Gosh I've been SL forever!!

IA wholeheartedly, sometimes I have doubts that I will get past this length. I don't use heat, co wash, air dry, and take vitamins- Grrrrrrrr.

I claimed SL since October 31 and I'm still SL.

Granted I did trim off at least an inch on 2 separate occasions between then and now.... but jeez man

How tall are you? I'm 5'11", and there's 6"+ between SL and APL for me :ohwell:

So at 0.5" per month I am expecting it to take over a year :(

Are you taking good photos to document. At least if you can see a little change it won't feel so discouraging. Also, your hair in your siggy is just goregeos.

Are you taking good photos to document. At least if you can see a little change it won't feel so discouraging. Also, your hair in your siggy is just goregeos.

Thank you!! ^^

this was when I claimed SL (Oct.31 2008)

CIMG3777-vi.jpg

12 weeks later (Mid January 2009)

CIMG3823-vi.jpg

Sometime in March 2009

attachment.php

and the attached was taken at the end of May

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 27
I think the reason many of us are stuck at shoulder length is because we don't protective style. So our ends keep rubbing on our clothes in addition to being dried by the air so they break off or split and later break off. Majority of people who have gone beyond shoulder to APL and BSL are protective stylers.

It's taking forever for me as well, but I did have a setback and had another inch cut yesterday. I am still hoping to make it by December though.

you hair is very pretty

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing when I saw your siggy, I love the long layers at the ends.

If bunning is working for you, I would just go for it. Maybe compromise with your SO and maybe wear your hair down once a week until you get to your goal.

Last edited:
Val,

I know exactly how you feel. I so feel you, girl. My length is about the same as yours and I think I claimed SL in Oct 08 as well. I am 5'7, so not as tall as you, but I believe I am in the same boat.

I see a lot of progress with your pictures. For whatever reason, I just think it is hard to tell the difference in growth by the shoulders. It seems so much easier to see growth from TWA - SL and then APL and beyond. I guess this is why everyone claims SL to APL is the hardest. Because it's hard to see growth and takes the longest amount of time because this is the longest part of the body to conquer.

Hang in there. Is your current goal to make APL by December?

I don't care for buns myself but I guess it's something I'm going to have to do.

I hate buns as well, and I actually got some breakage from wearing them. My protective style of choice is weaves and half-wigs. I have been close to APL for 6-months now so I am getting frustrated.

I think that at shoulder length the hair seems to grow out more than down. I see lots of progress in your pic from Oct to your siggy pic now. Hang in there. I'm at the long end of SL now, I have about 2 inches to go until I get to APL and probably 3 until I am full APL. I moisturize and seal almost every night and I PS most of the time. I want to be APL by the end of September if I can. Even though I am a heat straightened natural, I have revamped my whole regi for the next 12 weeks, to include lots of conditioning and very very little and gentle heat. If I don't make it I will be soo discouraged, my hair grows super fast I just can't retain any of it.

Val,

I know exactly how you feel. I so feel you, girl. My length is about the same as yours and I think I claimed SL in Oct 08 as well. I am 5'7, so not as tall as you, but I believe I am in the same boat.

I see a lot of progress with your pictures. For whatever reason, I just think it is hard to tell the difference in growth by the shoulders. It seems so much easier to see growth from TWA - SL and then APL and beyond. I guess this is why everyone claims SL to APL is the hardest. Because it's hard to see growth and takes the longest amount of time because this is the longest part of the body to conquer.

Hang in there. Is your current goal to make APL by December?
I'm looking to make APL by October
Val, what's your reggi like ? Have you used any growth aids ?
I wash once a week and DC once a week. I've cut down Flat ironing to 2 times a month. I moisturize and seal 2 to 3 times a week. I wrap my hair and cover with a silk scarf everynight.

I am currently 5 weeks post relaxer now. My hair might have been a bit longer but I cut about 2 inches between October and April.

I've been trying to wear my hair is a bun but my S/O hates it..... he's always on my case to wear my hair down.

How about getting a weave or a wig. I'm telling you, sometimes you have to ignore the whining and do what you know is right. When the dude sees how long your hair became because of the sacrifice, he'll get the message. Hubby-mine couldn't stand me wearing twists all the time. He wanted me to comb my hair. But when I pressed it and he saw how much longer it had grown, he got it. He had long given up whining but when I asked him if he now understood why I'm so stubborn, he nodded and said a resounding "I get it!".

I think that at shoulder length the hair seems to grow out more than down. I see lots of progress in your pic from Oct to your siggy pic now. Hang in there. I'm at the long end of SL now, I have about 2 inches to go until I get to APL and probably 3 until I am full APL. I moisturize and seal almost every night and I PS most of the time. I want to be APL by the end of September if I can. Even though I am a heat straightened natural, I have revamped my whole regi for the next 12 weeks, to include lots of conditioning and very very little and gentle heat. If I don't make it I will be soo discouraged, my hair grows super fast I just can't retain any of it.
My hair grows fast too but retention is my problem. I had 2 set backs which caused me to cut an inch off both times. The ends were just looking so horrible. Then I have a 3rd set back where my nape just broke off. It's growing in now.

A lot of people say that it is hard to get past SL because the ends of the hair brush directly against the shoulders (which may cause breakage) what about braids or a sew in to hide your hair for a bit ?

How about getting a weave or a wig. I'm telling you, sometimes you have to ignore the whining and do what you know is right. When the dude sees how long your hair became because of the sacrifice, he'll get the message. Hubby-mine couldn't stand me wearing twists all the time. He wanted me to comb my hair. But when I pressed it and he saw how much longer it had grown, he got it. He had long given up whining but when I asked him if he now understood why I'm so stubborn, he nodded and said a resounding "I get it!".
The other day he said "is that all your hair? It looks like it's growing." But he is just so stubborn. He feels that when my hair is pulled back in one, it's not combed. *smh*

I've been thinking about braiding.... I need to find a new person because I moved so the girl who did my hair is no longer nearby. She did my hair like I asked, no pulling or tight braids. Hopefully I find someone who will listen.

I really don't want to wear a wig or weave in this New Orleans heat..... It gives me a headache.

Well it seems I'm not alone with this one. I'm wondering when the growth will just take off to APL. Grant it, I'm not wearing protective styles every week becuase the buns were starting to get really boring and my edges were starting to get frail. I just learned to how to blow dry correctly, and for the past week or so have been wearing my hair down. I'm only 6 weeks post, but will start doing twists on the next wash as my protective style. Good luck ladies!

Forget what your SO thinks and protective style...
explain to him exactly why you're doing it...my SO used to always ask me to wear my hair down when but when i explained to him in detail, why i was doing it and showed him the growafrohairlong site he totally understood. Now he always looks forward to the days i take my braids down so he can see how much my hair hair grown.
Just like the lady who's SO didn't like her wearing a scarf to bed, you gotta put that aside and do what's best for you and your hair...good luck :-)

I'm on a 6 month relaxer stretch. I will relax in Sept. and if I'm not happy with my length I think I'm going to put it away and get a weave.

How tall are you? I'm 5'11", and there's 6"+ between SL and APL for me :ohwell:

So at 0.5" per month I am expecting it to take over a year :(

I'm 5'11 as well and it took me from March 31st, 2008, till March 13th, 2009 to claim APL again :S

A long year, but I'm sure your results will be worth it ;)

And OP: How often are you dc'ing? Try dc'ing twice a week if you aren't already. That might help as it did for me.

Back