Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2014

I wrote my hair regimen down for the first time in my life lol. Yay me! I'm done being so hair lazy. I need to hurry up and get back into my twists. Hopefully this Saturday I'll get my next set installed.

I've made a commitment to working out again 4 times per work. I also bought my first blender to make smoothies. Hopefully these changes get these last ten pounds off of me. I'm also going to deal with my emotional eating and gluttony.

I'm not finished but I'm happy with where I've come.

I need to figure out what exercise program I'm going to do after I finish my body beast insanity hybrid in 2 weeks. Nothing excites me, but if I don't have a program to follow I will slack off.

I'm going to the grocery store after I pick up my son from school. I need more veggies and fruit. I plan on making salmon tonight, but I'm not sure what to make with it. I could do angel hair pasta with homemade alfredo sauce :lick:

Why did I stop LOCing regularly? Water + grapeseed oil+ DB transitioning creme is great. Then if I braid it while it's still damp I get a great braidout. I need to do this every other night at least.

I'm still working out 6 days a week, but my heart isn't in it. I'm just doing it out of routine/habit.

^^^At least you are doing it. I am just getting back in a routine. 4 times a week is working out for me so far (pun intended).

I'm trying to go from washing once a week to twice a week. I want to kind of follow MHM and see if one day I can wear a wash n go.

I have been losing 1/2lb a week. It is slow, but after a year at the same weight I am grateful!! Once I get down to my goal weight I am getting a breast lift :yay:

Since the beginning of the year I've lost weight and my hair is growing, so I'm happy :yep: I'm not going to stress over losing weight during the holidays. I will just focusin on maintaining. I do hope to gain at least another 1/2 inch in length before the end of the year to finish on a positive note and to start 2015 in a better place.

Last edited:
I was cruising along at 135 but I've been a bit lax for the past few weeks so now I'm at 137-8. I need to buckle down and get back to 135 before the holidays. Then I'll just try to maintain at 135 until the new year. Next year I want to try and lose a few more pounds.

Aw shoot, wish I had known about this challenge earlier in the year! Well, whoever starts the 2015 challenge, please tag me! I need this thread in my life :lol: I think having others who will support me will help get me off this darn weight/exercise hump and start gettin' healthy again :yep:

I'm going to try a new way to apply my dry DC today. Instead of the relaxer method which is slow and tedious, I'm going to mix my DC with water and put it in a spray bottle and see how that works. If it works washing 2x per week will become so much easier.

ETA: I tried it and it was much quicker. I just need a spray bottle with an easier pump. I wish I could make the conditioner/oil/water mix and keep it long term. That would make it even quicker. But I know keeping product mixed with water is asking for bacteria.

Last edited:
If I had known back in college what I know now about hair and fitness, I would have been dangerous. I would have been beating the guys off with a stick.

I'm going to try a new way to apply my dry DC today. Instead of the relaxer method which is slow and tedious, I'm going to mix my DC with water and put it in a spray bottle and see how that works. If it works washing 2x per week will become so much easier.

ETA: I tried it and it was much quicker. I just need a spray bottle with an easier pump. I wish I could make the conditioner/oil/water mix and keep it long term. That would make it even quicker. But I know keeping product mixed with water is asking for bacteria.

Maybe you can put a preservative in the water. The conditioner is probably shelf stable and so is the oil. You just need to stabilize the water.

I've mixed conditioner with water for a month's use and didn't have any problem.

Let me know if you find a good spray bottle. My spray bottles tend to clog over time trying to squirt anything other than water.

[USER=377491 said:
GettingKinky[/USER];20794981]faithVA-

Do you have any suggestions for the preservative? Or maybe I'll just risk it.

If you are going to use it within 30 days I would think you would be fine. You can try some natural preservatives like vitamin E or rosemary oil. If you want to buy one I use optiphen plus when I do use it.

Here is a list of more preservatives and some details on efficacy.
https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/library/preservatives.asp

I ate a little too much trail mix today. It was just So good!! :lol: :blush:

My hair is doing great though. I have had it blown out for almost 4 weeks :yay: Yesterday I bought some new lipstick and I am in love with "Black Cherry" by E.l.f. I bought a drawstring pony too, but I haven't worn it yet.

We had the office potluck today. I think I did quite good. I had a small plate of food plus a piece of cake. I had a smoothie for dinner.

I've had an itchy scalp since I got my hair done. I've been rubbing my scalp with tea tree oil about a week but it's still kind of itchy. I'm going to apply mincazole nitrate to hopefully help clear things up. Maybe I'll get a boost in growth as a bonus.

I've been so busy cleaning, shopping and getting ready for Thanksgiving that I forgot to eat a couple times today. My angry tummy was a reminder :lachen: I am under my calories for today and I'm ok with that. I am going to make up for it tomorrow :blush:

I'm in. I've lost 16lbs since July. I have been using S Health to watch my calorie intake. No exercising, just watching everything that goes into my mouth. I want to weigh 140/145lbs by March 2014. I figure now that my hair is natural, my body has to be naturally healthy too.

I'm not apart of this challenge but I was reading an article that said exercising causes an increase in hair growth.

Has anyone experienced this?

We still have a month to go hard and get some of this weight off. My end of year goal is to be in the 140s. That means I need to lose 10lbs. Sigh

I colored my grays and got my hair flat ironed last night. I love when my hair is bouncy and shiny. If my natural hair doesn't revert too easily I may consider being a straight hair natural. It's so easy to do my hair when it's straight.

Attachments

• image-467303414.jpg
    image-467303414.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 27
  • image-2852488507.jpg
    image-2852488507.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I can't believe 2014 is almost over. I've enjoyed hanging out with you all in this thread. You all kept me motivated to workout even when I didn't feel like it.

It's almost time to make goals for 2014 so I decided to review my 2014 progress.

Hair
--Trimmed off ~5 inches bonelaxed hair
--Stopped texlaxing in June - now have 6 months of natural hair :smile:
--Attempted regular rollersetting but gave it up for braidouts because I'm lazy
--Found a faster way to apply my dry DC :-)
--Remembered how great LOC is
--Embraced the awesomeness of the scarf method
--Got my first demipermanent hair color

Weight
--went from 148 to 136
-- body fat from ~32% to ~27.5%
-- lost 11 inches from bust waist hips & thighs
-- had home cooked dinner at least most days of the week
--completed p90x3
--completed Brazil butt lift
--completed body beast
-- completed 5 week BodyBeast /Insanity hybrid
--walk my dog 1.5-3 miles a day

Happy Holidays and here's to an even better 2015!

Attachments

• image-858809616.jpg
    image-858809616.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 68
I can't believe 2014 is almost over. I've enjoyed hanging out with you all in this thread. You all kept me motivated to workout even when I didn't feel like it.

It's almost time to make goals for 2014 so I decided to review my 2014 progress.

Hair
--Trimmed off ~5 inches bonelaxed hair
--Stopped texlaxing in June - now have 6 months of natural hair :smile:
--Attempted regular rollersetting but gave it up for braidouts because I'm lazy
--Found a faster way to apply my dry DC :-)
--Remembered how great LOC is
--Embraced the awesomeness of the scarf method
--Got my first demipermanent hair color

Weight
--went from 148 to 136
-- body fat from ~32% to ~27.5%
-- lost 11 inches from bust waist hips & thighs
-- had home cooked dinner at least most days of the week
--completed p90x3
--completed Brazil butt lift
--completed body beast
-- completed 5 week BodyBeast /Insanity hybrid
--walk my dog 1.5-3 miles a day

Happy Holidays and here's to an even better 2015!

Amazing!!!!!!!

Your hair a beautiful

Let's keep this going ladies. I am still on a mission to get to 130lbs and get my hair to a blunt bsl or mbl with a V.

Last edited:
I think we need a new thread to keep this going. Anyone willing to start a new thread? I already have too many.

Back