No Breakage Regimen

I think I have a break-free regimen

1. Cowash every three days. Protein mixed with moisture con for every cowash - that way my fine hair is strong enough to withstand light detangling. The color-treated ends need moisture more than the non-color-treated ends.

2. Rarely use VERY diluted shampoo. A water bottle with water, baking soda and a little squirt of moisture shampoo cleans my scalp well.

3. Cover ends with conditioner during relaxing

4. MInimize manipulation

5. Sleep on silk/satin

There's some good advice here. :yep:

Re: the shampoo, I found that shampoos with a PH level of 4.5-5.5, are great! Someone said this on the board - can't remember who, but it's been brilliant for me. The Joico k-pak shampoo is just like this, and its creamy and doesn't leave my hair feeling stripped at all - it has SLS. I use it twice a week.

So I'm wondering whether it is the SLS so much or other factors about the shampoo that cause it to make our hair feel a certain way...

Invest in a wig. I know I need to because I'm so sick of my low mani hair "style"
I usually co/wash at least 4-5 times a week and deep condition maybe once a week in the shower with Alter Ego Hot Garlic Treatment or Le Kair Cholesterol or with heat using ORS Hair Mayo or Olive Oil Replenishing packs. Other than that, I detangle with my fingers or Jilbere de Paris comb with conditioner and rinse under the shower, separate into two braids and pins the ends up and slap on a headband.

One big thing for me: The dry rollerset. I love rollersets as my relaxer times goes into stretch mode but all that manipulation of wet hair to smooth it on the rollers is not good. So, I put my hair on rollers first, end paper and all THEN dunk my entire head in the shower until saturated and proceed to drying.

Say... This is quite interesting. I feel the same way about roller setting it became devastating seeing the hair while wet being combed so and that's why I don't even rollerset on wet hair like that much... But on dry, now that's interesting.

Invest in a wig. I know I need to because I'm so sick of my low mani hair "style"
I usually co/wash at least 4-5 times a week and deep condition maybe once a week in the shower with Alter Ego Hot Garlic Treatment or Le Kair Cholesterol or with heat using ORS Hair Mayo or Olive Oil Replenishing packs. Other than that, I detangle with my fingers or Jilbere de Paris comb with conditioner and rinse under the shower, separate into two braids and pins the ends up and slap on a headband.

One big thing for me: The dry rollerset. I love rollersets as my relaxer times goes into stretch mode but all that manipulation of wet hair to smooth it on the rollers is not good. So, I put my hair on rollers first, end paper and all THEN dunk my entire head in the shower until saturated and proceed to drying.

I never thought about that:rolleyes: roller setting dry and then wetting my head hmmmm. I'll have to give that a try.

I know it is not a popular view – but I shampoo regularly – 3-4 times a week. I could not get into co-washing as it seemed to weigh my hair down and it just did not feel like my hair was getting clean – but anyway back to the topic at hand - when applying condish, I concentrate on the ends….I can remember reading this on instructions (before LHCF) but it did not make sense to me then as I would always start at the roots of my hair and work my way down. I would apply a generous amount of condish (moisturizing or protein) on my ends and then apply a small/medium amount on my roots. I also rollerset my hair everytime I wash it….

I do two types of rollersets – I do the full blown all over the head rollersets when I have the time but for the most part (for work) I slick my hair back – use a leave in or lottabody (depends on what type of deep condish I use) and place 3 big rollers in the back and it gives the appearance that I flat ironed or curled with a large barreled curling iron

my edges break easily when i use a satin/silk bonnett. i may need to invest in a satin head scarf instead. the lining around the bonnett breaks my edges.

When I had no breakage, I was following the Motions regimen-my modified version. I need to go back to doing this.
i have been looking for this regimen for a while...it used to be in motion's advertising in certain magazines, but i haven't seen it for years...i remember it involved a lot of washing with conditioner...does anyone remember it?

I've been detangling my hair less (on top of the low mani styles).
If I'm not doing a braidout, I will Wash in by chunky twist, apply the DC to each chunky, rinse with twist, and apply my shea butter mixture to each chunky twisted section without untangling it. My hair looks pretty, pretty, pretty darn good!

Silica supplements!!! And detangling with a slippey (haha, Burghese for "slippery") conditioner. ReneeZoe on Youtube. Well, that's for wash'n wear hair. For flatironed....I dunno. But I know silica is the truff!

I cannot use lye perms. Everytime I use a lye perm my hair breaks off terribly. I dont know why. I really like the shine everyone gets with lye relaxers. I have used the mildest fomulation and only leave on for a few minutes. I can only texturize with Phyto so far. When I tried SE my hair broke horribly and I had to have lots of hair cut off. So I have learned my lesson and I will not try any other lye relaxers.

Otherwise breakage isnt usually my problem.

You know, I do tend to have dry scalp. Ok, I'm putting down the shampoo!

i don't think you need to put down the shampoo; unless you want to, of course. you can switch to a shampoo without sls and you should be fine. i did this awhile ago and it made a big difference. i no longer have dry scalp. i thought it was me, but it was the shampoo.

:bump:

bumping this up!

the more you manipulate your hair, the more breakage you'll get. try this:

1. only detangle on wash days
2. inbetween wash days, keep your hair in a style that can be left alone 100%. french braids, twists, cornrows, hidden up under a weave, etc.
3. stretch out your wash days! i mean, if your hair gets funky, by all means, wash away, but the less frequently you wash, the less manipulation you'll have.

i'm going for a no mainpulation regimen, and attempting to stretch my wash period from every 4 days up to every 8. i wear my hair pulled back in ponytails, pinned up in buns, or tucked away under flat twists or french braids. so far so good!

i have been looking for this regimen for a while...it used to be in motion's advertising in certain magazines, but i haven't seen it for years...i remember it involved a lot of washing with conditioner...does anyone remember it?

I did a search and found the recipe. I tried it for 2 weeks and it works. Granted I only used the CPR. It's a good product:

Here is a recipe that will stop breakage, slow the formation of split ends and thicken broken, frayed hair. It asks that you not shampoo your hair for thirty two days:

1. Rinse hair until the water runs clear.
2. Apply a generous amount of Motions® CPR conditioner.
3. Massage into hair as you would a shampoo.
4. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes.
5. Rinse with room-temperature water.
6. Apply Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion.
7. Apply Motions Oil Sheen.
8. Dry and style your hair.
9. Apply Motions hairdressing every morning.

You will notice a difference immediately. You hair will feel thicker and softer. Repeat this procedure every four days, for one full month.

10. The tenth treatment starts with the same warm water rinse then lather with CPR shampoo.
11. Rinse lightly.
12. Apply a generous amount of Motions CPR conditioner.
13. Rinse with room-temperature water after three minutes.
14. Apply Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion.
15. Apply Motions Salon Sheen.
16. Dry and style your hair.

Continue the shampoo & conditioner treatment weekly until your hair is long and thick as desired.

• If your house is dry, keep a pot of simmering water on the stove during the day for
• Normal pillowcases will absorb oil from your hair, so buy a few satin pillowcases.
• Massage your scalp nightly to promote oil secretion.

For me no breakage consists of babying my hair while detangling.

I lost length by litteraly ripping a comb through my hair back in the day...As long as I detangle like I have the good sense the lord gave me im fine.

I dont wear ponytails or straight hair a lot because I workout a lot so my hair is usually braided into a bun and I dont really see any breakage from that

Currently...

I am having zero breakage...(fingers crossed)..but my regimen is quite simple.......

........After I get out of the shower...I apply my oils ( Glycerin and African Herbal Oil(?))..use one of my magic hair pins..and pin up my hair and apply my satin scarf. I am 9 weeks post and my hair is thriving wonderfully!
HTH

Hmmm...I've never thought about skipping the leave in conditioner and applying my oils. When you do that, are your applying it to the whole length of your hair or just the ends? Also, is it like an oil rinse (where you put it in on your hair and then rinse with cold water so just a little remains) or do you keep it all on your hair and then go to sleep?

I'm thinking I might try that but I want to make sure I have it right!

~ Ms. Kain

PS> I love your Siggie! You ain't lying when you say that Raheem DeVaughn is underrated! When I hear "Desire", Believe in Me" and "You" I am wideeeeee open and believe me, that's hard to do! LOL! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
One thing that helped me was tossing a satin covered pillow on the couch, so when I'm watching tv and laying down my hair is protected.

when i was relaxed, i used to get breakage too in the crown area.

i narrowed it down to:

overprocessing -- the relaxed strands were weaker than my new growth, especially at the line of demarcation.
mechanical damage/breakage -- from combing my hair "regularly" -- from hairline on backwards. i began to notice every time the comb hit my crown area, i'd get hair coming out or breaking. i think it had to do with combing through too quickly in the crown -- where the angle of your scalp dips sharply. i found that if i instead combed my hair from the top down to the sides, vs. from my hairline backwards, i lost much less hair this way.

For me I noticed I got little to no breakage when I either
1.do a pre poo with mane and tail conditioner mixed with coconut oil.
2.Use roux porosity control before I DC.
3.Use aphogee keratin and green tea after I was on damp hair before I blow dry.
4.Use CSI on dry hair before flat ironing.
5.Using salerm 21 b5 to moisturize and coconut oil to seal.

This is key.

Preventing breakage means different things to different people. For me, it means moisturizing at least every night and DC weekly and keeping protein to a min. But there are women on here who dont moisturize everyday because their hair will be limp and weighed down and some need more protein than moisture(usually women with fine hair, it seems) . It really depends on how your hair feels.

Also make sure you protect your ends during the relaxing process by putting oil or conditioner on your ends and avoid overlapping. The moisture/protein balance doesnt mean anything if the relaxer is being applied improperly.

I'm still experiencing more breakage than I think I should and I think the bolded is me! I'm going to try this. Thanks!

i use hairveda amla cream rinse to cleanse my hair...it's like a Hair One or Wen type product. no SLS, no suds, no detergent. my hair gets clean, but not stripped.

i deep condition with heat at least once a week.

prepooing has made a huge difference for me with breakage and tangles.

tie my hair up at night with a silk scarf.

wear low manipulation styles as often as possible.

for me i had to get rid of prods with ingredients like mineral oil, petroleum, SLS. that stuff eats my hair away and makes it vulnerable to damage and breakage.

stretching relaxers while hiding my hair. i tried to do long stretches before, but i would have breakage from my hair being exposed and manipulated. so now when i stretch, i weave my hair up. this helps me preserve my hair strand AND prevent breakage.

Back