Hair Growing Buddies Support Thread

Thanks 321 and Aggie, I bought the Nutrine Garlic Conditioner yesterday. I did an oil rinse with castor and olive oil last night. I washed my hair and put the Garlic Conditioner and left it on my hair for 90 seconds. So we shall see what's up.

I am a 4a/b-ish natural, shoulder length who just recently got serious. I am recovering from what I like to call "the horn comb debacle" which caused me the have the most shredded (literally) damaged hair I have ever seen in my life (also, literally).

I am a do-it-myselfer for many years now, having given up on salons a long time ago. My biggest challenges are leaving the scissors alone, finding tools I like, styles I will actually wear, and--right this second--bringing my moisture level back into balance.

Regimen:
I wash about twice a week with lots of water and a little citric acid added to a cheapie conditioner. Just before applying the cleaning mix, I massage coconut oil through my hair.

I air dry, usually with a turban towel, until my hair is damp. Then I spray with a homemade mix and braid. I spray everytime I style, i.e. everyday.

Usually I wear a bun or french braids 'cause I'm extraordinarily lazy.

Last edited:
Here goes!

Hair type--3c/4a, Transitioning from bone straight to natural :grin:

Length--Between SL and APL (Just grazing APL..but wouldn't call it that yet)

Goal Reach between APL and BSL and then begin trimming until I'm fully natural

Current Regimen

Wash Cycle
  • Every few days, Co wash with Garnier Fructics Long and Strong or Suave Wild Berries
  • Once weekly, Deep condition with Queen Helen Cholestoral with Ginseng

Styling
  • With soaking wet hair after a wash, moisturize with Mane n Tail Moisturizing Conditioner, seal with oil or JASON Mango butter (organic:yep:) Twist out
  • Daily, spray hair, concentrating on ends with homemade spray (Water, Honey, Mane N Tail Conditioner) rub a little MNT Conditioner on ends, seal with oil or mango butter, Twist out

Extras--Sometimes I use MN on my scalp..when I can remember. Would like to use it atleast twice a week

I'm trying to find the software for my camera so I can get a fotki started and monitor my progress

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
I have already submitted my email. My stats are below.

Hair Type: 3c/4a/b
Description: Curly, wiry, thick, coarse, spongy, and excessively dry :nono:

Texturized: I began lightly texturizing (at a salon) natural hair in February 2007. I began transitioning in November 2006. Currently, my hair is growing out of the TWA stage and is long enough to create a cute puff. I texturize every 6 weeks; however, I have just begun to stretch for 3 months. I am hoping to texturize 4x/year in 2008, beginning in January.
Goal: healthy; chin length - December, 2008. :drunk:

Regimen: My regimen is far from bullet proof; however, I have found a few staples.
Conditioner wash - 1x per week (Abba Tru Mint, Soft Sheen Carson Professional Conditioner, Nature's Gate Herbal :lick:)
Deep conditioner - 1x per week using my very own DC Cocktail
Prepoo - Soft Sheen Carson Reconstructor - 2x per month
Oil rinses - evoo - weekly
Protect hair at night
Wash n Go with low manipulation and combing only while co washing; no heat!!

Products: My hair loves glycerine! One year ago, the nape area of my hair was completely bald due to use of excessive heat etc :wallbash:. My stylist recommended using natural glycerine, 1x per day, to this area. She also recommended using a silk scarf for my neck area. I could not believe the results :yep: and today my nape is no longer a problem. Since then, I have stuck to products high in glycerine.

Other products I love: avacado butter (the best kept secret), Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding, Aveda Brilliant, the Wave Nouveau Line, 10 en 1.

I am so grateful to the women on this board for sharing so much information and for being so helpful:yep:. Thanks everyone. Please pm or email me! I would love to chat.

LaBelle, 321 is right but if you can't find any of the Nutrine shampoo and conditioner or the Queen Helene conditioner, I would recommend taking about 7 cloves of crushed garlic, or blend them with about 2oz of EVOO, heat in microwave oven just warm enough to put on your scalp. Put on a shower cap and keep this mixture on for about 30 minutes with or without heat (I use heat). I did this while I was waiting for my alter ego garlic treatment to arrive.

If you crush the garlic, try to get them fine enough so they don't stay in your hair when it's time to wash it out. I wash mine out by kneeling down in the tub and let heavy water flow over my hair while swishing it a little to loose the garlic attached to my hair. I try to make enough to use at least 3 or 4 times, I simply refridgerate the unused portion. The above mixture is enough to be used about 3 times. Trust me this really works well. My shedding was reduced by at least 80% after the second application. Now I have no shedding.
Just wondering, if Garlic put on hair helps stop shedding, would garlic supplements do the same?

Just wondering, if Garlic put on hair helps stop shedding, would garlic supplements do the same?

I don't believe they do Mandy. Garlic supplements are marketed for cholesterol, blood pressure, and prevention of cancer. But all my die-hard health nut friends discouraged me from taking them because they don't interact well with other medications and supplements(i.e. aspirin, and my beloved cod liver oil pills). The reason it's supposed to help your hair is because it contains sulfur. But I was told if I wanted the benefits just to eat garlic, as opposed to taking the supplements. Asparagus also contains some of the same properties.

I don't believe they do Mandy. Garlic supplements are marketed for cholesterol, blood pressure, and prevention of cancer. But all my die-hard health nut friends discouraged me from taking them because they don't interact well with other medications and supplements(i.e. aspirin, and my beloved cod liver oil pills). The reason it's supposed to help your hair is because it contains sulfur. But I was told if I wanted the benefits just to eat garlic, as opposed to taking the supplements. Asparagus also contains some of the same properties.
Thanks girls, I am glad I asked before going ahead and taking those pills (I hate taking pills any way, you should see be trying to down my Vits and Omega:nono: Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!:perplexed). I definately do not need to worry about BP, cholestrol and Cancer......................Yet...............:spinning:

Thanks girls, I am glad I asked before going ahead and taking those pills (I hate taking pills any way, you should see be trying to down my Vits and Omega:nono: Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!:perplexed). I definately do not need to worry about BP, cholestrol and Cancer......................Yet...............:spinning:

321 is right. The garlic pills do nothing for shedding but it does a host of other health benefits. I wouldn't eat raw garlic though because of the breath problem I'd have to deal with. UGGGGHH!!!:nono:

Ladies, The newsletter has been emailed out. We hope you enjoy it, and we are looking forward to your feedback. And Aggie there is no way I'm eating raw garlic for my hair, but it was a suggestion for the more adventurous :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Ladies, The newsletter has been emailed out. We hope you enjoy it, and we are looking forward to your feedback. And Aggie there is no way I'm eating raw garlic for my hair, but it was a suggestion for the more adventurous :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

LMAO:lachen::lachen::lachen:! ! !

You guys did a WONDERFUL job on the newsletter. Thanks Mandy4610 and 321 for organizing us.:clap:

You guys did a WONDERFUL job on the newsletter. Thanks Mandy4610 and 321 for organizing us.:clap:

I second this. Many thanks for working on it to help all of us out with our hair growth. I must say I was very impressed that the first newsletter was not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 pages long. WOW!!!

Great Job!!!

This Newsletter is AMAZING!! You Ladies did and EXCELLENT JOB!! I am really impressed:yep: I am so Honored to be apart of this Buddie System!!!

Thanks everyone!!! It was definitely a group effort and we have amazing ideas coming for the next one! Keep the suggestions coming, and please email us your responses to the survey when you get a chance :yep:

yes .. I agree fabulous job on the newsletter..

I was also thinking of a "personals section". In the sense that you can post your stats and if people want to contact you they can by PMing your screen name. :rolleyes:

Okay Ya'll I made a Fotki but I'ma tell you right now it ain't much to look at, I just have a few pics of my hair as of Today, I will add more as time go on, I am excited to finally let my hair grow out after 4 years, So I am just very excited! Well I don't have a Set Regimen because I do different things. I was wearing a Phony Pony as a Protective style but since I am TRYING to start back exercising the Phony just ain't working, So I will just grow it out with it all out, Plus that comb attachment just gets to me, Also I need to Co wash my hair after a workout. I am just tired of Fake hair & wigs.

But right now I am using my Shampoo Bar & Using Fresh Dried Herbs as a Conditioner, I use it about 2-3 times a week.

I apply Claudies Satin Hair Moisturizer & Claudies Growth Elixer 3 times a week & I use Claudies Edge Balm for my edges.

Now all of this might change when summer comes because I love for my hair to smell like coconuts in the summer and that is when I will Co-wash daily and use my S-Curl/Infusium Spray. I am thinking of trying to baggy at night because the oils coming through my scarf and getting on my pillow is making my face break out, But I will poke small holes in the baggy. I don't use much oil but I guess when you lay flat it sort of seeps through LOL!!!

Last edited:
Okay Ya'll I made a Fotki but I'ma tell you right now it ain't much to look at, I just have a few pics of my hair as of Today, I will add more as time go on, I am excited to finally let my hair grow out after 4 years, So I am just very excited! Well I don't have a Set Regimen because I do different things. I was wearing a Phony Pony as a Protective style but since I am TRYING to start back exercising the Phony just ain't working, So I will just grow it out with it all out, Plus that comb attachment just gets to me, Also I need to Co wash my hair after a workout. I am just tired of Fake hair & wigs.

Don't feel bad I have one too.. and its just for my personal comparisons at this point. :yep::yep:

Don't feel bad I have one too.. and its just for my personal comparisons at this point. :yep::yep:

LOL!! Good! I don't want to just keep focusing on pics, I like to space them out,Like every 3 months,then add a few pics, But My hair is already short and won't get much attention anyway right now, I didn't even post the link because I am trying to make it at least look interesting LOL!!! But I know for me Taking too many pics will frustrate me, So around Feb. I will take pics after my touch up, But my avitar is my starting length!:yep:

Good Luck To Everyone! I know we will al reach our Goals, and don't go too far with your Products & Regimens, you wanna make it to where you can keep up with this on your own, in case internet EVER DISSAPPEAR, But we know that ain't soon. Just try to stick to the Basics and if you use a growth aide, Don't depend on it for all your growth, also don't pop too many pills only what is needed. Because I want my hair to continue to grow by keeping a simple regimen. with simple products.

I plan on stop online ordering because it seems that you get a good homemade product and then they just stop making the products and then I am stuck out LOL!! I plan to only buy things out of the stores. I have a Vitamin shoppe that sells Aubrey Organics and other good stuff and I have Sallys & wal mart, But I do want to work on trying to make a Homemade Moisturizer for my hair.

Anybody know a recipe to one? LOL!! I don't like shea butter it does nothing for my hair, I am Tex-Laxed so I have Chemicals and need one that can Strengthen & Moisturize. But for now I am using what I got, That won't be gone until Late '2008' LOL!! But I Love my Claudies Satin Hair Moisturizer, it does both,Moisturize & Strengthen!!

Okay ya'll we need homemade recipes for hair moisturzers:lick:

Okay ladies here goes.

I'm a 4a/4b. My hair generally does what it wants to do. Some time I LOVE and other times I hate it.

It's about neck length with a bang that's growing out way faster than the rest of it.

I've just gotten serious about growing my hair to it's fullest capacity.
My general regimen was I would get a motions regular relaxer every 5 or 6 weeks I'm going to stretch to eight and see how that goes. I've been going to the dominicans every sat or sun. I think I'm just going to go every other week now.

I co washed it on Mon and put it in knots that took until today (tues) to dry. The knots in the back came out pretty well the ones on the top just seem frizzy. Other than that I'm just making it up as I go along and hope that with you ladies help I'll have swinging hair in no time.

LOL!! Good! I don't want to just keep focusing on pics, I like to space them out,Like every 3 months,then add a few pics, But My hair is already short and won't get much attention anyway right now, I didn't even post the link because I am trying to make it at least look interesting LOL!!! But I know for me Taking too many pics will frustrate me, So around Feb. I will take pics after my touch up, But my avitar is my starting length!:yep:

Good Luck To Everyone! I know we will al reach our Goals, and don't go too far with your Products & Regimens, you wanna make it to where you can keep up with this on your own, in case internet EVER DISSAPPEAR, But we know that ain't soon. Just try to stick to the Basics and if you use a growth aide, Don't depend on it for all your growth, also don't pop too many pills only what is needed. Because I want my hair to continue to grow by keeping a simple regimen. with simple products.

I plan on stop online ordering because it seems that you get a good homemade product and then they just stop making the products and then I am stuck out LOL!! I plan to only buy things out of the stores. I have a Vitamin shoppe that sells Aubrey Organics and other good stuff and I have Sallys & wal mart, But I do want to work on trying to make a Homemade Moisturizer for my hair.

Anybody know a recipe to one? LOL!! I don't like shea butter it does nothing for my hair, I am Tex-Laxed so I have Chemicals and need one that can Strengthen & Moisturize. But for now I am using what I got, That won't be gone until Late '2008' LOL!! But I Love my Claudies Satin Hair Moisturizer, it does both,Moisturize & Strengthen!!

Okay ya'll we need homemade recipes for hair moisturzers:lick:

Hey there, you might be able to find a good moisturizing recipe in the recipe section of the forum.

The newsletter is awesome :drunk:. I have even created my very own hair file to store each issue. Keep it coming Mandy 4610 and 321. AMAZING JOB!

Back