Votes: 7 16.3%
  • MBL

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • TBL+

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • WL

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
Hey all I haven’t been in this thread forever, but I’ve been thinking lately about the best way to wear my hair in a ponytail or bun without causing ponytail damage. I typically use a puff cuff and I don’t get hair wrapped around it like with an elastic hair band, but I feel like it still causes wearing of the hair that it rubs against it and sometimes hair gets caught in the hinge.

I was thinking of maybe trying hairsticks, but I can’t seem to find pictures/videos of women with natural unstretched hair using them.

Does anyone here have experience using hairsticks on natural hair?

Another way I used to put my hair up was with flexi8 clips, but the decorative metal can also snag my hair, but I see that they make leather ones and ones that are coated in plastic.

I think I’m going to buy one smooth flexi-8 and 1-2 hair sticks and start playing around. But I have no idea how long of a stick I should get.

After years of only wearing wash n gos and pony/puffs I’m excited to try something different.

Maybe I will even do light blowouts so I can bun more easily.

Last edited:
I’m inspired this morning, and since I’m going to wash my hair soon so it doesn’t matter how much I screw up my hair playing around with it.

I was able to do a curly bun pretty easily with spin pins (first picture). I could actually see myself wearing my hair like that outside of the house.

Then I grabbed some chopsticks and tried to do something with them. That will take A LOT of practice before I could wear it out of the house. When I wrap my hair in a fairly tight bun, the chopstick can’t penetrate it, but then if I loosen my hair a bit I don’t like the way it look in the front. I played around for awhile but then my arms got tired. IMG_3193.jpegIMG_3194.jpegIMG_3195.jpeg

I’m inspired this morning, and since I’m going to wash my hair soon so it doesn’t matter how much I screw up my hair playing around with it.

I was able to do a curly bun pretty easily with spin pins (first picture). I could actually see myself wearing my hair like that outside of the house.

Then I grabbed some chopsticks and tried to do something with them. That will take A LOT of practice before I could wear it out of the house. When I wrap my hair in a fairly tight bun, the chopstick can’t penetrate it, but then if I loosen my hair a bit I don’t like the way it look in the front. I played around for awhile but then my arms got tired. View attachment 496295View attachment 496297View attachment 496299

I absolutely love this!!! Looks so good on you, and very relaxed. Your hair looks so lush, too!

I discovered a new product since I’ve been researching Kérastase this weekend. There’s a extensioniste line meant to help with hair growth. I’ve always liked the hair oils but I stopped buying it since the cost isn’t exactly cheap. I can’t find nearly enough reviews from POC so I guess this’ll be another very expensive experiment.

They have a scalp serum that although has “bad” ingredients, I’d be interested in seeing if I notice an improvement. I have been holding on to my ends for an event that I wanted longer hair for and I imagine I’ll be doing some cutting soon.

I discovered a new product since I’ve been researching Kérastase this weekend. There’s a extensioniste line meant to help with hair growth. I’ve always liked the hair oils but I stopped buying it since the cost isn’t exactly cheap. I can’t find nearly enough reviews from POC so I guess this’ll be another very expensive experiment.

They have a scalp serum that although has “bad” ingredients, I’d be interested in seeing if I notice an improvement. I have been holding on to my ends for an event that I wanted longer hair for and I imagine I’ll be doing some cutting soon.
@ScorpioLove I know @Prettymetty used to use A few lines from this brand, so she may be familiar. I've only dabbled with shampoo conditioner from Kerastase, so I don't have much input.

I was thinking about BeeMine and how much I really liked the growth oil. I had the strawberry kiwi! Tried mango, but Strawberry Kiwi was my favorite! It was such a good product, anyone know of a similar oil?

I love the resistance line. Extentioniste has a great mask and heat protectant.

That’s definitely reassuring. I’m waiting on my Kérastase package in the mail but I wish I could find the more cost effective salon sized masks.

What is your favorite and least favorite shampoo, mask, serum and oil?
My favorite mask right now is Morrocan Oil. I don’t really have a favorite shampoo anymore, but it was Creme of Nature original. Kerastase Nutritive serum. My favorite oil is a blend I made with olive, castor and avocado oils.

Update

I decided to get a SilkPress (Straightening) and Trim because I have an event to go this weekend.
MAJOR SETBACK ALERT.

Again, I only wanted a trim and communicated this to my stylist. We took pictures and agreed on a set amount. However, she cut and cut and kept snipping away to clean up. Then I think what really happened, was she initially cut too much and she wanted to even it out, so she kept cutting. So, I am basically almost an inch from right where I started LAST YEAR. I am very very upset. I was ranting to my Boyfriend and my family. They thought the Before Pic was the final look Lmao.

On the positive side, My hair did grow!
I really think MSM, vitamins, water, protein shakes, protective style, and moisturizing routine worked perfectly for length retention. I had no issues with detangling or wash days. Everything was going great. I just wanted a trim to make sure I was on the right path.
From now on, I will be doing my own Trims and straightening. I'm going to just do everything myself. Every year I do to a stylist and get a setback. I have so much hair horror stories and I'm surprised my hair and scalp still bless me with some length retention.

Before:

Attachments

• IMG_8589.jpg
    IMG_8589.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8588.jpg
    IMG_8588.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8587.jpg
    IMG_8587.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 27
The Month of May
- I wore low back bun with a claw lip
- No vitamins/No MSM
- My water intake was lot less
I was stressed out with keeping with life :drunk:

Now this is my new length but I am going to grow it out. Also I hate the fuggy V Shape she made my hair into. I got a Bob Last year because I love blunt cut. My hair is already full/thick but I love the shape of blunt cut on natural hair and straighten look.

• I'm going back to Protective Styling (2mo Max intervals)
  • Daily Vitamins/MSM & Increased Water Intake
  • Diet & Some minimal exercise
  • Regular Hair care

After:

Attachments

• IMG_8591.jpg
    IMG_8591.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8590.jpg
    IMG_8590.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 28
@AbbBe
It's is disappointing when someone not only cuts away your progress, then you are left with the aftermath of shorter hair and the feeling that you were not listened to or respected by the stylist. It even impacts the event you wanted to attend.

Now, here's a possible other side of it...

You grew your hair full, thick, healthy, long and even with a process-based hair care regimen that YOU developed for yourself. In addition to this, you KNOW how to repeat this process for yourself. No one can ever take that knowledge of how you got there. Once you learn it, that information is theoretically there in your head forever.

The third thing, which directly relates to your hair is, you have freshly cut ends upon which to work your magic with the hair process you developed. A lot of people start with very ragged and split and knotted ends. You have the BEST Ends, as in they are freshly cut, upon which to start and re-apply your very effective hair process. As you continue to gain length this time, as you document, you will have an invaluable record of your process. That is priceless.

Again, I'm sorry that this happened. Unfortunately, it happens all too often. Thank you for sharing with us.

@AbbBe I’m so sorry this happened. I know how frustrating this can be. From the pictures, it does look like the stylist just plain ol’ F’d up. No rhyme or reason to this cut. :nono:

Good news is… You know how to grow hair and retain length. You got the juice! I have no doubt that your hair is going to grow back quickly and even healthier with the plan you’ve outlined. I’ve seen women on this forum make remarkable comebacks from these sort of setbacks. I wish the same for you. Happy hair growing!

My ends are fuller and thicker and more even. I am at a newer length. I believe I am about 3.5 inches away from my current length goal. For my situation that means that the longest parts of my hair need to drop about 3.5 inches. Once there, that will be my "GOAL/HOLD POINT".

I will keep the hair there by trimming any and all hair off that tries to grow past that point. If I can stay off my throne and NOT return to being the Set-Back Queen, I may be able to reach that point by December 2024.

No new products or processes.
No hairstyle changes.

I just got to continue on this horse and ride it out until the end of December.

giphy.gif

I decided to wear a spin pin bun today.

I did it on wet hair, but I think it might have been better to do it on dry hair. I’m not 100% sure that the spin pins are gentle enough to use on wet hair.

But it was super easy to bun my hair and I didn’t need a hair tie at all.

I decided to wear a spin pin bun today.

I did it on wet hair, but I think it might have been better to do it on dry hair. I’m not 100% sure that the spin pins are gentle enough to use on wet hair.

But it was super easy to bun my hair and I didn’t need a hair tie at all.

Do you have the Goody spin pins or another brand. I believe mine have balls on the ends so that they're not sharp.

I never sleep in a bun or ponytail so I tool down my spin pin bun before bed. I didn’t see a single broken hair in the pins.

For sure this is going to be a new staple style for me. Maybe I will damp bun all summer.

Maybe I will order some hair forks next, they seem like they may be a bit easier to use than hair sticks.

I have had these spin pins for YEARs probably since 2015, why did I never use them?

I can put my curly unstretched hair up in a bun in less than 3 minutes- with no ponytail holder.

I think it’s a mindset change. In the past I always wanted my hair slicked into a bun. Now I’m content to leave it puffy/curly instead of sleek.

I have had these spin pins for YEARs probably since 2015, why did I never use them?

I can put my curly unstretched hair up in a bun in less than 3 minutes- with no ponytail holder.

I think it’s a mindset change. In the past I always wanted my hair slicked into a bun. Now I’m content to leave it puffy/curly instead of sleek.

Right? I've got mine sitting in my drawer for about the same length of time. They're so easy to use and I don't feel any tension using them and yet I never reach for them. Do they even sell them anymore?

They're so good that I wish that I'd bought their bun cuff, but alas, they no longer make it.

Back