to rock the roll more because it's soooo much easier to hide my ends. I also discovered some Kemi pomade in the back of my hair drawer so I'm going to start using that on my ends (where I think most of my hair is coming off).

I have 3 sticks and a prong, but I think I'm going to buy more. Some just look better with a roll, and some with a bun. I wore my horn one yesterday with a roll, but it stuck up in the back and made me look like an Indian. I want something that still slants like this one:

il_570xN.166734152.jpg

...What's that saying about always wanting what we can't have...

True, but in most cultures, long thick hair is generally more desired. Celina is the first person I've heard who wanted THIN hair. I've never seen any products that are "hair thinners" - everything is about making it more thick!

Last edited:
I am going to have to bow out and lurk guys. My buns without ties are really blah and too loose. The hair sticks slide out and my hair is really not being held in well. I guess I don't have breakage problems - mostly holding problems - so I really need the hair ties to keep the buns in. I will still keep abreast of ya'll's progress.

A co-worker annoyed me last week by telling me that my hairsticks were going to break off my hair. She went to beauty school, so of course she thinks she knows everything. I told her, "most of the ladies I know who grew their hair long wore styles that hid their ends" and she called me "hard-headed". Whatever. It's my hair.

How are you ladies doing?

My 2nd order of hairsticks came in this past weekend. I'm still bunning with my sticks. I'm excited because now I have a few pairs to choose from.

My 2nd order of hairsticks came in this past weekend. I'm still bunning with my sticks. I'm excited because now I have a few pairs to choose from.

I find I'm more likely to do it when I have choices. This is my newest stick:

il_570xN.191646442.jpg

Enyo, that stick is so pretty! It looks like an orchid. I'm hanging in there. My webcam photos are not post-worthy. Right now I'm wearing my glass hair stick. I will post picks of the 8 pairs of sticks I have coming in the mail, when they arrive :giggle:

I find that I don't wear my sticks when I feel depressed. I just don't feel like being decorated. :( The hair pins have been great, though. How are you ladies doing?

Thanks Enyo and Janet! Enyo, I love getting compliments on my hairsticks. It's kinda like positive reinforcement lol. Kind of gives me motivation!

Ya'll i think i'm gonna have to drop out this challenge. I have 7 months worth of ng on my head right now and some of my styling days call for a good scrunchie:yep:

But i'll still be rocking sticks some days i just can't commit to it everyday.:perplexed

What are you hairstick ladies doing for the colder weather? I'm still wearing my hairsticks, but obviously I need to protect my hair from the harsh cold weather. I crochet so I'm looking for patterns for tams. I have a really good pattern, now I just gotta find out how to line it :D

What are you hairstick ladies doing for the colder weather? I'm still wearing my hairsticks, but obviously I need to protect my hair from the harsh cold weather. I crochet so I'm looking for patterns for tams. I have a really good pattern, now I just gotta find out how to line it :D

I'm making sure I use a water-based moisturizer every day. It works well!

I just make sure I moisturize and seal: once in the am and then before going to bed.

I can now successfully do a pencil bun on flat ironed hair!!! I think this will be my go-to style for the winter. I'm at work on my iPod right now. I'll be back with pics after 7.

I've been feeling un-pretty lately, so no sticks. Also, I'm scared I'm going to stab a coworker.

^^^Oh no @Enyo...:bighug: :bighug: I'm sorry that you are feeling down!!! In that case, put the sticks down!!! :bighug:

How's everyone else doing?

Back