Hair Stick/No Breakage Challenge!

I want to join! I'm going to use this with my new method of threading to stretch my hair out so I can use hair sticks. I'm going to start off using a chopstick. I'll take a picture tomorrow if it works out

I'm in! I have been using this as a quick to pin my hair up for the longest. here are a few pics and ideas, even though I'm not as good as CelinaStarr. My thing is, I only can slide the stick in through my right side to the left, I can never do left side to right side.
How do you create the bun look before applying the stick?

Do mentions not work anymore??? I'm so confused right now. You miss a few days and you miss everything up in here! Damn!

Anyway, Divachyk...I always gather my hair in a ponytail and twist it from right-to-left. then once the base is wound I just wrap the rest of the hair around (from right-to-left) Then I take my stick and I have to insert that from left-to right. I use 2 hands to insert my stick. I start with my right hand and once it's in I use my left hand to finish inserting and my right hand to hold the bun secure. WHOA...I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Do mentions not work anymore??? I'm so confused right now. You miss a few days and you miss everything up in here! Damn!

I know, isn't that crazy?? I kind of liked the "mentions" because you could basically page people back to a thread.

Oh, I forgot to repost a pic of my favorite stick so far. You know I'm a sucker for anything Hawaiian.

dscf1110m.jpg

Today is "Day 1" of the challenge!! Who remembered to wear their sticks today???
I'm wearing good hair day pins courtesy of Allandra. I love them and keep one in my purse just in case. I try not to put the pin right on my ends, but it seems like my hair always finishes wrapping at the top of the bun where the pin needs to go.

I'll be wearing a pair of sticks I got from ebay today. I will post a pic once I get to my mom's house since my computer is broken and i have no camera :(

I'm wearing my Ketylos today!!! I'll try to post a pic today. :)

"Zebra Girl" toppers on ketylo sticks from Sticks and Stones. I apologize for the pic being so big.

zebragirl.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes...I really want to join, but I don't know how to do the hair sticks w/my natural hair...meaning, typically when I wear hair sticks, they're on straightened hair:perplexed

Yikes...I really want to join, but I don't know how to do the hair sticks w/my natural hair...meaning, typically when I wear hair sticks, they're on straightened hair:perplexed

if you're bsb you can definitely do it. Try it on hair thats been stretched by a twistout or banded/threaded hair.

I would think it'd be easier with natural hair because it's so full. I've not put my sticks in with anything less than total ease. Did you peek in Celina's thread? Most of the pics are of natural heads.

Messy French/bun/roll-thinking with a Purple Moon Design stick. My hair is in need of a wash!!

dscf1149f.jpg

il_570xN.170232695.jpg

How is it coming?

I wore this one today:

il_570xN.191251410.jpg

@Enyo...that's absolutely beautiful!!! I wore my hair in the usual Wash and Go pony with a cut-off tight leg (that I have made into a holder-it stops the breakage)...I think that I need help making my bun with a stick only...Can anyone provide a tutorial?

OK...seriously! I'm moving, my computer has the plague, and I have no access to a camera :cry: I'm supposed to be getting my laptop back tomorrow and I might be getting a new camera for x-mas (hopefully a little earlier :pray:) So i will be more active in the challenge once the planets finally aline, and jupiter revolves around neptune :rolleyes:

YouTube - Style #3: Hair Stick Twist

that video shows a girl with short hair doing it. This is what helped me out.

This is the one I used as well. My hair isn't short per se, but the shrinkage makes it look and feel that way. Sadly, the more moisturized it is, the more it shrinks.

I'm not feeling as peppy, so it's just a good hair days pin today. I'm learning how to tuck my ends deep into my hair and use the sticks and pins anywhere other than on top of where my ends are.

Last edited:
I'm getting more practice making the French roll. It's too messy to wear to work right now, but I really want to get out of the bun. How are you guys getting along?

I'm doing just fine. I'm still using my hairsticks. I find this is my go-to bun with sticks:YouTube - Lazy wrap bun

This is a bun I REALLY want to do. Even though my stretched hair is well past hip length I still can't create this bun for the life of me. I guess my hair is too thick.

Do you have any pics? I really like this bun. SmilingElephant can create this bun too. I really wish I could also. I've practiced so much to no avail. Sometimes my hair really annoys me (sorry for venting).

Thanks for the tutorials ladies! The back of the hair looks fine, it's the front that looks sad...I'm going to wash tonight and stretch my hair so perhaps my hair will cooperate. I'll try to post some pics as well.

This is a bun I REALLY want to do. Even though my stretched hair is well past hip length I still can't create this bun for the life of me. I guess my hair is too thick.

Do you have any pics? I really like this bun. SmilingElephant can create this bun too. I really wish I could also. I've practiced so much to no avail. Sometimes my hair really annoys me (sorry for venting).

...And here I am thinking that my hair is nowhere near long enough to do this...darned if you do and if you don't :drunk::lol:

I'm sorry CelinaStarr. I only have the one pic that I posted with the ketylos and that was only showing the top of the bun. I'll try to get my daughter to take a better pic.

...And here I am thinking that my hair is nowhere near long enough to do this...darned if you do and if you don't :drunk::lol:

My hair is just too big and bulky. When I do manage to get it into the lazy wrap bun, it's shaped funny and sticks out too far. Plus my fingers are short and I have a difficult time wrapping my hair around my fingers. Actually my hair tends to fall off of my fingers as I'm wrapping it because it's so thick.

I've grown to accept the thickness and coarseness of my hair, but this does make styling harder. Preferably I'd like to have finer, thinner hair because it's so much easier to work with. I frequent the Long Hair Community and I've noticed that those with medium to fine hair make the best buns (or have the easiest time making them at least).

Last edited:
CelinaStarr, I have the same problem! I can't make any of the fancy named buns either. My hair is way too thick. It falls off my fingers and then it just doesn't look right. When I straighten it's a little bit easier, but not much. And when my hair is curly it's even harder because of shrinkage.

As for the challenge, I'm going strong! I'm wearing goody spin pins today to air dry until I flat iron tomorrow. Yesterday I wore a pair that I got from ebay, and I just bid on 7 more hairsticks on ebay :look: I can't wait to update my blog :(

My hair is just too big and bulky. When I do manage to get it into the lazy wrap bun, it's shaped funny and sticks out too far. Plus my fingers are short and I have a difficult time wrapping my hair around my fingers. Actually my hair tends to fall off of my fingers as I'm wrapping it because it's so thick.

I've grown to accept the thickness and coarseness of my hair, but this does make styling harder. Preferably I'd like to have finer, thinner hair because it's so much easier to work with. I frequent the Long Hair Community and I've noticed that those with medium to fine hair make the best buns (or have the easiest time making them at least).

I've been going on Long Hair Community too. I love their buns.

Back