Hair Growing Buddies Support Thread

Re: Progress Thus Far after 3 Month stretch

Hey, I relax with Mizani Lye, I am very interested in seeing how the butter blend works for you. Could you please let me know how your hair turns out? Don't worry, your hair will be just fine. Just give it a little TLC everyday.:grin:
c

It better be fantastic, the kit was like $40!! I'm used to cheapies like Dark and Lovely, I stress at $8!:lachen:

I decided to not relax this week my SO is coming over and he will just ruin it anyway :nono:. But I have to wash my hair and I won't have enough time in between to let my pores close....so I'll do it next week. :yep:

And my thing will be to moisturize my ends nightly and try a MN mixture a week after the relaxer. The ends of my hair keep breaking so I'm not retaining length at all *sigh* which kinda makes this 3 month stretch a waste but I guess I'm learning from my mistakes.

I decided to not relax this week my SO is coming over and he will just ruin it anyway :nono:. But I have to wash my hair and I won't have enough time in between to let my pores close....so I'll do it next week. :yep:

And my thing will be to moisturize my ends nightly and try a MN mixture a week after the relaxer. The ends of my hair keep breaking so I'm not retaining length at all *sigh* which kinda makes this 3 month stretch a waste but I guess I'm learning from my mistakes.
Thanks for the update girl...Maybe dusting off your ends may help curb the breakage...If you have not dusted for a while or maybe worth your while to do so after relaxing.
I am still wanting to see how your hair turns out...Are you self relaxing?
Have fun with your SO!!!!!!!!!!:blush:

Thanks for the update girl...Maybe dusting off your ends may help curb the breakage...If you have not dusted for a while or maybe worth your while to do so after relaxing.
I am still wanting to see how your hair turns out...Are you self relaxing?
Have fun with your SO!!!!!!!!!!:blush:

lol @ bolded.....can't wait to see him!

But yea I'll be self relaxing, I pretty much always do to save money. Since this is a totally new system I don't want to rush my self on not protecting my scalp. Haven't had a lye relaxer since the last time I went to a hairdresser which is like 3-4 years ago.:look:

Hair Growing Buddies-HIND YOUR HAIR UNTIL APRIL

HELLO BUDDIES!!!! ANYONE UP FOR A HIND YOU HAIR UNTIL APRIL CHALLENGE? THIS IS JUST OPEN TO THE MEMBERS OF THE HAIR GROWING BUDDIES. IF YOU ARE UP FOR IT, PLEASE POST SOME OF THE THINGS YOU PLAN TO DO OR TWICKS YOU PLAN TO MAKE IN ORDER TO HAVE THE RESULTS YOU WANT. THERE ARE NO RULES (EXCEPT THAT YOU CAN ONLY SHOW YOUR HAIR IN APRIL). THE GOAL IS UP TO YOU, WHATEVER YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE BY THEN GOES. YOU CAN ALSO LET US KNOW WHAT YOU WISH TO ACHIEVE. WE WILL SUPPORT EACH OTHER AS WE GO ALONG.:yep::grin:.

HAIR GROWING BUDDIES-HIND YOUR HAIR UNTIL APRIL CHALLENGE
Members:
Mandy4610
Aidenberry03

Last edited:
Me:meme: me:meme:. I definitely want to do this one, Mandy. I will be alternating wigs/falls with weaves. I will try to maintain my washes and DC-ing at least once a week.

I plan to keep my weave in no longer than 5 weeks at a time then wear my wig/fall for 2 weeks and then return to a 5 week weave and repeat this cycle at least twice and then relax my hair which is due in April, 2008.

This is a great challenge for me to join as I am going for APL by my next relaxer. Wish me luck everybody. BTW, I trust everyone's still growing out their hair successfully?

Re: Hair Growing Buddies-HIND YOUR HAIR UNTIL APRIL

HELLO BUDDIES!!!! ANYONE UP FOR A HIND YOU HAIR UNTIL APRIL CHALLENGE? THIS IS JUST OPEN TO THE MEMBERS OF THE HAIR GROWING BUDDIES. IF YOU ARE UP FOR IT, PLEASE POST SOME OF THE THINGS YOU PLAN TO DO OR TWICKS YOU PLAN TO MAKE IN ORDER TO HAVE THE RESULTS YOU WANT. THERE ARE NO RULES (EXCEPT THAT YOU CAN ONLY SHOW YOUR HAIR IN APRIL). THE GOAL IS UP TO YOU, WHATEVER YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE BY THEN GOES. YOU CAN ALSO LET US KNOW WHAT YOU WISH TO ACHIEVE. WE WILL SUPPORT EACH OTHER AS WE GO ALONG.:yep::grin:.

HAIR GROWING BUDDIES-HIND YOUR HAIR UNTIL APRIL CHALLENGE
Members:
Mandy4610
Aidenberry03
Aggie

Can I join this group too? I would love some support! I've already sent my email and pm :)

I have short hair, about neck length, that's relaxed and 4b, hoping to get to SL. I usually get a relaxer...let's just say too often...and my hair is suffering because of it. Sooo much breakage and I can't even comb near my ng without hearing my hair snap off :(. I'm a newbie at this so I don't have a set regiment and am still trying to find products that work for me. I just went on a Keracare splurge so I'll be using that line for a while..

For now, this is what I will try to do every 5-7 days...

Prepoo: I've been using ORS Replenishing Pak and it's amazing as either a prepoo or DC.:grin: I'm thinking about switching to Aphogee's 2 Minute Reconstructor, though. 20 mins under dryer or wet hair towel.

Shampoo: Keracare's dry and itchy scalp poo. It tingles but doesn't lather. This week I think I'll use the hydrating poo and then the dry and itchy conditioner for 5 mins.

Condition: Humecto or 2 min Reconstructor. I'm not sure if either works. Humecto left my hair kinda dry and coated. Maybe if I clarify it'll be better. If not, I'll just use a Pak after. 20 mins under dryer

Rollerset: I use magnetic rollers, keracare's leave-in, Motions' serum, spray bottle, and Macherieamour's dvd. I think I have to use the mohawk, rolling down method though because my hair is short.

Daily: Keracare's creme hairdress twice a day and Sulu Max Gro only at night, sometimes a little s-curl to soften.

On Friday I'm going to use some coconut milk and lime juice to see if it'll help stretch my relaxer (my goal is 8 weeks...this will be sooo difficult for me), we'll see how it goes..

My fotki link with starter pics and a rollerset attempt is in my profile. :yep: No pw needed.

I would like to join, I have already sent my e-mail to Mandy. My routine is faily long. It is available on my journal, or on http://valeriesmith15.myphotoalbum.com

Shampoo weekly with neem, aritha, amla, shikakai powders with a beaten egg.

Condition afterwards with Cassia obovata, amla and beaten egg with olive oil and castor oil. Cover hair with plastic bag and leave for one hour.

Daily Rinses
Conditioner, rosewater, glycerine, castor oil, olive oil, and amla oil, added water or make a herbal rinse with castor oil, olive oil, nettle, amla, horsetail, aritha, neem and added water.

Daily spritz
Aloe vera gel or juice, rosewater, glycerine, with added drops of rosemary and sage essential oil, plus the herbal tea made for the daily rinse.

Extras
Massage daily with castor oil, aloe vera, amla mixture, or mix with Wild growth oil or sulphur mix.

How is everyone doing? I am doing fine and my hair is growing Lovely, I feel by Summer my hair will be at a Nice Length!!!:grin:
Hey NappyParadise! Me and my hair are cool. I'm creeping up on month 3 of a 4 month stretch and my new growth is killing me. It's at least an inch long and becoming a huge problem. I tried the Sta-Sof-Fro and that seemed to work, but it doesn't have the most pleasant smell :lachen::lachen::lachen: I joined the Bootcamp Challenge and need to save my pass for my relaxer in March. I'm trying to hang on but I might need to SEDU this hair!!!!

Ladies, I apologize for not getting your monthly newsletters to you this month. I've been busy trying to get myself together for school. And the ideas were just not flowing :sad: Mandy and I will try to bring you a full newsletter in the next two weeks. Thanks for your patience and Happy Growing!!!

ETA... I really need to update my Fotki. I took a starting pic for Bootcamp 08' and my hair is definitely growing. Not as fast as I would like... but I'll take any progress I can get. Also, I decided to just dust my ends 1/8 inch every eight weeks. I don't think I'll be doing a serious trim until I reach BSL. And when I reach my first goal, I'm only trimming a 1/2 inch.

Last edited:
How is everyone doing? I am doing fine and my hair is growing Lovely, I feel by Summer my hair will be at a Nice Length!!!:grin:

NappyParadise I am glad to hear people in this group are making progress. I am really struggling right now with breakage, shedding, any name you have for hair leaving your head...lol...I am seriously considering cutting my hair off to about the length of yours and starting over, I haven't made up my mind yet:perplexed

I hope everyone else is doing good though, I will keep yall posted.

Broweyez22!!! Don't cut your hair LOL!!! It looks very healthy in your siggy, Have you done any protein treatments? Are you Stressed? We are here to help you, What have you been doing lately to your hair? what is your Routine/Regimen?

I am sorry for so many questions LOL!! But we need to know in order to help:yep:

Welcome back hair buddies!!!!!!!!! I was begining to wonder what happened to yall:lachen::lachen:.
Like 321 said, sorry that we have not had a newsletter for a while. Lets all work together and keep the ideas flowing:grin::grin:.

Last edited:
NappyParadise I am glad to hear people in this group are making progress. I am really struggling right now with breakage, shedding, any name you have for hair leaving your head...lol...I am seriously considering cutting my hair off to about the length of yours and starting over, I haven't made up my mind yet:perplexed

I hope everyone else is doing good though, I will keep yall posted.
Hey BrownEyez, I totally understand your frustration, I go through this all the time and each time I just wanna cut these dang strands off. The best advise I got when I was going through this a few weeks ago, was that DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR IN FRUSTRATION, you may regret it after. Try protein, maybe even a trim, extra moisture and DCing. I really feel you girl:grouphug:. HTH

I see a lot of us have been experiencing either a lot of breakage or shedding. What I did to curb this is I joined some challenges, like the WIG 2008 challenge, the 2008 BOOTCAMP hair challenge, MN challenge, the Deep Conditioning 2-3 times per week challenge and the HYH challenge which if you really think about all coincide in purpose and this has made it easy to do them all. I'm retaining my hair a lot better this way.

I use no heat except my hooded dryer for dc-ing and I co-wash once sometimes twice a week depending on whether or not I have an actual sew-in or not, in which case, it's only once a week. It's best to do this with a stocking cap on the head to avoid excess tangles. On my wig and fall days, it's easier to just remove them and wash and DC my hair as normal.

Remember ladies, Blackstrap molasses mixed with some moisturizing conditioner helps to curb breakage, and garlic mixed with olive oil helps to alleviate the shedding.

Broweyez22!!! Don't cut your hair LOL!!! It looks very healthy in your siggy, Have you done any protein treatments? Are you Stressed? We are here to help you, What have you been doing lately to your hair? what is your Routine/Regimen?

I am sorry for so many questions LOL!! But we need to know in order to help:yep:

That's ok for the questions I appreciate any help yall can offer. It did look healthy then, I was trimming to help with the breakage, but the breakage/shedding has not stopped so now its thinner.

Tried K-Pak Reconstructor, but after reading and rereading sister slicks article I felt I should focus on moisture. Used Moisture Discovery (I love this stuff) for deep cond with a cap for 45mins under the dryer for a good 15mins, ORS olive oil, rose h20/intenstive night cream(I think this last one has protein in it).
Using givonni direct leave in afterwards.
I have been washing every 7-10 days (I was scared that too much washing would make more hair come out). I was doing rollersets/saran wrap (then I got scared that was too much manipulation with the breakage I already have) so I started just letting it dry under the dryer about 90% and blow drying the bottom on low heat for no more that 2 mins I would say. Then I did some bantu set, I like it curly, but I can’t always wear it like that.

I also had a mishap with a relaxer Mizani Rhelxer for sensitve scalp and under processed myself on the 22 of dec, I was trying to be extra careful and didn't want to leave it on too long. This was my first time doing my own relaxer, I did good in application except I should've processed it longer. I was worred about over processing.
I also have a vakita(sp), olive oil, castor oil, mn, peppermint concotion :lachen: I have been using on my scalp maybe 2-3 days a week and my new growth looks good coming in, its just what is left that is the problem.

I am currently not stressed out, I have a lot of good things happening to me lately, I got a promotion at work which will help me pay for school, I am hitting the 30lbs mark on my weight lost journey, and my bday is approaching in March. MY HAIR JUST WILL NOT GET ON BOARD! LOL. And I’m scared this breakage is gonna continue until I have fuzzy spots with just new growth everywhere and looking at these dense roots I have connected to these see thru stringy ends is pissing me off. I can remember when my hair fell in thick sheets not strings, and it would start to get a “heavy” feeling when it got longer. I miss that.

Last edited:
Hey BrownEyez, I totally understand your frustration, I go through this all the time and each time I just wanna cut these dang strands off. The best advise I got when I was going through this a few weeks ago, was that DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR IN FRUSTRATION, you may regret it after. Try protein, maybe even a trim, extra moisture and DCing. I really feel you girl:grouphug:. HTH

I know I don't want to regret cutting my hair, I think I may try one more trim back, stay away from direct heat and see what it does. I am was just thinking maybe I need a fresh start, my ng and first inches are so dense compared to the rest of my hair, and I am wondering how much of that I can gain back.:perplexed

I know I don't want to regret cutting my hair, I think I may try one more trim back, stay away from direct heat and see what it does. I am was just thinking maybe I need a fresh start, my ng and first inches are so dense compared to the rest of my hair, and I am wondering how much of that I can gain back.:perplexed

i dont think you should compare your ng and your ends in terms of thickness because whenever you have growth the ends will look thin regardless. when i started my journey in november i had braids and when i removed the braids i thought my previously relaxed hair was in such bad shape cause it looked so thin cause of 14 weeks worth of growth i was so frustrated :wallbash: and wanted to cut it but held on til i did my retouch and almost by magic lol my hair got back to shape, i think you just need a break from your hair before you do something drastic. Take pics and show us because sometimes we are our own worst critics.

Well I did my relaxer but it didn't come out great. I prepared myself so much to prevent overlap, burning, over-processing....that it didn't out as well as i wanted. So I'm not judging the Butter Blend on this time. I added oil to it which i just shouldn't have done since my hair tends to resist straightening. I have enough in the tub to last me a couple times, so next time I won't add oil or not as much. I want to know if the good feeling texture I had in my hair post-rinse is due to the butter blend or the oil.

My hair grew a tiny bit but I want more so....

My next thing is to try a MN mix with some oils and sulfer8. Also I want to buy some SAA to add to my conditioners and DCs.

Oh and pictures are in my fotki so how much length do you think I gained? Next I'll need to take a better consistent shot to use for comparison.

i just have to say your hair is lovely. you've made such progress. my hair is natural and the length of your display pic, and it's in snail mode. i just have to ask. what are you using?

i'm checking in. i haven't been gone for awhile. i've moved and was getting everything settled. you know how that goes. my hair made very little progress, but at least i can pick it up. my guess is that it's about 1/4" long. i need some MAJOR help. i'm currently living in a place with extremely hard water and unpredictable weather. how am i suppose to take care of my hair in these living conditions?

Well I did my relaxer but it didn't come out great. I prepared myself so much to prevent overlap, burning, over-processing....that it didn't out as well as i wanted. So I'm not judging the Butter Blend on this time. I added oil to it which i just shouldn't have done since my hair tends to resist straightening. I have enough in the tub to last me a couple times, so next time I won't add oil or not as much. I want to know if the good feeling texture I had in my hair post-rinse is due to the butter blend or the oil.

My hair grew a tiny bit but I want more so....

My next thing is to try a MN mix with some oils and sulfer8. Also I want to buy some SAA to add to my conditioners and DCs.

Oh and pictures are in my fotki so how much length do you think I gained? Next I'll need to take a better consistent shot to use for comparison.
Don't worry girl. Trial and error, thats how we know what is what and thats how we learn. As long as you still have hair on your head, you are ok :grin::lachen:, you will definitely do better as you add or eliminate products. I will check out your fotki as soon as I get home from work.:yep:

i just have to say your hair is lovely. you've made such progress. my hair is natural and the length of your display pic, and it's in snail mode. i just have to ask. what are you using?

i'm checking in. i haven't been gone for awhile. i've moved and was getting everything settled. you know how that goes. my hair made very little progress, but at least i can pick it up. my guess is that it's about 1/4" long. i need some MAJOR help. i'm currently living in a place with extremely hard water and unpredictable weather. how am i suppose to take care of my hair in these living conditions?
I read in one of sistaslicks articles that, if you live in a place with hard water, you should use a clarifying/chelating shampoo more often. Let me know if you need the link. I think that DCing and cowashing may be helpful too. HTH

Hi all! Just wanted to stop in the say "chello":lachen::grin:...btw Wawa your hair looks great! I checked your fotki out and the relaxer looks nice and the ponytail is fab!! Anyhoo...not much of an update here...seems like my hair just stopped growing and I'm still having the shedding/breaking issues although I'm doing everything I should be doing...I beleive I cannot get the moisture/protein balance together:wallbash:...any ideas ladies?:look:

hmmm...don't know why my fotki hyperlink won't show in my siggy:nono::look:
http://public.fotki.com/renita66/

Last edited:

I agree with Mandy, you should use a clarifying/chelating shampoo more often than once a month. You may also use a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar mixed in about a pint of distilled water, and lastly DC as often as possible, perhaps twice a week if possible.

Last edited:
:grin:

Awwww! Thank You!!! I feel so happy right now LOL!!! because usually short haired people don't that many compliments, so I take mine and run with them LOL!!!!! Well even since the display pic it has grown, but I try not to focus too much on that because then I will get frustrated.I don't really do too much at the moment because it is so short, But I do some conditioner washes with Jessicurl Too Shea Moisturizing Conditioner and it makes my hair so soft:yep: I also use Fantasia IC Gel with Sparklelites for my wash n go's, But I am getting kind of tired of that one.

So I am gonna go and buy me a phony pony comb attatchment and wear that for awhile:grin: Since my hair is so short, I don't need alot of products, But I Love Hair milks, So I am gonna try Carols Daughter Hair Milk, I tried Myashas but my experience wasn't to pleasant, but her products are good. Also I just can't wait 10 days for delivery LOL!!! I am ordering Carols Daughter from sistasplace.com since they carry it now:grin: and I won't have to deal with CD's crappy customer service. So I am pretty simple, I know I said more than you asked:grin:

Back